The price for modern golf equipment is absurd

anth

I was always a cheap-a**, bought clubs used, and saved money on each piece of equipment so I could buy many more pieces of equipment ha ha! Was out of the game for 3 years and was surprised at the escalation in prices, so yes, going and buying a set of Callaway Apex irons from your local Dick’s is going to be over $200 a stick. Ouch. 

On the other hand, going and grabbing a set of Eye 2s brand new in 1990 was a lot of cash, and if you sprang for the BeCu version, look out! So I’d say premium clubs have always been costly. 

What we have going for us now is there have never been as many options to get set up for a great value. The DTC brands (Sub70, New Level, PXG, and several more) make great gear, and you also have official pre owned sources from several manufacturers if you don’t want the hassle of the eBay circus. 

I imagine that currency and shipping are a serious extra expense if you are in Oz. But then, you get to live there 🙂 so the price is worth it. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

The cost to the employ the modern man is absurd. 

Edited by woods991
  • Like 1

Signature of Solon CC

Mizuno STX 230 10.5 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

21 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

The Big Bertha 90's price has come up many times here for sure and it's valid

My biggest gripe is with irons. In like 6-7 years some iron prices went up like 65%. We're talking going from 1500 CAD to 2500 CAD. That's a very big change in a relatively short time

Prices of wedges as you state , have basically doubled in the last 10 years in some cases, and best case have gone up 65% or so like irons

agree, i buy a lot of new iron sets (almost as many as you:)) only to sell at a loss and go back either Ping ie1 or Bridgestone CB's But i choked on the price of i230 and the Glide 4 wedges, i doubt ill buy these. This feels like a price beyond their acceptable profit margin

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

No mystery here, boys. Prices are what they are because we are collectively willing to pay. It's not OEMs responsibility to be magnanimous in regards to their pricing. Just look at the thread that just popped up about the Titleist stand bag at over $400. Is it in any way functionally better than a boring $200 bag. Not even close, but I promise some of us complaining in here will show up in there drooling all over ourselves. 

If you sell something at $5 that someone is willing to pay $10 for, that makes you the idiot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

1 minute ago, spring70 said:

what kind of maniac keeps a driver for 5 years 

Someone who is worried about how much it cost.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

1 hour ago, ShortGolfer said:

All anyone cares about on the golf course is good manners and pace of play.  The clubs don't have anything to do with that.

I got new clubs because I could afford it and I knew that what I needed was outside "normal clubs."

This is always a good reminder for folks who are learning the game.. we don’t care that you suck, have fun and keep up!

38 minutes ago, spring70 said:

agree, i buy a lot of new iron sets (almost as many as you:)) only to sell at a loss and go back either Ping ie1 or Bridgestone CB's But i choked on the price of i230 and the Glide 4 wedges, i doubt ill buy these. This feels like a price beyond their acceptable profit margin

I can get PXG 0317ST's AND  Sub70 659s for the price of Ping I230s haha!

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, J13 said:

Metal, engineers, machinists, CNC machines, all very expensive.  The overwhelming majority of DTC brands offer low price products because they have none of those.  So you have options to buy less expensive golf equipment but you need to know it's being picked out of a chinese catalog then stamped with a logo.  If you want a more premium, engineered product, you will have to pay more.  Same goes for Phones, shoes, clothing, cars, ect..  Your other option is buy used as some others have said.  

Name those DTC brands. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WristySwing said:

This topic gets dragged up at least once a month and always by someone who "isn't looking to buy but is [shocked/appalled/mortified/downright frustrated] at the price of golf clubs" yet always seems to have a kit of new gear in the bag.  We get it, stuff is expensive.  Buy DTC, used, lesser known brands, value level products, or components. There are loads of ways to circumvent this and still play fairly modern gear where it is not costing you any shots. Nobody cares what you play anyways and if you look hard enough I am sure a set of Maltby whatever is going to play similarly to any other whatever out there.  

Since this post gets rehashed once a month at least, might as well rehash the exact same counter arguments that get brought out time and again.  Golf has ALWAYS been expensive:

The Callaway C4 driver was in equivalent dollars $920 USD when it was released in 2001.

Honma and other Japanese brands regularly have items that are close to double what typical USD releases are, and have had these for as long as I have been in the business (20 years).

The R7 CGB Max irons released in 2005 had an MSRP equivalency of $2148USD if released today.

The PING Anser Forged had a similar release price a decade ago.

Tommy Armour T100 Titaniums released in 1996 retailed for $2300USD in modern day prices.

Let's not forget that PXG have had $500 iron heads for almost a decade, Titleist has their prototype CNCPT models that are around there too for the past 5+ years.

I cannot for the life of me remember the name but Adams released a $1000 putter about 12 years ago that had a laser sight built into it and was milled.  

Scotty Cameron putters have been north of $400 for as long as I can remember, same as the higher end Odyssey lines.

Buy it if you can afford it, or don't.  Easy as that. /rant.

Yup, this topic and the “coming back after _ years away from golf”.

This topic gets dragged up at least once a month and always by someone who "isn't looking to buy but is [shocked/appalled/mortified/downright frustrated] at the price of golf clubs" yet always seems to have a kit of new gear in the bag.  We get it, stuff is expensive.  Buy DTC, used, lesser known brands, value level products, or components. There are loads of ways to circumvent this and still play fairly modern gear where it is not costing you any shots. Nobody cares what you play anyways and if you look hard enough I am sure a set of Maltby whatever is going to play similarly to any other whatever out there.  

Since this post gets rehashed once a month at least, might as well rehash the exact same counter arguments that get brought out time and again.  Golf has ALWAYS been expensive:

The Callaway C4 driver was in equivalent dollars $920 USD when it was released in 2001.

Honma and other Japanese brands regularly have items that are close to double what typical USD releases are, and have had these for as long as I have been in the business (20 years).

The R7 CGB Max irons released in 2005 had an MSRP equivalency of $2148USD if released today.

Tommy Armour T100 Titaniums released in 1996 retailed for $2300USD in modern day prices.

Let's not forget that PXG have had $500 iron heads for almost a decade, Titleist has their prototype CNCPT models that are around there too for the past 5+ years.

I cannot for the life of me remember the name but Adams released a $1000 putter about 12 years ago that had a laser sight built into it and was milled.  

Scotty Cameron putters have been north of $400 for as long as I can remember, same as the higher end Odyssey lines.

13 hours ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

Yes, 250 to 300 cad for a new wedge is getting really very silly. 

Yup I needed new wedges, did my fitting, held off on a new purchase mainly cause of lead time, figured why not look for used I'll find my exact specs or very close soon enough. Sure enough I did, need to do a few mods but will have 3 good wedges and money saved will go to much needed lessons. 

We just have to be a bit smart up in Canada with prices. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Wedges hurt the most as for any level player it's easy to see how much difference it makes to have new/fresh grooves on shots inside 100 yards.  Double whammy as buying used is only worthwhile for mint condition which isn't that much of a discount anymore.  The rest of the bag you can at least make the case of a useful lifespan of 4-5 years minimum.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

I just read where someone who is trying the new PING G430 and he said if he can't break 80 it's up for sale. 

That is the saddest thing I have read today.   Some people think they can buy a game instead of putting in the work to make themselves better playing it.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Just now, cgasucks said:

That is the saddest thing I have read today.   Some people think they can buy a game instead of putting in the work to make themselves better playing it.

I'm not to sure if this guy was serious or not but if he was I bet he goes through several different sets of clubs every year

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

5 hours ago, iknowbagu said:

No mystery here, boys. Prices are what they are because we are collectively willing to pay. It's not OEMs responsibility to be magnanimous in regards to their pricing. Just look at the thread that just popped up about the Titleist stand bag at over $400. Is it in any way functionally better than a boring $200 bag. Not even close, but I promise some of us complaining in here will show up in there drooling all over ourselves. 

If you sell something at $5 that someone is willing to pay $10 for, that makes you the idiot. 

We (me as well) love to b*tch about oem prices. At the same time, we like capitalism. Have to accept the bad with the good.😂

15 hcp

Via an "Inflation Calculator"

First set was $299 for 8 clubs in 1969, $37.50 per

Similar quality today costs ~1199, for 7 clubs, $171 per

Result "What cost $37.50 in 1969 would cost $287.15 in 2021"

NYC muni in 1969 $10(?) (walking). I'll add cart for $5, so $15

Today - $55+20 (cart), so $75

Result - "What cost $15 in 1969 would cost $114.86 in 2021. "

All-in-all, not too bad.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

4 hours ago, Driver Eight said:

Wedges hurt the most as for any level player it's easy to see how much difference it makes to have new/fresh grooves on shots inside 100 yards.  Double whammy as buying used is only worthwhile for mint condition which isn't that much of a discount anymore.  The rest of the bag you can at least make the case of a useful lifespan of 4-5 years minimum.

If a golfer gets along with Maltby offerings great savings can be had.  Keep the shaft that's already working and put it on a new $40ish head.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Since I started playing golf 13 years ago prices for new clubs just seem ridiculous.  But then I went to a local bike shop the other day looking for a small part.   I wander the show floor and holy SH*T, the price of a new bike is through the roof.  I mean like $10,000 to $14,000 for a new carbon fiber bicycle.  Nothing super special nothing custom, just one right off the floor.  Dang, you need a mortgage for a new bicycle.   

I came away thinking golf prices ain't so bad.   

10 hours ago, J13 said:

Metal, engineers, machinists, CNC machines, all very expensive.  The overwhelming majority of DTC brands offer low price products because they have none of those.  So you have options to buy less expensive golf equipment but you need to know it's being picked out of a chinese catalog then stamped with a logo.  If you want a more premium, engineered product, you will have to pay more.  Same goes for Phones, shoes, clothing, cars, ect..  Your other option is buy used as some others have said.  

There are almost no high end products that are not made in China, Taiwan, Mexico, Malaysia etc in some form. Even the ones recognized as not doing it , do it. They say they are assembled in USA but meanwhile all their modules are made in China they just put them together here. The high end companies depend on China like everyone else 

You're paying more for marketing in many cases. When you peel the onion back a lot of it is just semantics of the same thing 

The Chinese catalog heads are just essentially generic reference designs that companies than modify for their own OEM product. This is pretty much how the electronics industry works. If you don't want to support a company that didn't directly do the R&D, throw out half the stuff in your house. Lol

Edited by MtlJeff
  • Like 2

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

8 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

If you don't want to support a company that didn't directly do the R&D, throw out half the stuff in your house. Lol

Probably closer to 75%. I mentioned last week but lots of comments here about cheap Chinese junk in golf products but Harbor Freight has an almost cult like rep.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

3 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Probably closer to 75%. I mentioned last week but lots of comments here about cheap Chinese junk in golf products but Harbor Freight has an almost cult like rep.

You're probably correct. 

I don't want to sidestep into other issues. But the layers of production, designs vs CM, OEM vs ODM, relabeling etc...is one of the most misunderstood things in the world IMO. And that's not an insult to anyone. Unless you are in the business you wouldn't know. A product has a name on it....the 6 layers it went through beforehand are invisible to 99.8% of people 

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I guess my purpose in starting this thread was to see if others thought the price for new equipment was excessively high. I understand the price of everything has increased but as someone pointed out I think we’ve now crossed a threshold. And while it may make sense to sell something for whatever someone is willing to pay at some point that strategy fails over because there are just fewer and fewer people willing to pay the premium.

So you’ll find people prepared to pay the price because they “need” a new (insert item here) but you may exclude those buyers who were prepared to tinker with their bags, forever searching for the holy grail. At $180 I might be prepared to try a new wedge even though I don’t need it. Not so at $300. At $300 I might consider a new hybrid, fairway or driving iron. Not at $500 though.

It’s not a matter of can or can’t afford. It’s a question of perceived value, and I feel that currently it’s just not there. Some good tips anyway from people on how to get the best value for money.

And for those complaining that this topic comes up all the time - maybe just scroll on, no one’s forcing you to post 🤷🏼‍♂️

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

20 hours ago, Itsjustagame said:

If you pay $500 for a driver and keep it 5 years that's $100 per year. Kinda cheap on an annualized basis.

That's the way I rationalize it. Buy something that is fitted to your game. Take care of your stuff and it continues working. I haven't bought into the concept that club companies develop anything innovative consistently on a year to year basis. 5 years is probably more reasonable for some equipment upgrades. Irons, wedges, putters can take longer than that. 

Edited by shoot4par

I forgot to add that Cleveland has RTX Zipcore wedges on sale for $120 direct from them.  They also have the full face CBX for $110.  Free shipping in the US.

Shop the sales and never pay retail for golf equipment. 

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter