2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

NLU “Tourist Sauce: Scandinavia”

If you’re looking for some engaging golf content to watch during the arctic blast I can’t recommend this series highly enough. 

The production quality of the NLU content keeps getting better. The visuals and music are sublime. This content wouldn’t look out of place on a major network. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 3

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, dfw Ag said:

One of my favorite channels to check out. They do a great job with mixing all sorts of stuff in while still not losing the focus on the golf. The wild world, to tourist sauce, film room; they have an awesome variety of content. 

For sure. "Strapped" is the series that sucked me in. 

• Like 3

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

I always look forward to their next release.   As mentioned the high production quality makes their work stand out versus a lot of the other YouTube content.  I would not have thought of Scandinavia as a golf destination, but now I want to go.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

The NLU guys seem to be living the dream.

They bought a house off the first tee at Sweeten’s Cove and converted it to an Air BnB rental. Smart. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

15 minutes ago, DE-ILLINI said:

I always look forward to their next release.   As mentioned the high production quality makes their work stand out versus a lot of the other YouTube content.  I would not have thought of Scandinavia as a golf destination, but now I want to go.

They do a damn good job, and so true about the production quality. Lots of work to deliver the viewing quality of NLU!

The Streamsong three-player scramble versus Cam Smith is still a favorite.  🤣🤣🤣 “DJ on the tee and oh no, it’s the power queef towards the snakes!” Gets me every time 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

1 hour ago, mci711 said:

You can watch this or watch Trent from barstool shank, chunk, and 4 putt to a 120.. NLU is the best golf content on Youtube. Tourist sauce and Strapped are must watch. 

Yeah there is so much content on the web and the quality is all over the place.

One of the things I appreciate about NLU is that they don't beg for likes, subs or merchandise orders in their content. Sure, they're sponsored by BMW and Callaway and Precision Pro and they're dressed head to toe in the swag they sell but that's pretty much it. I think they have a mature approach to the money side of things and assume that if someone likes the way Soly's pullover looks they'll go on the site and buy one. 

It seems like they got very comfortable doing stuff remotely during the pandemic and they're each living where they want to live. I think that makes the travel videos even better. You can tell they value the time they get to spend together when it happens. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 4

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

^^^^ facts!

The product placements are there as they should be, but thankfully they don’t nut-hug. 

The destinations are great, the golf is good, and the production is super. I’m a bit older than those boys, but man do I wish I had that going at that stage in life. Good stuff. Strapped is my favorite. 

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

20 minutes ago, supergriff34 said:

Barstool is cringeworthy. Riggs swing is god awful.  Trent is just terrible.  Its the same thing every video.  I gave up a while back. 
been big fans of nlu for a while now

check out their stanford womens golf video if you havent seen it. 

I've watched some of their videos but I feel like I'm too old(35) for the frat boy mentality they put out.  I think they're probably too old for it too. Perhaps they're trying to mature hiring Dan Rappaport.

A buddy and myself were at Erin Hills last May and had just checked in but had no idea what they did with our clubs.  We walked around looking like idiots as we had a tee time rapidly approaching and happened to run into some barstool guys.  They approached us and chatted for a minute or so and for the most part couldn't have been nicer(Riggs seemed a little stand-offish but I digress). I think they thought we were fanboys trying to muster up the courage to talk to them but we genuinely were looking for our golf bags as we had a tee time coming up soon.  Blue and Wild were in the playoffs that night so my buddy chirped "Let's go Wild" to which Riggs replied "f*** Off" so that was funny.

Don't get me wrong, barstool is an impressive success story but it doesn't do it for me on the golf side of things.  Meanwhile NLU is witty, insightful, subtle and for the most part have good characters that play well off each other.  It's an easy choice for me.

• Like 1

I'm too old for most of the Barstool content too and I don't have much respect for Portnoy. There are a couple of their personalities I do enjoy like the One Minute Man and the long haired guy who does the "between two ferns" style interviews with celebs. 

OTOH I happened to hear a long radio interview with Riggs last year and came away sort of impressed. He was talking about being stuck at Pinehurst for several months during the early part of the pandemic and how he ended up becoming close with a lot of the staff there at a time when he was among the only guests, and how it led him to buy property there and want to be a part of the community rather than just a tourist. He seemed pretty level headed and introspective. I don't know if that matches his persona in their videos (sounds like maybe not). 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

NLU is by far the best of the Youtube content. It's not even close.

Barstool and Bob Does Sports is mindless entertainment at times which I can appreciate. The rest of it I can't stand and never tune in for the content (looking at the Good Good gang).

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

The NLU fellas just picked up Titleist/Foot Joy as a core sponsor. They posted a video of them being fit at the TPI. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

On 1/1/2023 at 10:48 PM, me05501 said:

The NLU fellas just picked up Titleist/Foot Joy as a core sponsor. They posted a video of them being fit at the TPI. 

I watched that too. I really want to do that fitting now, looks like an awesome experience. $600 seems totally worth it. May have to go to California for my birthday this year 😂

Edited by mci711
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 6:42 PM, supergriff34 said:

Riggs seems like a nice guy for sure.  But the content they produce is just ehhhhhh.

i agree that maybe im just not the right age (38).  But it seems like they cater to the frat boys 20-25 year olds.   

have met riggs a few times and he's a down to earth normal guy. Who cares what his golf game is like, he came up with an idea for barstool golf and ran with it. he started at barstool writing about politics and now has foreplay. Foreplay and NLU are both solid products and can both co-exist. We can have both. I think NLU could steal some ideas from barstool and come up with a national tournament like the barstool classic that has an event team. It would draw a ton of interest.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, handyquacks17 said:

have met riggs a few times and he's a down to earth normal guy. Who cares what his golf game is like, he came up with an idea for barstool golf and ran with it. he started at barstool writing about politics and now has foreplay. Foreplay and NLU are both solid products and can both co-exist. We can have both. I think NLU could steal some ideas from barstool and come up with a national tournament like the barstool classic that has an event team. It would draw a ton of interest.

They do stuff like that on a more low-key level. There's a premium tier of their message board community call The Roost where a lot of people have connected to meet for events and such. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

11 minutes ago, handyquacks17 said:

Ya i understand they have a niche small community in message boards. But maybe its a solid idea to expand their brand and run a national tournament, and not small meet ups. A final event that people qualify for at say Sweetens would kill it

I get it. Maybe that stuff is going on and I just don't know about it. I think the Roost membership is a little over $100 per year. I've met a few guys who actively participate in it and they seem to have frequent regional meetups but I'm not sure how often those are attended by the NLU personalities. 

Last year I reached out to Neil and suggested they do a Strapped: Chattanooga. I didn't realize at that point that they owned the house at Sweeten's which is just 45 minutes away. He said they've spent a lot of time here due to that but didn't have any immediate plans to resurrect Strapped. As entertaining as that series is to watch, it's probably a bit demeaning for Randy and Neil to exist on an artificially low budget when they could personally afford to travel more comfortably. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

18 minutes ago, me05501 said:

it's probably a bit demeaning for Randy and Neil to exist on an artificially low budget when they could personally afford to travel more comfortably. 

And it's possible Randy doesn't really like to play golf anymore...haha. Seems like he enjoys walking around or going to a coffee shop more. I still like Randy but man he just seems like he could take or leave golf most days. 

DJ's production and editing skills have increased with each series they do. I'm not an expert on the subject but he makes their content SO distinct and high end vs a lot of the other content out there on YouTube. 

• Like 3

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

18 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

And it's possible Randy doesn't really like to play golf anymore...haha. Seems like he enjoys walking around or going to a coffee shop more. I still like Randy but man he just seems like he could take or leave golf most days. 

DJ's production and editing skills have increased with each series they do. I'm not an expert on the subject but he makes their content SO distinct and high end vs a lot of the other content out there on YouTube. 

Right? He's moved to Colorado (I think). DJ moved to Milwaukee maybe, I think for his wife's job. I think Neil, Tron and Solly still live in JAX but not sure. I don't follow them that closely. 

There's one episode of Tourist Sauce Michigan that's mostly about Big Randy. They visit with his parents (he grew up there) and talk about his winding road to where he is now. He seems like he's probably a natural introvert who has almost been thrust into any on-camera role, but the way the guys talk him up you get the idea he is a fan favorite. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

46 minutes ago, me05501 said:

He seems like he's probably a natural introvert who has almost been thrust into any on-camera role, but the way the guys talk him up you get the idea he is a fan favorite. 

Speaking as an introvert myself, this certainly seems to fit Randy/Phil. I've interacted with him via email around the time they did Tourist Sauce Oregon about some books and stuff related to a few things that were mentioned when they were in Gearhart and it was obvious that he has other strong passions that probably preempt golf for him a lot of the time.

• Like 2