How can these prices be justified?

mvhoffman

So don't pay those prices, plenty of sales, clearances or discounted clothes even of name brands. Almost every company has a sales and clearance section on their site, if brands are carried at department stores they always have sales going on. Not hard to buy clothes not at retail prices, I don't think I've paid full price for golf clothing and shoes in the past 2-3 years and I'm a big guy which isn't always easy either. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

7 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

Have you ever heard a guy say "i'm not paying $60,000 for a pick up truck, I just need roll up windows, power steering and and AM radio." 😎

That was me and they threw in the backup cam and 3 years of oil changes.... suckers 

• Like 1

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

7 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

Have you ever heard a guy say "i'm not paying $60,000 for a pick up truck, I just need roll up windows, power steering and and AM radio." 😎

Yup, speaking about me?  That pick up truck cost $20k two years ago, but fools will pay that stupid tax price.  

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

I guess it depends on what, where, and when you're looking. Thanks to my grandpa I was WELL stocked in polos for years. Nowadays I scour the clearance rack at department stores and have family members get me things as gifts around my birthday and holidays. I've been able to find some really good deals by just checking the clearance rack when I'm in the store doing other things.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I'm not a fan of golf specific clothing.  Fit is everything.  Golf clothes are generally not cut for me.  Too loose and baggy in the wrong places.

OP - don't limit yourself to "golf" clothing lines.  Everybody makes performance

clothing these days.

• Like 1

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

What a weird thing to complain about.  They can get away with it because people will pay it.  To many, the stuff you would find at Target/Walmart is not anywhere close to the same quality.  Just because it's made of the same material doesn't mean you get the same comfort, cut, appearance, quality, etc.  Those companies are making money too.  Far less quality control, consistency, effort into smaller details, etc.  If you are good with what you are getting then great.  

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2

Sim Max 3W

Titleist U505 2-iron

T200 (4-5)

T150 (6-P)

Vokey SM9 (5012F, 5614F, 608M)

Odyssey AI-One double wide DB

20 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Golf clothing is no different from other brands of clothing, or other non-golf items out there.  You get what ya pay for.  Inexpensive cloths exist on Amazon, Costco, etc., or at inexpensive Pro shops at inexpensive muni's.  Played a muni the other day, green fees, $65x2, and saw golf shirts in the Pro shop were $50-$65.

I just paid $185x2 green fees at a really nice course, and wandered into the Pro shop and bought 2 Bugatchi Hendrix shirts, ea $145 ea, a Tommy Bahama shirt @$150, a hat at $48, and a pair of $80+ Olukai flip-flops, and a great logo golf bag for $350; that golf stop costs near $1500.   Nope, it's not justified, just is what it is...

IMO, Bargain shopping in the golf world is nearly a joke.   The sport of golf is still one of the most expensive hobby's out there.

Good call on the Olukai’s…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Like all things financial, it’s all relative. Dropping $200 on pants or $100 on a shirt, or $1500 on a shaft seems ridiculous to most it’s because it’s a larger percentage of their wealth (income.) To some that level of spending is like the average Joe tipping $1.50 for a breakfast at Denny’s - it has zero impact on their net worth.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

16 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Yup, speaking about me?  That pick up truck cost $20k two years ago, but fools will pay that stupid tax price.  

We have a family friend who walked into a local Toyota dealer and said " I want a base Corolla model do you have one in stock" ? They said no, let's walk the lot, she said NO, find me one and sat down with a very thick hard back book.

4 hours later they said there is one at a dealer 150/miles from here. She paid cash and has been driving.it every since, early 90's model. Stick, crank windows no radio or air conditioning. She blows her money in Cabo instead and doesn't play golf. 😎 lol

16 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

17 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

We have a family friend who walked into a local Toyota dealer and said " I want a base Corolla model do you have one in stock" ? They said no, let's walk the lot, she said NO, find me one and sat down with a very thick hard back book.

4 hours later they said there is one at a dealer 150/miles from here. She paid cash and has been driving.it every since, early 90's model. Stick, crank windows no radio or air conditioning. She blows her money in Cabo instead and doesn't play golf. 😎 lol

My 2016 Jeep Wrangler is a Sport Unlimited, manual door locks, mirrors, windows.  Only concession was automatic trans, base stereo and air, being in the south.  Should be my last vehicle purchase because I can work on it!  I balked at the price of $24k, but the wife insisted.  I'd have rather dropped $5000 cash and had a solid older southern vehicle with no payment at all.  As it is, the Jeep will be paid off in 12 months or less.  Not like we can't afford this stuff, but $60k+ trucks are just wasting good cash that can be used on golf course fees and more vintage club collecting.  🥳

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Like many have already said… I have a closet full of Peter Millar, Greyson, FJ and other “premium” brands and would say on average have paid around $30 per polo and $50 for the jackets and other pieces. All retail for $110+ on polos and $160+ on others. Just have to do some looking around. Tj Maxx and Marshals have been great along with WRX BST. Many times I have found people selling brand new pieces of premium clothing at a great price well below the msrp. Take Prov1s for example $50 a box but can get on bst for $40 a box. 20% savings, ill take it considering its pretty much price locked. Not just for clothes and golf but think this applies to many other everyday items. Just have to look around!

20 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

broke-people.gif

All jokes aside, I shop at the Nike clearance stores around me mostly where everything is like $15.

Yep, if you're by an outlet, great way to snag less expensive gear during the off-season.

Callaway Paradym 10.5°/ Ventus Black 6S
Callaway Paradym 15°/ Proj Hzrdus BlackS
Callaway B21 18°/ RCH65

Titleist U505 2 / HZDS Smoke RDXS
Titleist T100s 5-GW / Proj X LZ 6.0S
Callaway Jaws RAW 54° & 58°
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
ProV1

Golf clothing has huge markups. Deals are always out there however. A couple years ago when Ashworth went out of business (I think John Ashworth then started LinkSoul) I bought about 30 shirts from TGW. They were all tagged at between $50 and $75. I got them for between $10 and $15 each. Same with my Goretex rain gear. I get previous years models tagged at $300 to $400 for under $100. Same with my Footjoy Icon Black shoes. I’d get close outs for about $120 (list price $300). Deals are out there if you take the time and shop around. The impulse buyer purchasing clothing in the Pro Shop will pay top dollar. I’ve been to resort courses and seen ProV1’s selling for well above the $50 list. 

56 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

Same with my Goretex rain gear. I get previous years models tagged at $300 to $400 for under $100.

Serious question and not really related to the OP but this comment triggered the thought that I have occasionally. How many Gore-Tex rainsuits do you buy? I have a Callaway short sleeve Gore-Tex rain shirt and a pair of LL Bean Gore-Tex rain pants. Both are probably 15yrs old and I honestly don't remember the last time I wore either. 

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Complaints about golf clothing pricing seems a bit narrow when thinking about the prices for playing golf.   Balls range from $0.25 to $5 per; putters range from $5 bargain bin find to $1000 Scotty/Bettanardi/etc., some use the bargain SW, others for the $250 premium grind SW, yet the two golfers are doing the same thing. 

Look around the US, we are the most consumerist society there is in the world.  Golf clothing is a mere subset.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 3PuttLefty said:

60k will get you a “middle of the road” package now a days!! Its insane

Pickup trucks.  It's rare today to even find a scratch in the bed.  They're not really used as trucks, just big space hogging rigs.

• Like 3

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

I never pay retail for golf clothes.  I also wear said golf clothes to work.  I have about 6 pairs of Under Armour golf pants  (love their pants), three pairs of FJ pants, a couple pairs of Adidas shorts and Travis Matthew.  I have not paid more than $20 for a single piece (I have numerous Ping shirts and other brands).  I look for stuff at Ross, Gabriel Brothers, on sale, gently used  (not soiled or torn at all--all of my UA pants were bought this way and they all look practically new), etc.  I'm not small  (6'3" 280) so finding clothes can be difficult.   I have tried the Ben Hogan golf shorts at Wal-Mart .  They are very nice for the price  (about $16).  I like my Footjoy shorts better but would not pay full price for them  (I picked mine up for about $18).

I will not buy second-hand shoes  (something about shoes--they are like baseball gloves.  If they were somebody else's they will never completely be "yours" unless they are practically new).   I will sell gently used shoes though as many people have no problem with them.

The price of clothes is outrageous, especially "golf" gear. 

I will pay for clubs, socks  (though I try to find these on sale too) and shoes but have  a hard time justifying paying asking price for clothes (Even my belts I pick up on sales or clearance from Budget Golf, Rockbottomgolf, etc).  Fortunately, I am one of those people that tends to stumble on sales.  I picked up a Ninja blender (nothing missing and not a return item) for $20 at WM once (originally $100).  It hit the clearance aisle about 2 minutes before that and i thoroughly looked it over before buying. We used it heavily for 3 years before a piece broke on it .  I also picked up a Stanley shop vac for $30 this way too (originally $80...not missing any parts and no problems).  I'm on my 4th year using it.

On 12/28/2022 at 5:52 AM, mvhoffman said:

How can some of these companies justify their apparel prices including our own GolfWRX?  Upwards of almost $100 for a shirt, $50 for a hat, shoes for multiple hundred dollars.  I just do not get it.  All of these places are using the same polyester blends as the shirts at Walmart and Target.  These are made in the same factories by the same under paid people.  I don't buy the $100 country club shirt, I don't buy the $150 pants, etc.  I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.  i know that there are people that can afford it, but imagine if there was a company that came out with apparel for the everyday person at an everyday person's price...

there have been companies that tried that and no one cared.

most people won’t buy just based on the item. They buy based on brand and the feeling it gives them.

they’d rather pay $65 for the perceived value of a luxury brand versus a $30 unknown brand. 

On 12/28/2022 at 10:15 AM, MtlJeff said:

I've always felt clothes is one of the easiest things to get discounted if you want. 

No doubt.  Apparel is the product we have the largest margin on in our shops. So it’s easy to discount or move when we need to. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I've always felt clothes is one of the easiest things to get discounted if you want. 

Stupid duplicate post 

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2

Vokey

Stupid triplicate post 

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Vokey

I got a closet full of golf clothes, all nice Nike, UA and RLX, and I hardly paid over $25 per for any of them. In fact, there are so many I need to get rid of some to make room for new finds. Plenty of places yo can find high end shirts at great discounts. 

I don't need a $100 shirt or $200 pants to make myself feel important or fashionable. If you do, that's cool too. When there are people who are eager to plop down $2500 for a set of irons, what's another $100 or 2. 

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34"