How can these prices be justified?

mvhoffman

19 hours ago, Bad9 said:

Serious question and not really related to the OP but this comment triggered the thought that I have occasionally. How many Gore-Tex rainsuits do you buy? I have a Callaway short sleeve Gore-Tex rain shirt and a pair of LL Bean Gore-Tex rain pants. Both are probably 15yrs old and I honestly don't remember the last time I wore either. 

I have a Callaway rain jacket that I usually wear in the late fall here in PA because it is like wearing a plastic bag and keeps ALL the heat in.  unfortunately it keeps all the sweat in too.  I have had it for a few years, purchased on closeout at a discount store for under $20.  Not a purchase that i plan on repeating as you have mentioned in your post.  i could see the UK friends here or the Pacific NW in the US as these would be a regular purchase

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

On 12/28/2022 at 10:21 AM, cgasucks said:

Golf Clothes are the most overpriced stuff one can buy, even more than clubs.  For me, the Ben Hogan brand is what I usually buy as it is a fraction of the cost than the name brands and is made by Perry Ellis.

Available exclusively at Walmart.

Ben hogan brand shorts are phenomenal. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Ben hogan brand shorts are phenomenal. 

Yep.  I've got quite a few articles of their clothing I've accumulated before the pandemic and they're all still going strong.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

2 hours ago, mvhoffman said:

I have a Callaway rain jacket that I usually wear in the late fall here in PA because it is like wearing a plastic bag and keeps ALL the heat in.  unfortunately it keeps all the sweat in too.  I have had it for a few years, purchased on closeout at a discount store for under $20.  Not a purchase that i plan on repeating as you have mentioned in your post.  i could see the UK friends here or the Pacific NW in the US as these would be a regular purchase

Try washing your jacket. Waterproof, breathable garments need to be washed on occasion to keep their breathability. fwiw, I have multiple pieces of rain gear (Pacific NW), and, most of the pieces were bought on sale. Since, I use the stuff regularly, I stock up when I see a bargain.

14 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Pickup trucks.  It's rare today to even find a scratch in the bed.  They're not really used as trucks, just big space hogging rigs.

It's time to bring back mini trucks, Courier, Chevy LUV, Datsun 620, and Toyota, from the 70s for people who aren't interested in making a style/ fashion statement. 

Ford started in that direction when they announced they were bringing back the Courier pickup, you know, a truck that actually did what a truck is supposed to do and cost around $18000 base price but then screwed the whole idea up by making it look like everything else made today and costs ($25000 base price with all the unneeded power "junk" ) the same as everything else. 
 If you're lucky enough to own an older p/u truck without all the unnecessary "doo dads" hold on to it. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 7:09 AM, dropkicked said:

First time buying a new golf shirt in the past 5 years?

Visit the sales racks or stick with Costco, Walmart, Winners, Target..

FTW! 

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x 

On 12/28/2022 at 9:59 AM, jholz said:

Yeah, I'm that guy. Power steering is for suckers, BTW.

13-1/2" Steel Marine Steering Wheel w/ Knob

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

22 hours ago, bellken said:

Try washing your jacket. Waterproof, breathable garments need to be washed on occasion to keep their breathability. fwiw, I have multiple pieces of rain gear (Pacific NW), and, most of the pieces were bought on sale. Since, I use the stuff regularly, I stock up when I see a bargain.

Correct.  And Goretex gear needs to be washed with special detergent (not the normal laundry detergent), so the micro pores don't get clogged which impacts breathability.  Put the gear though the washer a couple times using Nikwax and the garment becomes much more comfortable.  That said, I tend to wear my Goretex gear in cooler temps and wear my gear made from a Goretex derivative (eVent material) in the summer.  It has the same waterproof rating but vents better.  

On 12/30/2022 at 12:34 AM, mister2cool said:

I got a closet full of golf clothes, all nice Nike, UA and RLX, and I hardly paid over $25 per for any of them. In fact, there are so many I need to get rid of some to make room for new finds.

Same here.  I really don't need to ever buy another golf shirt ever again.

Golf Galaxy clearance rack has been incredible for me this year. I’ve probably bought between 15-20 new Puma and Under Armour shirts (a couple Addidas as well).  Most of the Pumas had stickers or $75 and the UA $65. Most of the shirts were in the $15 range. A couple early in the start of the clearance were $30, and a couple later were under $10. 
A pair of $60 Addidas shorts were $8!

If I find an article of clothing I really, really like, I MIGHT pay the sticker price. Kind of depends on my mood at the time honestly. At a premiere course, I will pay the extra for a logo shirt or hat. Fortunately, I don’t play premium places very often.  I am a muni hack….but with a nice shirt!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 20footputt said:

The prices are nuts you can find name brand shirts, shorts and pants for 20-40 bucks all day if you look in the right places.  Only suckers pay full retail 80+ for shirts and pants.

Some people have discretionary income and don't want to hassle finding a sweet deal... they just want what they want when they want it.  Helps to keep the GDP up and the economy churning...

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

6 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Some people have discretionary income and don't want to hassle finding a sweet deal... they just want what they want when they want it.  Helps to keep the GDP up and the economy churning...

I guess if you like wasting money.  I have plenty of discretionary income, golf is probably my cheapest hobby but I don't like spending more than I need to in order to get what I want.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 20footputt said:

I guess if you like wasting money.  I have plenty of discretionary income, golf is probably my cheapest hobby but I don't like spending more than I need to in order to get what I want.

Two very subjective terms. For a lot of people time=money. You can always make more money, but you can't buy more time.  There is an opportunity cost involved with deal seeking most "dollars and cents" folks ignore.  10yrs ago I was happy to drive around town to find killer deals, zero desire to do so at this point. 5yrs ago my closet had plenty of sub $40 polos, for the most part they just don't last if you walk and play a lot. Nike, Travis Matthew, UA etc have inconsistent sizing and all break down/stretch/fade after about a season. A Peter Millar polo is $100, but the material is very good quality, the collar structure and fit remain constant, they literally last years. If they go on sale bonus, if not I don't mind paying a bit more. If I visit a new course and they have PM or Greyson, it's going into the closet regardless if it's on sale or not. 

24 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Two very subjective terms. For a lot of people time=money. You can always make more money, but you can't buy more time.  There is an opportunity cost involved with deal seeking most "dollars and cents" folks ignore.  10yrs ago I was happy to drive around town to find killer deals, zero desire to do so at this point. 5yrs ago my closet had plenty of sub $40 polos, for the most part they just don't last if you walk and play a lot. Nike, Travis Matthew, UA etc have inconsistent sizing and all break down/stretch/fade after about a season. A Peter Millar polo is $100, but the material is very good quality, the collar structure and fit remain constant, they literally last years. If they go on sale bonus, if not I don't mind paying a bit more. If I visit a new course and they have PM or Greyson, it's going into the closet regardless if it's on sale or not. 

I love the folks who drive all the way across town to save $5 at Costco only to have spent $4 on fuel and $3.50 on wear and tear on their vehicle.  Not to mention, what's their time worth?  How do they value their time per hour in monetary units???

Regarding "wasting money".  I'm talking to you 20footputt.  It's fine if it's your hobby and lifestyle to shop all over for the best priced deals.  Go for it, but don't push that crap on everyone else.  Sorry to sound harsh but there's more to life than chasing good deals.  Sometimes life IS the good deal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I love the folks who drive all the way across town to save $5 at Costco only to have spent $4 on fuel and $3.50 on wear and tear on their vehicle.  Not to mention, what's their time worth?  How do they value their time per hour in monetary units???

Regarding "wasting money".  I'm talking to you 20footputt.  It's fine if it's your hobby and lifestyle to shop all over for the best priced deals.  Go for it, but don't push that crap on everyone else.  Sorry to sound harsh but there's more to life than chasing good deals.  Sometimes life IS the good deal.

LOL, you're hilarious.  I don't drive around town hunting for "deals".  I don't care about $4 in fuel or even think about wear and tear on my Porsche, BMW and Tesla either.  If I need something I know where to go and they usually have what I need and at half or less compared to full retail prices.  Paying $100 for a polo is ridiculous.  They are all made in sweat shops in 3rd world countries.  

Edited by 20footputt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the DTC brands have quickly shown that a reasonable profit can be made manufacturing in the same factories of some of the largest OEMs. We are paying that extra 50% for marketing and to see the pros play what we play. We are also paying for multiple executives and very few necessary employees in the process. 

On 1/4/2023 at 3:14 PM, Krt22 said:

People still drive around and shop at brick and mortar stores?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ilikegolf26 said:

People still drive around and shop at brick and mortar stores?

If you don't drive around all the time going shopping then you'll put fewer miles on your vehicle. Then you don't need to change cars as often. There goes the automotive manufacturing industry...

On 12/28/2022 at 9:34 AM, Bad9 said:

There's also layers of middlemen who don't add any value to the product but have to make their share

This is happening in lots of industries.  The fluff people have become counter productive to the process.  It’s always Vice Presidents and Administrative staff.  They email each other all day and talk in buzz words.  Useless blankety blanks.

i hope someone fires them all one day and gives the power back to the hard workers

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

I don't have any issues with how much golf clothing cost. But don't try and tell me spending $100 on a shirt gets you much higher quality and will last longer then spending $30 on a shirt. Cause it really doesn't last any longer or look any better or higher quality. 

That hasn't been my experience.  The $30 shirts I buy tend to sun-fade, in selected spots, quickly.  And I'm in Washington state.  But the slightly used Ralph Lauren polos and LaCoste alligator golf shirts ($100 new) I buy online for a dime on the dollar last much longer.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 1:14 PM, Krt22 said:

You must not know how to take care of your shirts if they only barely last a season. I can tell you I walk and play a lot. Last season according to Grint. I played a total of 87 rounds from Feburary-November. And most if not all of my polos are still in great condition. Especially given they are more then 2 years old. Some of the shirts I wear are about 4-5 years old.

2 minutes ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

You must not know how to take care of your shirts if they only barely last a season. I can tell you I walk and play a lot. Last season according to Grint. I played a total of 87 rounds from Feburary-November. And most if not all of my polos are still in great condition. Especially given they are more then 2 years old. Some of the shirts I wear are about 4-5 years old.

The worst quality shirts I ever had was $75 Under Armors.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

4 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

13 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

That hasn't been my experience.  The $30 shirts I buy tend to sun-fade, in selected spots, quickly.  And I'm in Washington state.  But the slightly used Ralph Lauren polos and LaCoste alligator golf shirts ($100 new) I buy online for a dime on the dollar last much longer.

Hmmm, I live in Utah. And also play in Phoenix, Las Vegas, and San Antonio a lot as well. And not one shirt is faded. My hats on the other hand. Holy sweat and sun fade.

38 minutes ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

Hmmm, I live in Utah. And also play in Phoenix, Las Vegas, and San Antonio a lot as well. And not one shirt is faded. My hats on the other hand. Holy sweat and sun fade.

Wondering if you ride in the shady confines of a power golf cart???  (And another wearing/fading issue on the cheap shirts is collar wear, close to my neck)