2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Dog doo in cup and near hole

3 hours ago, abh00 said:

Enlighten me, slugger. What would you do in this situation? Setting is a casual Saturday morning round, you hit the green in reg. 35 foot birdie putt and feces in the bottom of the cup. 

As it happens, I always have disposable gloves in my bag as you never know what you might encounter on the course. So, I would put a glove on, lift my ball from the cup, pick up as much feces from the cup and place the ball, feces and glove into the nearest garbage bin. Then I would call the staff and tell them what I had encountered and done encouraging them to react swiftly.

It does not really matter if feces is or is not a LI in the cup as there is no need to remove it before holing out. Unless, of course, there is so much of it that there is no room for the ball. In such a case I would go behind Rule 20.3 and simply remove the feces, again a disposable glove on my hand, regardless whether it was stuck to the cup or not..

• Haha 1

I would immediately report this to the superintendent/owner, etc .  I know they are not at fault in any way, but I would extend the courtesy to let them know. I have a very weak stomach and did not take much time to look at the photo.  If it is human, it is despicable.  If it is from a  dog, it is despicable (because the dog owner is at fault).  In either case, the person responsible should not be welcomed back.  If it is from a wild animal, there isn't much that can be done.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Schulzmc said:

No - Brora. Where the livestock roam freely on the course (they have electric wires to protect the greens) and there is a local rule that you get a free drop if your ball is found in a pile of…

Some 30 years ago I heard a story that on a course in Oregon there was a Local Rule "Free drop from buffalo s**t". Naturally, such LR is not allowed unless specifically granted by USGA (which I very much doubt...).

The rules of golf assume a committee exists which is actively running the competition. In any realistic tournament scenerio, someone from said committee is being called out to change the hole-liner, and the tournament is probably going to be held up for a few minutes while it gets addressed. (I don't think anyone is going to tell Tiger 'nah mate rules say you gotta scrape that out')

Since you are not this fortunate I think any of a number of solutions are reasonable enough, including the most likely score, attempting the putt with a ball you are willing to surrender should you make it, or perhaps taking multiple handfuls of sand from the nearest convenient bunker to create a barrier between your ball and the offending substance, and holing out normally.

Do you ever consider what is unseen on the surface of the ball you play with considering it has landed on and rolled over ground covered in all sorts of vegetation, home to a multitude of organisms and the public lavatory of every creature that lives on it or passes over it?  Maybe like me you are just aware that your hands aren't clean when it comes to the mid-round snack and are in the habit of washing them when you come off the course.

In the situation illustrated  it isn't necessary to clear out the hole.  The problem is solely that if you haven't been lucky enough for your ball to be held  against the flagstick above the offending stuff your ball will be touching it and the source of  possible contamination of your ball is visual.  If you just can't bear the thought of touching a ball that might have some animal faeces on it, so be it.  You presumably have never changed a nappy (or played Brora or its likes).  

Chances are there will be someone in your group who won't be bothered and who will shift the turd off the green with a stick or wrapped in a large leaf.  For picking a ball out of the hole they may not be carrying a pair of Marigolds, unlike the resourceful Mr Bean but don't most of us have a pocket full of spare golf gloves?  They put  on the oldest (which in my case is probably no longer fit for purpose anyway), pick the ball out the hole, and with the ball still in their hand, peel the glove off so that the ball is inside it and the clean* inside of the glove is now outside. Glove and ball can be put into their bag to be binned later.   Voila, job done.  

*"Clean" is a relative term when considering the environment inside a well used golf glove.  😃

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colin L said:

Do you ever consider what is unseen on the surface of the ball you play with considering it has landed on and rolled over ground covered in all sorts of vegetation, home to a multitude of organisms and the public lavatory of every creature that lives on it or passes over it?  Maybe like me you are just aware that your hands aren't clean when it comes to the mid-round snack and are in the habit of washing them when you come off the course.

In the situation illustrated  it isn't necessary to clear out the hole.  The problem is solely that if you haven't been lucky enough for your ball to be held  against the flagstick above the offending stuff your ball will be touching it and the source of  possible contamination of your ball is visual.  If you just can't bear the thought of touching a ball that might have some animal faeces on it, so be it.  You presumably have never changed a nappy (or played Brora or its likes).  

Chances are there will be someone in your group who won't be bothered and who will shift the turd off the green with a stick or wrapped in a large leaf.  For picking a ball out of the hole they may not be carrying a pair of Marigolds, unlike the resourceful Mr Bean but don't most of us have a pocket full of spare golf gloves?  They put  on the oldest (which in my case is probably no longer fit for purpose anyway), pick the ball out the hole, and with the ball still in their hand, peel the glove off so that the ball is inside it and the clean* inside of the glove is now outside. Glove and ball can be put into their bag to be binned later.   Voila, job done.  

*"Clean" is a relative term when considering the environment inside a well used golf glove.  😃

I guarantee you Petri dish test human feces compared to an old golf gloves the feces would win. 

some of the comments on here are so outrageous that I hope they are jokes.  Especially mr bean with the disposable gloves but I’ll let that slide for now. 

Nobody is actually putting out in this situation.  Even if you’re a stickler for the rules it’s not happening. Putt to an agreed upon spot on the green closest to the cup that the group agrees on. 

side note:  I was in this group and took a 2 putt. It wreaked of a** and I wasn’t prepared to witness that. 

Just now, abh00 said:

I guarantee you Petri dish test human feces compared to an old golf gloves the feces would win. 

some of the comments on here are so outrageous that I hope they are jokes.  Especially mr bean with the disposable gloves but I’ll let that slide for now. 

Nobody is actually putting out in this situation.  Even if you’re a stickler for the rules it’s not happening. Putt to an agreed upon spot on the green closest to the cup that the group agrees on. 

side note:  I was in this group and took a 2 putt. It wreaked of a** and I wasn’t prepared to witness that. 

It was match play for anyone who wants to complain

1 hour ago, abh00 said:

The comment about the internal environment of my golf glove wasn't meant to be serious, for goodness sake.  The interior of my ski boots is much worse. 😳  And as for what a baby's nappy and the state of its bum can be like ......... Now that's serious. 😃

We're obviously just different kinds of people, that's all.  I'm not particularly squeamish, have coped with unpleasant physical situations in my time and would just regard this pragmatically as something to be dealt with and get on with it.    As I say, just different. But I would only do it if absolutely necessary in a stroke play competition not in social golf.  I'm not that keen - or daft.

And by the way, I too carry disposable gloves in my golf bag.  They're part of my first aid kit.  Is that a joke?   Sanitiser too and so could clean my hands afterwards.  

Edited by Colin L