Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

This is an annual thread for Colorado residents. Feel free to post anything Colorado golf-related in this thread. For example...

• Great deals on green fees or club memberships
  • Recommendations for Colorado club fitters, swing coaches, etc.
  • Looking for a playing partner/golf league/club membership
  • Colorado golf course news/reviews
  • How awesome it was golfing last weekend wearing shorts and a t-shirt ... in January
  • How awesome it was golfing last weekend wearing snow gear ... in June
  • Accomplishing the Colorado duofecta of skiing and golfing on the same day

If you're new to Colorado, welcome! If you're a long-time Coloradan who just discovered this thread, welcome! Please introduce yourself!

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Happy 2023! Always a good way to start the year--dreaming about what you want to do...

• What are you looking to improve with your game this year?
  • What gear do plan on buying this year?
  • Do you plan on joining a club or league this year?
  • Any fun golf trips planned?

Thanks for getting the new thread up and running!!

Alright folks - who got some new golf toys for Christmas?

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
Srixon ZX 3W and Cobra RadSpeed Hybrid

:taylormade-small:P790 Irons
Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
OnCore ELIXR / Srixon Q-Star Divide Golf Ball
Cart-Tek 1500li Remote Cart

PrecisionPro NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado // Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

3 hours ago, CDM said:

Happy New Year.

I did a fitting between holidays and ordered new irons and different driver shaft. Crossing fingers it works out.

Edit:  Other than the trip we planned for end of March/First of April just play more.

Where did you go for your fitting?  What irons did you get?  Details!! lol...

Where's your trip in March/April?  I did 2 trips to Mesquite/Vegas last year and one out to play Prairie Dunes in Kansas.  Three golf trips was a fluke, usually only do one a year.

• Like 2

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Anyone ever done a fitting with Gott Golf?  I searched for golf fitters in our area, his company came up.

What looks most appealing is the indoor/outdoor fitting experience.  I like to see the whole ball flight.

They're running a Holiday Special right now, 2 hrs of full-bag fitting for $100.

Very, very tempting.

• Like 1

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

1 hour ago, golf4pj said:

Anyone ever done a fitting with Gott Golf?  I searched for golf fitters in our area, his company came up.

What looks most appealing is the indoor/outdoor fitting experience.  I like to see the whole ball flight.

They're running a Holiday Special right now, 2 hrs of full-bag fitting for $100.

Very, very tempting.

I did a few years ago and maybe my case was a bad situation but I can not recommend them. Others speak highly of them.  I had Titleist irons and was not getting along with the shaft and Gott listed them as a Titleist fitter on the website.

I set the appointment made it clear I just wanted to get a better shaft as I liked the heads.  Go to the fitting, warmed up and they handed me a Callaway iron ??  I asked where is the Titliist and they said they did have Titleist.... ? I noted when I set the fitting I was coming for the Titleist and they list it on the website.  He said nothing.....so I set cash on the table and walked out. 

I later learned if you want to be fit for Titleist go to Bear Creek. They are a performance fitter for Titleist and you dont have to be a member to do the fitting. 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 8:34 PM, golf4pj said:

Where did you go for your fitting?  What irons did you get?  Details!! lol...

Where's your trip in March/April?  I did 2 trips to Mesquite/Vegas last year and one out to play Prairie Dunes in Kansas.  Three golf trips was a fluke, usually only do one a year.

I did my fitting in Phoenix this last week at True Spec. I did the whole bag fitting. They dont upsale anything. Nothing beat my hybrids/woods. *Cant hit a 3 wood for sh*t...

Irons we did find a better combo in the end.   Driver it was a coin toss but did see some decent gains with a different shaft.  I have a TSi3 and the fitter said he would not even try to change out the head. Eveyoine feels it is better then the TSR and as good as any out right now.  I tried the Stealth, Rogue Max, Srixon and Cobra but it was all pretty much the same.  Stealth was longer but harder to control so just did a different shaft setup.

It was outdoors as I like to see ball flight too.  That noted I would say the indoor facility they have is one of the best I have seen.  Had to go over to it for hte putter fitting.  They only bent/adjusted my putter.  Though since I have been home and putting around the house I feel like I missing everything by smidge now 🙄  *They give a full spec sheet on everything so can always bend it back if wanted LOL

Trip wise is NZL/TAS/AUS for 2.5 weeks roughly and all focused on golf.   A lot of flight time for sure but should be worth it.  We figured we should do it while we can still.   Link to the courses from the old thread.   

SADLY 😂 I found out Tara iti is a no go today based on timing.  A few members would being willing host but BOTH are on golf trips in AUS while we are there....go figure LOL.   The club post covid has gotten so many request they have stopped allowing unacompanied play now until further notice OR we could of played it.  Bummer.  

I guess I will just have to fly back some time to play it 😃

Edited by CDM
  • Like 3

CGA holding the state am at Raindance Ntl in Windsor this year. 8400 yards tipped out, 7700 from the next tee box. 

Match Play finals at Columbine is a great call. 

https://www.coloradogolf.org/mens-tournaments/

Edit: Mid Am going up to Haymaker in Steamboat turn of Sept into Oct. I'd like to see this moved back a little in the schedule for the venues at elevation. Just seems a little weather risky.

Edited by Troy_McClure
Added Mid Am Info.
  • Like 3

As with every year, I'd love to practice more. I've developed a nasty habit of hitting everything super low on the clubface. Not quite thin, but just low enough to that I can feel I didn't hit it well, and I'm definitely losing distance. I'm also looking to correct my severe inside-out swing path. But practice takes time, and time is something I don't have a lot of.

Got a "new" driver and hybrid last year. I'm looking to replace my LW to back to something Ping if I can find one cheap enough. Also looking for an inexpensive center-shafted putter with some kind of toe hang, but that seems to be quite the unicorn.

I re-upped my membership with Front Range Golf Club. They are celebrating their 20th season this year. I hope to play a few more tournaments than I did last year, but I have a ton of stuff going on. I'm also going to continue to play in a super casual 9-hole "league" on Thursday nights. If you live on the south side of town, you're welcome to join. Edited to add: Mrs. Swede and I will also re-up playing in The Links couples league this summer. We had a great time last year, but we may not be able to play as many tournaments due to graduations and vacations.

I might potentially be going down to Phoenix in March with some buddies to play. Originally it was going to be a long weekend in Hawaii since my buddy has a condo and also bought a membership at Waikoloa, but airfares for that short of a trip is not justifiable. Phoenix is only green-lit if I can somehow tack on a campus visit to ASU with my daughter. Otherwise, I'm going to try to play a few rounds in Sweden this summer (as usual), but I'll be burning a ton of vacation days preparing for my kid's high school graduation and our trip to Sweden (this time, she's bringing her boyfriend and three best friends along).

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 4

On 1/1/2023 at 3:41 PM, pseudoswede said:

Happy 2023! Always a good way to start the year--dreaming about what you want to do...

- Avoiding penalty strokes off the tee...my driving last year was either amazing or OB.  Rarely in between.  Arccos would tell me that both the best and worst parts of the game were off the tee....ugh.  So trying to work on increasing both speed and accuracy (a tall order, I know).  I've been able to get the swing up to 118 on various sims, so hoping to both get my max speed up over 120 while getting a "playing" speed around 115.  We'll see how that goes.  Hopefully I can get the handicap down in the 7-8 range again and keep it there.  Seem to be stuck around 10 recently.  

- No gear!  Finally have a bag where I don't feel a need to change anything.

- I'll do CommonGround men's club again and may just do the yearly membership as well.  

- Going back to Pinehurst in March for another hickory golf trip (went last March as well).  This year though we are staying at Talamore and playing Talamore (first time, heard good stuff), Tobacco road (most excited for this round), Southern Pines (only got to play 14 holes last year due to frost delay plus flights to catch, so looking forward to playing all 18), Pine Needles twice (was my favorite course last year, more than No. 2 even), and Quail Ridge (first time here as well).  We may try to play one more 18 at whatever Pinehurst course we could get on before we have the leave but we'll see, it's already a lot of golf!  Nothing else currently planned but I'm sure something else will come up.  

I also got the OK from the wife to try to put in a simulator at the house....just need to see if I can make the logistics work.  We have the original 1 car garage on our property that was turned into a kind of shed/casita type building, but the ceiling is too low.  So I would need to have someone put in a new roof/ceiling structure to add room to be able to swing.  Anyone have a good contractor they would recommend for something like that?  

Anyway, here's to a great 2023 golf season!  

• Like 4

On 1/1/2023 at 8:39 PM, golf4pj said:

Very, very tempting.

I did a fitting with Brian back when he owned it.  It's been since sold so I don't now how things are with the new ownership.  I did like that you could actually hit balls into the range and see the flight.  Once I narrowed it down to 2 irons he let me take them on the grass range so I could see how turf interaction was and how it felt off actual grass instead of the mats. Brian was very big on focusing on accuracy and dispersion over distance, which I appreciated

If you search past threads you'll find the pros and cons of what people went through with fittings there.  They don't carry every brand (or at least didn't when I went, again not sure what has changed since I've been) so if you are set on something or want to at least hit it, may want to make sure it's there. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 9:51 PM, CDM said:

I did a few years ago and maybe my case was a bad situation but I can not recommend them. Others speak highly of them.  I had Titleist irons and was not getting along with the shaft and Gott listed them as a Titleist fitter on the website.

I set the appointment made it clear I just wanted to get a better shaft as I liked the heads.  Go to the fitting, warmed up and they handed me a Callaway iron ??  I asked where is the Titliist and they said they did have Titleist.... ? I noted when I set the fitting I was coming for the Titleist and they list it on the website.  He said nothing.....so I set cash on the table and walked out. 

I later learned if you want to be fit for Titleist go to Bear Creek. They are a performance fitter for Titleist and you dont have to be a member to do the fitting. 

I'd also add Gregg Herbison out at Walnut Creek for Titleist clubs.  I got my Vokeys through him and loved the process.  You also hit outside off grass and he has a Trackman out there (which we didn't use for wedges but he does for irons and woods).  If I knew I wanted Titleist irons I'd go back to him for sure.    

• Like 3

• more of the same. I'm still nursing a ruptured tunnel in my right hand. Injury sustained in a drunken birthday celebration bowling of all things. The irony is, I haven't practiced much at all since the injury and my 3 rounds have been 75, 81, and 76 since my return, which are excellent scores for this 8 HC player.
    • For the first time in forever, I'm content with my bag. The Titleist T100s I built with Oban CT are as good as anything I've ever played, and it will allow me to take my ZX7 with MMT 105S back east for a 2nd bag back in Virginia. My wife is now a flight attendant for Frontier so I'm hoping to get back and play at my old stomping grounds a bunch more this year.
    • Nope, I like too many of the local muni courses to commit to a single place (or at least that's what I tell myself each time I look at the cost of a membership anywhere haha)
    • I will probably continue the men's league 9 holer at Walnut. Great group in my opinion and I like the course.
    • VA and Naples, FL. Have relatives in both places and can't wait to utilize my family pass on Frontier for some quick trips. Also, I'm in the process of changing jobs that should allow a lot more flexibility to my schedule.

Still awaiting an opportunity to play with some of the folks on this thread. I wish you all health and happiness in the new year. Cheers, fairways, and greens!!

Edited by stoneydukes
  • Like 3

On 1/1/2023 at 3:55 PM, golf4pj said:

Thanks for getting the new thread up and running!!

Alright folks - who got some new golf toys for Christmas?

I had $800 in credit from City of Denver so my wife kicked in the rest for a mizzy CB/MB combo set. I haven't had mizzies since my old MP4's that I completely fell in love with. Unfortunately, they couldn't order them until 2023 because it required a new account but the guy at Willis said he had a few people ordering mizuno equipment so he was going to get it done in January.

Either way, they won't be broken out until March so I don't care.

• Like 4

Yo @pseudoswedeyou starting the 2023 page? Love this thread, don’t want to take your honors! 

Also, not trying to invite myself anywhere, but @Joelness you doing any winter weekend indoor golf days this year? I’d be down for that. 

Happy New Year!

Hey @bobbyclampett!! !

Ummmm, basically every weeekend? I hit balls 4-5 days a week at least. My pelvis is now holding up enough that I should be able to get 40-60 in almost daily depending on what I'm hitting/working on. If you want to roll it looks like the next two weekends would be best. This weekend we don't have anything on the calendar and the following one my wife will be in Tucson for a girls golf trip so there won't be anything else for me to do. Looks like the three weeks after that my wife has us on a cleanse so I'll be down there, just less beer than normal 😉.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Joelness said:

My only complaints are the slow greens. I'm not sure why but the fastest greens we played were ~9.5 yesterday at Hapuna Golf Course. It was one of the cheapest rounds and a great track. I think the architecture of its sister course, Mauna Kea is better but the greens at Hapuna made up for it.

I've noticed that on trips to Hawaii in early winter before. I'm guessing they let them grow to prepare for their high season in the spring when everyone comes for whale watching

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ASak10 said:

I'd also add Gregg Herbison out at Walnut Creek for Titleist clubs.  I got my Vokeys through him and loved the process.  You also hit outside off grass and he has a Trackman out there (which we didn't use for wedges but he does for irons and woods).  If I knew I wanted Titleist irons I'd go back to him for sure.    

I know Greg. Good guy.  Played in a pro-am or two with him as a good friend and him are close and play a lot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joelness said:

I had $800 in credit from City of Denver so my wife kicked in the rest for a mizzy CB/MB combo set. I haven't had mizzies since my old MP4's that I completely fell in love with. Unfortunately, they couldn't order them until 2023 because it required a new account but the guy at Willis said he had a few people ordering mizuno equipment so he was going to get it done in January.

Did you go with a 221/223 combo or the JPX line? 

13 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

Did you go with a 221/223 combo or the JPX line? 

221/223. 5 and 6 will be 223. Generally, I want a 1 piece forged head. I want Mizuno's for the feel.

My current set is a the 2018 Callaway X-Forged. Personally I find the CB helps me a lot on the long irons but I want the feel and the turf interaction of a blade on mid and short irons (<200yards). I kept my old Titleist 610MB set which I use on the GCQ and I hit them just as good so might as well get the feel of a blade.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Joelness said:

221/223. 5 and 6 will be 223. Generally, I want a 1 piece forged head. I want Mizuno's for the feel.

My current set is a the 2018 Callaway X-Forged. Personally I find the CB helps me a lot on the long irons but I want the feel and the turf interaction of a blade on mid and short irons (<200yards). I kept my old Titleist 610MB set which I use on the GCQ and I hit them just as good so might as well get the feel of a blade.

Oh I get that, I have the MP-20 line, thought about doing a 223/225 combo but figured I have more work to do on my swing rather than worrying about new irons.  So I'll keep the 20s and maybe look at something for next year.  

• Like 1

Has anyone else played Mauna Kea? It was by far the coolest track. However, it felt weird like Columbine CC used to feel weird. Every single landing zone either doglegged and/or bunkered on both sides while narrowing. It was fun and beautiful but I would HATE to play it every day.

The feeling I get is they tried to make it hard just to make it hard. There's no thought of "how can I game plan this course" because the only way to play well is to stripe it all day. Ew

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

Oh I get that, I have the MP-20 line, thought about doing a 223/225 combo but figured I have more work to do on my swing rather than worrying about new irons.  So I'll keep the 20s and maybe look at something for next year.  

I bought them mostly because I've been saving my Denver golf gift cards as they have a 5 year expiration. Tbh, my Callaways have 1-2 more years on them. If more people thought that way scores would be lower and more money could be spent on playing instead of clubs that mostly don't help our scores at all. Good on ya!

There's some talent in this game but mostly, it's hard work. I think anyone remotely athletic can be a single digit if they have the time and effort available.

This makes me think, if any of ya'll had to quantify how much practice you've done in your life, what do you think that number is?

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2023 at 8:36 AM, Joelness said:

Gratz.  I went Mizuno Pro's 225's during my fitting last week. Should be in end of the month.   True blades would be a bit tough for me.  The 223's were great too but wanted bit a more forgiveness. 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

This makes me think, if any of ya'll had to quantify how much practice you've done in your life, what do you think that number is?

A LOT 😂  But I'm a bit of a grinder/range rat and I love practicing, so it's certainly fun for me.  I also like doing on-course practice when I'm out playing with my kids, especially on the par 3 course when we go out.  No idea how to even being to try to quantify it.  I started taking golf seriously in 2016...I was a 23 handicap (and even that was probably generous).  Started taking lessons regularly and trying to put in the work to implement the changes.  Eventually worked my way down to single digits and then stalled a bit last year, so trying to get back in the groove.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CDM said:

Gratz.  I went Mizuno Pro's 225's during my fitting last week. Should be in end of the month.   True blades would be a bit tough for me.  The 223's were great too but wanted just that bit more forgiveness. 

You too! Lmk how you like them when they show up.

17 hours ago, Dancin said:

Close to 0 compared to playing time. I am content to be a 7-9 and don't want to put in the effort needed to drop that.

Nothing wrong with that. Playing definitely makes you better too. Still, with your striking you could easily drop it to a 3-5 with putting and chipping work. I also understand being happy where you are and using the limited time you have to play and enjoy the game as well. On that same note, no way you're getting 100% of your strokes when we play match play 😜

You might have a new nickname..... stripe-show 

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ASak10 said:

A LOT 😂  But I'm a bit of a grinder/range rat and I love practicing, so it's certainly fun for me.  I also like doing on-course practice when I'm out playing with my kids, especially on the par 3 course when we go out.  No idea how to even being to try to quantify it.  I started taking golf seriously in 2016...I was a 23 handicap (and even that was probably generous).  Started taking lessons regularly and trying to put in the work to implement the changes.  Eventually worked my way down to single digits and then stalled a bit last year, so trying to get back in the groove.   

Nice work! There can be a certain meditation while practicing also. Playing the par 3 courses with kids is a great time. My grandfather used to take us all the time.

• Like 1