Confused by Dormie Network, Briggs Ranch

For several reasons beyond my control, I am going to be the recipient of a home in Briggs Ranch, a Dormie course in San Antonio, Texas.  I understand that normally, their courses aren't near housing and are often pretty secluded, thus making it attractive to National membership offerings.

I inquired about joining the club, not really understanding what Dormie was.  I just wanted to play the course where I was going to live.  

As I understand it, they prefer members to be 75 miles or more away from the course, so that....I don't play it much?   

Anyways, was quoted a large initiation fee, and about $1,000/mo and said that almost none of the residents there were members, thus making the course seem pretty unattractive for any sort of traditional club vibes/networking.

Due to having several small children, I am not in a position where I can travel nationally to just play golf, so the Network effect doesn't apply to me much.

Anyone here members or know of SA members of Briggs?

Edited by pearsonownz

Correct, their model is based largely on national (and corporate) memberships, and on the "stay and play" concept. One of their managers directly told me they aren't interested in the guy who comes out on Sundays and buys one gatorade at the turn and then leaves right after they play. They want people spending money on F&B and lodging. 

All of the clubs except Dormie Club itself do have a local membership. The one at Briggs is quite small from what I know, and the course was just closed for ~8 months so I bet that some folks left. 

Part of the issue you're running into is the golf course ownership has no involvement in the real estate side. The real estate side never really took off and Dormie bought the course in 2017ish. 

Dormie network also hands out stay and plays like candy to the public through charity auctions. Just about every charity auction you see online that has golf related things has a stay and play offer from Dormie. I think they do limit the number of tee times per day to prevent any course from being too crowded, but you should view it more like a high end resort than a typical private club as most of the people you see out there will be from out of state.

9 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Dormie network also hands out stay and plays like candy to the public through charity auctions. Just about every charity auction you see online that has golf related things has a stay and play offer from Dormie. I think they do limit the number of tee times per day to prevent any course from being too crowded, but you should view it more like a high end resort than a typical private club as most of the people you see out there will be from out of state.

I think the thing with the charity auctions is those groups still bring in 2-3 days worth of F&B income. And a good way to introduce people to the concept/get them “hooked”. 

If you’re looking for a traditional local country club to call home, that’s not what the network is about. Guys you see playing won’t be sneaking in 9 after work or getting in an early morning round before their kids sporting events. With that said, the members I know really enjoy it. They also all seem to fit a certain demographic.

It is not their only membership. They belong to at least one local club and usually another one or two where their vacation home(s) are.  Commonly they are flying private with buddies/non members for a fun weekend getaway. They all have a ton of disposable income and idea of only using the membership 2-4 times a year isn’t an issue. If the membership is used for business/networking it’s usually a place they meet an out of town business owner or somewhere they go if they’re trying to woo a new client. The members I know all use them as buddies trips. 

Above are correct. Their model is to be a hotel with a golf course attached. They want overnight usage for corporate entertainment and price their individual and corporate memberships as so. I have heard they may be moving the entire network to their Dormie Club model at some point in the next few years where you have to stay overnight on property to play the courses. If you do join as an individual member plan on the rates increasing every year.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:18 PM, canonlbp430 said:

Above are correct. Their model is to be a hotel with a golf course attached. They want overnight usage for corporate entertainment and price their individual and corporate memberships as so. I have heard they may be moving the entire network to their Dormie Club model at some point in the next few years where you have to stay overnight on property to play the courses. If you do join as an individual member plan on the rates increasing every year.

They are 100% moving toward that model for the rest of their courses. A buddy of mine is getting squeezed out of his home course that Dormie acquired. 

I live in SA and Briggs went from a vibrant and young local membership to most of the golfing populous thinking it actually closed, when it did not. Briggs is not the greatest place for the traditional CC vibe. The course is wonderful though! 

Edited by J_Birdie

5 hours ago, J_Birdie said:

They are 100% moving toward that model for the rest of their courses. A buddy of mine is getting squeezed out of his home course that Dormie acquired. 

I live in SA and Briggs went from a vibrant and young local membership to most of the golfing populous thinking it actually closed, when it did not. Briggs is not the greatest place for the traditional CC vibe. The course is wonderful though! 

Hidden Creek and Vic National it’s supposedly been pretty contentious with the local membership. Members weren’t happy with the acquisition and sudden changes to their home club, and management not so subtly trying to drive them out. 

I heard at Hidden Creek in particular it’s been quite testy. 

As other have said Dormie Network is an interesting concept, not really designed for locals.  If you are an avid golfer, Dormie only really works as a second club.  Courses and hospitality are great though. 

Not super familiar with SA area but for the price you can probably find a better locals place if that is what you are looking for.  In case you didn't know already Briggs has no traditional country club amenities like pool, fitness, tennis.  It is golf, food and bev and the cottages, that is it.  

Use a different family members address as the primary address 😉

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10* Ventus Blue TR

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Tensei Blue

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* Tensei Blue

Ping G425 22* Tensei CK Pro Orange

Titleist T100 5-PW ProjectX LZ

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

2 hours ago, oneunderbogey said:

Even if you don't care about the morals... could be a good way to kiss a large initiation fee goodbye if you get caught

Very moral to buy a golf community and exclude residents from joining.  Always interesting to me how often we ascribe morals to individuals only and not to a business.  "its just business" is perhaps the most amoral saying ever.

15 hours ago, vallygolf said:

Very moral to buy a golf community and exclude residents from joining.  Always interesting to me how often we ascribe morals to individuals only and not to a business.  "its just business" is perhaps the most amoral saying ever.

How is this immoral? The residents were either members or they weren’t. If they weren’t, then they have no say in the management of the course. If they were members, then they knew the business model of the buyer of the course and the direction they would go. Someone coming in after the fact can do their due diligence and decide whether or not to join. 

17 hours ago, vallygolf said:

1.  It is not a "golf community" its like maybe 50 homes behind the gates, it was supposed to be a high end golf community back when the original developer owned it but it didn't work. 

2.  They don't exclude residents, its just expensive 

3.  They bought the course when it was struggling to stay afloat so the residents should be happy it didn't just go bankrupt and disappear. 

1 hour ago, oneunderbogey said:

1.  It is not a "golf community" its like maybe 50 homes behind the gates, it was supposed to be a high end golf community back when the original developer owned it but it didn't work. 

2.  They don't exclude residents, its just expensive 

3.  They bought the course when it was struggling to stay afloat so the residents should be happy it didn't just go bankrupt and disappear. 

All good points and I would just add that they also bought it before they had fully fleshed out their vision of what the network would look like. At the time they bought it things were looking more like a Troon or Escalante group that just owns a series of clubs 

• 2 weeks later...

If you live close to Briggs, just join The Golf Club of Texas that’s right across the street. It’s arguably a top 3 golf course  in SA and it’s semi-private as well. When Briggs closed for 8 months, most of Briggs members just went over to GCoT. Top flight course with exceptional amenities.

• 5 months later...
On 1/24/2023 at 2:24 PM, vallygolf said:

The Dormie Network didn't buy a "golf community". They bought a golf course. The previous owners of said golf course failed at their attempt and thus had to sell. Dormie is under ZERO obligation to the surrounding community. It is a private business and can do as it sees fit. 

• Like 2