Contra Costa Country Club (Pleasant Hill) and surrounding

Gnucastle

We are considering a potential downsize move to the East Bay Area from Redwood City and looking at places in Pleasant Hill / Walnut Creek / Layette. Do we have any Contra Costa CC members on here that can speak to current membership costs, club culture, and course? I don't have to join a CC, but would like to if the cost, community/culture, and course is right.  

Also is anyone on here with knowledge about public course options in the area? I am somewhat familiar with the area as I used to work at Oakhurst CC in my 20s, but that has been ~20 years ago (wow hard to say that). I'd imagine a lot has changed in that area since then. 

Thank you!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as public courses:

San Ramon will be your baseline suburb-surrounded muni with typical muni conditions, business, etc. Greens are good though.

Canyon Lakes is your slightly above average, a little quirky/contrived but still fun daily fee course. I happen to like it 

The Bridges is your semi-private, upscale daily fee option. It is really hard. Like really hard. But it's condition is typically A+ (when it isn't raining) I happen to love it and I would play either Bridges or Canyon Lakes without much hesitation if asked. 

Towards Pleasanton there's Dublin Ranch, 18 hole executive course with nice views, Las Positas, a decent condition public track, and Callippe Preserve, which is one of the better municipal courses I have played, when accounting for challenge, variety, shot shapes, etc. Play Callippe if you haven't already.

Wente Vineyards is expensive and in excellent condition typically. Unfortunately I am yet to play out at Poppy Ridge.

To the north you've got Boundary Oak which is a decent course and Diablo Creek which... isn't worth it to be honest. Its got decent conditioning but otherwise it's just boringly playing the same hole seemingly 18 times. I've not played the little 9 hole on the road to Boundary Oak. 

That's about it for public courses in that valley as far as I know!

I know a lot of Contra Costa members.  As of about mid-2021, it was mid-$30s to join, and around $1k per month (who knows now, with inflation increasing dues everywhere).

Positives: Good club vibe, lots of avid golfers, not stuffy.  Terrific walkable course - interesting and enjoyable layout.  Active club calendar for golf events.  Updated practice facilities.  

Negatives:  Busy tee sheet.  Course doesn't drain particularly well, so I imagine it is a slog right now (they use reclaimed water, so it plays soft throughout the year).  No dedicated "mens grill" if that is important....after golf you go to the main restaurant and not a subsection of it.  Greens slower than they appear, all throughout the year.

The positives outnumber the negatives (in case I didn't present the above well).

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

On 1/8/2023 at 6:58 PM, James the Hogan Fan said:

As far as public courses:

San Ramon will be your baseline suburb-surrounded muni with typical muni conditions, business, etc. Greens are good though.

Canyon Lakes is your slightly above average, a little quirky/contrived but still fun daily fee course. I happen to like it 

The Bridges is your semi-private, upscale daily fee option. It is really hard. Like really hard. But it's condition is typically A+ (when it isn't raining) I happen to love it and I would play either Bridges or Canyon Lakes without much hesitation if asked. 

Towards Pleasanton there's Dublin Ranch, 18 hole executive course with nice views, Las Positas, a decent condition public track, and Callippe Preserve, which is one of the better municipal courses I have played, when accounting for challenge, variety, shot shapes, etc. Play Callippe if you haven't already.

Wente Vineyards is expensive and in excellent condition typically. Unfortunately I am yet to play out at Poppy Ridge.

To the north you've got Boundary Oak which is a decent course and Diablo Creek which... isn't worth it to be honest. Its got decent conditioning but otherwise it's just boringly playing the same hole seemingly 18 times. I've not played the little 9 hole on the road to Boundary Oak. 

That's about it for public courses in that valley as far as I know!

This is a great summary of what’s available from a public perspective. My parents used to live in the area so here are some thoughts on the above: 

The Bridges - James is right when he says this course is really hard. I personally hate it because there is zero margin for error and I’ve had the worst rounds of my life here, but it is in good shape and is probably a “hate it or love it” situation

Canyon Lakes - quirky golf course for sure. Can be fun but I wouldn’t want to play it as my home course 

Boundary Oaks - not in the best shape and can be slow, but I really enjoy it. Greens can be super fast and you’re dead above the hole 

Calippe - I echo what James said. Awesome “muni”. Hole 18 is garbage though, and there are some funny holes to start the back 9

Poppy Ridge - James mentioned this as an option, but I would argue this is the best of the best public option in the east bay. 27 holes keeps it interesting, lots of good vistas, elevation changes but not in a negative way and usually in solid shape. Decent prices if you are an NCGA member. A bit of a drive from Walnut Creek, but worth it

Castlewood may be another club to consider if you’re willing to drive. I don’t have much info on it, but played a charity event there and it was nice. Has 36 holes too. 

The Bridges is Johnny Miller (designer) at his worst.

Castlewood is a good call...good club vibe.  But check on status of rumored plans to close one of the courses (and turn it into $$$ for real estate value).  Otherwise, in area of Pleasant Hill it is Diablo (expensive but great), Round Hill (not my favorite course but a great "country club" experience, and Orinda (expensive but probably the only course in Bay Area that was allowing carts up until yesterday...great drainage).  Contra Costa is the best call.  If over 55, buy a place in Rossmoor and enjoy their facilities...I would consider that someday.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

2 hours ago, carrera said:

Sucks (sort of) when several posters give detailed info in response to an OP, and the OP doesn't visit the site again.  

Hey Carrera out of curiosity, I've always wondered how you've come to acquire inside knowledge of practically every club in the 9 Bay Area counties. Just get around a lot?

No insinuation meant, just a bit of jealous awe! 😄

5 hours ago, carrera said:

Sucks (sort of) when several posters give detailed info in response to an OP, and the OP doesn't visit the site again.  

@carrera Yah sorry. Had a really hard week at work with a deadline due today. Last Sunday the wife and I drove around Pleasant Hill and the surrounding area, looked at a couple homes and liked it a lot. I like what I am hearing about Contra Costa CC, and will need to check it out. 

Not quite over 55 so the Rossmoor. option isn't available yet. I keep getting fooled on home/condo prices in that area on Redfin though. See one that looks great at a really good price...and low and behold...it's in Rossmoor. 

I think one of the areas we drove through last weekend surrounded the course. You get back off into some of the hill areas and it doesn't feel like you are 5 minutes away from a main highway. 

For the public courses in the area, I've played most of them @James the Hogan Fan and agree with your assessment. I played The Bridges over the summer and it was fun but VERY target golf (typical Miller). 

I remember Canyon Lakes having some funky holes - like teeing off with a 6-iron on a decent size par 4 otherwise you be in a lake. Then the second shot was all carry over water. That sound right?

19 minutes ago, Gnucastle said:

@carrera Yah sorry. Had a really hard week at work with a deadline due today. Last Sunday the wife and I drove around Pleasant Hill and the surrounding area, looked at a couple homes and liked it a lot. I like what I am hearing about Contra Costa CC, and will need to check it out. 

Not quite over 55 so the Rossmoor. option isn't available yet. I keep getting fooled on home/condo prices in that area on Redfin though. See one that looks great at a really good price...and low and behold...it's in Rossmoor. 

I think one of the areas we drove through last weekend surrounded the course. You get back off into some of the hill areas and it doesn't feel like you are 5 minutes away from a main highway. 

For the public courses in the area, I've played most of them @James the Hogan Fan and agree with your assessment. I played The Bridges over the summer and it was fun but VERY target golf (typical Miller). 

I remember Canyon Lakes having some funky holes - like teeing off with a 6-iron on a decent size par 4 otherwise you be in a lake. Then the second shot was all carry over water. That sound right?

That would be the 4th yeah. I thinned a 7 iron from the tips on that hole and found the ball one revolution from the drink. Managed to extract it from there (being only 85 out with a sand wedge and made birdie! 

I was actually impressed with the condition of Canyon Lakes when I played last summer, it was in better shape than (for example) hiddenbrook in Solano County, which surprised me.

On 1/13/2023 at 7:43 PM, James the Hogan Fan said:

Hey Carrera out of curiosity, I've always wondered how you've come to acquire inside knowledge of practically every club in the 9 Bay Area counties. Just get around a lot?

No insinuation meant, just a bit of jealous awe! 😄

Ha, yes, just have been around the neighborhood for a long time and have friends at a lot of different clubs.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• 2 weeks later...

@carrera - what can you share about Orinda CC? Course review, initiation, monthly, membership vibe. I’m younger and just moved to the East bay and we are looking to buy a place. Living in Orinda and being a member there looks like it could be a great set up

For the original post - Contra Costa CC looks like a solid course. The only thing that gives me hesitation is a lack of pool and tennis. I doubt I could get my wife onboard without those…

Ha, now I know less about cars than my login name indicates.

CBD, Orinda is a great family club and has a terrific golf course, pool and tennis.  The course was renovated around 7 years ago, and it has amazing drainage and maybe the best greens (firmness and speed) in NorCal.  Only a couple of days this year when carts weren't allowed, when many other courses were closed and even after cart paths were removed from the majority of holes.  

Course tour:  https://www.orindacc.org/course-tour

Depending on your age, there are some good membership options in terms of monthlies and the payment of the initiation fee.   You can call the club and get all the info from their membership director.  The membership has gotten a lot younger over the last few years as more people work from home.

Note that while Contra Costa doesn't have tennis, they have a pool.  They don't have the pool scene that Orinda, Round Hill or Diablo have, though.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

On 1/25/2023 at 7:15 PM, 4Eyes said:

IMO the main downside of Orinda CC is that they have no practice facilities. No range.

True, there isn't a dedicated range there.  But portions of holes are available for use each day as grass driving ranges for three hours in the morning, and later in the afternoon.  Plus a short game area with multiple greens and bunkers and options for pitch shots.  "Hit until happy" off the first tee is the standard rule since most show up to play without using the 18th hole morning driving range or the 16th hole (shots up to 140 yds) to hit warmup balls.  No one would bat an eye if you had to reload a couple of times on the first tee.

Saratoga, some day.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Saratoga.... not worth the drive down.  Only 9 holes, 2500 yards, infuriating.  We do have fantastic greens though.  🙂

Back to the OP's question... my guess is money must be no object (it must be if you are asking about private clubs in the Bay Area) so....do Orinda.  Great course but more importantly, from all I have seen every time there, great people.  Very fun atmosphere.

• 2 months later...

I live 10 minutes from Bridges and echo what most are saying. Always in terrific shape, but brutally difficult. The running joke you’ll hear here in San Ramon when someone asks about it is “make sure you take a lot of balls”. Haha

A silver lining is, ~5 feet off most fairways you can find quite a few barely hit Pro Vs! 

On 1/9/2023 at 10:05 AM, carrera said:

I know a lot of Contra Costa members.  As of about mid-2021, it was mid-$30s to join, and around $1k per month (who knows now, with inflation increasing dues everywhere).

Positives: Good club vibe, lots of avid golfers, not stuffy.  Terrific walkable course - interesting and enjoyable layout.  Active club calendar for golf events.  Updated practice facilities.  

Negatives:  Busy tee sheet.  Course doesn't drain particularly well, so I imagine it is a slog right now (they use reclaimed water, so it plays soft throughout the year).  No dedicated "mens grill" if that is important....after golf you go to the main restaurant and not a subsection of it.  Greens slower than they appear, all throughout the year.

The positives outnumber the negatives (in case I didn't present the above well).

What clubs, especially those west of caldecott tunnel/south of Novato/north of Redwood City have men’s grills?