2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Most Overrated Golf Courses I’ve Played

10 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

Okay, as I said, how specifically does Torrey South suck?

Who designed it or whatever is a side matter.

I mean, what about the holes sucks for you?

It does depend what time of year you play it, as they do somewhat ruin the course in preparation of the tournament(s).

I have to jump in here on a couple of these in this thread and comment. I also agree that Torrey South is overrated. It is basically 18 straight golf holes outside of 1 hole that turns 20 degrees. The only thing that makes that course is the views. They just made a long golf course with small greens, narrow fairways and decent rough. Drop that course in Iowa and it doesn’t make the state’s top 10. I guess it’s great if you just like hitting to straight holes all day. 

10 hours ago, hollabachgt said:

This should be the question everyone has to answer when they classify a course as overrated. If you go into a course expecting it to be the greatest course in the history of the game and it just really good you're going to find it overrated.

But without knowing someone's expectation going into a round, and what that expectation was founded on, its hard to qualify the perspective.

For example, prior to the First time I played East Lake, the best description of the course I'd heard was it was like an exceptionally good bowl of vanilla ice cream. That was my expectation going into the day, and my experience qualified it as accurate. Its a good course, but is missing some of what you may expect from the home of Bobby Jones, a former Ryder Cup venue, and the longstanding home of the Tour Championship. So it's easy to see if someone was expecting rocky road and was given a bowl of vanilla, even if it was a really really good bowl of vanilla, they could find themselves disappointed.

I agree with this and this is why Pine Valley is overrated to me. It was the #1 course in the US when I played it and I was expecting it to be such a great golf course. And it was good. But not to what I built up in my head. I walked away feeling underwhelmed. 

10 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

How, specifically, does Torrey Pines (South) suck?

10 hours ago, DomJones said:

I won’t disrespect the dead as we have already assassinated his character on this website, but Rees Jones. 

Are we to presume then that you enjoyed the original William Bell version of the course and its it the Rees Jones renovations that you found to be overrated? Since Rees wasn't the original designer and changed very little about the course's routing it, for your argument against the course to be based on his involvement it would seem that you don't have a problem with Bell's original work.

Torrey Pines

Harbour Town

Medinah

Congressional

It would appear the connected theme in all these courses is they are showcased on our television for large professional events in pristine condition. And when we get a chance to play them we're expecting the same condition, the same environment that we saw on our television some time in the past. With that perspective its hard not to be setup for a letdown.

It would be like watching a WS game 7 at Fenway on TV and seeing the excitement of the place, wanting to experience the same. But when you finally get to go its a Tuesday afternoon game in August when the Red Sox are playing the Pirates and both teams have been eliminated from the playoffs. Its still a game in Fenway, but its nothing like what you saw on TV.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, hollabachgt said:

Torrey Pines

Harbour Town

Medinah

Congressional

It would appear the connected theme in all these courses is they are showcased on our television for large professional events in pristine condition. And when we get a chance to play them we're expecting the same condition, the same environment that we saw on our television some time in the past. With that perspective its hard not to be setup for a letdown.

It would be like watching a WS game 7 at Fenway on TV and seeing the excitement of the place, wanting to experience the same. But when you finally get to go its a Tuesday afternoon game in August when the Red Sox are playing the Pirates and both teams have been eliminated from the playoffs. Its still a game in Fenway, but its nothing like what you saw on TV.

When I played Harbour Town, the conditions were pretty pristine. Greens weren't PGA fast certainly, but course was in great shape. 

I just don't personally love HT because (a) it's not a great fit for my game. I had a lot of shots blocked off by trees because I didn't hit the right tight corridor for how the hole is meant to be played and (b) it has gotten stupid expensive. Neither of those are direct knocks on the architecture of the course. But I'm going back to HH this summer and have zero intent on trying to get back out on HT. 

14 minutes ago, hollabachgt said:

Are we to presume then that you enjoyed the original William Bell version of the course and its it the Rees Jones renovations that you found to be overrated? Since Rees wasn't the original designer and changed very little about the course's routing it, for your argument against the course to be based on his involvement it would seem that you don't have a problem with Bell's original work.

No I was just performing a drive by on Rees. The course is a muni and they should accept that. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DomJones said:

No I was just performing a drive by on Rees. The course is a muni and they should accept that. 

Ahh interesting. Being the course is municipally owned, has hosted a PGA tour event for the past 50+ year, and has hosted multiple major championships, puts it in very unique standing. It is one of only 4 municipally owned courses to host a US Open or PGA Championship, and it stands alone with Bethpage Black as the only 2 muni's to host multiple major championships. In that light, it could be said that it is in fact greatly underrated as its presence in the game is comparable to courses with much higher pedigree.

Would it be safe to presume that difference between the median municipal course and Torrey Pines is greater than the difference between the median private course and a place like Quail Hollow?

Edited by hollabachgt
grammer

7 minutes ago, hollabachgt said:

Ahh interesting. Being the course is municipally owned, has hosted a PGA tour event for the past 50+ year, and has hosted multiple major championships, puts it in very unique standing. It is one of only 4 municipally owned courses to host a US Open or PGA Championship, and it stands alone with Bethpage Black as the only 2 muni's to host multiple major championships. In that light, it could be said that it is in fact greatly underrated as its presence in the game is comparable to courses with much higher pedigree.

Would it be safe to presume that difference between the median municipal course and Torrey Pines is greater than the difference between the median private course and a place like Quail Hollow?

Apologies I meant to add Quail Hollow to this initially. I’d say it’s far from underrated when they force the Farmers down our throats then mix in a U.S. Open. Haven’t played Bethpage Black but I hear the course is slammed constantly so I’ll keep my distance. 

1 minute ago, Abh159 said:

There have been several threads like this over the years, and it seems like the common theme is that people have a hard time differentiating "overrated" from "overpriced".

To me those are two separate categories.

I should have said disappointed or waste of time to play. I assumed they would be a baseline level of nice and they were not. 

Don't really agree with the Pinehurst thoughts.... 

But Torrey Pines South completely agree. If you can play it at the Resident rate it's an awesome bang for your buck. Other than that Meh... Just a great local golf course. I may be a bit salty just because when I was there it rained on me half the day.... But course was not in THAT great of condition for the out of towner rate I played. And I could pay that same money in the Carolinas and play many courses that are 10 times better condition and still maybe get an ocean view too. 

• Like 1

Current WITB 2023...

• Callaway Epic Speed 9.5 - Hzrudus RDX Smoke Black 6.5 60g
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 16.5 4W
  • Adams Idea Pro A12 3 Hybrid 20 & 23 - Matrix Ozik Altus S Flex
  • SRIXON ZX5 / ZX7 COMBO 5-PW
  • SM7 50.08F, SM8 56.12F, SM8 58 M 
  • Odyssey Tri Hot Triple Wide

I'm pretty much underwhelmed by any course that charges more than $100 for a round of golf.

The muni down the street from me is entirely underwhelming, but charges $38 walking (after noon) during the height of the summer. Never been disappointed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

9 hours ago, st1800e said:

Not sure the number I played, but it was the Ryder cup/tournament course.  Couldn’t be in worse shape. Mud, on the dirt lies, patchy slow greens, and they insisted we had to have an asst pro play with us, and caddies.    Totalled $710 per player. We were introduced by a tour player.   Nevermind the snotty attitude in the proshop.  Ryder cup next year, so no play on the course the entire season of the Ryder cup.  Not spectacular, just a nice course.  My most underwhelming experience on a golf course, ever.  

That’s #3, and pretty much the same course conditions I experienced when I played. Played 5 courses in the Chicagoland area and by far it was the worst one we played. The other courses were all in pristine condition.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, hollabachgt said:

I could google it but seems like you may have the answer already. What are the other 2 besides Bethpage and Torrey? 

32 minutes ago, Drwoods2017 said:

Might not be a popular opinion but whistling straits didn't do it for me.  Very long round (almost 6 hours) and I think it falls in the overpriced not necessarily overrated but still.

I've heard some people say that and I could see that depending on the experience you have.  For me, it was a top 4 or 5 course that I've played.  We also played it in early season so rates were fairly cheap, the wind was non-existent and we went off with just a buddy in myself in the morning with our caddy and played in about 4.5-5 hours.  The time felt like it flew by and I was blown away by the course and the feeling I got from the place.  I also played decent so that helps as well. 

A hot take I have for a course that is overrated in my mind was Sand Valley.  I went into it expecting Bandon Dunes 2.0 and came away disappointed.  It didn't play as hard and fast(less linksy, was sucking my ball back on greens regularly), the greens weren't as interesting(felt like a lot of upside down saucers), and no ocean coming into play(spoiler alert). 

I probably fall into the "Pebble is overrated" category.  It has some great holes, but to me it also has plenty of lackluster holes.  It's probably a course that everyone should play once, and I think for many it's rated properly if that's the pinnacle for your golf travels.  If you're lucky enough to travel extensively to play golf, then it falls down the list quickly.  That said, I absolutely love being around pebble and 17 mile drive.

I played Winged Foot last summer and I left disappointed in the course.  It's a big hard championship golf course, but outside of the green complexes (which are really really good), I felt the course to be moderately uninteresting.  It was however in great shape, and the clubhouse and facilities are amazing.  But for the 250K joining fee, I'd spend my money elsewhere.  It wouldn't interest me enough to play there often.  

The joy of golf course architecture and course design is everyone is into something different.  It's subjective for the most part, so what may be underrated for one, may be overrated for someone else.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, eboettne said:

A hot take I have for a course that is overrated in my mind was Sand Valley.  I went into it expecting Bandon Dunes 2.0 and came away disappointed.  It didn't play as hard and fast(less linksy, was sucking my ball back on greens regularly), the greens weren't as interesting(felt like a lot of upside down saucers), and no ocean coming into play(spoiler alert). 

Maybe influenced by the fact that I visited SV before Bandon. Maybe influenced by the perfect Midwest summer weather. Maybe influenced by the knock in eagle from the fairway on #2 on Mammoth. But I couldn't disagree more, SV and Mammoth Dunes were just fantastic courses. 

Dove Mountain gets my vote for overrated.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

For me it was Kapalua, played it a year ago. Overrated and over priced. The views are pretty amazing, but the golf course not so much. My brother in-law and I got Covid there that day as there was an outbreak at Kapalua. We then proceeded to spread it to both our families. So just a great day all around!

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

17 minutes ago, hollabachgt said:

Chambers Bay and Tanglewood Park in Clemmons, NC

I'm a greensboro local so I disagree with Tanglewood simply on the basis of how inexpensive it it. Championship course for 60 dollars where the greens are always in great shape? Sign me up for that.  I will say it doesn't translate well to todays game.  Fairly short and no real super interesting hole.  It did however keep my attention for all 18.

2 hours ago, hollabachgt said:

1 hour ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I could google it but seems like you may have the answer already. What are the other 2 besides Bethpage and Torrey?

6 minutes ago, Drwoods2017 said:

I'm a greensboro local so I disagree with Tanglewood simply on the basis of how inexpensive it it. Championship course for 60 dollars where the greens are always in great shape? Sign me up for that.  I will say it doesn't translate well to todays game.  Fairly short and no real super interesting hole.  It did however keep my attention for all 18.

I was not saying Tanglewood was overrated, I was replying to the the question that beyond Torrey Pines and Bethpage, what were the other 2 municipal courses to host a major.

I heard Tanglewood was restored a few years ago, which is great news, but I've also heard that the county has allowed the $4m restoration to go to waste as the condition of the course has deteriorated rather dramatically, which is super unfortunately. At 7,100 yards the Championship course may no longer be Major Championship length, but I have a hard time seeing it being fairly short. 

5 minutes ago, hollabachgt said:

I was not saying Tanglewood was overrated, I was replying to the the question that beyond Torrey Pines and Bethpage, what were the other 2 municipal courses to host a major.

I heard Tanglewood was restored a few years ago, which is great news, but I've also heard that the county has allowed the $4m restoration to go to waste as the condition of the course has deteriorated rather dramatically, which is super unfortunately. At 7,100 yards the Championship course may no longer be Major Championship length, but I have a hard time seeing it being fairly short. 

Ah my mistake.  Yeah the renovation was nice but some of it has gone away.  They still do a great job with the greens but its a muni.

1 hour ago, ND2005 said:

Maybe influenced by the fact that I visited SV before Bandon. Maybe influenced by the perfect Midwest summer weather. Maybe influenced by the knock in eagle from the fairway on #2 on Mammoth. But I couldn't disagree more, SV and Mammoth Dunes were just fantastic courses. 

Yeah all that could definitely influence it. It's funny how people experience things differently.  I was expecting hard and fast out of Sand Valley and when it felt closer to other midwest courses I've played.  Don't get me wrong, I still had fun and enjoyed my time but it lacked the aura I felt in Bandon.  It was my own fault for expecting the same playing conditions in the middle of Wisconsin vs the Pacific Northwest. Plus, living in the midwest, I think I'm a sucker for playing golf along the ocean.

All that being said, I'm definitely planning to revisit my SV take when the Lido and Sedge Valley open up.

Edited by eboettne

27 minutes ago, Drwoods2017 said:

For my local NC people, it’s definitely Old Town. 

18 hours ago, DomJones said:

Pinehurst (played them all but #8, I assume it’s not any better)

I loved Pinehurst but, interestingly enough, I thought #8 was overrated. I didn't enjoy it much at all. We preferred #2, #4 and even #9 to it. (We didn't play #1, #6, #7). I know they are re-doing it but I have no desire to ever play that course again, especially the back 9. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1