2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Most Overrated Golf Courses I’ve Played

6 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I loved Pinehurst but, interestingly enough, I thought #8 was overrated. I didn't enjoy it much at all. We preferred #2, #4 and even #9 to it. (We didn't play #1, #6, #7). I know they are re-doing it but I have no desire to ever play that course again, especially the back 9. 

I won’t be back to Pinehurst. If I want a stay and play type deal I’ll just head to Bandon. 

6 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I loved Pinehurst but, interestingly enough, I thought #8 was overrated. I didn't enjoy it much at all. We preferred #2, #4 and even #9 to it. (We didn't play #1, #6, #7). I know they are re-doing it but I have no desire to ever play that course again, especially the back 9. 

#8 just felt like a standard Fazio country club layout that happens to be owned by Pinehurst

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

more fun course to play

That is an interesting part of all this. I found certain aspects of Harbour Town not fun to play but I think it is a cool golf course and super fun to watch the pros play it (because it is quite different than other stops). I don't think I would fork over the money to play it again but I also don't think I would say it is overrated. 

Also, this is a bit adjacent to the question but I think Kiawah as a golf destination is crazy overrated. The Ocean Course is amazing but the other courses are (while being in good condition) pretty unremarkable. Also Kiawah is ridiculously expensive. Cougar Point was a disgrace, you see the Kiawah river for two holes and the rest of it is basically any standard SC/Florida course with houses on both sides and OB everywhere. Osprey I can't remember more than maybe 2 holes out there. I don't think I would play turtle point again for more than $30. 

Edited by vandyfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

11 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I went to the Women’s US Open at Pine Needles last summer, and that looked like it would be a more fun course to play than #2.

I'll go out on a limb and agree with you. I've played both and really enjoyed Pine Needles. Similar to #2 but with more engaging topography. Obviously the greens on #2 are superior but the routing seemed repetitive. Dog log here, dog leg there, waste/native area along the sides. 

• Like 1

Delete

Edited by Mob

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

15 hours ago, Young Provolone said:

Harbour Town was far and away the most underwhelming/overpriced round of my life. TPC Scottsdale & Spyglass Hill are up there too.

I was underwhelmed by Spyglass as well.  But that's because I spent most of my time wandering the woods like a frustrated lumberjack without his ax, and seeing instead if he could chop down a tree if he hit enough golf balls at it...

It's not a course for beginners.  I've sworn I wouldn't return until I had a single-digit handicap.

Pebble, OTOH, is a blast no matter your skill level.  

1 hour ago, DomJones said:

This has 60 replies in like a day and people have rated it two stars. I hope it’s getting a low rating because I wasn’t clear on my parameters for judging courses and not a group of firemen who have been going to Pinehurst for the past 25 years who are mad that I dislike their golf Mecca. 

Those Firemen are probably very happy you won’t be back to Pinehurst, and for that reason alone, it deserves a high rating.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DomJones said:

Just wanted to make a running list of courses that disappointed. 

Pinehurst (played them all but #8, I assume it’s not any better)

Torrey Pines (North and South)

East Lake

Pebble Beach (and related courses)

Ohoopee

I've played each except East Lake and whatever Ohoopee is???  What do you base your opinion on?  Can you overpower those courses? 

Four of the courses you list are beautiful tour venues; but more germane, their layouts accommodate huge galleries, many infrastructure/vendor tents, lots of telecast equipment and facilities.  I've played golf in many states, and frequented some tour venues.  Most of the private courses I've played don't want tour events, due to the consequences that come with the events.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

38 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

This thread probably has 2 stars because you are an elitist who is only here to humblebrag about you enjoy Cypress, Seminole, Merion, Philly Cricket, and "all the Long Island courses".  I can only assume you mean NLGA, Shinnecock, and Sebonack.   Any more top 20 courses you want to brag about playing?

You then go on to belittle destinations that people save their whole lives to go.  Pebble, Pinehurst.  You describe them as a "waste of time" and a "dogtrack".  Come on dude.  Also, I am sure some police officers would like to have a word with you.  Very classy comment regarding them.

Oh, and in the other thread you said that all public and private golf in Atlanta is terrible and the architects suck, but you are cold calling $100k+ club looking for memberships. 

I will give you one thing, you know how to start a thread.

If you save your whole life to go to Pinehurst I offer my deepest condolences. At least if you go to Pinehurst at 60 the black mold from the clubhouse won’t kick in soon enough to kill you. My golf in Atlanta has already been sorted out and I’m surely not cheapening out and spending $100k to get into a ClubCorp pyramid scheme. As for the police officer comment I don’t know why I would be scared of a police officer for expressing my 1st amendment right. 

1 minute ago, DomJones said:

If you save your whole life to go to Pinehurst I offer my deepest condolences. At least if you go to Pinehurst at 60 the black mold from the clubhouse won’t kick in soon enough to kill you. My golf in Atlanta has already been sorted out and I’m surely not cheapening out and spending $100k to get into a ClubCorp pyramid scheme. As for the police officer comment I don’t know why I would be scared of a police officer for expressing my 1st amendment right. 

Washington Wizards Bruhh GIF by NBC Sports Washington

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I've played each except East Lake and whatever Ohoopee is???  What do you base your opinion on?  Can you overpower those courses? 

Four of the courses you list are beautiful tour venues; but more germane, their layouts accommodate huge galleries, many infrastructure/vendor tents, lots of telecast equipment and facilities.  I've played golf in many states, and frequented some tour venues.  Most of the private courses I've played don't want tour events, due to the consequences that come with the events.

I’m just saying I went in with expectations of the course being nice and was let down. I knew East Lake was going to be a boring round, but had an excellent caddie who kept me enthused. 

8 minutes ago, DomJones said:

I’m just saying I went in with expectations of the course being nice and was let down. I knew East Lake was going to be a boring round, but had an excellent caddie who kept me enthused. 

So you spend money on a round of golf you knew you would not enjoy? Starting to expect a troll account...

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Back on topic, Pinehurst #8. It’s not suppose to be a world beater by any means but Ive seen it pop up near the bottom of several top 100 public list and I don’t understand why.

Its a fine golf course but only has 3-4 good holes and the course can’t decide what it wants to be. With the exception of 3-4 holes it’s not sandy waste areas like the traditional Pinehurst courses, but Fazio still attempted to design greens with a ton of false fronts and run offs. 

It’s a decent course and I wouldn’t tell people to avoid it but I have no real desire to play it again. I can think of 10+ Indiana public courses and 10+ around Phoenix that are easily better. Rates highly because of the resort it’s associated with and price they charge is my guess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DomJones said:

East Lake is a corporate golf club and there’s a reason for it. 

Ya that makes sense.

31 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

It’s a decent course and I wouldn’t tell people to avoid it but I have no real desire to play it again. I can think of 10+ Indiana public courses and 10+ around Phoenix that are easily better. Rates highly because of the resort it’s associated with and price they charge is my guess. 

I think pretty much every course in phx is overrated (but that might be a price thing, which I get, not a rating thing). Like whisper rock is an awesome hang and the vibe is really great but the course is just good, but I don't think its a highly regarded golf course but rather a highly regarded golf club if that makes sense. 

Edited by knock it close
  • Like 1

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I'm very surprised several find Spyglass overrated, 18 isn't a great finishing hole for a highly rated track but I'd like to hear what holes are bad or even mediocre from those that think it's overrrated.

Not a bad hole on the front and although 11 was better with water in front of the green 18 only comes to mind. Maybe it's price?

3 hours ago, DomJones said:

I love Pinehurst. The history is amazing. #2 is a little underwhelming to me the way St Andrews was but if you walk around knowing who all has walked, played and won on the property, it really changes perspective. 

But #4 is an amazing golf course. I’ve played all over the world and that course stands up against any of them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jjr said:

I'm very surprised several find Spyglass overrated, 18 isn't a great finishing hole for a highly rated track but I'd like to hear what holes are bad or even mediocre from those that think it's overrrated.

Not a bad hole on the front and although 11 was better with water in front of the green 18 only comes to mind. Maybe it's price?

My problem with Spyglass is that you have two completely different golf courses on one property. The first 6 frame the ocean and then you go inland and never see it again. 

It’s kind of like Portstewart who has possibly the best front 9 in the world with its gigantic dunes framing everything only to discover the back 9 is mostly flat and dune less. 

1 hour ago, knock it close said:

Ya that makes sense.

I think pretty much every course in phx is overrated (but that might be a price thing, which I get, not a rating thing). Like whisper rock is an awesome hang and the vibe is really great but the course is just good, but I don't think its a highly regarded golf course but rather a highly regarded golf club if that makes sense. 

Yepp that makes sense. I agree with you about quality of PHX golf in general. I have only played a couple of private clubs but I don’t think their public options as a whole are fantastic. My point was more that #8 isn’t anything special, not that PHX has a ton of first rate public offerings. Don’t even get me started on their pricing! 

On 1/11/2023 at 3:50 PM, DomJones said:

Just wanted to make a running list of courses that disappointed. 

Pinehurst (played them all but #8, I assume it’s not any better)

Torrey Pines (North and South)

East Lake

Pebble Beach (and related courses)

Ohoopee

Dom,

I like your straight shooting style.  My nomination for overrated is LACC north. Now it’s a great, great course.  Don’t get me wrong.  But it’s more in the top 25 US range than 10 where it’s now being ranked.  My most underrated is Chambers Bay, the original design; back to which it should be restored.  Firm, fast, beautiful, strategic big boy course with a great set of par 4’s. 

• Like 1