Most Overrated Golf Courses I’ve Played

4 hours ago, jjr said:

I'm very surprised several find Spyglass overrated, 18 isn't a great finishing hole for a highly rated track but I'd like to hear what holes are bad or even mediocre from those that think it's overrrated.

Not a bad hole on the front and although 11 was better with water in front of the green 18 only comes to mind. Maybe it's price?

I played spyglass when I was not great at golf and didn’t know much about architecture and thought it was awesome at the time. Looking back on it the 4th green is absolutely Mickey mouse. The first 4-5 holes on the water are cool, but the rest of the course is pretty forgettable. As far as overrated goes Farmlinks was not worth $225.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, So_Cal said:

Dom,

I like your straight shooting style.  My nomination for overrated is LACC north. Now it’s a great, great course.  Don’t get me wrong.  But it’s more in the top 25 US range than 10 where it’s now being ranked.  My most underrated is Chambers Bay, the original design; back to which it should be restored.  Firm, fast, beautiful, strategic big boy course with a great set of par 4’s. 

I haven’t heard many bad comments about LACC so that’s a shame. I’ve never played it but have considered it, should I skip it? I play Riviera whenever I’m in town but would like to try some other local courses. I’ve heard mixed reviews of the public courses in the area are any of them worth trying?

45 minutes ago, DomJones said:

I haven’t heard many bad comments about LACC so that’s a shame. I’ve never played it but have considered it, should I skip it? I play Riviera whenever I’m in town but would like to try some other local courses. I’ve heard mixed reviews of the public courses in the area are any of them worth trying?

LACC is incredible, just not where it’s currently being ranked.  Bel Air is amazing if you can get access.  I’m a big fan of Rustic Canyon on the public side, but not everyone is.  I like width, strategy and fun greens.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bertsbogeys said:

In my opinion, Dye's Valley is a better track than The Stadium at Sawgrass. Sawgrass is 3 great finishing holes preceded by typical Florida golf

Hell yes. Sawgrass for $550 is an absolute robbery. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

17 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Yepp that makes sense. I agree with you about quality of PHX golf in general. I have only played a couple of private clubs but I don’t think their public options as a whole are fantastic. My point was more that #8 isn’t anything special, not that PHX has a ton of first rate public offerings. Don’t even get me started on their pricing! 

This reminds me of another overrated course I played in PHX.  Quintero was pumped up to be the best public course in PHX when I played it.  It had nice elevation change but didn't do much for me otherwise.  The routing is pretty crappy(loooong drives between tee boxes) and for my money I'd prefer to play Dinosaur Mountain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eboettne said:

This reminds me of another overrated course I played in PHX.  Quintero was pumped up to be the best public course in PHX when I played it.  It had nice elevation change but didn't do much for me otherwise.  The routing is pretty crappy(loooong drives between tee boxes) and for my money I'd prefer to play Dinosaur Mountain.

The thing about Quintero is it very appealing to probably the majority of golfers. It is all about the condition and views there. While i fully agree that the design could be much better, most people don't think like that. 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 12:43 PM, DomJones said:

What’re some of your favorite courses?

In no particular order:

Sunningdale (Old)

Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin)

Wentworth (West)

Alwoodley

Lindrick

Little Aston

Ferndown

Liphook

St Mellion (Nicklaus)

St Andrews (Old)

Turnberry (Ailsa)

Royal Troon

North Berwick

Prestwick

Lofoten Links

Royal County Down

Walton Heath (both)

Royal Melbourne (every hole on the property)

The most overrated 'great' course I've played is probably Seminole.

Edited by mat562
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

3 minutes ago, bertsbogeys said:

The public wishes it was still $550, you may find that price during the summer but during peak season (now), the price is upwards of $800. Absolutely ridiculous

And the TPC logo is atrocious. If I'm paying big bucks to play at least have a logo worthy of sunlight so I can buy some gear. 

• Haha 1

tough crowd; sawgrass is not over rated. It's over priced.  the more you play sawgrass, the better it gets.  

• Like 2

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

22 minutes ago, bertsbogeys said:

The public wishes it was still $550, you may find that price during the summer but during peak season (now), the price is upwards of $800. Absolutely ridiculous

Do they pay you $800 because that’s what it would take for me to play in that swamp?  😂

Great venue for the pros however 

22 hours ago, DomJones said:

I’m just saying I went in with expectations of the course being nice and was let down. I knew East Lake was going to be a boring round, but had an excellent caddie who kept me enthused. 

Sad, NO specifics as to why, just expectations and course being nice, led to a poo-poo thread.  Why did you know East Lake would be a boring round??? 

Regardless of a course's reputation, every course has periods where they are less than their shining TV best.  Before setting a tee time, you should have talked to the Pro shop, works for me. 

Because I call, I haven't been surprised be less than the best conditions at any course.  If you expected TV like conditions for high green fees, that's a recipe for disappointment.  NONE of the courses are kept in TV condition 365 days a year, regardless of their green fees.  Expectations and assumptions don't belong in golf because they are culprits behind lousy scoring and disappointment.

IMO, rating courses assumes "you" can over power it, regardless of condition, much like a touring pro.  If you can't, rating falls on deaf ears.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

2 minutes ago, Tummy Phleetwood said:

My treat I’ll purchase from my desk with fanatics cash

FC72A940-2B7E-4AC0-AAF9-79C80EC39EEC.png

This may be the one instance I say no to Sawgrass merch, let alone free Sawgrass merch. Can't be hitting the course looking like Curious George. That hat is UGLY

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, jerebear21 said:

tough crowd; sawgrass is not over rated. It's over priced.  the more you play sawgrass, the better it gets.  

To be fair, still one of the best courses in the state. And my original sentiment that The Valley is a better track. However, both courses are in absolutely immaculate condition nearly year round and the staff is friendly as ever. I just don't see myself paying that much for any round of golf ever. 

3 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Sad, NO specifics as to why, just expectations and course being nice, led to a poo-poo thread.  Why did you know East Lake would be a boring round??? 

Regardless of a course's reputation, every course has periods where they are less than their shining TV best.  Before setting a tee time, you should have talked to the Pro shop, works for me. 

Because I call, I haven't been surprised be less than the best conditions at any course.  If you expected TV like conditions for high green fees, that's a recipe for disappointment.  NONE of the courses are kept in TV condition 365 days a year, regardless of their green fees.  Expectations and assumptions don't belong in golf because they are culprits behind lousy scoring and disappointment.

I had to play East Lake for business and had heard from others it’s bland and they weren’t wrong. People call and annoy the pro shop before a round? It wasn’t a special day I’m not gonna bug the pro and ask how the conditions are. This thread popped off so good or bad comments it certainly wasn’t a poor thread. If my opinions upset you because you cared to play the courses or something they’re just my opinion it’s not that deep. Yeah a bad thread you can’t seem to leave. 

3 minutes ago, bertsbogeys said:

To be fair, still one of the best courses in the state. And my original sentiment that The Valley is a better track. However, both courses are in absolutely immaculate condition nearly year round and the staff is friendly as ever. I just don't see myself paying that much for any round of golf ever. 

how is valley a better track?  It's a better daily play(good conditions, cheaper on the wallet) but it's absolutely NOT a better track.  The back to back par 5 in the back 9 is fun, no doubt. Elevation and all, but the front 9 is above average at best.  

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

1 hour ago, mat562 said:

In no particular order:

Sunningdale (Old)

Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin)

Wentworth (West)

Alwoodley

Lindrick

Little Aston

Ferndown

Liphook

St Mellion (Nicklaus)

St Andrews (Old)

Turnberry (Ailsa)

Royal Troon

North Berwick

Prestwick

Lofoten Links

Royal County Down

Walton Heath (both)

Royal Melbourne (every hole on the property)

The most overrated 'great' course I've played is probably Seminole.

I agree with you on Royal County Down. It’s 8 holes of hitting your driver over a rock in the fairway. Too many blind shots to be rated that high. 

1 minute ago, DomJones said:

I had to play East Lake for business and had heard from others it’s bland and they weren’t wrong. People call and annoy the pro shop before a round? It wasn’t a special day I’m not gonna bug the pro and ask how the conditions are. This thread popped off so good or bad comments it certainly wasn’t a poor thread. If my opinions upset you because you cared to play the courses or something they’re just my opinion it’s not that deep. Yeah a bad thread you can’t seem to leave. 

You could have prevented your disappointment by calling the Proshop.  Least then when you showed up, and paid the high green fees, you wouldn't have the course to blame for your disappointment. 

Oh, I didn't say YOU are a bad person, or it was a bad thread, re-read what I wrote.  The topic is weak, meant to poo-poo courses.  LOL, and I don't get upset over what posters write; I leave that to immature youngsters that lack social skills.  Have a pleasant day.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

55 minutes ago, jerebear21 said:

how is valley a better track?  It's a better daily play(good conditions, cheaper on the wallet) but it's absolutely NOT a better track.  The back to back par 5 in the back 9 is fun, no doubt. Elevation and all, but the front 9 is above average at best.  

That may just be my opinion since I play Valley much more than Stadium. Definitely a better option for people not made of money but Sawgrass is nothing special to me. I think it gets most of it's prestige from The PLAYERS. Again, I don't hate the course at all, but it is definitely overrated and overpriced (in my opinion).

1 hour ago, jerebear21 said:

Not my preferred style of course but what Dye did with a flat piece of swamp land is amazing. 

I do think that’s one thing tough about playing some big named courses. A lot of people, myself included, usually only have the opportunity to play them once. I can’t attest to your comment about Sawgrass being that way, but many courses require more than 1 round to fully understand the subtleties and nuances. To me, Pinehurst 2 is a great example of this. It won’t wow you with views, and doesn’t have the postcard signature hole but it’s greatness is revealed a little more with each round. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Not my preferred style of course but what Dye did with a flat piece of swamp land is amazing. 

I do think that’s one thing tough about playing some big named courses. A lot of people, myself included, usually only have the opportunity to play them once. I can’t attest to your comment about Sawgrass being that way, but many courses require more than 1 round to fully understand the subtleties and nuances. To me, Pinehurst 2 is a great example of this. It won’t wow you with views, and doesn’t have the postcard signature hole but it’s greatness is revealed a little more with each round. 

Gonna try and get a bunch more rounds in this year at The Stadium. I guess I can't keep harping on it's overratedness if I have only played it twice. The last time I played there, I think a lot of compounding variables went into my disdain for the course. Horrible weather, mediocre caddying and definitely didn't play well. Maybe my tune will change after the summer season

On 1/12/2023 at 9:14 AM, ND2005 said:

When I played Harbour Town, the conditions were pretty pristine. Greens weren't PGA fast certainly, but course was in great shape. 

I just don't personally love HT because (a) it's not a great fit for my game. I had a lot of shots blocked off by trees because I didn't hit the right tight corridor for how the hole is meant to be played and (b) it has gotten stupid expensive. Neither of those are direct knocks on the architecture of the course. But I'm going back to HH this summer and have zero intent on trying to get back out on HT. 

Hilton Head does not have good golf courses.  Even the ones off the island (Belfair, Colleton River) are nothing special.  I have always been disappointed in the golf there.

Edited by KNOWMOREDOUBLES

40 minutes ago, bertsbogeys said:

Gonna try and get a bunch more rounds in this year at The Stadium. I guess I can't keep harping on it's overratedness if I have only played it twice. The last time I played there, I think a lot of compounding variables went into my disdain for the course. Horrible weather, mediocre caddying and definitely didn't play well. Maybe my tune will change after the summer season

and that usually can ruin the experience.  Because everyone playing there are expecting a pga tour like experience with amazing weather, conditions, amenities and caddies just like on tv. So anything less may lessen the experience. But as far as the nuance and strategy around the course, sawgrass is as good as any dye courses out there.  The last 3 holes there are imho the weakest at sawgrass. 

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x