Most Overrated Golf Courses I’ve Played

Two courses come to mind when I think of the most OVERRATED courses I have played.

#1 on my list has to be Erin Hills....wow...what a letdown and it would not even come close to cracking my top 10.  The course itself was just not interesting, the layout was just mehhh, the caddie I had was as bad as I have ever had and the experience left me wondering what the heck was great about Erin Hills.  The conditioning was also not much better than my local muni.  If I remember right I paid north of $300 about 5 years ago or so and I just dont get the excitement about this place.

#2 my list would have to be Blackwolf Run.....I just loved Whistling Straits but when I play Blackwolf Run it again made me wonder how the heck a course like this can be ranked so high.  The layout was just ok.....it seemed pretty stinking tough and nothing I would run to play again.  I did play it for like $70 so I cannot complain to much....but had I paid big money I would of been upset.  I will say the courses conditions were what you would expect.

I have learned that nothing beats Bandon Dunes and if your gonna pay cash to go on a trip just head to Bandon....it just that good.  I am lucky enough to be within a 4 hour drive of Whistling Straits, 6 hours from Sand Valley and 3-4 hours within Northern Michigan Golf....so If I am gonna pay big money its for Bandon....

I can say that all 5 Bandon courses are the best 5 courses I have ever played.....and I have played alot of great courses....Bandon just cannot be beat especially in the off season at $100 a round.  I know 2 people who have went on two different trips in the last month and got in and out on a 4-5 day trip for under $100....pretty amazing!

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

20 hours ago, So_Cal said:

My nomination for overrated is LACC north. Now it’s a great, great course.  Don’t get me wrong.  But it’s more in the top 25 US range than 10

There's not a lot of difference between 10 and 25 in any ranking. That could result from the score given by one or two raters. LACC North after the Hanse reno is an undeniably great course. I'd have a hard time calling it over-rated. There are many more courses identified in this thread that are really over rated

2 hours ago, BG5 said:

Two courses come to mind when I think of the most OVERRATED courses I have played.

#1 on my list has to be Erin Hills....wow...what a letdown and it would not even come close to cracking my top 10.  The course itself was just not interesting, the layout was just mehhh, the caddie I had was as bad as I have ever had and the experience left me wondering what the heck was great about Erin Hills.  The conditioning was also not much better than my local muni.  If I remember right I paid north of $300 about 5 years ago or so and I just dont get the excitement about this place.

#2 my list would have to be Blackwolf Run.....I just loved Whistling Straits but when I play Blackwolf Run it again made me wonder how the heck a course like this can be ranked so high.  The layout was just ok.....it seemed pretty stinking tough and nothing I would run to play again.  I did play it for like $70 so I cannot complain to much....but had I paid big money I would of been upset.  I will say the courses conditions were what you would expect.

I have learned that nothing beats Bandon Dunes and if your gonna pay cash to go on a trip just head to Bandon....it just that good.  I am lucky enough to be within a 4 hour drive of Whistling Straits, 6 hours from Sand Valley and 3-4 hours within Northern Michigan Golf....so If I am gonna pay big money its for Bandon....

I can say that all 5 Bandon courses are the best 5 courses I have ever played.....and I have played alot of great courses....Bandon just cannot be beat especially in the off season at $100 a round.  I know 2 people who have went on two different trips in the last month and got in and out on a 4-5 day trip for under $100....pretty amazing!

Woah now Erin Hills might be my favorite course I’ve ever played. Part of that might be the place as a whole like the lodging and what not. I just felt the whole thing was top notch with the hospitality. Could have been the many spotted cows I consumed though. That’s the cool thing about golf though people have different preferences for courses. I played in the summer of 2019 and couldn’t wait to play again. I’ve got a whole group going in May. 

Edited by Drwoods2017

1 hour ago, sabram said:

There's not a lot of difference between 10 and 25 in any ranking. That could result from the score given by one or two raters. LACC North after the Hanse reno is an undeniably great course. I'd have a hard time calling it over-rated. There are many more courses identified in this thread that are really over rated

Don’t disagree with you at all. Just think it’s not quite 10th in the country.  Still a great track. 

Bandon Trails for me. Don’t get me wrong Trails is a really great course but I don’t understand why so many people have it as the best at the resort.

also Dom, I’m curious what you didn’t like about Ohoopee? I’ve never been but it looks awesome and I’ve heard a lot of great things

Edited by CBraynor

11 hours ago, CBraynor said:

Bandon Trails for me. Don’t get me wrong Trails is a really great course but I don’t understand why so many people have it as the best at the resort.

Trails is not my favorite at the resort either, but I'm an outlier myself as I like Old Mac the most. I agree that Trails "is a really great course" (and I don't use "great" to describe very many golf courses.) Because of that, I wouldn't say Trails is over-rated.  The courses that I think are over-rated are the ones that are on a "best of" or "top 100" list that have no business being anywhere on the list rather than the ones where reasonable people might quibble about where they should be on the list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok, I’ll bite too…how in the world did you get to play Cypress & Seminole?

Seminole refused Jack Nicklaus as a member!!  And the joke about Cypress is that one year they had a Member Run - they ran off 10 members 😂

Please share your secrets so that I and my fellow WRXers may join in on the fun!

My set-up:
Bag - Flex Tech Crossover
Driver - Ping G430 MAX with HZRDUS Black Smoke

3 Wood - Ping G430

Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 Hybrid
Irons - Cobra King Tour irons

Wedges - Ping Glide 4  50* / 54* / 58*
Putter - Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
Shoes - Ecco Hybrid
Ball - Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, TK3 said:

Ok, I’ll bite too…how in the world did you get to play Cypress & Seminole?

Seminole refused Jack Nicklaus as a member!!  And the joke about Cypress is that one year they had a Member Run - they ran off 10 members 😂

Please share your secrets so that I and my fellow WRXers may join in on the fun!

Haven’t played either, or others at that level, but it’s all about who you know. In most decent sized metro areas there is a prestigious well known top 100 golf course that isn't next level exclusive. Yes, they may be expensive and require a handful of letters from current members but they’re still somewhat attainable for people with money. If you’re a member at Valhalla, Crooked Stick, Inverness, Muirfield, etc, most likely there are guys at your club that are members at other prestigious/elite clubs. Guys at top end clubs just have connections like that. Business associates, friends from college, family members, etc. When you get to a high enough level club, a lot of times a call from your head pro will go a long way too. 

I know pretty normal guys at clubs like those above who have recently played Augusta, Fishers, LACC, Pine Valley, Cyprus, and Sebonack. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4

4 hours ago, sabram said:

Trails is not my favorite at the resort either, but I'm an outlier myself as I like Old Mac the most. I agree that Trails "is a really great course" (and I don't use "great" to describe very many golf courses.) Because of that, I wouldn't say Trails is over-rated.  The courses that I think are over-rated are the ones that are on a "best of" or "top 100" list that have no business being anywhere on the list rather than the ones where reasonable people might quibble about where they should be on the list.

I think Trails is a victim of the surrounding courses. It’s a really strong design, but just gets overshadowed by the other courses. It’s a better course than many “ranked” above it that aren’t on the Bandon property imho.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

I think Trails is a victim of the surrounding courses. It’s a really strong design, but just gets overshadowed by the other courses. It’s a better course than many “ranked” above it that aren’t on the Bandon property imho.

It only falls victim to the fact that the other courses are ocean side. As a pure golf course Trails is better than all but maybe Pacific Dunes IMO

On 1/12/2023 at 5:51 AM, Chilidog said:

I have to jump in here on a couple of these in this thread and comment. I also agree that Torrey South is overrated. It is basically 18 straight golf holes outside of 1 hole that turns 20 degrees. The only thing that makes that course is the views. They just made a long golf course with small greens, narrow fairways and decent rough. Drop that course in Iowa and it doesn’t make the state’s top 10. I guess it’s great if you just like hitting to straight holes all day. 

Yeah I didn't say it wasn't "overrated". I was responding to the statement that it "sucks" and asking for specifics. 

I agree the holes are fairly straight, but the bunker placement makes the tee shots challenging for me. And there are a number of blind shots, it's not boring.

Since when are (lack of) doglegs the determination of a good course? 

It is quite undulating and slopey. You can’t even see where your tee shot ends up on most of the par 4s and 5s.

It may get overrated by some, since it's a US Open venue, but that doesn't mean it sucks. It's still one of the best golf courses in San Diego county, imo. 

This is not a bad downhill par 3:

Torrey-Pines-Course-South-Hole-3ps-scaled-e1654799398788.jpg

Edited by straightshot7
  • Like 1

Spyglass’ price makes it overrated but my goodness I could play it everyday and not be disappointed

the fact it’s 2 completely different courses makes it that much more charming and without its expensive sibling down the road would be an incredible test for a major. They could firm those greens up and 5 over wins. 

• Like 1

I think there are two categories: Overrated or Overpriced. 

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Ill throw another one to the list....Oakland Hills South was not that impressive...surprised it got to host a Ryder Cup and it was just awarded 2 more U.S. opens.....the course itself reminded me of a dog track 😞

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

And that’s why it’s great to have different opinions.  Personally think Erin hills is top 5 favorite to play.  Lots of personality, variety and shot value.  Great land movement.  Whereas Whistling Straits is just a bunch of bunkers to visually distract you from the lake and the wind. 

• Like 3

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

4 hours ago, jerebear21 said:

And that’s why it’s great to have different opinions.  Personally think Erin hills is top 5 favorite to play.  Lots of personality, variety and shot value.  Great land movement.  Whereas Whistling Straits is just a bunch of bunkers to visually distract you from the lake and the wind. 

I agree. I love Erin Hills. It also feels like a major course, just massive. Wish they would get another chance (wish Chambers would too). It is too bad they probably won't get a US Open and the PGA Champ is too cold for Wisconsin now.

I played Harbor Town many years ago, and the finishing holes were good, but the rest of the course looked like it could have been any Myrtle Beach course. We will be going to HHI for vacation, and the fees are $470 at the time we will be there. I wouldn’t pay more than $150 to play that course, and that’s just because it’s at the beach.

3 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I played Harbor Town many years ago, and the finishing holes were good, but the rest of the course looked like it could have been any Myrtle Beach course. We will be going to HHI for vacation, and the fees are $470 at the time we will be there. I wouldn’t pay more than $150 to play that course, and that’s just because it’s at the beach.

Where is this price tag at? 

On 1/13/2023 at 9:07 PM, CBraynor said:

also Dom, I’m curious what you didn’t like about Ohoopee? I’ve never been but it looks awesome and I’ve heard a lot of great things

For me Trails is great because of a feeling more than anything, I just remember walking from the 3rd green to the 4th tee and just laughing and telling my buddy this is so cool.  The round feels like an adventure.  On top of that it's so secluded it's peaceful especially at their "amen corner" of holes 11-13(probably my favorite spot on any course I've every played). It's links-style golf in the woods.  How many other courses can say that?

Lastly you go through dunescape, meadows and heavy forest all in one round and there's interesting elevation changes that allows the ball to play along the ground. 

All this being said, it you're not on your game I understand how it could beat you up and make it tougher to appreciate.   

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 3:13 PM, BG5 said:

Ill throw another one to the list....Oakland Hills South was not that impressive...surprised it got to host a Ryder Cup and it was just awarded 2 more U.S. opens.....the course itself reminded me of a dog track 😞

Yeah, but have you played it since the Gil Hanse restoration?  Pre-restoration, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you on the overrated part, other than the fact that the green complexes were outstanding.  However, since the Hanse restoration the course is definitely not overrated.

4 hours ago, eboettne said:

For me Trails is great because of a feeling more than anything, I just remember walking from the 3rd green to the 4th tee and just laughing and telling my buddy this is so cool.  The round feels like an adventure.  On top of that it's so secluded it's peaceful especially at their "amen corner" of holes 11-13(probably my favorite spot on any course I've every played). It's links-style golf in the woods.  How many other courses can say that?

Lastly you go through dunescape, meadows and heavy forest all in one round and there's interesting elevation changes that allows the ball to play along the ground. 

All this being said, it you're not on your game I understand how it could beat you up and make it tougher to appreciate.   

The only courses mentioned in this entire thread that I've played are the Bandon courses, so I had to wait a bit for someone to bring up either Trails or Old Mac, or both. Personally, I love playing Trails because of the distinct zones you mention. I guess what I'm getting at is I don't think I've played an overrated golf course.

1 hour ago, 503Mike said:

The only courses mentioned in this entire thread that I've played are the Bandon courses, so I had to wait a bit for someone to bring up either Trails or Old Mac, or both. Personally, I love playing Trails because of the distinct zones you mention. I guess what I'm getting at is I don't think I've played an overrated golf course.

I strongly dislike Old Mac the first time I played it.  The 2nd time I played it I started to really like it(coincidentally after understanding where NOT to miss).  Playing it for a 3rd time in a month and I'm sure I'll appreciate it even more.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 1:47 PM, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

I was underwhelmed by Spyglass as well.  But that's because I spent most of my time wandering the woods like a frustrated lumberjack without his ax, and seeing instead if he could chop down a tree if he hit enough golf balls at it...

It's not a course for beginners.  I've sworn I wouldn't return until I had a single-digit handicap.

Pebble, OTOH, is a blast no matter your skill level.  

Just got back from a Pebble trip. Mind you, we had to deal with some rainy days, but I too found Spyglass to be lackluster. First few holes are nice but then it goes into the woods and gets sorta boring. I much preferred Spanish Bay, almost on an equal level to Pebble, which we played twice..  That star power and history of great golf moments gives Pebble the edge over Spanish. That, and my lowest round of the trip was shot there, so that helps. lol If go back on my Duke's membership this year again, I will hit SB, then try Pasa and Poppy. My wife loved the Inn @ SB. 

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max @ 10* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 58/6 (Modus3 115 - S, 1* flat) 

Eleven Tour Lined - '24 BX

1 hour ago, wolverine_man said:

Just got back from a Pebble trip. Mind you, we had to deal with some rainy days, but I too found Spyglass to be lackluster. First few holes are nice but then it goes into the woods and gets sorta boring. I much preferred Spanish Bay, almost on an equal level to Pebble, which we played twice..  That star power and history of great golf moments gives Pebble the edge over Spanish. That, and my lowest round of the trip was shot there, so that helps. lol If go back on my Duke's membership this year again, I will hit SB, then try Pasa and Poppy. My wife loved the Inn @ SB. 

It was a lovely property when I worked there, many many moons ago.  Albeit I still don't see how it was Conde Nast's favorite resort anywhere, one year.  We were Good, but we weren't R-C "Have a notebook so you can write down your guest's preferences, and make sure their room has them," Good.  Beautiful piece of land though.  Definitely (unless they changed the numbering) get an even numbered room, second digit a "5".  That sticks you on the Northern wing, facing the ocean.  Better views IMHO.

Still not the Lodge, but we tried.

• Like 1