2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Most Overrated Golf Courses I’ve Played

1 hour ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

It was a lovely property when I worked there, many many moons ago.  Albeit I still don't see how it was Conde Nast's favorite resort anywhere, one year.  We were Good, but we weren't R-C "Have a notebook so you can write down your guest's preferences, and make sure their room has them," Good.  Beautiful piece of land though.  Definitely (unless they changed the numbering) get an even numbered room, second digit a "5".  That sticks you on the Northern wing, facing the ocean.  Better views IMHO.

Still not the Lodge, but we tried.

We were an even numbered room on the second floor, second digit was "0". Trees, and a partial ocean view. Not too bad for having reserved a "Garden View", a/k/a parking lot view. 

2145C798-D360-40D2-8634-07173E90598E.jpeg

Edited by wolverine_man
Added pic
  • Like 2

Rogue ST Max @ 10* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

HLX 3.0 54/12, 59/7 (Modus3 115 - S, 1* flat) 

Queen B #6 - Chrome Tour X 

On 1/14/2023 at 4:12 PM, straightshot7 said:

Yeah I didn't say it wasn't "overrated". I was responding to the statement that it "sucks" and asking for specifics. 

I agree the holes are fairly straight, but the bunker placement makes the tee shots challenging for me. And there are a number of blind shots, it's not boring.

Since when are (lack of) doglegs the determination of a good course? 

It is quite undulating and slopey. You can’t even see where your tee shot ends up on most of the par 4s and 5s.

It may get overrated by some, since it's a US Open venue, but that doesn't mean it sucks. It's still one of the best golf courses in San Diego county, imo. 

This is not a bad downhill par 3:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/610045b6f775786869a4f03bbc6ea866d3e558421809bdcec86344355da3a40c/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/610045b6f775786869a4f03bbc6ea866d3e558421809bdcec86344355da3a40c/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/Torrey-Pines-Course-South-Hole-3ps-scaled-e1654799398788.jpg.09cb69435d29cd51f649bc4bf6d61b0c.jpg

I wouldn’t say the course is undulating. If I was picking a course in San Diego, I’m picking Maderas 10/10 times over Torrey. Just more visually interesting and a more fun golf course. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 8:32 AM, bertsbogeys said:

In my opinion, Dye's Valley is a better track than The Stadium at Sawgrass. Sawgrass is 3 great finishing holes preceded by typical Florida golf

Dyes Valley , was in bad shape when I played it , overwatered, forecaddy repeatedly said, “aim right” on tee shots.  Night and day vs TPC the previous day.  

• Sad 1

Torrey and East Lake were disappointments for me as well.  They weren't bad, but certainly didn't live up to expectations.  I didn't enjoy the green complexes at Torrey due to the conditions and contours and just felt like they could have designed a far better course than what they had.  

East Lake was mostly just ridiculously long.  If I was generating 180+ mph ball speed and could get a little wonky with the driver, I'd probably enjoy it more, but the main point of difficulty on the course was just having to hit it far, time and time again.

Never got to play Harbour Town, but when I look at it on Google Earth and Shot Tracker and come away unimpressed by it.  But virtually everybody I ever talked to about it, including Tour pros, they love the place.  My guess is that it's more about the Harbour Town/Hilton Head area itself than the actual golf.

Heard a lot of people complain about Pebble Beach.  When I used to work at Caledonia back in the 90's, I would routinely hear people say that Caledonia was a far better experience than Pebble Beach.  However my dream is to play Pebble with my dad because he has always said that if he was in the area and could grab a $600 round of golf there he would because you only live once.  This is the most foreign thing my dad has ever said to me, to the point where I had to check to see if he was having a stroke when he said it.

Baltusrol was vastly overrated and by the same toke I felt the same way about Somerset Hills.  I liked Somerset Hills, but it didn't feel like a top-100 course in the world.  I'd rather play World Woods - Pine Barrens when it's in good shape.

RH

On 1/13/2023 at 9:28 AM, So_Cal said:

LACC is incredible, just not where it’s currently being ranked.  Bel Air is amazing if you can get access.  I’m a big fan of Rustic Canyon on the public side, but not everyone is.  I like width, strategy and fun greens.  

I second Bel-Air.  I really enjoyed Wilshire, a lot.  Most of the big name private clubs in LA I really enjoy.

Rustic Canyon is something I can play once in a while.  Relies a lot on the wind for difficulty and the greens are a little too tricked up for my tastes.  If I played it more than 1x a month, that would really get bland for me.

RH

12 minutes ago, RichieHunt said:

I second Bel-Air.  I really enjoyed Wilshire, a lot.  Most of the big name private clubs in LA I really enjoy.

Rustic Canyon is something I can play once in a while.  Relies a lot on the wind for difficulty and the greens are a little too tricked up for my tastes.  If I played it more than 1x a month, that would really get bland for me.

RH

LA has some nice privates for sure.  With the pace of play at Rustic (and most all publics around here) I’m glad it’s not any harder.  Some days it comes easy there and then some it’s very difficult.  Wish it were still super firm and fast like the old days.  Still firmer than 98% of US courses 

22 minutes ago, RichieHunt said:

Torrey and East Lake were disappointments for me as well.  They weren't bad, but certainly didn't live up to expectations.  I didn't enjoy the green complexes at Torrey due to the conditions and contours and just felt like they could have designed a far better course than what they had.  

East Lake was mostly just ridiculously long.  If I was generating 180+ mph ball speed and could get a little wonky with the driver, I'd probably enjoy it more, but the main point of difficulty on the course was just having to hit it far, time and time again.

Never got to play Harbour Town, but when I look at it on Google Earth and Shot Tracker and come away unimpressed by it.  But virtually everybody I ever talked to about it, including Tour pros, they love the place.  My guess is that it's more about the Harbour Town/Hilton Head area itself than the actual golf.

Heard a lot of people complain about Pebble Beach.  When I used to work at Caledonia back in the 90's, I would routinely hear people say that Caledonia was a far better experience than Pebble Beach.  However my dream is to play Pebble with my dad because he has always said that if he was in the area and could grab a $600 round of golf there he would because you only live once.  This is the most foreign thing my dad has ever said to me, to the point where I had to check to see if he was having a stroke when he said it.

Baltusrol was vastly overrated and by the same toke I felt the same way about Somerset Hills.  I liked Somerset Hills, but it didn't feel like a top-100 course in the world.  I'd rather play World Woods - Pine Barrens when it's in good shape.

RH

Now that’s a hot take - Pine Barrens over SH.  Love it 

33 minutes ago, doglegs said:

I'm guessing all the Harbour Town hate stems from the cost.  Its a course unlike any with one of the best collection of par 3's you will find. Always in pristine shape as well.  

Disclosure, haven’t played it. Not saying it’s over or underrated. 

I caddy at a top 100 type place and always like to ask members and guest about recent trips and rounds of golf. Whenever Harbor Town is brought up the answers are usually all over the board. I don’t know them all intimately but I know the large majority of the guys I ask about the course have absolutely zero issues with the cost. 

A lot of the complaints I hear about HT are because it goes against everything modern golf design has become. Instead of angles and short grass, HT is narrow shoots and overhanging trees. At times it turns into target golf. Instead of providing multiple recovery options, many of the holes are due or die. Much of the course seems to be surrounded by homes and condos. I get this doesn’t take away from the course but it can impact the overall experience. I’m a huge Dye fan, but many of his par 3s get a bit repetitive and formulaic if you are familiar with a lot of his work. (HT was one of his earlier designs so I’m not necessarily saying those holes are reproductions of his others.)

I would like to play it, but it’s not near the top half of my want list. 

4 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Disclosure, haven’t played it. Not saying it’s over or underrated. 

I caddy at a top 100 type place and always like to ask members and guest about recent trips and rounds of golf. Whenever Harbor Town is brought up the answers are usually all over the board. I don’t know them all intimately but I know the large majority of the guys I ask about the course have absolutely zero issues with the cost. 

A lot of the complaints I hear about HT are because it goes against everything modern golf design has become. Instead of angles and short grass, HT is narrow shoots and overhanging trees. At times it turns into target golf. Instead of providing multiple recovery options, many of the holes are due or die. Much of the course seems to be surrounded by homes and condos. I get this doesn’t take away from the course but it can impact the overall experience. I’m a huge Dye fan, but many of his par 3s get a bit repetitive and formulaic if you are familiar with a lot of his work. (HT was one of his earlier designs so I’m not necessarily saying those holes are reproductions of his others.)

I would like to play it, but it’s not near the top half of my want list. 

Played it a couple times and it's definitely more of a course where you have to consider your next shot. Middle of the fairway might be a terrible place to be in some cases (you get that right out of the gate with the first hole). I would agree it falls more in the over priced than overrated though.  There's something to be said for a course that makes you actually think through a round of golf instead of getting up there and just wailing away. But as you said that's not really what modern golf is about.

52 minutes ago, doglegs said:

I'm guessing all the Harbour Town hate stems from the cost.  Its a course unlike any with one of the best collection of par 3's you will find. Always in pristine shape as well.  

The cost is a lot, and I’ve played other courses with very good par 3s. It’s a good course, but a lot of is between houses on both sides of the fairway. Except for the last few holes, not visually appealing. I played it years ago for &150, and thought I overpaid then, and my opinion hasn’t changed. I don’t hate it, but I have a couple Dye courses within 30 minutes from my house that are good courses, and close to a tenth of Harbor Town’s prime time cost. I wouldn’t mind playing it again, but with fore caddy and tip, one round there would be more than $100 higher than my monthly dues at home.

15 hours ago, st1800e said:

Dyes Valley , was in bad shape when I played it , overwatered, forecaddy repeatedly said, “aim right” on tee shots.  Night and day vs TPC the previous day.  

I would expect Stadium to be in better shape simply because Valley gets much more play. Sucks to hear it was in bad shape when you played it. Forecaddies and caddies at Sawgrass are a massive waste of coin in my opinion. Most of them are not experienced loopers and are just out there for the benefits. It has been in wonderful shape since peak season began imo

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

The cost is a lot, and I’ve played other courses with very good par 3s. It’s a good course, but a lot of is between houses on both sides of the fairway. Except for the last few holes, not visually appealing. I played it years ago for &150, and thought I overpaid then, and my opinion hasn’t changed. I don’t hate it, but I have a couple Dye courses within 30 minutes from my house that are good courses, and close to a tenth of Harbor Town’s prime time cost. I wouldn’t mind playing it again, but with fore caddy and tip, one round there would be more than $100 higher than my monthly dues at home.

What dye courses are you talking about? 

Edited by Drwoods2017

1 hour ago, knock it close said:

Side note the leaked pics from the cabot renovation at the course formerly known as world of woods looks sick

From the renderings it looks like they tried too hard.  Looks unnatural.  Of course I need to see it in person.  Really enjoyed the original Fazio and wouldn’t have minded a restoration.  Just got a little rough around the collars at the end.  

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

Oak Hollow in High Point, and The Cardinal in Greensboro. I’m pretty sure The Cardinal is now known as Sedgefield- Dye Course, and is a reasonably priced semi private. 

I was just curious because the Cardinal to me is fantastic.  It's still the cardinal, they tried to change the name but it never stuck so they kept it as the Cardinal.  I'm a sedgefield member so I only pay 20 dollars to play there but even peak season I think it's only 70 which is crazy.  The just got done redoing all the bunkering as well with new sand.  Definitely a steal for the quality.  Never made it to Oak Hollow but its only 15 minutes from me so maybe I'll have to give it a go.

26 minutes ago, Drwoods2017 said:

I was just curious because the Cardinal to me is fantastic.  It's still the cardinal, they tried to change the name but it never stuck so they kept it as the Cardinal.  I'm a sedgefield member so I only pay 20 dollars to play there but even peak season I think it's only 70 which is crazy.  The just got done redoing all the bunkering as well with new sand.  Definitely a steal for the quality.  Never made it to Oak Hollow but its only 15 minutes from me so maybe I'll have to give it a go.

Oak Hollow is a real good layout, but it’s not close to the conditions at Sedgefield or the Cardinal. It’s not bad, but it is a muni. The last time there, we played the back tees. The front is pretty short, but the back kicked our behinds. Much like the Cardinal, if you miss the green, you are left with some very challenging chips. Also, if you walk, the front is fairly easy, and the back has some good hills. Some nice holes along Oak Hollow Lake. Also, I have played Sedgefield several times, and I have no idea how the pros score so low. My handicap would be a lot different if I was a member there.

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Oak Hollow is a real good layout, but it’s not close to the conditions at Sedgefield or the Cardinal. It’s not bad, but it is a muni. The last time there, we played the back tees. The front is pretty short, but the back kicked our behinds. Much like the Cardinal, if you miss the green, you are left with some very challenging chips. Also, if you walk, the front is fairly easy, and the back has some good hills. Some nice holes along Oak Hollow Lake. Also, I have played Sedgefield several times, and I have no idea how the pros score so low. My handicap would be a lot different if I was a member there.

My handicap goes up about 3 points every year after the rough starts to grow lol. The greens are absolutely killer. 9 times out of 10 it’s better to lay up just short of them then it is to be on them. I’ll never understand how they get to 20-25 under for the tournament but that’s why they make the big bucks. 

• Like 1

Overrated. Both Troon North courses in Scottsdale. Do not understand the hype and why people pay the insane rates they do there.

Underrated. Pasatiempo. If you've played it you know, if you havent then get out to Santa Cruz. 

Also the hot takes on Pebble being overrated are silly. Not one bad hole and cant beat the setting. Would be nice to have Cypress, Seminole, NGLA, Merion as casual drop in rounds though.

Heres a couple thoughts i have.

overrated

tobacco road - Course just wasnt enjoyable. Its weird its wonky. Has some cool views but dont really have a desire to play again.  

torrey pines - ok course. Was enjoyable but way over-hyped for what it is

underrated

Pine needles - just a great all around golf course and tons of fun

chambers bay - i had an exceptional time when i played there about a year prior to the open.  Course was fun and interesting. Enjoyed the layout. 

additional thoughts. 
never played #2. But have played 4 and 8.  8 was different than 4.  Didnt think i was at pinehurst.  But i thought #4 was exceptional.  Would be interested how it compares to 2.  But man 700 for a round is crazy.

i have heard from plenty that harbor town is blah. 

On 1/20/2023 at 8:41 AM, st1800e said:

RCD tops my list, played it 3 x and will again in a few months.  

On 1/19/2023 at 10:43 PM, So_Cal said:

I hear what he’s saying but there just aren’t that many courses better than RCD.  If someone says more than 10 they lose credibility with me.  It’s that good. 

I guess I shall lose credibility then.  I can't put it top 10 or really all that close.   It is beautiful - obviously.  There are a few very good holes.  But overall the gorse is just too present on too many holes... meaning in any sort of wind (which is nearly always) it's just too difficult.  Where is the fun losing a ball - or killing yourself searching for such - hole after hole after hole?  It's an interesting thing for me.  First time playing, I was ready to call it best in the world.  I had a great ball-striking day and didn't see the issue.  After that... each subsequent play made me enjoy it less and less, as reality crept in.  🙂

To each his own, as always.  Just if I go back to Ireland - and as I am getting old, I may or may not - I will FOR SURE play Ardglass multiple times.  That course is just plain fun start to finish.  I'll give RCD another try... have to... but I won't make it a huge priority.

Ohio State University Golf Club (Scarlet) - Not a fan. at all.

Torrey Pines (south) - The iconic par 3 is cool - but honestly the downhiller on north is cooler I think (north was more scenic to me IMO)

TPC Scottsdale - (15 and 17 were fun....the rest of the course is just "meh" compared to the other public options in the area)

15 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

I guess I shall lose credibility then.  I can't put it top 10 or really all that close.   It is beautiful - obviously.  There are a few very good holes.  But overall the gorse is just too present on too many holes... meaning in any sort of wind (which is nearly always) it's just too difficult.  Where is the fun losing a ball - or killing yourself searching for such - hole after hole after hole?  It's an interesting thing for me.  First time playing, I was ready to call it best in the world.  I had a great ball-striking day and didn't see the issue.  After that... each subsequent play made me enjoy it less and less, as reality crept in.  🙂

To each his own, as always.  Just if I go back to Ireland - and as I am getting old, I may or may not - I will FOR SURE play Ardglass multiple times.  That course is just plain fun start to finish.  I'll give RCD another try... have to... but I won't make it a huge priority.

Fair enough. I hear what you’re saying 

5 hours ago, jjtour said:

Overrated. Both Troon North courses in Scottsdale. Do not understand the hype and why people pay the insane rates they do there.

Underrated. Pasatiempo. If you've played it you know, if you havent then get out to Santa Cruz. 

Also the hot takes on Pebble being overrated are silly. Not one bad hole and cant beat the setting. Would be nice to have Cypress, Seminole, NGLA, Merion as casual drop in rounds though.

I absolutely love both courses there - the rock outcroppings and backdrops are crazy. Monument's front 9 is fairly bland, but pinnacle and the back of Monument are awesome IMO. Have played both for $40 if you dont mind a sweat lol.