Most Overrated Golf Courses I’ve Played

@jjtour regarding troon north being overrated, it’s not actually rated all that highly though is it? I mean most rankings I see have it top 4-8 public courses in the PHX metro area. Do you think it’s worse than that or are you just saying it didn’t blow you away? Disregard price. That has nothing to do with the golf course itself. 

I don’t know if I agree, but the idea that Pebble may be overrated isn’t unheard of. To be a top 10 course in the US it’s not enough just to have no bad holes. Every hole needs to be good. I would also argue that there are several not very good holes on the back 9. Now, does the all world stretch of 4-10 make up for it? Very possibly, but that stretch of 11-16 leaves a lot to be desired. I would classify 11, 13, and 15 as not good holes. 

@Mullenboy I had a similar discussion with a group of buddies recently when discussing our personal course ratings. Pinehurst #2 was my example. It’s a world class golf course, no questions asked, and the best I’ve played by a decent margin. However, when ranking it based on which course I would prefer to play every day it was 3-4 on my list. The greens are too taxing for me to want to play it 3-4 times a week. This sounds a bit like what you’re describing with RCD?

12 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

@jjtour regarding troon north being overrated, it’s not actually rated all that highly though is it? I mean most rankings I see have it top 4-8 public courses in the PHX metro area. Do you think it’s worse than that or are you just saying it didn’t blow you away? Disregard price. That has nothing to do with the golf course itself. 

I don’t know if I agree, but the idea that Pebble may be overrated isn’t unheard of. To be a top 10 course in the US it’s not enough just to have no bad holes. Every hole needs to be good. I would also argue that there are several not very good holes on the back 9. Now, does the all world stretch of 4-10 make up for it? Very possibly, but that stretch of 11-16 leaves a lot to be desired. I would classify 11, 13, and 15 as not good holes. 

@Mullenboy I had a similar discussion with a group of buddies recently when discussing our personal course ratings. Pinehurst #2 was my example. It’s a world class golf course, no questions asked, and the best I’ve played by a decent margin. However, when ranking it based on which course I would prefer to play every day it was 3-4 on my list. The greens are too taxing for me to want to play it 3-4 times a week. This sounds a bit like what you’re describing with RCD?

Hi - yes but the greens are FANTASTIC at RCD.  The issue there is that there is very thick gorse on nearly every hole...on most very close in. Gorse is a thicket... bush... one does not hit the ball out of it.  So the result is too many lost balls, or unplayable lies if the ball can be found.  To me this is not fun, and that takes away from the greatness of RCD.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I had a similar discussion with a group of buddies recently when discussing our personal course ratings. Pinehurst #2 was my example. It’s a world class golf course, no questions asked, and the best I’ve played by a decent margin. However, when ranking it based on which course I would prefer to play every day it was 3-4 on my list. The greens are too taxing for me to want to play it 3-4 times a week. This sounds a bit like what you’re describing with RCD?

I agree with this. Architecturally I can appreciate a lot of Pinehurst #2 and from a pure rankings standpoint it belongs on my top ten list. But on my "what course would I want to play right now if I could?" list it is not in my top ten. 

5 minutes ago, Mullenboy said:

Hi - yes but the greens are FANTASTIC at RCD.  The issue there is that there is very thick gorse on nearly every hole...on most very close in. Gorse is a thicket... bush... one does not hit the ball out of it.  So the result is too many lost balls, or unplayable lies if the ball can be found.  To me this is not fun, and that takes away from the greatness of RCD.

Just realized I didn't really answer the question.... yes... one time, first time at RCD it likely appears great - especially if one is hitting the ball well (straight) and thus doesn't find the gorse much.  Over time, I believe it is inevitable that one DOES find the gorse too much, thus making it un-fun for repeated play.  Relatively of course.  Remember we are talking about a course that never leaves the top 10 in the world in any ranking, and was once #1.

Bay Harbor, Michigan!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

13 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Yeah troon just wasnt that memorable for me. The only hole that sticks out really on Monument is #3, the monument hole. Couple holes on the back are good, one par 5 going up the hill and then a driveable par 4. But that's 3 holes out of 18, in my opinion. Pinnacle had a few more but again, meh. I think it just gets hyped up as one of the "must plays" and I think there are much better options.

As far as Pebble goes, agree to disagree there. The middle back nine has good holes, I think we are just blown away from high expectations due to 4-10 and anticipation to get to 17-18 that its easy to glaze over those middle holes but I thought they were good. You can also still see the ocean from basically every spot and the other view is massive celebrity mansions which is also cool. 

14 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I think it is a stretch to call 11, 13, and 15 as "not good holes".  11 has such great strategy.  Blind tee shot, if you are too far right in the fairway you have to hit a heroic shot to cover bunkers playing uphill.  Always takes at least one more club to get there, but if you are above the hole..... there is no way to two putt.  Off the tee the natural visual for the eyes is to play the shot more right, leading to the problems above.  Telephone pole target seems too far left, but is correct.  Assuming you get the ball on the left side of the fairway you have an uphill shot to a skinny green with no margin for error right or long, and by the way if you turn around you will have one of the best views on the entire course of the Pacific, and the peninsula.  13 is always in the top 5 most difficult par 3's on tour, and manages this without being over 200 yards.   Both are good if not great holes.  Now 15 is the warm handshake of the bunch, but your tee ball is though a narrowish chute.  Second shot if you find the fairway is the easiest on the course.  Birdy hole for sure, still not a bad hole.

On 1/20/2023 at 2:46 PM, crucible said:

It's not in good shape during the hot and humid summer months.

Seems like an exaggeration.  I've played it in the heat of August and its its excellent shape.  

Also somewhat agree on Troon North.  It is good but a bit repetitive.  I would play We-Ko-Pa over it any day.

• Like 1

@vallygolf agree to disagree on 11. 12 is the par 3. I don’t have any real issues with it, but just because it plays difficult doesn’t make it a good or bad hole. I think 13 is a weak hole as well. Another shorter par 4 to a sloping green with a bunker protecting one side. 

@jjtour it sounds like you and I may be judging the course differently. Being able to see the ocean from most of the course, or playing through large houses doesn’t change the golf course one bit. Sure it impacts the experience, but not the course. Some would argue playing around the mansions is a negative.  “I have a golfing buddy that always repeats, no course will ever be top 10 in my book if it plays through a neighborhood, Including Pebble Beach.”

I’m not making an argument for or against Pebble being overrated. I haven’t played near enough top 10-20 courses to have a valid opinion on the subject. I just don’t think it’s silly if someone wants to make a case that it is. 

It’s talking Pebble vs Pac Dunes but there’s still some good info in here. The link shares the opinions of a few guys that are qualified to talk about and compare Pebble. https://golf.com/travel/pebble-beach-better-pacific-dunes-debate/?amp=1

Edited by StudentGolfer4
Added the link from Golf

Spyglass stands out to me personally as overrated. I'm going off Golf Digest's public list, and they have it at #10 in the country. That's far too high for me. I really enjoy the first 5 holes among the dunes because it's a beautiful landscape and because the holes don't feel like a typical RTJ course: 2 is a quirky short par 4, 3 is just an eye candy par 3, and 4 has one of the coolest greens anywhere, but once you turn around on the 6th tee, I find myself thinking it could be any RTJ course somewhere in North Carolina or the RTJ Trail in Alabama. It just doesn't stand out at all to me once it gets into the trees. I enjoyed the round, but think it's overrated. It's probably overpriced too but that's a completely separate conversation.

Saw Erin Hills mentioned as an overrated course and completely disagree. I guess it may be overrated if you're going off of Golf Digest putting it at #9 in the country (I prefer Pasatiempo and Mammoth Dunes over it), but I think it's a fantastic golf course and was very memorable. I would go back and pay $300 to play it during the summer anytime. 

I think the more I think about this I just don't mesh as well with how Golf Digest ranks courses. I like the Golf.com list a lot better. It has Erin Hills around 30 and Blackwolf Run River at 38, a little more appropriate for that one too. 

I could understand someone coming away from Harbour Town a little disappointed. I wasn't, but if you go into it expecting the round to look like 17 and 18, which you see on TV all the time, you might be a little disappointed with how flat and through a housing development the rest of the course is. I find the architecture (and particularly the funky greens) interesting on Harbour Town, but it's not one I'd be itching to get back and play often. That may be a function of price point more than anything. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 1:56 PM, newg33b said:

Spyglass stands out to me personally as overrated. I'm going off Golf Digest's public list, and they have it at #10 in the country. That's far too high for me. I really enjoy the first 5 holes among the dunes because it's a beautiful landscape and because the holes don't feel like a typical RTJ course: 2 is a quirky short par 4, 3 is just an eye candy par 3, and 4 has one of the coolest greens anywhere, but once you turn around on the 6th tee, I find myself thinking it could be any RTJ course somewhere in North Carolina or the RTJ Trail in Alabama. It just doesn't stand out at all to me once it gets into the trees. I enjoyed the round, but think it's overrated. It's probably overpriced too but that's a completely separate conversation.

Saw Erin Hills mentioned as an overrated course and completely disagree. I guess it may be overrated if you're going off of Golf Digest putting it at #9 in the country (I prefer Pasatiempo and Mammoth Dunes over it), but I think it's a fantastic golf course and was very memorable. I would go back and pay $300 to play it during the summer anytime. 

I think the more I think about this I just don't mesh as well with how Golf Digest ranks courses. I like the Golf.com list a lot better. It has Erin Hills around 30 and Blackwolf Run River at 38, a little more appropriate for that one too. 

I could understand someone coming away from Harbour Town a little disappointed. I wasn't, but if you go into it expecting the round to look like 17 and 18, which you see on TV all the time, you might be a little disappointed with how flat and through a housing development the rest of the course is. I find the architecture (and particularly the funky greens) interesting on Harbour Town, but it's not one I'd be itching to get back and play often. That may be a function of price point more than anything. 

I find Golfweek and Golf Mag are pretty good 

Tobacco Road is overrated. Played it in August on the way to PH. Lot's of eye candy but pretty basic and a lot of the pins are in basins on the green so it was easy to feed approaches close to speed along play but what really killed it for me was the bug spray immune midges and gnats that continually flew in your face and ears. I seriously wished I had ear plugs.

Next time I go in the cooler weather.