2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

New Cobra King Tec Hybrid 2023

1 hour ago, Antmeister said:

Seems smaller (122c)? All black crown.  Can't find anything else about these.

11 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

They are for sale on the Cobra website and has pics.  Looks like it came out last year.

@golfinbrad 
There was a version of the Cobra KingTec Hybrid that was released ~July2021.  (But!  The graphics for the 2021 model = looks slightly different).

However, i'm inclined to believe the version in OP @Antmeister's video = "hot off the press".

There was a teaser i saw in a <<website that cannot be named  i.e. M..G..S..) that hinted on 9Jan2023 that "The AEROJET hybrid features a lower heel, a more rounded crown and a slightly raised aft. That aside, this isn’t the COBRA hybrid that piques my interest. You’ll have to wait another three days for that one."

(i.e. implying a launch/embargo date = 12Jan2023?)

Edited by JungleJimbo

7 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

They are for sale on the Cobra website and has pics.  Looks like it came out last year.

That's the previous version on the website.  This is the 2023 version.  Looks a bit more refined, and as stated above, hopefully a bit smaller.  I like the solid crown versus the two-way color scheme on the older version.  Other than those small changes, looks very similar (even stock shafts are the same).  The original version is a great club with lots of adjustment options.  

Ping G430 LST 10* 

TaylorMade Qi10 15* & 21*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Cleveland RTX Full Face 64/09

Swag Savage Too

Titleist Pro V1 yellow 

37 minutes ago, Jut said:

That's the previous version on the website.  This is the 2023 version.  Looks a bit more refined, and as stated above, hopefully a bit smaller.  I like the solid crown versus the two-way color scheme on the older version.  Other than those small changes, looks very similar (even stock shafts are the same).  The original version is a great club with lots of adjustment options.  

Looks like they just added the 2023 version to the website https://www.cobragolf.com/collections/golf-clubs-hybrids

They have the utility listed as well, but already says sold out.  My guess it is pre-order or waiting on their shipment.

Has anyone gotten the new version in hand yet?

Any comparissons to the first gen model?

I'm very interested, because being able to set it up with a fade bias would be awesome for me who always misses left with a hybrid.

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9* - Ventus Black 6S

Woods: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 & 5 Wood - Ventus Black 7S

Hybrid: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour - Ventus Blue 85HYB Stiff

Irons: TaylorMade p790 & p770 Combo Set - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50 SB - 54 SB - 58 LBV - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour DB 35"

6 hours ago, PickItUpGolf said:

Has anyone gotten the new version in hand yet?

Any comparissons to the first gen model?

I'm very interested, because being able to set it up with a fade bias would be awesome for me who always misses left with a hybrid.

I had the same thing, using the first version of this hybrid and it's definitely not draw biased like most hybrids, don't even need the fade weight setting 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, golfmatt said:

I had the same thing, using the first version of this hybrid and it's definitely not draw biased like most hybrids, don't even need the fade weight setting 

Same. First version definitely not draw biased. 

• Like 1

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

• 1 month later...

Did anyone get a chance to compare the new one with the old model?

I'm thinking of getting the latest one, but Golf Town is selling last model at $200 currently, so tempted to grab one at that price.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my 2023 version and was in the Sim last night.  The 19 degree is very hot with average of around 250 and some popping out there 260.  This reminds me of the Adam’s XTD Super Ti Hybrid that I bagged for years.  MMT shaft is still terrific.  Smooth and straight.  This years version looks smaller but still has some heft in shape. I’m thinking the 17 degree version lofted down will easily blow past many 3 woods in the market even with the shorter shaft. I’m tempted to pull the trigger in this idea.  

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 15.0 MCA Kaili Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

6 hours ago, Lemonde said:

I received my 2023 version and was in the Sim last night.  The 19 degree is very hot with average of around 250 and some popping out there 260.  This reminds me of the Adam’s XTD Super Ti Hybrid that I bagged for years.  MMT shaft is still terrific.  Smooth and straight.  This years version looks smaller but still has some heft in shape. I’m thinking the 17 degree version lofted down will easily blow past many 3 woods in the market even with the shorter shaft. I’m tempted to pull the trigger in this idea.  

I got to hit the 19 degree King Tec yesterday and it is a rocket launcher for sure with about 255 carry, not so sure about it replacing my 3 wood though because with the slightly higher spin and launch it was 25 yards shorter and it wasn't providing as much run either so total distance was considerably shorter, its a terrific hybrid though which never wanted to go left so it may be a perfect 5 wood replacement for me.

So how was the swingweight on yours because I though it felt on the light side?

Actually the 17 degree King Tec hybrid (lofted down to 15.5) with a Ventus HB Black 10 TX shaft may be worth testing as it could provide a slightly more accurate alternative to my 3 wood off the tee especially on links golf courses. When I hit the 19 degree yesterday I only tested it at standard loft then at 20 degrees because it was already going a long way and I wouldn't have wanted any more of a distance gap over my 3 iron.

1 hour ago, ARSM1932 said:

I got to hit the 19 degree King Tec yesterday and it is a rocket launcher for sure with about 255 carry, not so sure about it replacing my 3 wood though because with the slightly higher spin and launch it was 25 yards shorter and it wasn't providing as much run either so total distance was considerably shorter, its a terrific hybrid though which never wanted to go left so it may be a perfect 5 wood replacement for me.

You carry your 3 wood 280 yards ?!?

how far do you hit your driver…. With roll out… ? 

I was lucky enough to get tricked as a tester for the last iteration of the forged tec and absolutely loved it.  It could be set up to be the most absolutely anti-left hybrid I’ve ever hit.  Feel/sound was great.  Really great hybrids.  If the new version is the exact same club but a little smaller it would be close to perfect.  When I was playing it as a strong 3 hybrid it was awesome but I changed my set up to a 4 hybrid and it was a bit bigger than I thought was ideal in that spot (I know how absurd this sounds but this is WRX after all)

Cant wait to try this out!

On 3/9/2023 at 4:19 AM, ARSM1932 said:

It’s lighter but not bothersome.  D0.5 per their website. 

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

On 3/9/2023 at 4:43 AM, ARSM1932 said:

Actually the 17 degree King Tec hybrid (lofted down to 15.5) with a Ventus HB Black 10 TX shaft may be worth testing as it could provide a slightly more accurate alternative to my 3 wood off the tee especially on links golf courses. When I hit the 19 degree yesterday I only tested it at standard loft then at 20 degrees because it was already going a long way and I wouldn't have wanted any more of a distance gap over my 3 iron.

I think the stock MMT in an X would be fine in the 17 lofted to 15.5

Waiting for my 4 hybrid to turn up, was absolutely shocked at how straight it was going and how tight the dispersion was, just had to buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Has anyone tried both the 2021 and 2023 version and can comment on the differences?

I tried several hybrids today and King Tec 19 lofted down was standout performer. Unfortunately they did not have either 17 or 21 degree to test which is what I am looking to buy. 

Something I noticed with the 19 King Tec was shaft length was about 0.5” shorter than Paradym and Ping G430. Not according to specs but it looked and felt shorter. Anyone else noticing this? 

I've got the 4h, and I absolutely love it!

Was the tightest dispersion I've ever seen for a long club during my fitting, haven't been quite as tight with it in my local sim, but very nice club overall.

I didn't test it against the old model, don't like the look of it.

Pics are posted in the "post a picture of your latest purchase" or whatever it's called thread, if you want to see them.

NOTE: I went with a stock MMT in Stiff, even though I play x-stiff in my woods and driver, just seemed to work better for me. Go get fit if you need to!

Also worth noting: I've not tinkered with it AT ALL, just kept it stock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PickItUpGolf said:

I've got the 4h, and I absolutely love it!

Was the tightest dispersion I've ever seen for a long club during my fitting, haven't been quite as tight with it in my local sim, but very nice club overall.

I didn't test it against the old model, don't like the look of it.

Pics are posted in the "post a picture of your latest purchase" or whatever it's called thread, if you want to see them.

NOTE: I went with a stock MMT in Stiff, even though I play x-stiff in my woods and driver, just seemed to work better for me. Go get fit if you need to!

Also worth noting: I've not tinkered with it AT ALL, just kept it stock.

I also tested the stock MMT stiff, normally play X in woods. I think it felt smooth, and stable enough. Fitter said he would recommend stiff over X since my miss is more often to the right. 

What distance are you getting with the 4? And swing speed? Did you ever try the 17?

The 2021 King Tec is great price but prefer the look of the new. 
Would ideally buy two, 17+21 or even 19+24 but will likely buy only one due to cost. 

• Like 1

I recently went for a Cobra fitting just to see what they had and how it stacked up with no intent on buying at all. I loved the Cobra King Tour irons, but I wouldn't buy those when compared to the Srixon ZX7 Mk2's or the Edel SMS Pro Forged irons, but that's not what I'm hear to preach about. 

I then hit the 21 King Tec hybrid turned down to 19.5, and for some one who mostly worries about over fading it with a hybrid (contrary to popular belief) I was still just pumping them out there like straight knuckleballs. I was surprised because even with a now turned slightly open face I had zero issues keeping it online.

Performance wise, they were flying long, very very long for the given loft, but also getting high with a healthy decent angle. I was carrying some shots about 240 when hit in the screws. Which leads me to the FEEL of this thing. Hands down the best feeling hybrid I've ever tried and I've tried a lot. It felt mind bending explosive off the face with the most satisfying semi metallic semi carbon crack. You know the sort of sound and feel combo that makes you think that you're Arnold in True Lies letting a bazooka fly lol. Based on how long this puppy goes, I'm going to try and get fitted for a 17 & 21 degree. I can turn the 17 down a touch or leave as is to replace a 3 or 4 wood, except it's way more versatile. Period. and it's right up there for distance, similar to a Callaway UW loft for loft. 

Anyways, I can sing this things praises all day, but get fit properly and this will be the best feeling, longest and easiest to hit hybrid you've ever hit. 

Edited by Flush-It-Fore
  • Like 1

Ping G430 LST Dr. 9* - VA Nemesys 65X

Ping G430 LST Fwy. 15* - VA Nemesys 75X

Ping G430 Hyb. 19* - VA Nemesys 95X

Ping iCrossover 4 Util. 22.5* - Axiom 105X

Ping Blueprint S Irons 5-PW - Modus 120X

Ping S159 50S (Nippon 120X), 56H, 60T (both Nippon 125 Wedge)

L.A.B Golf DF3 Custom 

Vessel Player 4 Pro DXR 

5 hours ago, linoleum said:

I also tested the stock MMT stiff, normally play X in woods. I think it felt smooth, and stable enough. Fitter said he would recommend stiff over X since my miss is more often to the right. 

What distance are you getting with the 4? And swing speed? Did you ever try the 17?

The 2021 King Tec is great price but prefer the look of the new. 
Would ideally buy two, 17+21 or even 19+24 but will likely buy only one due to cost. 

Yeah it feels very stable for a stiff! The x-stiff actually made me fade it a bit too much, which was interesting.

During the fitting I was regularly getting 220 - 230 totals. Not sure what my swing speed was though. That was on a GC2 I believe.

On Trackman today, my best 2 swings were a 91mph with 199.6 carry and 212.7 total, and a 89.5mph with 193.5 carry and 217.9 total.

188 Carry and 202 total were my averages, that's with a few bad shots removed (I was trying a few things out, that's my excuse anyway).

I am tempted to buy a few different lofts just to give me some options.

And as the poster above mentioned, the feel is just gorgeous! Love it!