2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New AMG Shallowing Video - Wow...

Doodlebug87

2 hours ago, Doodlebug87 said:

For those who may not have seen, AMG have just released a new video tonight - I don't think any video has ever been clearer. Towards the end they show the right arm movement from three angles and also in three phases, the first stood up straight, second in posture but without pivot and third including the pivot. I must admit I strayed slightly from No Turn Cast recently having seen some Instagram videos with crazy external rotation rehearsals (and it messed me up!). Firstly AMG have just made it 100% clear that no external rotation of the rear shoulder happens in the downswing, secondly the isolated viewpoints effectively show Cast A and some of the arm movement from Broomforce and this is all I need to know - Monte is absolutely bang on. Seeing the movement from a standing position has just provided some extra clarity. Very interesting indeed!!!

That video is pure gold and should help kill the external shoulder rotation / arm wrestling move / passive arms / flexibility issues myths… truly isolate what the pros do to shallow; which isn’t very much!… everything is in line with what Monte and Shauheen Nakhjavani (linked below) have been saying - especially the trail bicep curl and arms motion / lowering in the downswing… so many guys ‘jackknifing’ themselves with the 2D perspective of what the upper trail arm and elbow does from the top… pure gold

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnVj8qeu_-8/?igshid=NDk5N2NlZjQ=

Edited by MtlJayMan
Link added
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's definitely one of their best pros vs am videos.  Lately my own experiences have me wondering if some golfers respond better to trail arm feels vs lead arm feels.  I feel I respond best with lead arm focus on takeaway but trail arm at transition which this video seems to validate.  Whenever I practice with more lead arm focus from transition it gets messy.  But when I focus on that right arm straightening move, I pick up speed.

I will add, you still need to make sure your pivot is correct.  This right arm move isn't that much helpful if you are hanging back.

Great video!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

So many gems in this, but the biggest one is the debunking the idea you need flexibility to make a good swing.

Also something I’ve learned the last few years that allowing the elbow to straighten, which I have always taught, is more responsible for the hands lowering than I had initially thought.

Loved how they humoured the flexibility issues required to shallow like a pro…

and it seems to me, relative newbie, that the trail arm can’t straighten fast enough for speed is relatively new (talking general instruction not you per se)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I have always taught that and got disagreement when people say hacks straighten it earlier than pros.  Because hacks often begin to straighten it late, they stall out and straighten it all at once and gives the illusion it’s early.  

What I never gave enough negative credit to in the past and have done more so in the last two years or so is how damaging early right tilt is in lowering the hands artificially.  The hands can basically go down as much as you want, as long as the elbow is losing flex and the right tilt isn’t early.  In the past I had cautioned people about the hands dropping too much or too quickly, but when you watch my older demonstrations of this move, I am early right tilting. in all of them.

As I learn more everyday, I don’t change my philosophy much, or at all.  What I change is my perception on what’s more important and what has a greater affect.  

Would you say that right side bend is thus an effect from ; correct trail side extension getting to the top / lead side flexing a tad in transition along with arms lowering fast and early trail elbow straightening ‘in front of your torso’ / body pivot, combined with lead side GRF in the hitting zone extending that side and thus ‘resulting’ in the trail side bend ?

2 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Yes, you want right tilt to be a necessity to hit the ball, not something you force in there.

Drop it in the slot intent right tilts you every time.  Too much external.  

I made a mistake early on saying lead with the right elbow toward the belly button and wasn’t clear that was directional and not where you were actually supposed to get it.

Straightening it and accelerating the arms and hands on time gets that done for most.

That quote makes so much sense… when I practice with the intent of ‘external rotation’, ‘elbow in front’ and not wanting the club to come from the outside… I find myself with way too much right tilt and ‘jackknifed’ like they mention in the AMG video (hands too much out) and a lovely timely stall flip save is needed since the face is wide open coming into the hitting zone… your videos, Shaunheen’s last IG post and this AMG video are all in accordance and pure gold (and surely simplify my practice sessions)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

That quote makes so much sense… when I practice with the intent of ‘external rotation’, ‘elbow in front’ and not wanting the club to come from the outside… I find myself with way too much right tilt and ‘jackknifed’ like they mention in the AMG video (hands too much out) and a lovely timely stall flip save is needed since the face is wide open coming into the hitting zone… your videos, Shaunheen’s last IG post and this AMG video are all in accordance and pure gold (and surely simplify my practice sessions)

Just like losing lag, elbow unloading early and too much is not the issue.  You what the wrists to UD and the elbow to straighten.  If they are early or wrong, forcing the angles to stay there will kill you because it’s something else.

I just talked to Shaun about how badass their new software is.  Very helpful, IMO. 

• Thanks 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

3 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Just like losing lag, elbow unloading early and too much is not the issue.  You what the wrists to UD and the elbow to straighten.  If they are early or wrong, forcing the angles to stay there will kill you because it’s something else.

I just talked to Shaun about how badass their new software is.  Very helpful, IMO. 

I need to pay this guy a visit - 15 minutes away from home!

Nothing new really, and trail arm straightening goes back a long way as a key sequence piece.    Not knowing and appreciating how a trail arm works on the reversal is probably because those affected by that misunderstanding didn't, or still don't, realize the club doesn't move in a good swing, and since it doesn't move how does it get down and out. 

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

12 minutes ago, Ex Blade User said:

Because it .25 of a second in real time 

so you just want to feel like you are unfolding it.  Not actually unfold it.  

In the drills you are literally unfolding it from the top position and that seems to be advocated for by some 

Edited by TrueBlue4Lyfe

21 minutes ago, TrueBlue4Lyfe said:

so you just want to feel like you are unfolding it.  Not actually unfold it.  

In the drills you are literally unfolding it from the top position and that seems to be advocated for by some 

No you start unfolding right away but since you are turning it’s not really noticeable until you’re further along. Look at Sergio his arm is almost straight by impact his hands at so low and he’s the king of “lag”

• Like 2

That excessive trail arm abduction/fake depth thing is something we see so commonly and i'm glad it was mentioned. Fantastic video, lots of good stuff to digest. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant