New AMG Shallowing Video - Wow...

Doodlebug87

27 minutes ago, Rdailey9108 said:

I became obsessed with shallowing the club and unfortunately got myself in extreme trouble doing a hands out steep to shallow swing with way too much trail side bend to early. Absolute disaster. Too much of anything in the gold swing could be harmful. 

This is a point Monte and other good instructors make all the time. The extremes are where danger lies. The goal is to get more players into more neutral positions and motions. 

To reach that goal means telling extremely steep players how to get more shallow and extremely shallow players how to get more steep. That's the human hands on element that makes personal instruction so valuable. 

The other thing I appreciate about Monte's approach (and AMG's) is that they are honest about feel vs real. Monte says you have to perceive that the first move from the top is the arms lowering, but he's honest that it's just an image that helps you sync up motions that are happening too fast to consciously control. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

6 hours ago, kowalgolf said:

I'm getting confused. We started out with the arm curl move of lowering the right arm from elbow to hand now were on reconnecting right upper arm and closing the gap. To me they're different unless my grip and BS are terrible.

Straightening the right arm and keeping the wrist angles will move the elbow closer to the body in the downswing.

If someone has too much trail elbow bend at the top then the need to throw the arms and club away from them will in effect move the elbow away. Seperate the elbows and throw away wrist angles.

The best way to get it in your head is to do as the video shows. Without pivoting move hands up to right shoulder height or just above with trail wrist bend. Just lower and Straighten the right arm. The underside of the forearm should be pointing somewhat away from you.

Elbow moves to body wrist angles haven't been lost.

If you believe the backswing is causing trouble move the arms as stated then pivot to see if this gets you into a decent top of backswing  position. 

Try and keep elbow bend under 90 degrees it should feel wide at the top.

Watch the video again and pause and do what they are showing with a club or alignment stick it should be pretty straightforward what the concept is. The difficultly is going from individual movements to slowly blending it together then increasing speed. 

• Like 1

Good stuff.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

8 hours ago, Krt22 said:

I think this shows a bit of your bias (nothing wrong with that) given you are a GG swinger and it works well for you. The AMG/Monte/Others arm movement if practiced by itself won't feel very powerful, but it needs to be rehearsed by itself to learn the proper movement.

But when done in a full swing with the other proper body movement, it's everything but. The real irony here is this move when done properly, allows the body to rotate more (or some might say it forces it to), allows for proper pressure shift, bigger GRFs, more speed, etc. Done in a static fashion, sure it feels like you are stuck with your arms behind you, but dynamically it eliminates rotation stalling compensation moves, thus you can rotate very well.

This is why I maintain GG and AMG are more similar than they are different, GG just spins things a bit differently due to how he teaches/markets/presents his pattern.

Edit: By bias I mean comfort level. You are obviously more keen on doing the GG move since it's what you are already working on, so something new/different is inherently going to feel less comfortable/powerful. 

I mostly agree. It’s like I said in my first post in this thread…they are more similar than they are different. GG says you go internal on the way back and external and little arm manipulation on the way down, rotate hard and voila…you are shallow and the club whips through impact even without a “throw” motion (though a throw adds more power and is recommended for most shots). AMG says go external on way back and arm movements are used to maintain shallowness on the way down until rotation takes over. I did both in a mirror and they felt almost identical, with a few small exceptions that I noted. 

The GG approach has gotten me open prior to impact, and my previous coach I had for years was never able to show me how to fix that. I went on my own for a bit before GG and actually used AMG stuff (and slicefixer) to some early good results, but within 6 months I was hitting it so bad I almost quit golf. I found GG and his approach resonated so much more with me, and the “feels” he described seemed to be just what I needed. 

It hasn’t all been sunshine and roses, though. I now get pressure too far back (probably due to the early trail side bend), and my short game has gone to the dump. GG has guidance for all of those things too, but I can only fix so much at once. I’m confident I’ll find it because I know so much more about the swing now due to GG. But it seems AMG resonates more with others, like you for example, and hey that’s all good as long as you get better. 

My primary “complaint” about them, again, is that they take what pros do and distill it into a “model” swing, even though many pros have inefficiencies and / or compensations in their swings. GG just speaks my language more because he at least tries to build an ideal swing model with virtually no compensations / leaks. And his ideal model doesn’t require insane physical ability to implement. It straightens the face and path and ratio, and has consequently straightened my ball flight tremendously. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, LeftDaddy said:

I mostly agree. It’s like I said in my first post in this thread…they are more similar than they are different. GG says you go internal on the way back and external and little arm manipulation on the way down, rotate hard and voila…you are shallow and the club whips through impact even without a “throw” motion (though a throw adds more power and is recommended for most shots). AMG says go external on way back and arm movements are used to maintain shallowness on the way down until rotation takes over. I did both in a mirror and they felt almost identical, with a few small exceptions that I noted. 

The GG approach has gotten me open prior to impact, and my previous coach I had for years was never able to show me how to fix that. I went on my own for a bit before GG and actually used AMG stuff (and slicefixer) to some early good results, but within 6 months I was hitting it so bad I almost quit golf. I found GG and his approach resonated so much more with me, and the “feels” he described seemed to be just what I needed. 

It hasn’t all been sunshine and roses, though. I now get pressure too far back (probably due to the early trail side bend), and my short game has gone to the dump. GG has guidance for all of those things too, but I can only fix so much at once. I’m confident I’ll find it because I know so much more about the swing now due to GG. But it seems AMG resonates more with others, like you for example, and hey that’s all good as long as you get better. 

My primary “complaint” about them, again, is that they take what pros do and distill it into a “model” swing, even though many pros have inefficiencies and / or compensations in their swings. GG just speaks my language more because he at least tries to build an ideal swing model with virtually no compensations / leaks. And his ideal model doesn’t require insane physical ability to implement. It straightens the face and path and ratio, and has consequently straightened my ball flight tremendously. 

That last paragraph doesn't make much sense but it's probably not worth delving into. As a fellow searcher we will ultimately end up where we end up. 

In your case if that is with Gankas I hope it goes well for you. 

Edited by Hilts1969
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LeftDaddy said:

Iteach told me he thought GG swing is just a model of compensations 

• Haha 2

The information in the video is awesome, especially when they isolate the movements.  I love the part where they freeze the arms and to show a "world class pivot with passive arms."  That debunks a lot for me.  I was buying into the left shoulder down with passive arms in the takeaway to get the club on plane.  Yes it brings the club up but it's not proper rotation and way too much left side bend and tilt.  When I turn more naturally without doing anything with my arms it looks exactly like the 12:10 mark.  Proving to me that I need to swing my arms up to the top (as i turn more naturally) instead of letting them feel passive.  This is really really good feedback for me.

However, on the actual shallowing part... I wish there was a better explanation on HOW pro's achieve the shallowing move they describe. What I mean is, their shallowing move has to be a biproduct of SOMETHING.  My 10 year old son has a great natural swing.  He has a great shift and awesome hip rotation to start the downswing.  His club gets really shallow and he rotates hard.  It's really a thing of beauty... AND I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT HE HAS NO THOUGHTS OF LOWERING HIS TRAIL ARM AND STRAIGHTENING IT.  It happens... naturally... unconsciously... as a result of????  

My belief is, and there is a ton of evidence to support it, that great players begin shifting and rotating forward from the ground up before the upper body finishes the backswing.  The arms are last to finish the backswing and the weight of the club and soft arms naturally drops the club as a results of the body already rotating the other way.  Nobody will convince me that shallowing is a conscience move (for most great players) outside of sequencing proper shift, rotation, and arms.  I also think that elite players need to FEEL like they're slowing their body down (Back to target longer) to speed up the arms to catch up.  I think great players who make super athletic moves have to feel the arms swinging to start the downswing.  But that FEEL isn't real and that advice isn't for most of us mortals.  I think the rest of us need to be focusing on sequencing and transition.  Not some mysterious shallowing move by the arms.

Edited by FormerBigDaddy
  • Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 9:24 AM, GungHoGolf said:

Related video from AMG three years ago- Harvey Penick’s “Magic Move”

When I first read Penick's Little Red Book I did exactly what they mention in the middle of the video and my arm bent increased while I brought my arm down, which completely ruined my swing and took me a long time to recover from, and I know I'm not the only one to do it. The description in the book was just inadequate I believe. 

The blender practice has been working great for me but when I perform it it feels like my arms are basically just coming down at a slightly angle and going back up as my body pivots. It works but is that the kind of feel I should have with it?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Here’s a video of my son who’s 10. Perfect example of his lower body sequencing shallowing the club. I haven’t told him anything other than shift and turn back and shift and turn through. At some point he’s going to have to FEEL exactly what I mentioned above, slowing down is body and feeling his arms swing to start down to catch up with his body. 

The kid doesn’t think about shallowing at all and has no idea what that even means. Much like any good player who learned to play early. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/vTft4hqD9O8?feature=share

Pretty crazy how good he looks. I haven't been able to get my 15-yr-old son into golf (he's a competitive swimmer), but I put him on video hitting a ball when he was 12, with barely any swing training at all, and his P6 looked like a tour pro. It's disgusting how easy some kids can do it.

2 minutes ago, GungHoGolf said:

Pretty crazy how good he looks. I haven't been able to get my 15-yr-old son into golf (he's a competitive swimmer), but I put him on video hitting a ball when he was 12, with barely any swing training at all, and his P6 looked like a tour pro. It's disgusting how easy some kids can do it.

I think it's probably because they aren't that concerned with where the ball ends up. Seems like a lot of our adult swing compensations and unnatural moves come from trying to protect against misses. Kids just let it go. 

• Like 4

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

2 minutes ago, GungHoGolf said:

I firmly believe it's because kids have no preconceptions about how to get the club back to the ball, they also lack the strength and athletic ability and as a result they just instinctively make the most efficient movement to do it. The older you get before you start, the more preconceptions you have, the more your perceived strongest muscles want to take over and we just get in our own way. I wish I'd started as a kid, but because I didn't and likely just due to how my brain is wired performing other tasks I need to focus on moving my arms correctly

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

The information in the video is awesome, especially when they isolate the movements.  I love the part where they freeze the arms and to show a "world class pivot with passive arms."  That debunks a lot for me.  I was buying into the left shoulder down with passive arms in the takeaway to get the club on plane.  Yes it brings the club up but it's not proper rotation and way too much left side bend and tilt.  When I turn more naturally without doing anything with my arms it looks exactly like the 12:10 mark.  Proving to me that I need to swing my arms up to the top (as i turn more naturally) instead of letting them feel passive.  This is really really good feedback for me.

However, on the actual shallowing part... I wish there was a better explanation on HOW pro's achieve the shallowing move they describe. What I mean is, their shallowing move has to be a biproduct of SOMETHING.  My 10 year old son has a great natural swing.  He has a great shift and awesome hip rotation to start the downswing.  His club gets really shallow and he rotates hard.  It's really a thing of beauty... AND I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT HE HAS NO THOUGHTS OF LOWERING HIS TRAIL ARM AND STRAIGHTENING IT.  It happens... naturally... unconsciously... as a result of????  

My belief is, and there is a ton of evidence to support it, that great players begin shifting and rotating forward from the ground up before the upper body finishes the backswing.  The arms are last to finish the backswing and the weight of the club and soft arms naturally drops the club as a results of the body already rotating the other way.  Nobody will convince me that shallowing is a conscience move (for most great players) outside of sequencing proper shift, rotation, and arms.  I also think that elite players need to FEEL like they're slowing their body down (Back to target longer) to speed up the arms to catch up.  I think great players who make super athletic moves have to feel the arms swinging to start the downswing.  But that FEEL isn't real and that advice isn't for most of us mortals.  I think the rest of us need to be focusing on sequencing and transition.  Not some mysterious shallowing move by the arms.

When you’re a kid you don’t have the strength or the life experience to get in the way of just swinging the club. That’s why scratch golfers who start after the age of 15 are very rare. We tend to overthink and complicate the swing as you are in your post. You have been presented with exactly WHAT happens in elite swings now you have to figure out HOW your feel is to achieve it. Just do it slow slow slow slow for awhile and it will happen if you LET it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Doodlebug87 said:

I firmly believe it's because kids have no preconceptions about how to get the club back to the ball, they also lack the strength and athletic ability and as a result they just instinctively make the most efficient movement to do it. The older you get before you start, the more preconceptions you have, the more your perceived strongest muscles want to take over and we just get in our own way. I wish I'd started as a kid, but because I didn't and likely just due to how my brain is wired performing other tasks I need to focus on moving my arms correctly

Umm yea I guess should’ve read this before I posted the same thing right after lol 

1 hour ago, green5 said:

When I first read Penick's Little Red Book I did exactly what they mention in the middle of the video and my arm bent increased while I brought my arm down, which completely ruined my swing and took me a long time to recover from, and I know I'm not the only one to do it. The description in the book was just inadequate I believe. 

The blender practice has been working great for me but when I perform it it feels like my arms are basically just coming down at a slightly angle and going back up as my body pivots. It works but is that the kind of feel I should have with it?

Who cares what it feels like if it works. It should feel different or “weird” because you’ve been wrong forever?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Mysterious shallowing move by the arms? Have you actually watched the whole video?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, GungHoGolf said:

What kills me is my sons arm structure at the top. I didn’t teach him that and haven’t said a word to him about it. I’ve only always said shift turn back shift turn through. 

His lead wrist is prefect at the top. Not from some weird wrist c0ck… he just does it. My guess is bc he’s never heard anything about arm rotation. He simply turns and arms go up without rotating them conscientiously. I’d pay alot of money for my swing to look like his. 

1 minute ago, Hilts1969 said:

Mysterious shallowing move by the arms? Have you actually watched the whole video?

Yep… and I’m saying that good players who learned at a young age have no concept of shallowing. It just happens as a result of their sequencing. Not saying shallowing doesn’t occur, I just don’t think it’s what most should be focusing on bc it’s a bi product. 

8 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Yep… and I’m saying that good players who learned at a young age have no concept of shallowing. It just happens as a result of their sequencing. Not saying shallowing doesn’t occur, I just don’t think it’s what most should be focusing on bc it’s a bi product. 

You don't think people who are steep which is the majority should try and not be steep? The video shows that the arm basically works up and down ie folds and unfolds it's a natural movement really so if they have been doing it from a young age then yes they don't need to bother.

But most don't the video actually states it's about shallowing so I'm not sure what you were expecting? Maybe a video on sequencing as you have decided this is the secret whatever that vague term means.

BTW shallowing is the bi product of straightening the trail arm correctly.

Edited by Hilts1969
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doodlebug87 said:

I firmly believe it's because kids have no preconceptions about how to get the club back to the ball, they also lack the strength and athletic ability and as a result they just instinctively make the most efficient movement to do it.

1 hour ago, Ex Blade User said:

When you’re a kid you don’t have the strength or the life experience to get in the way of just swinging the club. That’s why scratch golfers who start after the age of 15 are very rare. 

You both nailed it. My son started swinging early. Like at maybe 5-6… at the time he was barely strong enough to lift the club (despite it being a kids club) and the only way for him to get the club back to the ball was for him to shift and rotate. The club dropped to start the downswing as a result bc of the weight of it in comparison. It didn’t drop bc he made it drop, it dropped bc he started shifting and turning (not swinging the arms) and gravity made it shallow. 

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

5 minutes ago, Hilts1969 said:

You don't think people who are steep which is the majority should try and not be steep? The video shows that the arm basically works up and down ie folds and unfolds it's a natural movement really so if they have been doing it from a young age then yes they don't need to bother.

But most don't the video actually states it's about shallowing so I'm not sure what you were expecting? Maybe a video on sequencing as you have decided this is the secret whatever that vague term means.

BTW shallowing is the bi product of straightening the trail arm correctly.

They aren’t steep bc they aren’t shallowing though. You don’t fix the root cause by trying to shallow. Most people

who are steep pull the club down from

the top and do not shift and turn correctly. Or they roll it inside and have to turn the shoulders OTT to get back to the ball. Shallowing isn’t fixing that. That’s why I hate shallowing videos. 

AMG video is awesome, just wish they took it a step further to explain HOW pros shallow and not just want happens with the arms when they do. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

You both nailed it. My son started swinging early. Like at maybe 5-6… at the time he was barely strong enough to lift the club (despite it being a kids club) and the only way for him to get the club back to the back was for him to shift and rotate. The club dropped to start the downswing as a result bc of the weight of it in comparison. It didn’t drop bc he made it drop, it dropped bc he started shifting and turning (not swinging the arms) and gravity made it shallow. 

So you have the answers not sure what you’re asking for them. It’s all there 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

They aren’t steep bc they aren’t shallowing though. You don’t fix the root cause by trying to shallow. Most people

who are steep pull the club down from

the top and do not shift and turn correctly. Or they roll it inside and have to turn the shoulders OTT to get back to the ball. Shallowing isn’t fixing that. That’s why I hate shallowing videos. 

AMG video is awesome, just wish they took it a step further to explain HOW pros shallow and not just want happens with the arms when they do. 

The video is telling you exactly WHAT they are doing. you have to find the feel that work for you, HOW to make it happen.  It’s not complicated that’s the point 

Edited by Ex Blade User
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Krt22 said:

Unfortunately this is 100% the wrong way to think about it. The way kids learn and the way adults learn are two completely different things. Just because a kid can learn to swing great without thinking about shallowing, doesn't mean that will apply to everyone. 

If an adult already has a repeatable swing and that swing involves a steepening move, there will absolutely need to be conscious effort to undo that learned motor pattern. 

I don’t disagree with that and can understand why you’d need to change the motor pattern. But the fix should include fixing the root cause of that pattern. Not just shallowing.