2023 Grant Thornton WITB Photos ×

2023 Course Conditions - Tucson Area

Arizonalefty59

Figure I'd make one for the Tucson area as my new years resolution was to play more golf. 

Got out to Silverbell today. Their overseed must've been tough out there this year. The fairways were thin and patchy but the greens were pretty solid. Pace of play was pretty bad for a 2:00PM round but still hard to beat for $30 even with not being able to finish 18. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...

Sewailo yesterday.  In decent shape, but all lies are very tight and as you'd expect a lot of divot marks in the fairway unfixed or even sanded.  Greens in very good shape, holding nicely, rolling well and semi-quick.  Bunkers very inconsistent with some lacking sand.

It was a great day yesterday weather-wise.  POP sucked badly though!  There was some sort of college golf qualifier going on (I assume for an event hosted by U of A) and the golfers were having to play everything by the rules and all their grinding, turning it into a 5 hour round.  

On 1/18/2023 at 9:36 PM, Arizonalefty59 said:

Figure I'd make one for the Tucson area as my new years resolution was to play more golf. 

Got out to Silverbell today. Their overseed must've been tough out there this year. The fairways were thin and patchy but the greens were pretty solid. Pace of play was pretty bad for a 2:00PM round but still hard to beat for $30 even with not being able to finish 18. 

I played Silverbell Saturday.  I am pretty sure they did not overseed.  They've been doing this with one city course each year, I believe to give the Bermuda a chance to recover from being choked out every year.  So yes, the fairways are dormant Bermuda, beat down by a few months play.  The good news it that is should come back nicely, once things warm up.  the other good news is that the roll-out was amazing.  I have to remember that I don't actually hit the ball that far!  Greens were good, they jut catch me out because they are so different from the others I usually play!  Pace was decent, for a full course on a Saturday morning.

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

8 hours ago, jlbos83 said:

I played Silverbell Saturday.  I am pretty sure they did not overseed.  They've been doing this with one city course each year, I believe to give the Bermuda a chance to recover from being choked out every year.  So yes, the fairways are dormant Bermuda, beat down by a few months play.  The good news it that is should come back nicely, once things warm up.  the other good news is that the roll-out was amazing.  I have to remember that I don't actually hit the ball that far!  Greens were good, they jut catch me out because they are so different from the others I usually play!  Pace was decent, for a full course on a Saturday morning.

You are 100% correct, I misspoke. They've just been painting the fairways. I will say that the tee boxes and greens are really solid. 

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

WITB Link

On 2/10/2023 at 1:55 PM, Ninja said:

Planning to play a few rounds there next month... is Silverbell worth checking out?

It depends on what you are after!  As mentioned above, Silverbell was not overseeded last fall.  So right not, the fairways are dormant Bermuda, and a pretty tramped down.  They run like crazy, though!  the greens are in reasonable shape.  It's a decent value municipal course.  It's fair to say you get what you pay for, don't expect a high end course, but you can have a good time playing there.

• Like 1

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

36 minutes ago, Ninja said:

Really looking forward to visiting Tucson. These are the courses on our radar....

Sewailo

Quarry Pines

Arizona National

Starr Pass

San Ignacio

Any you might suggest swapping out? Ventana & Dove Mountain are probably beyond our budget.

I think that's a pretty good set.  I don't love Starr Pass, it's a bit too "targety" for my taste.  But, whenever I have played it is has been a beautiful course, and in good condition.  I might consider Tubac, instead.  It's got some places from Tin Cup, and you will definitely recognize some locations, even if they are a bit different.  Arizona National is on the other side of town from the others, if that is at all a consideration.

• Like 1

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

49 minutes ago, Ninja said:

Really looking forward to visiting Tucson. These are the courses on our radar....

Sewailo

Quarry Pines

Arizona National

Starr Pass

San Ignacio

Any you might suggest swapping out? Ventana & Dove Mountain are probably beyond our budget.

Where will you be staying, for how long, and how many rounds are you looking to play? AZ National is a keeper but is on the other side of Tucson from Sewailo, Quarry Pines, and Starr Pass. San Ignacio is a decent course, more of a locals course, but further to the south in Green Valley. If you are doing 36 in a day you may need to keep travel time between these courses in mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Where will you be staying, for how long, and how many rounds are you looking to play? AZ National is a keeper but is on the other side of Tucson from Sewailo, Quarry Pines, and Starr Pass. San Ignacio is a decent course, more of a locals course, but further to the south in Green Valley. If you are doing 36 in a day you may need to keep travel time between these courses in mind.

5 days (5 rounds) & looking to stay within walking distance (or short drive from) the downtown area but open to suggestions. Hoping to walk to some restaurants/shops in the evening if possible.

When you say a locals course.... it may not be worth the drive?

2 hours ago, jlbos83 said:

I think that's a pretty good set.  I don't love Starr Pass, it's a bit too "targety" for my taste.  But, whenever I have played it is has been a beautiful course, and in good condition.  I might consider Tubac, instead.  It's got some places from Tin Cup, and you will definitely recognize some locations, even if they are a bit different.  Arizona National is on the other side of town from the others, if that is at all a consideration.

Target golf is only fun when you have your 'A' game going.

So Tubac over San Ignacio? We don't mind the extra travel for a decent track. If so, I'll have to give Tin Cup a go.... been years since I last watched it.

On 2/21/2023 at 12:53 PM, Ninja said:

5 days (5 rounds) & looking to stay within walking distance (or short drive from) the downtown area but open to suggestions. Hoping to walk to some restaurants/shops in the evening if possible.

When you say a locals course.... it may not be worth the drive?

One round per day takes the travel time issue out of play then. I'd probably do Tubac over San Ignacio. Tubac has 27 holes. If you can only play 18, you want to do the Otero & Rancho nines, these are the original Red Lawrence-designed 18 holes that include the "Tin Cup" holes. The Anza nine is from the mid 2000s, I wasn't a fan of it but it's not absolutely terrible. You might as well play all 3 if you can schedule it. 

San Ignacio is a good course, just isn't in the top tier of Tucson-area courses. 

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

One round per day takes the travel time issue out of play then. I'd probably do Tubac over San Ignacio. Tubac has 27 holes. If you can only play 18, you want to do the Otero & Rancho nines, these are the original Red Lawrence-designed 18 holes that include the "Tin Cup" holes. The Anza nine is from the mid 2000s, I wasn't a fan of it but it's not absolutely terrible. You might as well play all 3 if you can schedule it. 

San Ignacio is a good course, just isn't in the top tier of Tucson-area courses. Now that I think about it, I'd probably keep San Ignacio, get rid of Quarry Pines, and add Tubac.

I agree.  I think San Ignacio is underrated.  It's in good shape, is really pretty, and has at least a few interesting holes.  I would lay it before Quarry Pines, all day long. Again, not being a Starr Pass fan (especially for the money, and the extra cost for balls 🤪), I might go leave it out and see if there are times at Tucson National.  One could make a day of it and play Tubac and San Ignacio on the same day, do Tubac first, then San Ignacio.  San Ignacio probably won't be really busy in the afternoon, so you can get right around.

• Like 1

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

Played Del Urich a couple days ago and WOW. Conditions were fantastic, greens were great along with the fairways. Bunkers were a little inconsistent. Such a fun easy course, playing out there next tuesday again. Great value for $42.

• Like 1

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

WITB Link

On 2/21/2023 at 10:07 AM, Ninja said:

Sewailo

Quarry Pines

Arizona National

Starr Pass

San Ignacio

I would skip Quarry Pines and look at Del Urich or Randolph. Quarry Pines is not the most enjoyable with its funky design and being right next to the interstate. 

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

WITB Link

11 hours ago, Arizonalefty59 said:

I would skip Quarry Pines and look at Del Urich or Randolph. Quarry Pines is not the most enjoyable with its funky design and being right next to the interstate. 

A good suggestion.  I prefer Dell Urich, but either would be fine.  If you want to go southeast of town Del Lago is usually in good shape, and is enjoyable, in my opinion.  It's deserty but doesn't punish as much as Starr Pass.

At the end of the day, all of the courses being discussed have good points, so you can't really go wrong.  If you miss some, you'll just have to come back.  I think that Tucson is one of the best places for good golf at a good value, with good weather!

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

1 hour ago, jlbos83 said:

A good suggestion.  I prefer Dell Urich, but either would be fine.  If you want to go southeast of town Del Lago is usually in good shape, and is enjoyable, in my opinion.  It's deserty but doesn't punish as much as Starr Pass.

At the end of the day, all of the courses being discussed have good points, so you can't really go wrong.  If you miss some, you'll just have to come back.  I think that Tucson is one of the best places for good golf at a good value, with good weather!

Agreed, we are spoiled with the pricing down here in the winter. 

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

WITB Link

On 2/23/2023 at 1:15 AM, Arizonalefty59 said:

Appreciate the heads-up.... would The Highlands at Dove Mountain be a decent option instead of QP?

2 hours ago, Ninja said:

Appreciate the heads-up.... would The Highlands at Dove Mountain be a decent option instead of QP?

Yup a much better option 

• Like 1

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

WITB Link

El Conquistador Canada course today - just not very good. 😞  

We were supposed to play Conquistador course, but when we showed up they said they had to move us the Canada.

The "rough" was horrid - it is trampled down grass that has been watered down badly.  If you were off the fairway, it was really tough to hit the ball.  The bunkers were atrocious with huge rocks and very inconsistent sand.  The greens were pretty bad - really bumpy.  The tee boxes were in bad shape too.  The fairways were decent.

This was our first time playing the course, it is pretty hokey.  Reminded us of Desert Canyon out in Fountain Hills.  Some really bad tee shots.  Would not go back.  POP was at least good at 415.

The Randolph Complex is in good shape (thank god) but obviously tee sheets will be packed. Enke is in really good shape and continues to be improved on. Rolling Hills may be the greatest little gem we have here in Tucson. Those greens are running so pure right now! Stay away from SB!!!

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

On 3/17/2023 at 10:51 AM, Shipwreck said:

The Randolph Complex is in good shape (thank god) but obviously tee sheets will be packed. Enke is in really good shape and continues to be improved on. Rolling Hills may be the greatest little gem we have here in Tucson. Those greens are running so pure right now! Stay away from SB!!!

I played Silverbell Saturday, and it is not great.  The greens are transitioning (I hope!) from winter to summer, and are really bumpy and inconsistent.  Totally different than a month ago.  The fairways are the same but worse, since the dormant Bermuda is finally tromped down to being fairly non-existent.  Fortunately, there is evidence of the Bermuda preparing for its summer run, it's just going to take some time to get there!

• Like 1

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

1 hour ago, jlbos83 said:

I played Silverbell Saturday, and it is not great.  The greens are transitioning (I hope!) from winter to summer, and are really bumpy and inconsistent.  Totally different than a month ago.  The fairways are the same but worse, since the dormant Bermuda is finally tromped down to being fairly non-existent.  Fortunately, there is evidence of the Bermuda preparing for its summer run, it's just going to take some time to get there!

It really is sad too because A: they are still charging winter rates for a course that is in near unplayable condition and B: I really do enjoy Bell for its challenge. 16/17 may be the two toughest back to back holes in Tucson lol. 

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS