Playing professionals that did not have successful junior careers, nor play in college?

Hkovo17

Do you guys know / know of anyone on Tour, Korn Ferry, etc. that made it to that level with essentially a s*** resume prior? I'm talking your average +hdcp amateur golfer that maybe fired a couple rounds in the low 70's as a teenager in some quali's / the like (like really no one that memorable).

Sort of unrelated but cool story - had an interesting conversation with Vinny Covello down at the Gator Pro-Am a few weeks ago. This year it was up at Sea Island in GA. Real quick on Vince - most down to earth guy you'll ever meet. My brother and I were playing in the pro-am and he sat at the dinner table with us. We're all from the Philly area. I'll never forget what he said... "If you want to make a run at it, you have to love it more than you even realize. You're putting in 7-day work weeks, 6 if you can manage it. You have to marry the game." And you could tell he was dead serious.

Anyways, yes I am thinking of making a run at it at the ripe age of 27, starting on the MLGT or WFGT down in FL. I'm even considering being a playing pro on the mini tours as a side gig. There's just nothing else I really want to do that badly in life except play competitive golf. And I believe I have the work ethic to at least make it to the KF Tour. You look at a guy like Vince and he didn't get his card until 2-3 years ago after being a pro for ~15 years. 

Nonetheless, I never played in college and never won anything as an Amateur, but I can keep up with almost anyone. Definitely have a deeper than deep passion for working on my game and is honestly the only thing I'd tell you I'd be able to work at 10+ hours a day 6-7 days/week. Also, you guys know of any good mini tours out in Cali? Preferably LA area?

Edited by Hkovo17
Edit
  • Like 1

Not exactly what you're asking but Zach Johnson, while he did play in College, was i believe a middle of the pack player at a college not known for golf. Basically not a pro prospect at all ...and he ended up making it and winning a major

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 minutes ago, Hkovo17 said:

Do you guys know / know of anyone on Tour, Korn Ferry, etc. that made it to that level with essentially a s*** resume prior? I'm talking your average +hdcp amateur golfer that maybe fired a couple rounds in the low 70's as a teenager in some quali's / the like (like really no one that memorable).

Real quick had an interesting conversation with Vinny Covello down at the Gator Pro-Am a few weeks ago. This year it was up at Sea Island in GA. Real quick on Vince - most down to earth guy you'll ever meet. My brother and I were playing in the pro-am and he sat at the dinner table with us. We're all from the Philly area. I'll never forget what he said... "If you want to make a run at it, you have to love it more than you even realize. You're putting in 7-day work weeks, 6 if you can manage it. You have to marry the game." And you could tell he was dead serious.

Anyways, yes I am thinking of making a run at it at the ripe age of 27, starting on the MLGT or WFGT down in FL. I'm even considering being a playing pro on the mini tours as a side gig. There's just nothing else I really want to do that badly in life except play competitive golf. And I believe I have the work ethic to at least make it to the KF Tour. You look at a guy like Vince and he didn't get his card until 2-3 years ago after being a pro for ~15 years. 

Nonetheless, I never played in college and never won anything as an Amateur, but I can keep up with almost anyone. Definitely have a deeper than deep passion for working on my game and is honestly the only thing I'd tell you I'd be able to work at 10+ hours a day 6-7 days/week. Also, you guys know of any good mini tours out in Cali? Preferably LA area?

I'm having a hard time deciding if you are being serious or not, but if we pretend that you are...

As someone who played in college and had what I would consider a fairly successful Jr/Amateur career and has plenty of friends who turned pro (some made it and some didn't) I have to say you'd be getting way in over your head if you actually tried this.

That being said, if you really want to do it you'll need 1 of 3 things to have even a 1 in a million chance of making it.

1) Unlimited funds - i.e. something like a ton of family money because you'll easily spend six figures a year on expenses alone

2) People who are wiling to back you financially knowing they will most likely never get any of their money back

3) No issues at all with sleeping in your car, sharing a single run down motel room with 8 other guys, and exclusively eating a diet of nothing but cheap fast food

If none of those 3 things apply to you then I think you need to give up this dream.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Didn't think to mention that in the OP but luckily I am in a position where all three do apply. And yes, I'm being serious. I know it's ridiculous and I know most people never even sniff a card, much less win something on Korn Ferry/Web, or even Canada/China/LA/Etc... The funny thing with professional golf - as you know - is you don't really have to win, you just have to play well enough.

You sort of get to this point in your late 20's where you ask yourself what you want to really do with your life. For me, playing competitively - and for money - is part of that, but I'm well aware it will probably take me down a different path (maybe teaching, conditioning, etc.).

Many avenues to explore, was just curious with my OP.

The Golden State Tour is still active, as far as I know, although it looks like the name has changed - it's the "Asher Tour" now. They play all over California and Arizona.

Seems like the Outlaw Tour may still be active as well. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I'm not sure I agree with "The funny thing with professional golf - as you know - is you don't really have to win, you just have to play well enough."  Trying to make it through the mini tours is not cheap and if you are not winning, you are losing money.  Let's be realistic, what scores are you shooting on your home course?  What is your handicap?  Keep in mind these high level players are +4s and higher.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hkovo17 said:

Didn't think to mention that in the OP but luckily I am in a position where all three do apply. And yes, I'm being serious. I know it's ridiculous and I know most people never even sniff a card, much less win something on Korn Ferry/Web, or even Canada/China/LA/Etc... The funny thing with professional golf - as you know - is you don't really have to win, you just have to play well enough.

You sort of get to this point in your late 20's where you ask yourself what you want to really do with your life. For me, playing competitively - and for money - is part of that, but I'm well aware it will probably take me down a different path (maybe teaching, conditioning, etc.).

Many avenues to explore, was just curious with my OP.

One of my friends started playing pro golf in his late 20s. He did have some amateur success including 3-4 straight club championships at one of the top clubs in our province. He was a competitive +4 or so at the time.

He plays in a lot of local tournaments in Canada, i believe has played in some Canadian tour events. He also is a teaching pro and makes money with lessons.

It's really, really hard to make it. My friend is not close to making the PGA tour and is not a regular on the Canadian Tour. Great guy but this is just the reality. He was one of the top 2-3 Amateurs in the province i would say when he was a true Am

It's brutal to make it , man

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I would suggest before signing up for the WFGT, another mini-tour circuit, chasing Monday qualifiers etc. Go play in some local tournaments or state golf association events, you'll gain insight on two things; how your game stacks up against other good players who probably aren't chasing the big tours and the pressures associated with playing tournament golf. 

1 minute ago, 4Eyes said:

Larry Nelson.

Sure if you go back 40 years ago.  Totally different world today.  You might have guys do were as noticed, but I'm hard pressed to think any did not win local Am tments.  It's rare a DI schools will consider you without some success.  

Dude who won the last Asher Tour event apparently shot 69-63 and won on the third playoff hole.

Course was Par 71, 6932yrds, 71.5/130.

Winner took home $7500.

or
or

Just now, MtlJeff said:

That takes you out of cheap fast food territory and into applebees territory

Only if four of you share a room at the Motel 6.

or
or

Instead of asking all these hypothetical questions, 

• sign up state/regional/national amateur and mid-am tournaments. and see how your game stack up against good amateurs. 
  • sign up some mini tour events and see how your game stack up against low-level pros.  

Keep in mind the players in these tournaments already live and married to the game since they were 6 yo. They were probably plus handicap before they turned 12 yo. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fuscinator said:

1A8D2C81-AD63-464E-8113-3834F92ACFB7.png

Took up the game at 25, self-taught, and was a pro by 29, absolutely ridiculous. 

I will say though that it seems just as difficult, maybe even harder, to have been middling junior/college golfer and take the leap to the elite professional level than it is to start late like Choi. Someone in OP's situation has years of practice under their belt just to reach their existing level, and years of habits to unlearn. 

8 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Not exactly what you're asking but Zach Johnson, while he did play in College, was i believe a middle of the pack player at a college not known for golf. Basically not a pro prospect at all ...and he ended up making it and winning a major

Zach actually won two Majors (The Masters and The Open at St. Andrews)

I wish the OP the best of luck in pursuing his dream/passion and whatever the outcome, I hope you have no regrets

You said you didn’t play in college and never won anything as an amateur. Have you even played in high-stress tournaments like club or regional championships?  Do you know how your game will hold up under pressure? Playing recreational golf where there is little pressure is a completely different game than tournament golf. Unless you’re shooting mid-60’s on a really hard course under the pressure of competition you may want to reconsider this career path.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

49 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

1% likes what they do and TBH there's probably a 1:1 correlation between that group and psychotics.

Never heard this sentiment expressed so eloquently. Nice one.

• Like 3

or
or

22 hours ago, ac6 said:

Took up the game at 25, self-taught, and was a pro by 29, absolutely ridiculous. 

I will say though that it seems just as difficult, maybe even harder, to have been middling junior/college golfer and take the leap to the elite professional level than it is to start late like Choi. Someone in OP's situation has years of practice under their belt just to reach their existing level, and years of habits to unlearn. 

A long amateur career that's mediocre is usually an indication of little to no talent. Some savant starting at 30 is bound to do better. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I mean, not sure pedigree really matters? The golf ball doesn't care what your swing looks like or where you used to play. 

Are you like a +5 or better? If not, then... Idk, prob not. I don't think it really matters if you played in college, you're not drafted onto Tour. If you can shoot under 70 in a legit tournament on the regular then it could always be worth a go. 

Well this went well. 
I've played in many tourneys as an am. Best I ever did was a few Top 3's in a few IJGTs and local qualis for random Opens/tourneys around the tristate area, then went to college and chased girls and booze and forgot about golf. Had a few DIII schools give me a call but never went through with it. Thought mentioning the Gator pro-am would've answered the tourney skepticism. You wouldn't get asked to play in a mid-tier pro-am if you couldn't play. Russell Knox, Patton Kizzire, Billy Horschel were some of the Tour guys there. Nothing crazy - it was fun. I never had a coach growing up, more or less self-taught. Would be curious to see what's possible if I dedicated everything to it, that's all I was trying to say. Can get 170 ball speed/114 club with driver and carry it ~280 pretty consistently - and that's now - with no distance/strength work with a coach. Played in a Major on the MLGT down at Abacoa in West Palm and was Even through 17 when I skull-f*cked one out of the sand to triple 17 and finish with a 75 for the first day. That was off the plane from Philly not playing for three months and hitting balls into a net in my apt's basement.

My bad if I made it sound like I'd never played competitively, etc... Comment that most resonated with me was MtlJeff's and his club champ buddy playing to a plus in tourneys. 

The odds are damn near impossible - no sh*t. Didn't need the therapy posts telling me that it's insulting to other people that have careers in business to chase a profession in golf - read what I wrote next time, that's not even what I said. I said it'd be cool if it led to a career in something golf related, not just as a playing pro.

Edit- Mello not trying to come at you but your post is pretty out of pocket (I appreciate the edit too). Also see you're in SC - I've played May River in Bluffton a few times - great track down there and great state for golf! Still haven't gotten on Harbor Town though... :sigh:

Edited by Hkovo17
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I mean, not sure pedigree really matters? The golf ball doesn't care what your swing looks like or where you used to play. 

Are you like a +5 or better? If not, then... Idk, prob not. I don't think it really matters if you played in college, you're not drafted onto Tour. If you can shoot under 70 in a legit tournament on the regular then it could always be worth a go. 

For the Tour a +5 wouldn't even come close to cutting it - you'd need to get to a point where a 67-69 is a bad day at your home track. 59 should happen every couple of months. 

Edited by Hkovo17

On 1/19/2023 at 3:35 PM, golfinbrad said:

I'm not sure I agree with "The funny thing with professional golf - as you know - is you don't really have to win, you just have to play well enough."  Trying to make it through the mini tours is not cheap and if you are not winning, you are losing money.  Let's be realistic, what scores are you shooting on your home course?  What is your handicap?  Keep in mind these high level players are +4s and higher.

You play at Lafayette? 

On 1/19/2023 at 3:59 PM, jholz said:

Dude who won the last Asher Tour event apparently shot 69-63 and won on the third playoff hole.

Course was Par 71, 6932yrds, 71.5/130.

Winner took home $7500.

Family friend from Bucknell just cashed a $20K check on the MLGT's biggest payout to date. I believe it was a two-dayer. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 3:33 PM, Abh159 said:

This sentence you mentioned is a common misconception. 

Sure, if you actually manage to make it to the PGA Tour then you can get away with winless seasons as long as you have a lot of Top-10s.

However, if you ever want to make it off of whatever podunk mini tour you're playing on you do have to win and you have to win with relative frequency. Simply making the cut isn't even going to earn you enough to come out even money for the week on most mini tours.

I disagree. Any low/mid-tier Tour pro would tell you success is winning enough money to keep playing.