Have you really replaced your G 400 Max driver, don't lie

platgof

I've had 3 separate G400 Max. I never found the magic of the first one and I've been through a LOT of drivers trying to find it.

Edit - I just got a Rogue ST Max from CPO this week. It had its maiden range session today. It was the first date, so not going to get ahead of myself.  But it's the first club I hit since my G400 Max that gave the same 'put any type of swing on it and you'll be in the fairway' confidence I remembered.

I'll take it the range again tomorrow and have a tournament on Saturday. That'll tell me a lot more.

Edited by mantan
  • Like 2

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei AV Blue 65

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Srixon ZX5 5-PW Modus 3 

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48*

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*

PING Glide 2.0 ES 58*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Bounced around a lot of drivers before finding what the G400Max was about and don't see it leaving the bag anytime. Haven't been able to find anything to kick it out. Have another brand new head just in case something ever happens to my gamer. 

Ping G400Max 11*

Taylormade M4 3wood

Callaway Tour Issue Superhybrid 23*

Sub70 659 CB 4-PW

PXG Sugar Daddy 52/56/60

Scotty Cameron Newport+ Jet Set

As long as I keep hitting fairways and out driving playing partners no reason to change.

Driver Ping G400 max 10.5 Distanza

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

Yes, with a Tour Edge EXS 220. 

I had to add 7g of weight to get it right, but it does everything the G400 Max does for the most part, the only thing I like better about the G400 Max is that it sits a touch more open at address, but other than that, the TEE EXS 220 checks all the boxes. 

Forgiving as the G400 Max ✔️
Same launch window ✔️
Looks better ✔️
sounds better ✔️

I plan on selling my G400 Max head only when I can find time to take pics and get to the post office, unfortunately work has been hindering my ability to do so, and having 3 kids under 5y isn’t helping, although my 5y old girl is showing an interest in golf now , so I’m all smiles 😃 

I thought the 400max didn't sound too bad, actually. It was noticeably different than other drivers I've played, but nowhere near as bad as the 425 lol

I did wind up replacing mine. I was getting a flatter launch, lower spin, and ultimately more distance out a 10.5* LTDx with the stock im10 shaft than I was out of a 10.5* max head and a tour 65. LTDx is not unforgiving by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd still say the Ping was easier to find a fairway with. Unfortunately, I just couldn't find the right launch window with it once I'd made a couple off-season swing changes

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, njmack said:

I thought the 400max didn't sound too bad, actually. It was noticeably different than other drivers I've played, but nowhere near as bad as the 425 lol

I did wind up replacing mine. I was getting a flatter launch, lower spin, and ultimately more distance out a 10.5* LTDx with the stock im10 shaft than I was out of a 10.5* max head and a tour 65. LTDx is not unforgiving by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd still say the Ping was easier to find a fairway with. Unfortunately, I just couldn't find the right launch window with it once I'd made a couple off-season swing changes

I agree. The G400 sounded like most other drivers. I had the G425 for less than a month. I could not stand the sound of it.  To me it went G400 Max>G410 Plus>>>>>>>>>>G425 Max

Edited by mantan

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei AV Blue 65

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Srixon ZX5 5-PW Modus 3 

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48*

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*

PING Glide 2.0 ES 58*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Bought the g400 max on whim, went through a couple of shafts and settled on a Fuji Tour Spec Atmos blue, fairway finder. Then bought a Cobra XB, sold it (swinging horribly) bought it again, reshafted it still didnt hold a candle to the ping, thats in my sons bag now. Looking to get a callaway rogue st max but the prices really havent come down so I'll wait. Not sure why but...

Wellll, I am cheating a bit on the side. The G400 Max is in the bag, but I won a Cleveland Launcher XL Lite driver and have hit it on range and some late fall play. The G400 Max is in the bag for winter simulator play, but I'll give the Cleveland a go and early spring range/golf. I replaced the Alta R shaft with a Distanza SR shaft in the G400.

Ping G400 Max, 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G400 3W & 5W, Ping G25 7W, Grafalloy Prolaunch 45 R

Adams Ovation 9W, Aldila (just added 12/4 winter experiment)
Ping G30 4H TFC 419 Ping G 5H & 6H, Alta CB (possibly replaced by irons)

Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 4-DW, Miyazaki C. Kua 60 R
Cleveland CBX2, 54°, Miyazaki C Kua 60 R
Cleveland Smart Sole 2.0, 58°, Rotex graphite R

Rife 2 Bar Blade, 34"

Srixon Soft Feel

I just bought one last week on eBay. I’ve been looking to replace the one I got rid of for a while but the prices were obnoxiously high. Saw one in really good condition for $150 and got it. Haven’t been able to use it yet due to weather but I’m hopeful it’s as good as I remember it being.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6S

Ping G425 Tensi Orange

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange

Ping G400 Steelfiber 

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I foolishly sold my first one for the promise of newer is better(425 MAX). The cake was a lie.

Then it was a bunch of try outs of drivers that claimed the same amount of forgiveness: Cobra, Tour Edge, Callaway etc. All snake oil.

There is no driver that is as forgiving and straight as the GOAT, so I had to suck it up and get another G400 MAX. All is good again.

• Like 2

I keep trying and getting fit for new ones, but nothing competes…..

until the titleist tsr2. If I knew I would hit it half as consistently as the fitting, I’d drop the $650 for it. 

but yeah the g400 continues to be so much more consistent and as long, and I’ve hit about every other major oem driver since 2019.

Ping G400 LST 10 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping G400 16.5 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping i59 4-PW - PX IO 6.0, 1” long

Vokey SM7 Jet Black 52-56-60 

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 3

I liked this driver a lot, i replaced it with the Mavrik Max which i thought was just as good if not better.

I have since replaced the Mav with 97 other things

• Haha 3

Tour Edge C722 10.5 w/Tensei Raw AV White 75

Tour Edge E722 15 w/Tensei RAW AV White 75

PXG 0311 XP 18 degree iron w/Steelfiber 115

PXG 0317 ST w/TT Elevate Tour

PXG 0311 forged 54/60 w/TT Elevate Tour

Deschamps Slick Satin / Plumbers Neck

Have not replaced it. Replaced the stock Alta CB Stiff with a Ping Tour Stiff. Better dispersion, picked up a few yards.  Haven't found anything else that performs as well.

Ping G400 Max, G20, Callaway Epic
TEE 3 Wood  Aeroburner 16.5 HL
TEE 5 Wood/ Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid
PXG 2021 0211 DC 4-PW/ Cobra Amp Cell 4-PW
Callaway MD4 50,54,58  Mizuno MP T10 Wedges 52,56,60
Scotty Cameron

pxg 0211 dc irons.jpg

Ive got a 10.5 and 9 head. I've got a weight kit with 7, 10, 13, 16 gram weights. Recently narrowed the herd of shafts to Ventus Blue, GD TP, Oban Black, Ping Tour, Aldila RIP. Driver setup is not going anywhere.

I've tested other drivers every year. Can usually get in a groove with something on a launch monitor that spins a hair less and picks up a touch of ball speed. Maybe 5-9 yards further on the best strikes between each. Might even take it outside on the range and enjoy it. Might even play a good round with it. But inevitably the bad day comes where the ball knuckles and drops left. That toe hit snaps and rolls a million miles OB. The next one is a nasty slice, and you just cant find the center if your life depended on it and the driver is punishing you for it. Then you switch back to the G400 Max, you hit that same poor strike and you hold you breath thinking its going to be OB, and its chilling in the light rough. And thats when you hug her and apologize and promise that you will never get rid of her again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PING G400 MAX 10.5*, GD AD TP 7x

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 18*, AD DI 8

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95

Srixon 585 5, Z785 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland Zipcore S400

Great driver.  I think I am spinning mine to much at this point though and am going to give the 430 lst a run.  The sound is less then desirable but performance is there.  May also try a stiffer shaft in it at some point but the 430 lst sounds so much better.

Ping G400 MAX 9  Tensei raw white 65s

Ping G425 Max 14.5  Ventus Red 7x

Ping G25 20 TFC 189s

Srixon ZX5 4i, ZX7 5-P  PX 5.5

Cleveland Zipcore 6  50,54,58 mid  PX LZ 6.0
Ping Tyne '23  34"

Pro V1/TP5

Ping Hoofer Lite

The G400 Max is a great driver. My wife has one and I love swinging that thing.

I've been trying to pick up a G400 Max head for a while (currently have a G30 and a few shafts with the Ping adapter), but these things have really kept their value. 

Instead picked up a Mizuno ST-Z 220 head to pair with a UST Chrome Elements shaft that I was originally saving for a G400 Max head. I'll be testing it out head to head with my wife's G400 Max. 

13 hours ago, mantan said:

I've had 3 separate G400 Max. I never found the magic of the first one and I've been through a LOT of drivers trying to find it.

Edit - I just got a Rogue ST Max from CPO this week. It had its maiden range session today. It was the first date, so not going to get ahead of myself.  But it's the first club I hit since my G400 Max that gave the same 'put any type of swing on it and you'll be in the fairway' confidence I remembered.

I'll take it the range again tomorrow and have a tournament on Saturday. That'll tell me a lot more.

same here, ive bought and sold 4 of them and never recaptured the magic of the 1st one. it had a UST V2 65X in it and was awesome. i am a total idiot for selling it. ughhhh

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have a G400 that I’m still playing and I’ve been know in the past for changing drivers as often as a pair of socks!! 
I was lucky enough a couple of years ago to be chosen to test the Tour Edge C721 driver here at GolfWRX but it couldn’t knock out the G400. I have hit a G400 Max for a while but prefer the G400…I’m tempted to try to find a back up G400 head this year…

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Tour Edge Exotic C712 3 wood 16.5* Ventus Red R 
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21*
  • Hybrid - Titliest 818 H1 23* Tensei Red R 
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 5-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R    
  • Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT
  •                  Callaway Jaws Full Face 56* TT  DG Spinner 115
  • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7 35”…Ping Midsize 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

Replaced mine with a TSR2, but will never sell the 400 Max.  Actually have my gamer and another new in plastic, just in case...

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2