"See if you can have your Pro get you on."

Ya kinda, usually exchange emails after and try to iron out the details. Sometimes you get ghosted, sometimes it works perfect, others they say "we can't do Saturday morning at 9:30 but if they're in town on thursday we can get them out anytime" one guy this year told us they'd love to host us but we just needed the name of one member as they allow unaccompanied but it still needs to be sanctioned by a member not the head pro. 

Still generally will come down to your home course reputation and your head pro reputation and whether or not they've made connections in the industry. My buddy befriended a couple head pros and top assistants at pga shows over the years and has been able to get us out at their places when we've been in town. 

• Like 2

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

One of my old club pros would often immediately make the call while I was standing there. The conversation usually went like this:

"Hey Joe, it's Shooter McGavin over at Bushwood CC in Podunkville, how are you? Great. Say, I've got one of my members looking to play over there on the afternoon of Tuesday the 5th, could you work him in? Oh, the ladies' member-guest is that day? How about the following afternoon? Great. 1:16pm it is, his name is Bonneville85308 and it's just him as a single. I'll let him know it will be $115, his charge number here is B69. Thanks. Bye."

*I only made these requests of my pro if the other club was of fairly similar or lower stature/prestige. My pro never got a total "no", at worst my desired dates didn't work but they would accommodate me some other time, or the unaccompanied fee was more than I was willing to pay for that course.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, smashdn said:

I see this here a bunch and no doubt it works to have that phone call connection when you are traveling to get you on some place.

My question is, how exactly does that conversation go?

- "Hey is Rick Smith available?"

- "He just walked in from giving Dr. Smegma a playing lesson.  Here he is."

- "This is Rick."

- " Hey Rick this is Bill Jenkins, head pro at Rainbow Creek CC here in Mining City Utah.  I have a good stick here at the club that is going to be in your neck of the woods for a few days at a proctology conference and he would love to see your course and get in 18, whataya say?  Next time one of your members is up here in BFE and wants to get a round in and smell the sulfur from the water I am more than happy to return the favor. "

Yeah that's pretty much the gist of it. That being said... it typically needs to be a fairly "even" trade. The Pro at Podunk Goat Track CC isn't going to phone up the shop at Merion and secure a tee time for one of his members.

I've had my pro get me on a few random private clubs over the years when I've been in that area. They are nice clubs and courses, but about the same level as my own so it wasn't really a burden to ask him to do that. Even then I still usually get him a small gift (bottle of bourbon/wine) to say thanks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

I see this here a bunch and no doubt it works to have that phone call connection when you are traveling to get you on some place.

My question is, how exactly does that conversation go?

- "Hey is Rick Smith available?"

- "He just walked in from giving Dr. Smegma a playing lesson.  Here he is."

- "This is Rick."

- " Hey Rick this is Bill Jenkins, head pro at Rainbow Creek CC here in Mining City Utah.  I have a good stick here at the club that is going to be in your neck of the woods for a few days at a proctology conference and he would love to see your course and get in 18, whataya say?  Next time one of your members is up here in BFE and wants to get a round in and smell the sulfur from the water I am more than happy to return the favor. "

Intent the same, choice of words likely different.  But, there are calls where the Pro from "no named course for no name player", may be told, reciprocal isn't acknowledged, or they can't for various reasons.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Where things really come into play is when your pro knows the other pro.  Those are especially handy.  Especially if they went through their training together or something like that.  Again, you want to be flexible in your times(like someone said, you're dreaming about 9:30 on Saturday morning), and also be clear about expectations.  Reciprocals typically carry the understanding of free round there, and we'll comp one of your members when they come here, or maybe there is a cart fee.  If you are looking for access only, but are willing to pay a guest fee, that may or may not be better/worse.

I'm fortunate to not only belong to a private club, but also to be good friends with a pro who has a pretty wide network, and he is always willing to make a call.  Thus far I've experienced the following scenarios:

1)Full/partial comp:  I've had a handful of these where either a caddy/cart fee was asked, or nothing.  In all occasions, I make sure to buy a shirt and yardage book(if they have one) as usually the pro owns the shop, and thus any business goes to his bottom line.

2)Pay a guest fee:  As simple as it sounds.  Arranged for a time, and paid a guest fee.  Not sure if it was accompanied or unaccompanied, but I had agreed to it ahead of time, so no problem.

3)Confusion.  My buddy was actually in an area somewhat close to me(he lives quite some distance from me), so we arranged to play some golf.  He reached out to a contact of his and they got us set up at a course that hosts a tour event.  There were 3 of us, as one of my roadtrip buddies came along.  Somehow the pro at the hosting course got told all three of us were pros, when only my pro buddy is.  We had been told were comped ahead of time, but when we arrived, we were asked for our cards, and we said no, we're not pros, so the pro said to charge my buddy a cart fee and myself and the roadtrip buddy paid a guest fee.  It wasn't the end of the world, but it was embarrassing for my buddy.  He felt bad we had to shell out when we didn't expect to.  

These are the times I have played when a call has been made.  There have been several nos along the way, but that is usually more about the dates I may be passing through as opposed to courses not wanting anyone there.  I do not tend to even ask about the Pine Valley/ANGC or anything that remotely comes close to those courses because that just would be a waste of his time.

I would say I look at one, maybe two times a year where I would ask him about help, and I try to do as much legwork for him as possible, so that all he has to do is make the call.  

Depending on how well you know the pro, you also want to make sure they are thanked in some way, be it a bottle of something nice, or some other gift, or, if he owns a pro shop, run all your business through him.  Without becoming transactional about things, you want to let him know any efforts are appreciated, not an "expectation of my club pro."  

• Like 3

The funnies aside, yes this is how it normally goes. Pro makes contact, if he doesn’t know the other pro he asks if they take reciprocal play. If so he sets it up and asks how they prefer to be paid - charge back to member’s club account, cash, credit card and how much it will be. Once confirmed the pro will reach out again prior to the tee time and ask if there is anything the players need to know. The players then MUST freaking show up. Like others said - buy some stuff, be likable, keep pace, treat members well. Even though you might be paying and maybe even paying a premium- the host club is the one doing you a favor. 

4 hours ago, CDM said:

HAHAHA some classic names..!

As many have noted if your request is for a course that is equal to or viewed lower in stature you normally can get on.  The pro at Duckpoop CC calling for a member to play Shinnecock is probably not going to happen.

Some of us can only aspire to play at Duckpoop CC!

• Like 1

Usually done via email in my experience.  Also, much more difficult to get on post Covid (likely do to golf demand).  It’s amazing that many top pros know each other on a first name basis (so guess it’s a rather small world).

I used to get on just about everywhere when I traveled for work (almost always mid week) including many famous and top courses.  My last go around, I tried for two different courses (one of which I played before) and couldn’t get on either (I did connect through a friend of a friend that invited me to play on the weekend at one of the courses but it was my daughters’ birthday).

Also, in my experience the caliber of club matters more the closer the course is to home.  For example, Podunk Town CC is less likely in many cases to get you on All Star CC and hour away.  However, All Star CC can likely get you on Old Money Tourney Club in the capital city.  That being said sometime Podunk Town CC can get you on All Star CC 1/2 way across the country.

• Like 1

I’ve seen the described done by phone many times. Until a few years ago. When I joined we had a 60 year in the business, well known for the area club pro, who spent his career networking and training many assistants who have went on to become head pros. Old school, Rolodex, great personality type of guy. He retired and went on to become emeritus. We now have a egotistical, selfish, d*ck, for a pro who has no connections and would be highly offended if you even asked. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

22 hours ago, jas904 said:

I’ve seen the described done by phone many times. Until a few years ago. When I joined we had a 60 year in the business, well known for the area club pro, who spent his career networking and training many assistants who have went on to become head pros. Old school, Rolodex, great personality type of guy. He retired and went on to become emeritus. We now have an egotistical, selfish, d*ck, for a pro who has no connections and would be highly offended if you even asked. 

This is unfortunately the industry trend.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 9:08 AM, jas904 said:

I’ve seen the described done by phone many times. Until a few years ago. When I joined we had a 60 year in the business, well known for the area club pro, who spent his career networking and training many assistants who have went on to become head pros. Old school, Rolodex, great personality type of guy. He retired and went on to become emeritus. We now have a egotistical, selfish, d*ck, for a pro who has no connections and would be highly offended if you even asked. 

Gone are the days of rolodexes, calligraphy and sabona bracelets its a trackman, golf genius and white belt industry now.  

side note you should have to take a calligraphy class to get your class A 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Sometimes it is much easier to just show up and put it on the Underhill's account.  

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

9 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

I mean I get the odd guy getting his panties in a bunch, but a trend?  Really?  Not saying you're wrong, just more surprised/disappointed this is a thing.

I would put it this way:  many golf pros slept though hospitality 101.  Certainly not all, but many.  This is everywhere from Club Corp to top 100 clubs.  This can be in relation to a phone call to a different club, or "You want to know if your shoes arrived?  Let me see.  Oh yea, they came in 5 weeks ago, box was hard to find because it was behind a bunch of other things.  Enjoy!"  There was no "sorry", or "oops" or "did you get the note I did not send?".  I should just be happy that I got my shoes. at a 20% discount with a 20% markup due to shipping.

I could probably write a coffee table book with stories I have heard from around the country.  Well maybe a leaflet....

Best story I have heard was a friend ran a $150k+ outing at a top 100 course where he had been a member for 10'ish years. Director of Golf did not know who he was....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

I mean I get the odd guy getting his panties in a bunch, but a trend?  Really?  Not saying you're wrong, just more surprised/disappointed this is a thing.

The trend is the egotistical selfish **** described. The bunched undies for a phone call is just one trait of the overall personality trend in the business.