JPX 923 Forged

Lefty87

21 hours ago, Lftygolfnut said:

What are some opinions of the 923HMP vs the 923F? I’m looking to switch to the forged in hopes of a more responsive face for better feedback, a thinner sole (in long irons especially), but was hoping they’d have a noticeably better feel, especially considering the price difference. 

I'm pretty much echo your thoughts, on this post plus the other thread. I currently have the 923 HMP, and yes the are mushy/squishy when centered. Some love this!

I also have the 921 Forged, and they are VERY different. Haters would say dead, lovers would say SOLID. Certainly the 923 Forged feel pretty much the same(no I have hit them, but materials of construction etc have not changed)

Also in the mix for my 2023 bag are the Ping i230's. Hoping/wondering/thinking they may split the difference between the forged and the HMP???

At some point hoping there is a i230 vs 923 forged review.

Yankees Suck

35 minutes ago, yellolab said:

I'm pretty much echo your thoughts, on this post plus the other thread. I currently have the 923 HMP, and yes the are mushy/squishy when centered. Some love this!

I also have the 921 Forged, and they are VERY different. Haters would say dead, lovers would say SOLID. Certainly the 923 Forged feel pretty much the same(no I have hit them, but materials of construction etc have not changed)

Also in the mix for my 2023 bag are the Ping i230's. Hoping/wondering/thinking they may split the difference between the forged and the HMP???

At some point hoping there is a i230 vs 923 forged review.

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the forged has a more solid feel. I guess I like a more crisp forged feel like the Wilson D9 Forged, Apex 21, ZX5 etc but I think the soles and the set makeup of the JPX line are superior, especially for LH golfers. The forged seems like the perfect combo for a low mid handicap. I can tell I’m not alone here on golfwrx looking for the perfect iron 😂

Also I watched the Mizuno video with Chris Voshall and he mentioned how the Forged plays much bigger than it is and that’s exactly the reason I’m so interested in them. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 12:49 PM, Lftygolfnut said:

What are some opinions of the 923HMP vs the 923F? I’m looking to switch to the forged in hopes of a more responsive face for better feedback, a thinner sole (in long irons especially), but was hoping they’d have a noticeably better feel, especially considering the price difference. 

Looking for more on this comparison as well as the i230. Was able to hit the ping and HMP for a short session head to head and both performed great. HMP def a bit hotter and comes off quicker. Had a 2 degree flatter descent in the sim with the HMP but also one club longer and still had good spin. Looks to be more forgiving.  Was using different shafts which could also influence the results. 

• Like 1

I demoed the Forged today and decided to keep my HMP for now. It had a more solid feel but wasn’t convincing enough to upgrade on that alone. I’d also say as far as playability that it’s a beefed up version of the tour and that the HMP is easier to hit and get distance. It really is nice though that mizuno offers so many sets to dial into every handicap range and I hope to find a need for the Forged soon. They sure were pleasing to look at too with the  aggressive lines. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lftygolfnut said:

I demoed the Forged today and decided to keep my HMP for now. It had a more solid feel but wasn’t convincing enough to upgrade on that alone. I’d also say as far as playability that it’s a beefed up version of the tour and that the HMP is easier to hit and get distance. It really is nice though that mizuno offers so many sets to dial into every handicap range and I hope to find a need for the Forged soon. They sure were pleasing to look at too with the  aggressive lines. 

Are you (or anyone in this thread) having gapping issues with the 923 HMP? Mine are terrible. Some clubs are 20 yards apart. I think I'm gonna dump them. Was thinking of trying the forged or i230 to see if they're better. 

1 hour ago, JermWRX said:

Are you (or anyone in this thread) having gapping issues with the 923 HMP? Mine are terrible. Some clubs are 20 yards apart. I think I'm gonna dump them. Was thinking of trying the forged or i230 to see if they're better. 

I’ve been researching the hmp and forged a lot for the past few weeks. The gapping numbers on the hmp will likely pose a problem for me. The forged lofts look better. But the metal changes starting at the 7 iron to gw. I’m wondering if that change creates a larger gap between the 6/7 iron. My game is good enough to play the tours. But aging is starting to affect my swing speed and I’m looking for a little distance help in a sleeker iron. Anyone own the forged and can tell me if the different metals creates a gapping issue?

22 minutes ago, LongStaff said:

I’ve been researching the hmp and forged a lot for the past few weeks. The gapping numbers on the hmp will likely pose a problem for me. The forged lofts look better. But the metal changes starting at the 7 iron to gw. I’m wondering if that change creates a larger gap between the 6/7 iron. My game is good enough to play the tours. But aging is starting to affect my swing speed and I’m looking for a little distance help in a sleeker iron. Anyone own the forged and can tell me if the different metals creates a gapping issue?

I have a order in for the 923 Forged but currently play the 921 Forged.  I don't like that Mizuno went even stronger on the 923.  In reality it doesn't make too much of a difference except you probably need to get the GW.    I ordered a 5-GW.   That GW will probably play around 125ish for me.  That isn't much difference when I played AP2 PW.  I basically look at these strong lofts as 4-pw, the difference being their is probably more bounce in the 5 iron vs the traditional 4.   So I will take the modern loft because that 5iron is probably easier to hit then a Ap2 4 iron and probably goes just as far. 

Edited by TeeTime907
  • Like 1

In the MP223 review, which has a similar shift from multi-material to single block construction, TXG commented on that very fact. Said 8-PW felt a bit dead and had to strengthen lofts for gapping.

I haven’t heard them say this for other clubs, but certainly assume the same will apply to the forget. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

On 2/4/2023 at 7:08 AM, yellolab said:
1 hour ago, LongStaff said:

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

52 minutes ago, Seidinho said:

In the MP223 review, which has a similar shift from multi-material to single block construction, TXG commented on that very fact. Said 8-PW felt a bit dead and had to strengthen lofts for gapping.

I haven’t heard them say this for other clubs, but certainly assume the same will apply to the forget. 

Hmmm so I’d have to strengthen the 7 thru pw to get a proper distance gap. Then that creates a larger gap for scoring wedges. So essentially I’d need a 5 wedge setup. Idk how I feel about that

same with P790.

I think the issue here is less the lofts and more the less-hot face construction. or a combination of both. can only be answered on a monitor. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mixedguy said:

Wrong lie angle.  On the toe you need to be more upright.  

The Mizuno lie angle is very flat. Example, 7iron Mizuno is 61.5 vs Titleist at 63 (other end of the extreme). 100% that has an impact on left (Titleist) vs right miss (mizuno). 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 9ironiscash said:

Would doing a combo set of HMP and forged be a way around gapping issues? Anyone try this? 

Hot faces definitely add to the issue. My gapping with HMP is terrible. Not sure if they're even salvageable, to be honest. They very well may end up for sale on here.

1 hour ago, JermWRX said:

Hot faces definitely add to the issue. My gapping with HMP is terrible. Not sure if they're even salvageable, to be honest. They very well may end up for sale on here.

That sucks. They were at the top of my list this year but I think I def need to hit a monitor up with the short irons before I commit. Did u find any issues with stopping power or any fliers? 

1 hour ago, 9ironiscash said:

That sucks. They were at the top of my list this year but I think I def need to hit a monitor up with the short irons before I commit. Did u find any issues with stopping power or any fliers? 

I don't have any issue with them stopping, but I naturally hit the ball very high. That's why I don't always mind lower spinning, jacked lofts. I have no issue getting a 45* or higher descent angle. I should've stopped at the loft jacked clubs when they hit 31* of loft or so on the 7 iron, though. The gaps created with a 28* 7 iron and 5* gaps between irons just don't work for me. I'm sure lots of golfers more talented than I don't mind having 16-18 yard gaps between clubs, but I just don't like it. I miss my iron sets that were 10-12 yard gaps. The HMP PW and GW are 5.5* different. So I hit the PW 140 and the GW 115. That doesn't work for me, at all. I could use a 46* gap wedge instead, but then I'm adding a wedge or shuffling the whole wedge lineup. That also would mean my fitted iron set stops at 42*. I got excited when I hit the HMP 7 iron 190 at my fitting, but I didn't think of the collateral damage through the rest of the set. My fault. I think I'll look at the Forged bent weak, or maybe the i230. I love the forgiveness of the HMP, but I just don't know if I can game them. As far as fliers, they definitely happen. I think that's a standard with these sorts of clubs. I wish I was good enough for 221's, lol.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

I don't have any issue with them stopping, but I naturally hit the ball very high. That's why I don't always mind lower spinning, jacked lofts. I have no issue getting a 45* or higher descent angle. I should've stopped at the loft jacked clubs when they hit 31* of loft or so on the 7 iron, though. The gaps created with a 28* 7 iron and 5* gaps between irons just don't work for me. I'm sure lots of golfers more talented than I don't mind having 16-18 yard gaps between clubs, but I just don't like it. I miss my iron sets that were 10-12 yard gaps. The HMP PW and GW are 5.5* different. So I hit the PW 140 and the GW 115. That doesn't work for me, at all. I could use a 46* gap wedge instead, but then I'm adding a wedge or shuffling the whole wedge lineup. That also would mean my fitted iron set stops at 42*. I got excited when I hit the HMP 7 iron 190 at my fitting, but I didn't think of the collateral damage through the rest of the set. My fault. I think I'll look at the Forged bent weak, or maybe the i230. I love the forgiveness of the HMP, but I just don't know if I can game them. As far as fliers, they definitely happen. I think that's a standard with these sorts of clubs. I wish I was good enough for 221's, lol.

Ugh. That's my fear after placing an order. At my skill level, my chance to attack pins is at that 90-140 yard distance  A 15-yard gap in that range is a big problem.  My current PW is 44* and flies around 120-125.  My 48* is my 110 club. I fear my HMs are going to be 130-115....with another 15-yard drop to my 52*.   I'd essentially go from 4 clubs covering that distance in 10-yard intervals to 3 carrying it in 15-yard intervals.

I'll see how they are when I get them. Worst case, I'll use the playability deal and get back into new Srixons with a different shaft.

Looking at my fitting numbers, we seem similar.  My 7-iron was 179 carry with 5,100 of spin and 50.5 decent angle. I'm a high ball hitter, so low spin never bothered me. My ZX5s typically stuck within a few feet of a pitch mark, even with a 5 or 6 iron. I was horny for something different and went down the Mizuno bunny trail. I've had a soft spot for them since my old beloved MX-25s.  The buzz was so good that I thought it would be a good change for this season.

Edited by mantan
  • Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

7 minutes ago, mantan said:

Ugh. That's my fear after placing an order. At my skill level, my chance to attack pins is at that 90-140 yard distannce  A 15 yard gap in that range is a big problem.  My current PW is 44* and flies around 120-125.  My 48* is my 110 club. I fear my HMs are going to be 130-115....with another 15 yard drop to my 52*.   i'd essentially go from 4 clubs covering that distance in 10 yard intervals to 3 carrying it in 15 yard intervals.

I'll see how they are when I get them. Worst case, I'll use the playability deal and get back into new Srixons with a different shaft.

I hope your mileage varies and they produce better for you. My pro shop wants me to bend the whole set to try to fix the gapping, but I worry about that. Bending an iron 1* here or there might be no biggie, but bending an entire set 2* or more makes me nervous that the changes in bounce, offset, etc. will leave me with a jumbled set of irons. I like consistency from one club to the next. 

25 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

I hope your mileage varies and they produce better for you. My pro shop wants me to bend the whole set to try to fix the gapping, but I worry about that. Bending an iron 1* here or there might be no biggie, but bending an entire set 2* or more makes me nervous that the changes in bounce, offset, etc. will leave me with a jumbled set of irons. I like consistency from one club to the next. 

Most irons are designed to allow for bending 2 degrees either way expressly to dial in gaps, spin, etc. I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve done it with no issues. I would check the yardages/spin on a monitor and go from there. 

Mizuno’s Chris Voshall said in a video last fall that they had calibrated the faces in the JPX 923 Hot Metal and Forged lineup to eliminate gapping issues. Dialed back the speed, he said, after Ian Fraser noticed he was getting expected yardages in that review. Below is the one I saw. This is a Hot Metals review but Voshall mentions the Forged having the same face tech:

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

57 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Most irons are designed to allow for bending 2 degrees either way expressly to dial in gaps, spin, etc. I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve done it with no issues. I would check the yardages/spin on a monitor and go from there. 

Mizuno’s Chris Voshall said in a video last fall that they had calibrated the faces in the JPX 923 Hot Metal and Forged lineup to eliminate gapping issues. Dialed back the speed, he said, after Ian Fraser noticed he was getting expected yardages in that review. Below is the one I saw. This is a Hot Metals review but Voshall mentions the Forged having the same face tech:

Chirs Voshall is SO freakin good at his job.  I absolutely love when's on YT content.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

51 minutes ago, TeeTime907 said:

I was just notified my sticks are in.   These 923 Forged are with the Project X LZ 6.0 shaft that I soft stepped.   So the rumor of Project X LZ out of stock seems to be old.  FYI  I put this order on the day of Pre-Order.. 

PX LZ out of stock?? I hope not. I ordered my 923 forged with LZ 6.5 about two weeks ago. 

45 minutes ago, TeeTime907 said:

I was just notified my sticks are in.   These 923 Forged are with the Project X LZ 6.0 shaft that I soft stepped.   So the rumor of Project X LZ out of stock seems to be old.  FYI  I put this order on the day of Pre-Order.. 

i’m hearing it is the Project X Rifles that are scarce right now. Asked about it in a few different heads and it is not a current option. But they all said it will be back in stock in about 6 weeks. With all the new shafts released the past 10 years, it says a lot that the Rifle continues to be quite popular. 

PX LZ 6.0 soft-stepped is also my fit in that shaft. It’s got a very smooth feel, does not feel heavy, is my favorite 120g shaft. At 115g, I like the Rifle 5.5, which is still pretty darn stiff. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches