2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

JPX 923 Forged

Lefty87

2 hours ago, TeeTime907 said:

I would check with them or take a grip off and check if you can. I ordered irons from Mizuno, soft-stepped once, last year and when they arrived there was nothing on the label to indicate it was done. But when I pulled off one grip and checked the shaft ID, they indeed were soft-stepped. My label looked just like yours. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

19 minutes ago, renobleiii said:

The forged and tour have been released for sale. Got an email this morning from golf galaxy, and quickly looking at a few other places, they’re for sale instead of pre-order. 

Hopefully this means my irons come soon!

Ordered mine 1/24 and scheduled to arrive tomorrow…hope this helps.

11 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I would check with them or take a grip off and check if you can. I ordered irons from Mizuno, soft-stepped once, last year and when they arrived there was nothing on the label to indicate it was done. But when I pulled off one grip and checked the shaft ID, they indeed were soft-stepped. My label looked just like yours. 

thanks for that info.  Actually from the Facebook Mizuno forum a guy was able to confirm the soft stepping.  You are correct nothing on the box shows that and there wasn't any spec paper in the box.

43 minutes ago, pricenicky said:

Just got my custom made 923 forged 5-pw with mmt 60 regs  today.Hit them on the range.Will play in a couple days and advise. My dealer here in Florida has heads available for builds.

In your range session, did you happen to hit any of the 8-pw irons? How do they feel? Do ya think they will match up well with the hotter faces of the 5-7?

This is more of a feel and look review.  I have no real numbers because of the current simulator issue.  However I have probably hit a few hundred balls off a matt with 923F.  This is a comparison with current 921 Forged Which I can tell a difference.  They are both shafted with a PX LZ 6.0 Soft Stepped.

As reviews have mentioned this isn't a big update from the 921F to 923F.  This is what I can tell between them.  923F head is a not as long.  I would say there about 2mm shorter. It seems more with the 5-7 then 8-pw.  The toe on the 923F is taller.    The top line is narrower but not by a lot.  You can tell, but it's not a lot.   The 923F has more beveled edge (rounded).  Very noticeable.  Not as sharp as the 921F.   There is obvious changes to the back.  I like they put the Mizuno logo back on the head. 

In the feel category goes to 923F.  They have a softer feel to me. Like 921F is a 8.5 and 923F is a 10.  However I can tell a difference they feel really solid. for someone reason the chromeoly 5-7 feel really good.  I think that's why the HMP are so popular.  The lower clubs are as good as it gets.  I'm taking a boys trip down to the desert at the end of the month.  We will see how they do. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 9:49 PM, LongStaff said:

In your range session, did you happen to hit any of the 8-pw irons? How do they feel? Do ya think they will match up well with the hotter faces of the 5-7?

did range time and played 9 last night. Hit many shots.Could not tell difference in feel through the set.Great flight and bite

13 hours ago, pullfade said:

Got mine yesterday...923 forged..4-GW...all stock specs with dg105 s300. 

These and i230 were on my shortlist, but for me i230 spin too much. 923 had better ballspeed and distance, but also stronger lofts. 

Putting the 923 into play tomorrow, so watch BST in the afternoon😅

Did u demo the 923 HMPs at all? 

16 hours ago, pullfade said:

Got mine yesterday...923 forged..4-GW...all stock specs with dg105 s300. 

These and i230 were on my shortlist, but for me i230 spin too much. 923 had better ballspeed and distance, but also stronger lofts. 

Putting the 923 into play tomorrow, so watch BST in the afternoon😅

How did the 923 compare looks-wise at address to the i230? Did it seem much larger? Also, how did forgiveness compare?

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

How did the 923 compare looks-wise at address to the i230? Did it seem much larger? Also, how did forgiveness compare?

Very comparable in size and forgiveness. However, being a fan of Ping I have a hard time saying Mizuno looks better...especially in the wedges. That's not knocking the performance of the Mizuno...they are really good...just my preference. I think Srixon is one of the only Japanese forgings that I enjoy the shape of.

I played the 923's today for the first time...no warmup...right to the tee. If you see my BST listings you know I am a total nut job when it comes to irons. Having said that, these will be in the bag for 2023. Bold statement, but these did everything I asked of them.

2 to 3 club wind today. Could hit them high and low, left or right, and was pin high on all but a couple of questionable strikes. Those were still on the green. Also, I am a sweeper and struggle with most "players distance" irons due to the sole. Not these. Perfect turf interaction. Reminded me of t100s but with more forgiveness. The i230 were almost a club short for me...these were spot on...and consistent....no issues between 4-7 and 8-GW.

As always you need to try for yourself....but IMO Mizuno did a great job with these.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pullfade said:

Very comparable in size and forgiveness. However, being a fan of Ping I have a hard time saying Mizuno looks better...especially in the wedges. That's not knocking the performance of the Mizuno...they are really good...just my preference. I think Srixon is one of the only Japanese forgings that I enjoy the shape of.

I played the 923's today for the first time...no warmup...right to the tee. If you see my BST listings you know I am a total nut job when it comes to irons. Having said that, these will be in the bag for 2023. Bold statement, but these did everything I asked of them.

2 to 3 club wind today. Could hit them high and low, left or right, and was pin high on all but a couple of questionable strikes. Those were still on the green. Also, I am a sweeper and struggle with most "players distance" irons due to the sole. Not these. Perfect turf interaction. Reminded me of t100s but with more forgiveness. The i230 were almost a club short for me...these were spot on...and consistent....no issues between 4-7 and 8-GW.

As always you need to try for yourself....but IMO Mizuno did a great job with these.

Had a fitting yesterday, and have similar feedback.  i230s were a club shorter and wanted to go left.  T100s and 923 Forged were similar with a slight edge towards the 923 Forged for me (similar to PullFade, I’m sweeper) and the stronger lofts brought down my launch and spin.  

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* -  Ventus Black TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus Blue TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 19* - Ventus Blue TR
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

3 hours ago, wobgon said:

I think if Mizuno made the JPX forged with more of the look and finish of the JPX tour, they would sell like crazy.

Agree 100%. The forged look super busy on the back and looks as if they’re not a Players (distance) club. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

4 hours ago, pullfade said:

What were your thoughts on the 8-pw? Do they match up well with the hotter metal on the 4-7?

@nvr3putt - I agree in terms of turf interaction.  I'd put the T100 in the same category as the 923 Tour, the T100s is more similar to the Pro 223.  The 923 Forged is stronger lofted than the T100s by a degree or two depending on the club, so the T100s should launch a bit higher with more spin compared to the 923 Forged.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* -  Ventus Black TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus Blue TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 19* - Ventus Blue TR
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

Hit these side by side with i230 yesterday - at least the 7 irons.  923 was 10-15 yards longer, but makes sense with the 30* loft vs 33* in ping.  My miss tends to be left, and the mizunos reflected that...was really surprised that although shorter in distance, the higher flight went straight consistently on the i230s.  I will also be trying out the zx5/7 mkii in an upcoming fitting - curious to see which comes out on top.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, renobleiii said:

For those who have their 923 Forged, are you seeing any difference in the short irons with the different materials? I am still getting used to mine, but I see a big gap in 8 and 9 iron, and between 7 and 8. Could be me, and it’ll get better over the next few weeks. 

I'm very disappointed in my Mizuno irons. I got a set of 923 HMP and the gapping was atrocious. I worked with my local pro shop and also did some self fitting. I got rid of HMP 8-G and replaced them with 923 Forged. Gaps are still terrible. I weakened some lofts, but I just think these sets are poorly designed. They shouldn't need so much tweaking which changes offset and turf interaction, just to try to get some sort of manageable gaps. Shop owner says that lots of folks are bringing them back to be adjusted. The front to back dispersion for a single iron is fine. The gaps between irons is awful. 20 yard gaps between some, and 8 yard gaps between others is unplayable. Very disappointed in my purchase. Probably going to eat the money loss in trading them in and go for i230. Shop owner had one customer who added a 921 Forged PW and GW to his 923 HMP 5-PW set just to try to make the gaps work. So they're carrying 2 PW's, 923 HMP at 42* and 921 Forged at 46*. 921 Forged GW at 50*. 

1 minute ago, JermWRX said:

I'm very disappointed in my Mizuno irons. I got a set of 923 HMP and the gapping was atrocious. I worked with my local pro shop and also did some self fitting. I got rid of HMP 8-G and replaced them with 923 Forged. Gaps are still terrible. I weakened some lofts, but I just think these sets are poorly designed. They shouldn't need so much tweaking which changes offset and turf interaction, just to try to get some sort of manageable gaps. Shop owner says that lots of folks are bringing them back to be adjusted. The front to back dispersion for a single iron is fine. The gaps between irons is awful. 20 yard gaps between some, and 8 yard gaps between others is unplayable. Very disappointed in my purchase. Probably going to eat the money loss in trading them in and go for i230. Shop owner had one customer who added a 921 Forged PW and GW to his 923 HMP 5-PW set just to try to make the gaps work. So they're carrying 2 PW's, 923 HMP at 42* and 921 Forged at 46*. 921 Forged GW at 50*. 

I’m very scared this might be me.