2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

JPX 923 Forged

Lefty87

19 hours ago, JermWRX said:

I'm very disappointed in my Mizuno irons. I got a set of 923 HMP and the gapping was atrocious. I worked with my local pro shop and also did some self fitting. I got rid of HMP 8-G and replaced them with 923 Forged. Gaps are still terrible. I weakened some lofts, but I just think these sets are poorly designed. They shouldn't need so much tweaking which changes offset and turf interaction, just to try to get some sort of manageable gaps. Shop owner says that lots of folks are bringing them back to be adjusted. The front to back dispersion for a single iron is fine. The gaps between irons is awful. 20 yard gaps between some, and 8 yard gaps between others is unplayable. Very disappointed in my purchase. Probably going to eat the money loss in trading them in and go for i230. Shop owner had one customer who added a 921 Forged PW and GW to his 923 HMP 5-PW set just to try to make the gaps work. So they're carrying 2 PW's, 923 HMP at 42* and 921 Forged at 46*. 921 Forged GW at 50*. 

Sounds awful, but read some of the same regarding the MP223. Looks like Mizuno has not done a good job with the transition between multi-material construction vs single piece clubs. I haven't come across similar issues for some of the  other brands who do that.  

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

42 minutes ago, Seidinho said:

Sounds awful, but read some of the same regarding the MP223. Looks like Mizuno has not done a good job with the transition between multi-material construction vs single piece clubs. I haven't come across similar issues for some of the  other brands who do that.  

I wish they made one MP single material, traditional loft cavity back. Basically bring back the MP53 with copper. 

Between the issues with the P770 and this with Mizuno, + some of the stories about cobra not installing the grips right, things are kind of a mess all around. 

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

43 minutes ago, Seidinho said:

Between the issues with the P770 and this with Mizuno, + some of the stories about cobra not installing the grips right, things are kind of a mess all around. 

Crazy. I always thought of Mizuno being top of the heap when it came to quality. So far I haven't read anything but rave reviews about the i230. I'm not exactly psyched about dropping 1500 on irons when I just blew about the same on my Mizuno's, but I'm definitely thinking about it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

Crazy. I always thought of Mizuno being top of the heap when it came to quality. So far I haven't read anything but rave reviews about the i230. I'm not exactly psyched about dropping 1500 on irons when I just blew about the same on my Mizuno's, but I'm definitely thinking about it.

I’m still waiting for my order to ship and arrive. I do expect to have some lofts adjusted after I receive them. 4-5 hmp, 7-gw forged. I ordered the 4,5,gw 1 weak from the factory. I’ll do an extensive gapping session on trackman at the course I work at. Then take to local shop for adjustments. Gapping is becoming more of an issue nowadays with the strong lofts and hot faces. But if ya can get them dialed in, the distance gains are nice for someone getting older like myself. 

53 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

I’ve had a number of issues with mizunos not coming with the correct specs from the factory over the past couple years. Unfortunately, not sure there is a better option. 

On 3/1/2023 at 8:02 PM, JermWRX said:

I'm very disappointed in my Mizuno irons. I got a set of 923 HMP and the gapping was atrocious. I worked with my local pro shop and also did some self fitting. I got rid of HMP 8-G and replaced them with 923 Forged. Gaps are still terrible. I weakened some lofts, but I just think these sets are poorly designed. They shouldn't need so much tweaking which changes offset and turf interaction, just to try to get some sort of manageable gaps. Shop owner says that lots of folks are bringing them back to be adjusted. The front to back dispersion for a single iron is fine. The gaps between irons is awful. 20 yard gaps between some, and 8 yard gaps between others is unplayable. Very disappointed in my purchase. Probably going to eat the money loss in trading them in and go for i230. Shop owner had one customer who added a 921 Forged PW and GW to his 923 HMP 5-PW set just to try to make the gaps work. So they're carrying 2 PW's, 923 HMP at 42* and 921 Forged at 46*. 921 Forged GW at 50*. 

If you don’t mind me asking, what were your gapping issues and yardages with the HMP? I picked them up and had a nice round outside (trip to FL) but won’t be able to get back outside for weeks living in New England. 

1 minute ago, this_is_golf said:

If you don’t mind me asking, what were your gapping issues and yardages with the HMP? I picked them up and had a nice round outside (trip to FL) but won’t be able to get back outside for weeks living in New England. 

Averages within a couple yards:

5i  200

6i 180

7i 175

8i 165

9i 145

PW 140

GW 120

I feel your pain of being in NE. I'm on my way to Arizona in a couple of weeks and I'm counting the days!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, klebs01 said:

I wish they made one MP single material, traditional loft cavity back. Basically bring back the MP53 with copper. 

Jpx 923 tour is your club.  I'm loving mine.  Exactly what you described.  

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood 

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

1 hour ago, bogeypro said:

Jpx 923 tour is your club.  I'm loving mine.  Exactly what you described.  

i feel like the tours are a bit less forgiving / more player‘s cb style, than Zx7, T100, i230. Probably more in the P7MC bucket. 

• Like 2

Any updates on this. Looking to pickup a used set of 921F or 923F. Does the 923F warrant the extra cash? Been doing my research and some say not much and some say they are better. Coming from P790’s. I need that loving feeling!! 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• 2 weeks later...

The Pings aren’t the longest, but dang if they aren’t the most dependable. 

Edited by onafriday

TSR3 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

Black Ops 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

009 Welded 1.5

25 minutes ago, AC810 said:

Interesting to hear gapping issues with Mizuno. I just went on a golf trip and first rounds played with my new 223s. 6 was going barely any farther than 7, and PW was about 5 yards long than my 50° GW. 

It's definitely a bummer for those of us that like Mizuno. It's clearly a big issue. I'm not sure where to go next. I think I'm gonna try i230, if I can get used to clubs that are shorter than what my bag is set up for. Might have to ditch the 3W to add a 4 hybrid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AC810 said:

Interesting to hear gapping issues with Mizuno. I just went on a golf trip and first rounds played with my new 223s. 6 was going barely any farther than 7, and PW was about 5 yards long than my 50° GW. 

With the QC issues that have been talked about it could be a loft issue, I never trust any OEM to get it right from the factory.

Way too many instances of lofts and lies being all over the place, I even had some Miura's (TC 201) way off and they are supposed to be the gold standard, now they were built by a secondary but highly respected builder so it could have happened there, but still it sucks for those of us (most of us) that do not have a L/ L machine or easy access to one that also can be trusted to not damage the clubs while doing the checking and adjusting. 

Edited by Jim53
  • Like 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

1 hour ago, Jim53 said:

With the QC issues that have been talked about it could be a loft issue, I never trust any OEM to get it right from the factory.

Way too many instances of lofts and lies being all over the place, I even had some Miura's (TC 201) way off and they are supposed to be the gold standard, now they were built by a secondary but highly respected builder so it could have happened there, but still it sucks for those of us (most of us) that do not have a L/ L machine or easy access to one that also can be trusted to not damage the clubs while doing the checking and adjusting. 

Just my experience, but I had my lofts and lies checked and they were spot on to factory built specs. Gapping is still awful.

• Like 1

I’ve only been able to hit these a bit at the range so far so can’t speak to distance gaping but these feel perfectly fine to me on pure shots. I see a lot of comparisons in feel to models with copper underlay but I think they’re more than adequate and not a whole lot different to the 223’s I’ve hit previously. 

10 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

This gapping talk is scaring 😨 the gap out of me. Sounds awful but im curious at the same time because everyone is different. Its just hard to hear such issues.

It is indeed disheartening to hear.  I am probably going to do an iron fitting soon and I'd really like to test the Forged.  The 921 looks wise just did not do it for me....

I'd like to know the average 7 swing speed of those with and without gapping issues. It is just a guess but I wonder if the gapping issues are primarily higher swing speed players.  I like the idea of a progressive set of irons but not everybody needs help at the same iron within the set.  Those with higher swing speeds need less help which I suspect it is the cause of the gapping issues.  There might be a breakeven point where players with swing speeds north of certain swing speed should not even consider the Forged set. 

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

14 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

This gapping talk is scaring 😨 the gap out of me. Sounds awful but im curious at the same time because everyone is different. Its just hard to hear such issues.

I’m very curious as well with everyone’s gapping issues. Is it simply the difference in club materials? Is it weighting and cog location? Lofts usually will dictate distance but is material’s used is offsetting the lofts? I’ve had these for about a month and haven’t really noticed the gapping issues others have had? Could definitely be the player and not the club I suppose.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max - Denali Black 6.0

Callaway Paradym 3W - PX Black 6.0

PXG 0311 5W - PX Black 6.0

Srixon ZX4 4-6 - DGS400TI

Srixon ZX5 7-8 - DGS400TI

Srixon ZX7 9-PW - DGS400TI

Taylormade MG3 54 & 58 DGS400

Taylormade Spider X Hydroblast

Titleist PROV1

Vessel 2.0 Stand Bag

6 hours ago, Jmccas said:

It is indeed disheartening to hear.  I am probably going to do an iron fitting soon and I'd really like to test the Forged.  The 921 looks wise just did not do it for me....

I'd like to know the average 7 swing speed of those with and without gapping issues. It is just a guess but I wonder if the gapping issues are primarily higher swing speed players.  I like the idea of a progressive set of irons but not everybody needs help at the same iron within the set.  Those with higher swing speeds need less help which I suspect it is the cause of the gapping issues.  There might be a breakeven point where players with swing speeds north of certain swing speed should not even consider the Forged set. 

Thats exactly what i was thinking. Maybe its effecting only high swing speed players? I swing driver 94 to tops 99 so im just average. Not sure what that translates to 7 iron but i know it aint fast. 

2 hours ago, Kdgolf said:

I’m very curious as well with everyone’s gapping issues. Is it simply the difference in club materials? Is it weighting and cog location? Lofts usually will dictate distance but is material’s used is offsetting the lofts? I’ve had these for about a month and haven’t really noticed the gapping issues others have had? Could definitely be the player and not the club I suppose.

Are you fast or average swing speed? Glad someone is hitting normal distances.

• Like 1

I’m curious if those with gapping issues have had their lies and lofts checked and adjusted before claiming they have gapping issues. I think we all know OEM finished specs don’t always end up bang on the OEM’s published spec. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

4 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Are you fast or average swing speed? Glad someone is hitting normal distances.

Yes, so fast… 😒

Probably just haven’t had enough time with them to find out.

Titleist PROV1

Vessel 2.0 Stand Bag

1 hour ago, benz5521 said:

Or you could just suck like me and gapping issues aren’t a concern because you aren’t consistent enough to notice. 

Likely my case

Titleist PROV1

Vessel 2.0 Stand Bag

On 3/21/2023 at 7:06 PM, Jim53 said:

this is my solution. Just bought a L/L machine over the winter. Confirmed my gapping issues (mizunos, but not 923 forged). Glad I can fix them now. 

• Like 1