2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Grant and Micah going Taylormade!

mkidding

Sorry for being a fan boy - TM is always my fav brand ever since the first time I had to use their warranty service on my own club.

Sorry for my earlier speculation of them going to Cobra --- it's actually TM who signed them!

Glad to see TM signing two of my fav YouTube golfer, together with Nelly and Brooke. They are certainly making some great moves!

Did our Kingdom folks run into them during the week? @taylormade

image.png.095dfe9320a209ebb926c47a27e9c149.png

Paradym 9 + Vanquish

Stealth 2+ 3w + Ventus Blue

Callaway UT 2024 Tour Issue 18 + KBS PGH

Mizuno 923 Tour 4-P + ProjectX LZ

Cleveland RTX 6 50 55 60

Toulon Design Vista + BGT Tour Stability

Btw is Micah really switching to Ventus Red? Very curious if he's range fitting data would ever be released. Hard to imagine him needing a "high launch" shaft

• Like 3

Paradym 9 + Vanquish

Cleveland RTX 6 50 55 60

1 hour ago, mkidding said:

Btw is Micah really switching to Ventus Red? Very curious if he's range fitting data would ever be released. Hard to imagine him needing a "high launch" shaft

I mean it really comes down to what launch and spin he is getting with the driver.

George Bryan got fit into the Ventus red by Mr wunder and Matt from TXG has had one in a few videos. 

• Like 3

I'm closer to 50 than 40, and far removed from their target demographic but I don't mind their videos when they play matches against quality opposition. Same applies for the other youtubers  - always interested to see the difference in skill when they go up against playing pro's.

This does raise the question of where companies now consider where marketing budgets should be spent. WIth TM also pushing into the LPGA and now the YT market - are we seeing a paradigm 😉  shift in the endorsement arena? Does the average non-golfwrx consumer relate more to the YT golfer i.e. more eyeballs than on traditional TV coverage?

My kids got into the NFL just by watching highlights on YT and playing Madden, even though they have never been exposed to it before hand and we live in Norway so it's not really a thing here. They got into F1 thanks to Netflix, and now only listen to podcasts and YT videos - they're not bothered about the race since it takes so long and the highlights are available right after. Is the golf coverage space seeing this trend as well?

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

3 hours ago, TiScape said:

Well thanks for a constructive response Red! GolfWRX is the only social media I partake in and am not in my teens or 20s. So for me it’s a bit of a head scratcher. But I also SMH when I see kids scrolling non-stop on TikTok and Insta. But I get it. They are essentially influencers and the youts are, well influenced by them! Lol

I’d honestly be more interested in what a random Korn Ferry Tour player uses since they are, well you know, a professional golfer as opposed to a social media influencer. But hey, call me old fashioned. 
/cdn-cgi/mirage/ec9047117d3fb4474b324f5bc462fc3f50491661de4c02ba51709abb831e3725/1440/cdn-cgi/mirage/ec9047117d3fb4474b324f5bc462fc3f50491661de4c02ba51709abb831e3725/1440/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/image.gif.b5ba7132e00236dd50b294d3ed357cdd.gif

You asked a question, got mad at an emoji claiming you needed a response, and then provided your own response….

You don’t care, and that’s certainly fair.  I’m in my 40’s and watch these guys videos, but don’t really care too much about what clubs they play.  
For what it’s worth, Grant is a stick and Micah has some interesting things about his swing.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jomatty said:

You asked a question, got mad at an emoji claiming you needed a response, and then provided your own response….

You don’t care, and that’s certainly fair.  I’m in my 40’s and watch these guys videos, but don’t really care too much about what clubs they play.  
For what it’s worth, Grant is a stick and Micah has some interesting things about his swing.  

I got mad???! Lol. Reading my responses, I’m at a loss to see how in the world you came to that conclusion. But hey whatever. Enjoy your YouTube videos. And at least we agree on not caring about what clubs they play! Which after all was my point. I never put down the content. And to anyone out there that cares what they play and are influenced to purchase it because of them. That’s most certainly your choice too make. (Smile emoji) 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 2

My genuine feeling is that Micah and Grant are good golfers, and Micah is also videoing his way of playing in mini tours and trying to get into the Korn Ferry at some point (I really hope he could make it as he really put in the effort)

I appreciate YT especially from these actually quite serious golfers (I know there are a bunch of YT golfers that are completely on the other end of the spectrum), because I can rarely find any videos footage of shot-to-shot progress and, most importantly, mistakes they made on the course and how they (try to) recover from those mistakes. These are things you don't get to see much on Golf Channel IMO.

Again it's just me. I do hope the serious YT golfers can pick up the good sponsorships, increase their influence, and influence more people, esp youth, into the game of golf. My $0.02 

• Like 1

Paradym 9 + Vanquish

Cleveland RTX 6 50 55 60

6 hours ago, TiScape said:

Pardon my ignorance. But are we talking about the guys that have golf videos on YouTube? If so, were they/are they top D1 golfers or Korn Ferry/professionals or something?? Or do we now actually care what clubs YouTube amateur golfers play??? Asking for a friend.

Sponsorship is marketing, pure and simple. Personally it really doesn't do much for me but I am in the outlier as there is data that helps continue to perpetuate high ad budgets that they somehow work.

Grant was a college golfer, certainly scratch but neither he nor Micah are next level. In the few videos with them and Kwon, you can just see the difference in how Kwon plays vs. them. Can they elevate? Perhaps but that is not the purpose of the deal.

They can release a few videos a week and get more views than viewers of a regular PGA event: that is the eyeballs TM is paying for here.

Everyone is different, I find value and entertainment in some of the videos and play them often in the background on my computer, which is another thing that youtube does: it allows for more portability and your own time vs. sitting down for a broadcast event. 

We are all assuming this deal was in the works, or at least potentially there, when Grant decided to leave GG as they were also negotiating and well, if that is the case sure there is reason to leave when there is a bigger bag of money along with independence vs. being part of a gang of folks you may want to break away from anyway. But that is all speculation which is what we do on the interwebs. 🙂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mkidding said:

I guess he's not a golfwrx member. Otherwise he would game the deepest black Ventus 300 gram XXXXXXX-stiff and tipped 12 inches!

• Like 1

YT golf isn't going away; in fact I expect it to only grow. That's why you're now seeing more tour pro's either with their own channel or playing matches with influencers.

People can hate all they want, but it's essentially just more golf for us to watch, and what's wrong with that?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TiScape said:

Pardon my ignorance. But are we talking about the guys that have golf videos on YouTube? If so, were they/are they top D1 golfers or Korn Ferry/professionals or something?? Or do we now actually care what clubs YouTube amateur golfers play??? Asking for a friend.

The manufacturers have just caught on that youtubers who get hundreds of thousands of views, are better marketing for their product than golfers ranked 1497th in the world playing on the KF tour. 

I'm not saying I agree, or that one party is more or less deserving than the other... but it certainly makes sense business wise to get more eyes (young eyes) on your product. 

Its no different than TM sending brand new drivers to "influencers" and people in the business who not only have the funds to easily afford a new driver themselves, but also have connections in the biz. It kinda makes me sick to see millionaires get free 700 dollar drivers when for normal folks its a weeks paycheque.

But, I understand why, marketing.... and we know TM are the kings of marketing.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I wanted to jump in and say "who the heck are these guys?" and "uggh, social media influencers? Really?". 

But then I realized I love Rick Shiels and his content. It's just different strokes for different folks. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

43 minutes ago, Roody said:

I wanted to jump in and say "who the heck are these guys?" and "uggh, social media influencers? Really?". 

But then I realized I love Rick Shiels and his content. It's just different strokes for different folks. 

As a fellow Rick Shiels fan, I wonder if he would be next to get a deal..... I am guessing he is more lenient to sign one though, after the Nike clothing sponsor details came out and that is why he no longer wears it. He does like his Brand for what he made it.

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

Micah can bomb the ball and has over 200K followers.  I would 100% expect manufactures to get him on board.  Berkshire is trying to get him to do long drive comps too.  

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

Is there anything more boring than an entire bag tricked out with the latest 2023 gear, all from one OEM? 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

7 hours ago, KimmerBH said:

I honestly don't get the appeal of these YT golfers at all. I've never once met a golfer that wanted to buy clubs because of what people like this use. I guess if you want to corner the 12-16 year old social media obsessed kids that know nothing about golf market they might be useful lol. Micah especially I don't get. He's got to be the most overrated golfer on YT by far.

I am such a hater and I know I am when it comes to these guys. But to me the whole running and screaming down the fairway when someone sticks in to 4 ft just makes no sense to me. (yes the par 4 hole in one is super sick, don't come for me about that). I'm 27, played D1, never good enough to chase it, but still competed at a very high level. So in theory I should be right in line with related to these guys, but they just flat out grind my gears. GoodGood is however AMAZING for the growth of the game. I can't tell you how many sets of Mizuno's I saw last year in bags of most if not all 15 and under handicaps because they fell in love with golf during Covid and saw that's what the GoodGood guys (Garrett and Grant) played. So @TiScape this is basically the new age Rory to Nike, Tiger to Nike, Jordan to Nike move. Right now these guys are absolutely dominating the Social Media golf market so it's an absolute no brainer. It's crazy to think that the needle doesn't move as much anymore for Tour guys switching versus "Golf Content Creators" but that's just the way it is I guess. I mean I love the BustaJack guys, and I sit hear and rant about GoodGood, BustaJack was the reason I tried PXG and now I play a full bag. I don't play them to be like them, but it was the exposure that got me interested. 

Hope this helps, 

Cheers boys!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TiScape said:

You joke, but entertainment is the future and golf has to find it's place within that. 

The number of people who are getting popular on social media is exploding right now. Many channels on YouTube are beginning to mature and have Sub counts in the hundreds of thousands or even millions. Many people are watching that more than actual golf. 

We may already be at a point where the majority of golf "content" is actually YouTube type stuff. I know for me, it's all YouTube golf channels and LPGA tournaments that I watch. 

What does this mean for OEMs? I'm not sure--and I doubt they know either so they're hedging their bets. 

I know that it's still way more important to have Rory under contract than a YouTube star, but how many more Rory's will there honestly be? And how much product do B-level professionals actually help push? Is anyone buying product because of Tony Finau, for instance? 

Could be we're just heading for a world where it's harder to popularize drivers? In a world where Tour stars just aren't as influential (thinking 2030s and beyond), how would you sell clubs?! And what happens when more affordable brands start invading the space? We've already begun to see that with gloves and balls with Kirkland, Snell, and many other new OEMs whose main goal is to undercut the ProV1.

It could be we're in for a collapse where the bubble bursts for these big-name OEMs in the next couple decades? 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 2

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

3 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

You joke, but entertainment is the future and golf has to find it's place within that. 

The number of people who are getting popular on social media is exploding right now. Many channels on YouTube are beginning to mature and have Sub counts in the hundreds of thousands or even millions. Many people are watching that more than actual golf. 

We may already be at a point where the majority of golf "content" is actually YouTube type stuff. I know for me, it's all YouTube golf channels and LPGA tournaments that I watch. 

What does this mean for OEMs? I'm not sure--and I doubt they know either so they're hedging their bets. 

I know that it's still way more important to have Rory under contract than a YouTube star, but how many more Rory's will there honestly be? And how much product do B-level professionals actually help push? Is anyone buying product because of Tony Finau, for instance? 

Could be we're just heading for a world where it's harder to popularize drivers? In a world where Tour stars just aren't as influential (thinking 2030s and beyond), how would you sell clubs?! And what happens when more affordable brands stand invading the space? We've already begun to see that with gloves and balls.

It could be we're in for a collapse where the bubble bursts for these OEMs in the next couple decades.  

Well said man

1 hour ago, RCGA said:

Is there anything more boring than an entire bag tricked out with the latest 2023 gear, all from one OEM? 

Nope. Its unfortunate.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

1 hour ago, RCGA said:

If an OEM wanted to pay me, I'd put in the entire bag's worth of new clubs myself.  No pride there on my part! BUT, I agree w/ you in that it lacks any personality at all.  If you don't have a club that's at least 7 years old and beat to $hit, are you even a serious player 🤣

2 hours ago, Cellis said:

As a fellow Rick Shiels fan, I wonder if he would be next to get a deal..... I am guessing he is more lenient to sign one though, after the Nike clothing sponsor details came out and that is why he no longer wears it. He does like his Brand for what he made it.

I believe Rick has been offered multiple deals, however, I think he has decided to remain a free agent as it adds credibility to his reviews and allows him to play whatever fits his game. 

As a viewer, it's hard to believe you are getting a true review and honest opinion of a club if the guy talking about it is getting paid by the brand. 

Edited by Flip4000
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MelloYello said:

Could be we're just heading for a world where it's harder to popularize drivers? In a world where Tour stars just aren't as influential (thinking 2030s and beyond), how would you sell clubs?! And what happens when more affordable brands start invading the space? We've already begun to see that with gloves and balls with Kirkland, Snell, and many other new OEMs whose main goal is to undercut the ProV1.

It could be we're in for a collapse where the bubble bursts for these big-name OEMs in the next couple decades? 

I'd also argue on a daily basis, YouTubers and influencers probably have more touch points with the audience than say their superstars. They are likely more relatable as they are normal people and they do move the needle. Youtubers are posting content almost every day to a golf brands target demographic, where the tour players are only really getting in front of people on the weekends. Mizuno grabbing Garrett and Grant was an excellent investment for the brand in the last year and now the big money deeper pocket brands want in. 

Edited by Flip4000
  • Like 2