Scotty Cameron Super Select Putters for March 2023

clfergus

You'd think after Scotty Cameron has made more money/had more success with his putters on tour than pretty much any company in history (especially in the past three years. Revenue has gone up like 400%), he'd feel more secure with his branding. Instead, he has completely erased the Titleist name from his putters, and now he makes his name even BIGGER. We see "Scotty Cameron" on grips, shaft bands, putter face, putter sole, putter cover, the I-Beam neck engraving, and have the unmistakeable three dots (now BIGGER) on the back. I feel like I'd *never in a million years* feel the need to plaster my name on the same product SIX different times...one should be enough. 

I honestly wanted to buy a Del Mar this year, but if I do, it definitely won't be from the Super Select line purely because I can't stand all the branding.

Edited by putt_for_dough
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Goofy Stance

Driver: 9° Ping G410 with Ping Tour 65X

3H: 20° Cobra Baffler DWS

Irons: Mizuno MP60 3-PW with DG X100

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52° - 56° - 60° 

Putters: Compass Golf Atwood

4 hours ago, So_Cal said:

Titleist needs to offer a separate line for those of use who like the Titleist brand.  I would prefer a Titleist copy of the Anser 2 with simple branding.  I would pay a premium for it not to say Cameron everywhere. 

Have you considered a circle T?

• Thanks 1

TM SIM 8* Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TS2 16.5* Ventus Black 7x

Mizuno MP-32 3-PW S300

Titleist Vokey SM6 52*F, 56*F, 60*S
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 34/340g

8 hours ago, So_Cal said:

Titleist needs to offer a separate line for those of use who like the Titleist brand.  I would prefer a Titleist copy of the Anser 2 with simple branding.  I would pay a premium for it not to say Cameron everywhere. 

I would love this! That being said, I would settle for the older branding of the 90s/early 00's Scotty's. Loved when they had Titleist in the cavity and the old Scotty Cameron crown logo. Very elegant and sophisticated. 

Edited by CoolBreeze
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2023 at 9:50 PM, wayward_points said:

Hello there...

20230314_214651.jpg

20230314_214658.jpg

20230314_214706.jpg

Width , face to back ,  diff btw the select and super ?

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

On 2/2/2023 at 8:25 AM, mjo23 said:

Anyone complaining had way too high of expectations, he rarely makes drastic changes year-to-year and the releases are always boring. But at least he doesn’t devalue previous Scotty generations

People seem down on the plus models, but I’m seeing a lot of guys on Tour putting the Masterful+ (aka the circle-t version of the Newport+) in play. Might be a good sign if it’s already being used. The Golo will be popular as well i suspect.

Idk what some of you guys were expecting. And don’t get my wrong, I’m not a fan of Scotty’s marketing tactics and what seems like catering to bots and/or scalpers. He’s clearly very interested in preserving the resale value of his Circle-t’s. Retail offerings will continue to be the same rinse and repeat, with maybe a new model added once in awhile - that being said, this release is decent when you take a look back at some older ones

And people seem to hate the new mid-milling (without even trying it) because it’s deeper than last years; but it looks pretty similar to PLD’s deep milling, Bettinardi’s bb series milling yet no one complained about those. In fact i’ve heard from multiple ppl that the retail PLD milling feels incredible. Toulon's deep diamond milling is also suppose to be great (much different design but still “deep” milling)

Great points and well said MJO23!! I simply don't get all the hate and trashing, inclusively over the name and marketing no less, who cares, really??!!

For years, y'all complained that he had to get away from inserts. And so he listened and did. So what is the issue? Availability of heads/new shapes? That's not what he is about. He is about 3 things, when it comes to non tour models. 1. What sells, 2. bringing whats been validated on tour to those tried and true models "that sell" (vs minority buyers that don't want a flange line etc, and that's what he offers the custom shop for) 3. whilst at the same time creating scarcity that can only be found in tour only versions and or by customizing your putter via the custom shop. 

I for one think this is actually his BEST OTR release in years. Sure, how much can you really innovate on a milled putter (non full mallet style). And that's why I think this year is his best. Why? Because, like with the changeable weights, he brings to the OTR customers, innovations and what is working on the tour. So this time we got a new milling (my SS Newport+ feels amazing BTW), the i-beam hosel, and the tech from (aluminum sole plate) the Squareback series, into much more traditional head shapes. All stuff as noted by other posters, also what is hot with the tour. I immediately sold my SS Squareback 2.0, when I saw they were making a SS Newport+, and it is everything it promises to be looks and feel and forgiveness wise. Those who say it is too big, have you really held it and putt with it?? If so, so be it. But for me, looks soooo much better (for my eye, as I cannot get over the shape of the Squareback 2.0) than the Squarebacks. Just a smidge bigger than the Newport (and btw, I love my Phantom X11.5, so go figure on looks). I think that before people bash these they should try them. I think shops are going to be hard pressed to keep the Plus models in stock. Good job Scotty!

• Like 1

Gotta say the Golo 6 releasing in May has really caught my eye. I was dead set to stick with my Newport 2, but I really feel SBST is my more natural stroke, so I've been eyeing mallets again. 

Mostly considering the Golo because I like the look of the Odyssey Rossi 5K that released, but prefer the feel of milled putters, and they are basically the same cost. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* Kai'li White 70X

Cobra King LTDx LS 17.5* 5 Wood Motore F1 X-Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18* Hybrid HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver

Callaway Apex 4H 23*

Callaway X Forged CB 5-9 KBS $-Taper Stiff 120g

Jaws Raw 46* S, Vokey 50* F, Vokey 56* D

Odyssey White Hot OG 2 Ball Stroke Lab

Titleist Prov1x

Great post. I guess I am a normie LOL. I bought Cameron's first mass market Titleist release Newport, with the Royal Grip, oil rag, carbon steel, all the stuff you note. I basically (like much of the tour) love my X11.5 Phantom, as it's super forgiving, decent enough to look at for a mallet, and has a bit of toe hang for my arc. In big matches, that usually is in the bag. When it does not matter, I love my Wilson 8802 Milled, and my Kingston KP1, and at times my PING JAS Anser. But I am always chasing that X11.5 inside 10 and 5 feet forgiveness in a blade. The Squareback got there, but could not look at it (weird, as no issues with the X11.5 Phantom), so this is why I sound so excited about the Super Select Newport+. I want the most forgiving blade out there (which years ahead of it's time the JAS Anser was and still is, but a bit "clicky" for my tastes). We shall see, but think that the plus models are special, and think they will crush it at the cash register.

Edited by mikec3672
  • Like 2

Played 18 with a new Newport 2 Plus today. Huge fan of the feel. I think it’s noticeably softer/less clicky than the previous generation. I would say very similar to the PLD’s. I think the new double pass face milling design was a great decision. I had a 2019 Newport 2 and this new version feels a lot better. I’m not sure how much of it is my putting stroke improving vs higher MOI but it did seem to want to stay on line a bit easier too (for a blade). 

I rolled a Squareback in the store as well. While I enjoyed looking down at it, the feel and sound was slightly different. Kind of more clicky like the previous generation. The head felt quite a bit lighter to me too which is why I ended up going with the Newport 2.

I think this Super Select line is going to appease a lot of Scotty fans that are seeking that softer carbon steel feel from the older models. I think it’s staying in the bag for now. 

• Like 2

Driver:           45" Titleist TSR3 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X 
Fairway:        Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Mitsubishi 1K Black 75g X
Hybrid:          Titleist TSR2 4 Hybrid Mitsubishi 1k Black 85g X

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 Modus 105x
Wedges:       Blue Mizuno T24 50/56/60 
Putter:           LAB Golf Blue 37" CB DF3 w/ White Accra Shaft

Ball:               Pro V1/MaxFli Tour
Bag:               VESSEL Grey Player III Stand   

11 hours ago, nickerson said:

Any chance you have an older 2.5 and can give us a top line shot of them side by side?

My first ever 2.5 sorry

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

1 minute ago, nickerson said:

No problem! Enjoy it! If you have time (and this is a weird request) do you mind measuring the sole width (face to back of flange)? Scotty never provides dimensions and it drives me nuts.

not a problem

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

8 hours ago, mikec3672 said:

Great points and well said MJO23!! I simply don't get all the hate and trashing, inclusively over the name and marketing no less, who cares, really??!!

For years, y'all complained that he had to get away from inserts. And so he listened and did. So what is the issue? Availability of heads/new shapes? That's not what he is about. He is about 3 things, when it comes to non tour models. 1. What sells, 2. bringing whats been validated on tour to those tried and true models "that sell" (vs minority buyers that don't want a flange line etc, and that's what he offers the custom shop for) 3. whilst at the same time creating scarcity that can only be found in tour only versions and or by customizing your putter via the custom shop. 

I for one think this is actually his BEST OTR release in years. Sure, how much can you really innovate on a milled putter (non full mallet style). And that's why I think this year is his best. Why? Because, like with the changeable weights, he brings to the OTR customers, innovations and what is working on the tour. So this time we got a new milling (my SS Newport+ feels amazing BTW), the i-beam hosel, and the tech from (aluminum sole plate) the Squareback series, into much more traditional head shapes. All stuff as noted by other posters, also what is hot with the tour. I immediately sold my SS Squareback 2.0, when I saw they were making a SS Newport+, and it is everything it promises to be looks and feel and forgiveness wise. Those who say it is too big, have you really held it and putt with it?? If so, so be it. But for me, looks soooo much better (for my eye, as I cannot get over the shape of the Squareback 2.0) than the Squarebacks. Just a smidge bigger than the Newport (and btw, I love my Phantom X11.5, so go figure on looks). I think that before people bash these they should try them. I think shops are going to be hard pressed to keep the Plus models in stock. Good job Scotty!

Just wanted to add in a thank you for your post. I definitely didn't mean to be one to share pure negativity--sometimes when posting, I share criticism more often than praise with the expectation that pointing out "frustrations" is what fuels future improvements. I currently own 6 Scotty Cameron putters, and I am a HUGE fan of his head shapes. There's a reason people love them, including me. This year is especially exciting because he added the plus models and built on the Golo models (including some more lefty options. Woohoo! No complaints at all there). I am mainly just frustrated with the increasingly loud marketing/branding that seem to coincide with social media/gimmicky marketing videos moreso than me having any problems with the actual putter itself. 

• Like 1

Goofy Stance

I just got back from my local golf shop, and I could barely tell any difference between the Special Select Newport 2 and the Super Select Newport 2. When you're actually putting and looking down from the top, they are identical in appearance and also in feel. I expected the deeper milling to have more of an impact. I tried to close my eyes and focus on feel/sound but struggled to pick up consistent differences between the two putters. Any perceptible variation largely had to do with me slightly missing the sweetspot more than switching between the putters.

As an aside, the Ping PLD Anser 2 and PLD DS72 truly feel like nothing else out there (I hated the feel of the Tyne 4 and regular Anser though)...I wasn't willing to pay $450 on the spot, but I'm jumping on Ebay and will look to pick one up off the secondhand market. They are incredible! The Scotty Camerons still look about a thousand times better and are accompanied with more of a "special" feeling (in my opinion), but the balance, performance, sound, and feel of the PLD Anser 2 was head and shoulders above everything else in the store.

I rolled the Scotty Cameron 2.5+ as well, but I didn't love the thick look of the blade. If I wanted a bigger head, then I'd just go for a Phantom 5.5, 9.5, or 11.5. No need for the Newport plus options in my opinion, but I can see how they might become very popular. Again, I'm not going to complain when we're given more options to choose from.

Edited by putt_for_dough

Goofy Stance

Tested the PLD Anser D vs the Scotty Super Select SquareBack2 for hours today. In the store,  identical performance with the feel of both nice with slight differences but both sweet. Bought the Scotty and took it right to the practice greens and love the feel on grass (Playing either a ProV or Vice Pro) and it has forgiveness in spades. Not sure I will put it into play just. yet as the Spider GTX has been nothing short of amazing. But it will no doubt be in the rotation.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PlatinumNike said:

Were we all at the same store today? Haha

Hit the Scotty Newport 2 vs the PLD. Never hit a PLD before but felt really really good. 

Made putts with the Scotty but felt “clicky” 

For reference I play a Scotty Studio Design 1.5

Haha, probably in the same store… 

funny how my 2023 GTX feels more “metallic” than my metal Super Select. I remember when the spiders first came out they were more muted when compared to my Ansers and Scotty putters. 
One thing I like about the 2023 Squareback is that when I hit the center sweet spot, it has a great feel, and yes, sounds a bit “clicky” on slightly off center strikes. 

• Like 1

The pro shop at my club had them out yesterday at $50 less than MSRP. I had enough shop credit to cover the cost so I came home with a Newport 2+. Love the feel and look. I was looking at the PLD 2D but didn’t love the look of it.

• Like 2

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

$.05 on the new 2023 line ;

rolled several of them for 20 or so minutes 

-“super” non wide body,   the head design newport and NP2 look fantastic , great milling and design .  The NP2 is starting to creep into a timeless head shape , sans the ears in the cavity.   I would have liked to see a bit wider flange on the Newport and NP2 without having to go to the wide with the aluminum insert 

- wide body , roughly the same as above just a bit wider , the positive , the feel was similar with a higher moi design 

- new grip 2023 line  , I hate it YMMV , why not use the grey again ?  Then again Don T Cameron would not  be the master market he is without giving you something that makes the consumer buy another 70 dollar grip 

- feel wise 2023 is similar to the current , had every intent of buying one yesterday  but went with something else 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

On 1/24/2023 at 8:34 AM, BogeyLJA said:

Super Select sounds so Walmart - need to do better marketing team. 

On 1/24/2023 at 1:46 PM, dmwilson09 said:

2024 Scotty Cameron Putter release......... Super Special Select 

I was thinking Super Duper Special Select…

On a serious note, His retail stuff has become so watered down now. His putters used to just have an “aura” about them, when you rolled one you knew it was something special. Maybe its just the competition caught up, but  circa 62s were some of my favorites, I may be in the minority on that. No doubt his best stuff was mid/late 90s into mid 2000s. Feels mainstream and mass produced now, and truly living on the namesake. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 3