Hybrids as a low hdcp

BURKMI19

I've always been a traditionalist with irons, still gaming 2-4 irons.  But the desire to get back into competitive state am events and possibly usga qualifiers has me wanting to ensure the most success between 200-240 yard shots.  What is the community opinions on putting a couple hybrids in the bag versus keeping long irons?

I had no issues replacing 3/4 irons with hybrids...only way to know if would work for you is to do some range testing. 

Hybrids way easier to hit and more forgiving, at least for me.

• Like 1

Rogue Max 9.5

Epic Speed 4w

Epic Hybrids 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

I have a buddy who is a scratch golfer and he plays 4 hybrids, 3 through 6.   

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9° with Ventus Velocore Blue-5S

Ping G410 3 Wood 16° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

PXG 0211 7 Wood 19.5° with Project X Evenflow Riptide CB 40 5.0

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

Taylormade Spider X putter

I took my 3 iron out of the bag and put a 7wood in.  Already had a hybrid in.  Wish I would have done it years ago.  Never thought it was for me, because I have good speed and a fairly consistent strike with long irons.  But, I'm an idiot.  Few people are going to strike a 3 iron as well as a 7 wood or hybrid.  I love hitting a 7 wood.  Makes hitting that 230 shot much less stressful for me.  Hybrids and 7 woods get a big thumbs up from me.

You'd think that's a question only you can answer.

If you don't swing fast, it can be awful hard to be consistent with long irons.  That's why a lot of low cappers are using hybrids/woods.  Some guys still prefer a 2/3/4 iron because their swing allows them to carry them consistently enough.

Really up to you.

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

TaylorMade SIM Max 4h 22° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

I went down this road many years ago, and still want to go back. I'm a huge iron preference guy, but for me at 3 iron I need to swing very well to make it perform right. I was fitted extensively and when I game it, it just doesn't cut it. Hybrid will take a bit to get used to but the performance is worth it. It simply will help flight the ball so much easier.

A basic way I think of this is, its easier for me to flight the ball down then it is to hit it really high. I have no issue flighting a hybrid, so it really makes the decision easy.

Years back I played in various regional and a few local mini events (2 handi) using 17'/18' 2 iron and regular 3i-PW, 15' 3wd and Driver.  Never had a hybrid, 5 or 7wd in the bag.  People say hybrids are needed to stop the ball on long shots, only I never bought into that.  To me, it's about solid ball striking.

I am currently playing to 4+.  When I strike the ball, I naturally strike with a lot of spin, and flight the ball as needed; prefer to bring the ball in med-low and rely on spin to stop the ball.  Last weekend, 22'-4i stopped nicely on a few greens that were receptive.  It doesn't matter what club you use, if the greens are not receptive, the ball isn't going to stop even with hybrid; that's when landing short or on the green front and allow the ball to release back to the pin.

I frequently face a 220yd Par 3, kinda uphill; from any tee it's essentially full carry over water and green fronting slop that feeds back into the pond.  Usually around 190 to apron.  When pin is in the back my 2i stops the ball on the green every time, when pin is in the middle, I now use 4 iron, and I am 70+ on the aging scale. 🙂  Not sure how long I can keep it up, but.... that's One man's opinion that isn't giving up.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TSR2 10' Velocore Blue TR 6 series S
  • Titleist TSR2 15' Velocore Red 6 series S
  • Titleist T200 2i & 4i  MCA-Tensei AV Blue S
  • Titleist T100s 5i-W MCA-Tensei AV Blue S
  • SM9 F-52/12, MCA-MMT 105 sw
  • SM9 M-58/8, MCA-MMT 105 sw
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

Do you base your bag off of perception or off of what works? The goal of every single club in the bag except driver is to go a fixed distance and them settle quickly. Low lofted irons that fly low and run out unpredictably are not conducive to scoring, which is where hybrids and fairways come into play

For two years I have volunteered at the Ascension Charity Classic, a Champions Tour event. (Players age 50 and over). A third of the field plays 3H + 4H in bag.

Complaint that hybrids miss left: I suspect you square the clubface well. If so, make sure you get a hybrid with a neutral face. Strong swingers hitting hybrids with noticeable offset may end up to the left. Of course, pay attention to shaft. Some players get a steel in their hybrid (... just not me!)

In my last bag mix, I carried a 4i (which was reshafted in graphite) and a 4H. With MAXs, I stop at 5i, which flies nearly as long as old 4i.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSlotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed)

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backup: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

2 hours ago, BURKMI19 said:

I've always been a traditionalist with irons, still gaming 2-4 irons.  But the desire to get back into competitive state am events and possibly usga qualifiers has me wanting to ensure the most success between 200-240 yard shots.  What is the community opinions on putting a couple hybrids in the bag versus keeping long irons?

The only thing that matters is If they help you play better golf. There’s no room for ego in the box on a scorecard. 40% of PGA Tour players have a hybrid in the bag. There’s a reason for that. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ +1 Flat setting Grafalloy Pro Lite HL Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Ping Alta CB Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Raw reg
PXG Gen 3 0311XP 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Reg

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

So our opinion will dictate if you play hybrids because? If you aren’t consistent enough hitting long irons those yardages I would definitely consider adding a hybrid or a 5 wood in the bag. That is a no brainer. Worse thing is to have a situation where you need that shot and you have any doubt in what your club can do. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Lots of fun options.  I currently game an apex UW, which is basically a hybrid, and then go to a 22 degree sim DHY which is also very hybrid like.  Those DHY clubs are stupid easy to hit.  I’ve also got a Cobra forged tec hybrid that isn’t currently in the bag but is great because it basically doesn’t go left.  Try to experiment with hybrids, DHY style clubs and some more game improvement style irons in the 3/4 slot and see what fits your game.  

On 1/24/2023 at 2:34 PM, BURKMI19 said:

Have you done any stat-keeping with strokes gained to help direct your assessment of your game in this area?  Also, at the non-PGA tour level, you really are just trying to get down in 4 or less from these yardages.  Down in 2 is rarer than hen's teeth, and 3 is a really, really good score.  4 isn't the end of the world, unless is is every single time.  Honestly, avoiding 5 is the main goal.  

So with that in mind, do you need a different club to allow you to avoid 5's first and foremost, and then appreciably affect your ratio of 4's to 3's? 

• Like 1

Rogue Speed LS TD 9° w/Rogue White

Big Bertha Mini 12° w/Rogue White

X-12 Pro Series 16° w/Rifle
X Forged UT 19° & 23° w/PX
'19 Apex Pro 6-A w/PX
X Forged Jaws 58° w/PX

PM Grind 1.0 64° w/PX
Toulon Austin
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

13 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

Low single & I'm on to 6h and 7h in the bag. Dispersion 7h v 6i is a real shocker

Same.  Still playing to a 4 (although it's going in the wrong direction) and I have hybrids down to 30° available when the course requires.  Nothing wrong with playing what makes the game more fun.

• Like 1

I love to practice with my 4 iron, but when push comes to shove I bag the 4H.  I simply hit more greens with it. 

• Like 1

G410 Plus Ventus VeloCore Blue 6TX - SIM2 HL 3W Ventus Blue 6S - Stealth 7W Ventus Black 6S - Titleist 915 4H Blue Board  - Mizuno MP 20 Proj X IO 6.0 5-PW - Titleist SM9 50.12F 56.12D 60.10S - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I'm ashamed to admit that I forgot to use this thread as an opportunity to throw a shoutout to @Obee, something that I like to do whenever possible!

• Like 1

Rogue Speed LS TD 9° w/Rogue White

Big Bertha Mini 12° w/Rogue White

X-12 Pro Series 16° w/Rifle
X Forged UT 19° & 23° w/PX
'19 Apex Pro 6-A w/PX
X Forged Jaws 58° w/PX

PM Grind 1.0 64° w/PX
Toulon Austin
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Putting a 20 and 23 degree hybrid in the bag is like letting me carry 16 clubs. Where the shot from rough was a non starter with the 3/4 iron it suddenly becomes very easy. 

Pick up a pair of Adams Pro or Pro Mini from the bay for peanuts and have an experiment. Worse case you’ll be $100 out of pocket before you sell them on. 

never been a fan of hybrids (driving irons for me) but I bought a Cobra King Tec 2H a few months ago and it's the first hybrid I have been able to get along with - all the rest have been push/slice machines.  I bought it because it has adjustable weights in the sole and I can set up a draw bias.  I can hit it all over the face and get a decent result and anything flushed out of the middle goes for miles.

Edited by sneaky_pete