Balls on a budget: Vice Pro (or comparable) vs used golf balls?

RoyalMustang

For the majority of my play, I would like to utilize something good but not expensive. I am a 5 cap and therefore do lose balls from time to time. While I can tell a 50 cent no-name ball that I won at the arcade vs a Pro V1, I can't tell a difference between a TP5 and Pro V1, or any other high-end ball. 

As I see it, I have 3 options: continue to play the better balls I find in the trees (I know where to look for the most part) but that comes with downsides (namely trying to stay clear of poison oak). I can buy something good that is DTC such as the Vice Pro Plus. Or, I could go the 2nd most cost-effective route, which is to buy used balls from something like Lost Golf Balls. Not refurbished, but just used?

Are there any disadvantages to buying "mint" Srixon Z-stars from a place like Lost Golf Balls? Especially for my non-competitive rounds? I would worry if the ball had been sitting in a lake for 5 years, but other than that, I am already playing the nice balls I find in the trees to the right of any fairway. This just means I don't have to hunt as often (and let's face it, golf ball hunting is super fun.  Kinda like an easter egg hunt!). 

Related but not relevant question: where do these companies get these massive amounts of balls? I rarely see anyone combing the woods for them. There has to be some black market pipeline for balls that I am not aware of. 

• Like 1

I think there have been a number of tests on used balls and their performance vs new balls and there is a difference. Additionally, I think even if you buy “mint”, there may be a range in terms of quality of what you get.

I would try Vice (pro and pro plus) and see what you prefer, then buy in bulk. These have performed plenty well for me. Another alternative is TP5x or TP5 practice balls, and mark a line over the word “practice”. I bought 6 dozen for about $150 and it’s basically brand new 2019 balls.

Edited by NNJ

Yes, there's a difference in performance with used balls, sometimes a big one.

One of our regular 4some members, formerly played only used balls.  We actually found some balls were 'refurbished' to be labeled as a different OEMs balls.....in that case was a Cally Hex dimple pattern that was repainted and labeled TM Project A.

Vice balls are a solid choice, as are other direct to consumer brands, or look for closeouts when new models introduced of the prior model.

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

if your handicap was any higher I would tell you to just go ut Callaway Supersoft @ $25 a dozen and never look back but I realize most 5 hcaps are generaly looking for certain things in their ball. Great ball for the money. It is my spring and winter ball, switch to Pro V1x in the summer/fall as I love the harder feel. If you spin the ball a ton you may quite well like the Supersoft regardless as you seem to place importance on price

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed TD 10.5

Callaway Steelhead XR   5 wood

Callaway GBB            20 degree hybrid

Callaway  B 21           4-PW

CBX Zipcore       48-54-58

2015 Scotty Cameron GoLo 5

Vice Pro Soft 

Golf Pride 2G white

Hard to beat the Vice Pro for performance and price, especially if you can catch the buy 5 get 1 free promo that will be upcoming.

• Like 4

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I recently made the switch from used balls to Vice Pro's. Bought some used ones to dip my toe (AAAAA condition) and really liked them. Sam's Club has a $40 for 2 doz. right now so I picked up 4 dozen. Should last me a while. 

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

There’s another option.

Check Ebay for “practice” balls.

They’re identical to new balls of the same name, just with “practice” stamped on them.

Last time I bought some I got 6 dozen TP5 for about $24/dozen.

If the “practice” stamp bugs you, draw an alignment line through it with a Sharpie.

Another option is to watch Academy for sales, & pick them up when they run a “buy 2, get one free” that coincides with a 20% off storewide sale. I picked up 3 dozen Z Star Diamonds for less than $25/dozen last year including tax & shipping.

Edited by WasatchBogey
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX F3

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 7-GW - Nippon NS Pro850gh Neo

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

As to your last question, I’m guessing the vast majority are water balls.

I was playing Jeremy Ranch a few years ago, on a par 5 where the creek wraps almost all the way around the green, saw a guy in scuba gear coming out of the water. He had 3 large burlap bags filled with balls.

Edited by WasatchBogey
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX F3

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 7-GW - Nippon NS Pro850gh Neo

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

If you can find deals on practice Titleist Callaway or Taylormade balls. Used to be about 20-30% cheaper for a prior year version, same with logo overruns. Not so much anymore it seems. 

I got burned with a used purchase about 5 years ago. Noticed some erratic flight and cut 5 open. What I thought were top notch brand, we’re all different 2 piece balls. 

since then DTC mostly Snell, then Vice, Seed, Cut, Oncore. 

Edited by JAM01

1 hour ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

I recently made the switch from used balls to Vice Pro's. Bought some used ones to dip my toe (AAAAA condition) and really liked them. Sam's Club has a $40 for 2 doz. right now so I picked up 4 dozen. Should last me a while. 

That’s a hell of a deal for Vice Pros.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I definitely would stay away from the used ball market. No offense but I have ordered AAAA golf balls and you can tell from the get go that their feel is way off. In regards to playing Vice pro plus, I currently game them and I play to a similar handicap as you do. I would say that you would probably not be able to feel a big enough difference to warrant spending twice as much per dozen. Like you, I can make my golf balls last a long time and always ask myself why I use the Vice green and it is mainly the color for me. Performance wise, I get the same distance as comparable to the Prov1 x that I played at one time. You will see some difference when it comes to the spin you get on the greens but I adjusted for that myself. If Titliest made a lime green color similar to the Vice pro plus, I would play that ball. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I wouldn't go with used. You have no idea what you're getting, where the ball has been or for how long, or what performance has been lost. There are enough ball deals out there that you can get new ball options at whatever price point you're comfortable with. 

Titleist TSR3 - D

Titleist TSR3 - 4W

Titleist T200 - 4i

Titleist T150 - 5-GW

Vokey SM9 - 52º - 56º - 60º

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

17 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

For the majority of my play, I would like to utilize something good but not expensive. I am a 5 cap and therefore do lose balls from time to time. While I can tell a 50 cent no-name ball that I won at the arcade vs a Pro V1, I can't tell a difference between a TP5 and Pro V1, or any other high-end ball. 

As I see it, I have 3 options: continue to play the better balls I find in the trees (I know where to look for the most part) but that comes with downsides (namely trying to stay clear of poison oak). I can buy something good that is DTC such as the Vice Pro Plus. Or, I could go the 2nd most cost-effective route, which is to buy used balls from something like Lost Golf Balls. Not refurbished, but just used?

Are there any disadvantages to buying "mint" Srixon Z-stars from a place like Lost Golf Balls? Especially for my non-competitive rounds? I would worry if the ball had been sitting in a lake for 5 years, but other than that, I am already playing the nice balls I find in the trees to the right of any fairway. This just means I don't have to hunt as often (and let's face it, golf ball hunting is super fun.  Kinda like an easter egg hunt!). 

Related but not relevant question: where do these companies get these massive amounts of balls? I rarely see anyone combing the woods for them. There has to be some black market pipeline for balls that I am not aware of. 

12 hours ago, Gibbs said:

As much as I hate to admit, the Kirklands are almost identical to ProV’s. TGX did a comparison and numbers are the same. $44 for 2 dozen Canadian. 

OK....

1.  Use balls: NO.  Been in the lake/pond/creek for 3 years through freeze and thaw cycles.

2.  DTC balls are as good as any OEM ball.  Unless you're John Rahm and can zip a ball back 20 feet I don't think there is a difference between a Vice Pro/Pro x, Maxfli Tour/Tour X, Snell, OnCore, Seed, Sugar, etc..  All depends upon the feel and performance characteristics you like (launch, spin, compression, cast vs. TPU).  I currently game TP5 (got a fire sale deal on 6 doz) and Maxfli Tour.  Vice Pro will be my next bulk purchase due to the cost.  Maybe the new Snell Black when they are released.  I'm a 12-14 cap with some consistent practice not far from under 10.  

3.  Kirkland golf balls.  Where do I begin.  I game the Kirklands on a regular basis for casual and/or practice rounds.  They are durable (despite what some say), They spin alot.  Granted, I may lose about 5 yards on a good drive compared to my TP5 but my FW, Hybrid clubs and irons I don't see any real difference in distance.  I can stick greens with them.  I don't worry about dropping them into water or into the poison oak.  They are cheap! 2 doz/$25 in store purchase.  To me these are the best casual/practice and winter ball out there especially for the price.  I think they are better than Cut Blue by far.  There are A TON of YT videos with TGX, Rick Shiels, James Robinson, Etc..

This post is too long already so I'll end it here.

Edited by wantacigar
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

FYI, the Sam’s deal is for the prior gen Vice Pro that were introduced in either 2015 or 2016. The new versions cover is noticeably more durable.

• Like 4

There are too many good DTC balls to play to go the used route.

Go with Vice or Snell

I played the Snell Black for years and found no difference between the Snell Black and a ProV1 except the price.

Also wait for the buy 3 for the price of 2 deal from Srixon.

That is always a good deal

Also Maxfli is a good ball also 

I would also check Ebay

I found some good deals on there for brand new balls

I recently picked up 3 dozen Wilson Triads for $79.99

Brand new in the box

Keep hunting

Edited by scott406
  • Like 2

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

You can buy Srixon Z stars or XVs all day long for 35dz That to me is really best bang for you $. But I'm biased to Srixon, but I do think they just as good as any tour ball out there. I'm fixing to order 4dz z star yellow for the upcoming spring and summer. Here in SC I'm lucky as I can play through winter but I usually use whatever I have stashed back through those months. 

This is my 3rd season playing Vice Pros. During that time I have subbed in sleeves of pro V1s won at outings or gifted (some other premium balls as well) and I have noticed little to no difference in performance or durability. 

Also when I send a blister into the woods I'm not out 5 bucks....so I always have that going for me...which is nice.

• Like 2

Last year's Srixon Z/XV balls are $35/dozen right now which is hard to beat.

I've ordered 48 ball buckets of Titleist ProV1's from LostGolfBalls before and never had any issues but the other comments in here are making me hesitant to do that again.

I would not even consider the Kirkland balls if you are a 5 handicap. Those are great balls for a certain type of golfer but I think you owe it to yourself to be playing something a little better.

2 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

If price is a concern. Go ball hunting as suggested above. Go to any first hole 175 out and 40 yards right there are free ones.  Not an option? Prior gens are the way to go. Golf web sites like rock bottom or Amazon are great for prior gens.

Ha! I found a new spot last night: it is on the other side of a creek, about a 2 minute walk around out of sight, but a nature trail passes right by there. In 90 seconds plus 2 minutes walk to and fro, I had 4 as-mint Pro V1s and 2 other decent balls. Nobody checks that side of the creek when playing as it is behind the hole; you can't go back there without holding up play. But when I play at twilight, nobody is there and I will start hitting that area weekly. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, JAM01 said:

If you can find deals on practice Titleist Callaway or Taylormade balls. Used to be about 20-30% cheaper for a prior year version, same with logo overruns. Not so much anymore it seems. 

I got burned with a used purchase about 5 years ago. Noticed some erratic flight and cut 5 open. What I thought were top notch brand, we’re all different 2 piece balls. 

since then DTC mostly Snell, then Vice, Seed, Cut, Oncore. 

Thanks for the tip on practice Callaway Chrome Softs. $16.49 on Academy. I ordered 8 dozen; should last me awhile! 

I can't tell the difference really between a Soft, X, and X LS. I am sure there is one, but do I really notice? I am just not consistent enough as a 5-cap. They are all good balls. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gibbs said:

As much as I hate to admit, the Kirklands are almost identical to ProV’s. TGX did a comparison and numbers are the same. $44 for 2 dozen Canadian. 

Kirkland spins up WAY more across the board and longer players will lose distance off the tee, typically to the tune of 10-15 yards.  Otherwise they're great balls.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kmagnuss said:

Kirkland spins up WAY more across the board and longer players will lose distance off the tee, typically to the tune of 10-15 yards.  Otherwise they're great balls.

Kirkland would be great for someone in the 80-85 range but anyone that that Swings over 85 I don't think they are a good fit. If anyone that swings over 85 and wants a DTC ball then the Vice Pro Soft or Vice Pro would be the Ball to play depending on your Feel preference. The Pro soft would feel softer than the Pro but everything else is basically same

8 minutes ago, Kmagnuss said:

Good to know-thanks. As my distance off the tee is the only "plus" part of my game right now, I don't want to give that up. 

Yeah do not get refurbished or used balls.  I ordered some Bridgestone "refurbs" and they were literally painted Pinnacles.  The performance was completely all over the planet and just a travesty.

I typically play yellow ProV1s in the summer.  For the winter/fall I grabbed some Vice Pro's and I honestly cannot tell a difference in performance.  The only thing I've noticed is the lime green Vice balls the green gets nicked off typically fairly quickly, while the yellow Pro V I could play with for rounds and they never looked worm because the yellow is actually in the cover.  The Vice once they get beat up, I'll just toss it in a pond because they cost $2 a ball.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I recently went through the same thinking process and then tested a bunch of balls with my driver on Trackman I ended up settling on the Vice Pro. 

Previously I played various mid-priced balls, including some used ones, as well as some premium balls I received as gifts or tee prizes. I had already decided that I wanted to start playing brand new balls in 2023 for consistency and such. I generally wear balls out before I lose them. Benefits of being short and straight. 🙂

I have no complaints with the Vice Pro. 

Regarding used/reconditioned balls, I never had any horror stories with them. Considering how quick and easy it is to get multiple dozens of AAAA/AAAAA balls any day of the week, my strong suspicion is that most of them are *not* being recovered from ponds anymore. Likely they are overruns in many cases. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I'm cheap by nature, and hate paying full price for Titleist/TM/Callaway.  Used to play Bridgestone as they were always about 10% under the others, then switched to Srixon and buy when they have specials.

But I must admit the DTC balls have come a long way, I am happy to play the Vice Pro plus or Snell, bought some Vice balls last year to try and was very happy with them.  No reason 95% of the golfing public should ever play a ball that is $50 or more per dozen.  For almost all golfers there is a ball that sells for $25-$35 per dozen that will fit your game, you just have to test them and find the right one.

Edited by Mike_C
Spelling
  • Like 3

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

49 minutes ago, Kmagnuss said:

42 minutes ago, Longdriver295 said:

Kirkland would be great for someone in the 80-85 range but anyone that that Swings over 85 I don't think they are a good fit. If anyone that swings over 85 and wants a DTC ball then the Vice Pro Soft or Vice Pro would be the Ball to play depending on your Feel preference. The Pro soft would feel softer than the Pro but everything else is basically same

My driver SS ranges from 92-95 depending upon weather and my F****d up knees.  I do lose about 5 yards on driver but nothing noticeable on the irons or hybrids.  Just an aside, I take indoor simulator numbers with a grain of salt.  You definitely need to actually play the ball on actual course conditions.  

Last week I played a 2019 version TP5 side by side with a Kirkland V2.  There were some slight "feel" differences but I had no distance variations.  My drives ranged from 220-230 carry with both the TP5 and Kirkland.  That's the tests I rely on.  Don't get me wrong.  I love the TP5, Maxfli Tour and Vice Pro and would play them but I always have a double dozen Kirklands for bad rounds where I'm not hitting the ball well and losing them, courses with ALOT of water, etc., winter golf and a casual/practice round.

• Like 1