Other than Moe Norman, who else has made 25/27 cuts in 27 starts?

golferdude54

When Moe Norman played on the PGA Tour, his first and only 27 starts in his career, he made 25 cuts.

This had me wondering how many other golfers have made 25 cuts in their first 27 starts on the PGA Tour.

Unfortunately, there is not really a stat filtering database for such stats. Does anybody know off the top of their heads who else did it? I know Tiger went 27/27 in his first 27 professional starts.

Edited by golferdude54

• golferdude54 changed the title to Other than Moe Norman, who else has made 25/27 cuts in 27 starts?
1 hour ago, golferdude54 said:

When Moe Norman played on the PGA Tour, his first and only 27 starts in his career, he made 25 cuts.

This had me wondering how many other golfers have made 25 cuts in their first 27 starts on the PGA Tour.

Unfortunately, there is not really a stat filtering database for such stats. Does anybody know off the top of their heads who else did it? I know Tiger went 27/27 in his first 27 professional starts.

I think this is his most impressive statistic 

Woods set the all-time PGA Tour record for most consecutive cuts made, with 142. The streak started in 1998, he set the record at the 2003 Tour Championship with 114 (passing Byron Nelson's previous record of 113 and Jack Nicklaus at 105) and extended this mark to 142 before it ended on May 13, 2005 at the EDS Byron Nelson Championship. Many consider this to be one of the most remarkable golf accomplishments of all time, 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

2 hours ago, drbonesvt said:

I think this is his most impressive statistic 

Woods set the all-time PGA Tour record for most consecutive cuts made, with 142. The streak started in 1998, he set the record at the 2003 Tour Championship with 114 (passing Byron Nelson's previous record of 113 and Jack Nicklaus at 105) and extended this mark to 142 before it ended on May 13, 2005 at the EDS Byron Nelson Championship. Many consider this to be one of the most remarkable golf accomplishments of all time, 

Wonder what those numbers look like if you count just the tournaments that actually had a cut? I have no idea. 

16 hours ago, North Texas said:

Wonder what those numbers look like if you count just the tournaments that actually had a cut? I have no idea. 

I have that information somewhere. It's 111. And I'm pretty sure he finished in the top 10 in the majority of those no cut events if it makes any difference. I'll look into that.

Also, if you include only professional starts Tiger made the cut in an astonishing 171/173 events to start his career. If you include his am stats from age 16 at Riviera he made 5 out of 14 cuts before turning pro and hitting another gear. 

Edited by Golfnutgalen
  • Thanks 1

I know every thread becomes a thread about Tiger, but his cuts made record is, in my opinion, the most astonishing statistic of his career, and what cements him as the GOAT in my book. 

• Like 2

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

31 minutes ago, vbb said:

I know every thread becomes a thread about Tiger, but his cuts made record is, in my opinion, the most astonishing statistic of his career, and what cements him as the GOAT in my book. 

One of Tiger's super powers was an ability to turn chicken *&^% into chicken salad. He was the absolute king of turning a 77 into a 73 by just scrambling his tail off. Really underrated trait. 

• Like 2

Okay, here are the Tiger results as far as I know.

The 31 no cut events included in the streak from 1998 to 2005:

1998 (2): NEC World Series (at Firestone) T5, Tour Championship 20th

1999 (5): Mercedes Championship T5, WGC match play T5, WGC  NEC 1st, Tour Championship 1st, WGC Amex 1st

2000 (5): Mercedes Championship 1st, WGC Matchplay 2nd, WGC NEC 1st, Tour Championship 2nd, WGC Amex T5

2001 (3): Mercedes Championship T8, WGC NEC 1st, Tour Championship T13th

2002 (5): Mercedes Championship T10, WGC Matchplay T33rd, WGC NEC 4th, WGC Amex 1st, Tour Championship T7

2003 (4): WGC Matchplay 1st, WGC NEC T4, WGC Amex 1st, Tour Championship 26th 

2004 (5): Mercedes Championship T4, WGC Matchplay 1st, WGC NEC 2nd, WGC Amex 9th, Tour Championship 2nd

2005 (2): Mercedes Championship T3, WGC Matchplay T17

10/31 wins

Average finish 6th place (6.32)

Jack Nicklaus has a lesser known streak of 105 straight events from 1970-1976. In truth it's actually 111 because the tour always forgets to add the Open championship to the stats. Then there's of course Byron Nelson's famous 113 straight top 20s from 1940-1948 and Ben Hogan's 90 or so events during the same period. One site said Hogan's number was 177, but somebody on these forums pointed out that it was incorrect. Still a crazy number. To be fair I don't believe that events back then had cuts as we know them. Both Hogan and Nelson had their streaks begin and end with WDs.

Edited by Golfnutgalen

Here's the source for the Hogan numbers. It's from 2003, so you can ignore the Tiger numbers because his streak was still going at that point. 

The Real Cut Streak Forget what the PGA Tour says. The record held by Byron Nelson should belong to Ben Hogan - Sports Illustrated Vault | SI.com

I found this part interesting: 

THE REAL RECORD

In its current numbers for consecutive cuts made, the Tour
recognizes many tournaments that do not (or did not) have a
36-hole cut. The record needs a more precise definition, which
drastically curtails Hogan's and Nelson's tallies.

SI Says...
Most Consecutive Cuts at Tournaments with a 36-hole Cut:

NICKLAUS 101
WOODS 81

*SI estimates that Hogan would have 67 and Nelson 48 under this
criterion

Edited by Golfnutgalen

I do not get the fascination with Moe Norman.

• Like 4

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

1 hour ago, Golfnutgalen said:

Here's the source for the Hogan numbers. It's from 2003, so you can ignore the Tiger numbers because his streak was still going at that point. 

The Real Cut Streak Forget what the PGA Tour says. The record held by Byron Nelson should belong to Ben Hogan - Sports Illustrated Vault | SI.com

I found this part interesting: 

THE REAL RECORD

In its current numbers for consecutive cuts made, the Tour
recognizes many tournaments that do not (or did not) have a
36-hole cut. The record needs a more precise definition, which
drastically curtails Hogan's and Nelson's tallies.

SI Says...
Most Consecutive Cuts at Tournaments with a 36-hole Cut:

NICKLAUS 101
WOODS 81

*SI estimates that Hogan would have 67 and Nelson 48 under this
criterion

So to consider a consecutive cuts made record to include tournaments without a 36 hole cut sounds sketchy at best. I'll go with Jack and the 101

22 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

So to consider a consecutive cuts made record to include tournaments without a 36 hole cut sounds sketchy at best. I'll go with Jack and the 101

Yeah, you can go with that. Just remember that Tiger's number is 111 and that 81 was in the middle of the streak (article was from 2003 and his streak ended in 2005). Still the difference between 101 and 111 is quite slim and those numbers completely dwarf the competition. At least the ones they mentioned. Hale Irwin is next in the official list with 86 straight cuts or 90 including the Opens. I'm sure it's a bit less that that if you exclude no cut events.

The current leader in consecutive cuts is Jon Rahm with 22 or 17 excluding no cut events.

Edited by Golfnutgalen

32 minutes ago, Golfnutgalen said:

Yeah, you can go with that. Just remember that Tiger's number is 111 and that 81 was in the middle of the streak (article was from 2003 and his streak ended in 2005). Still the difference between 101 and 111 is quite slim and those numbers completely dwarf the competition. At least the ones they mentioned. Hale Irwin is next in the official list with 86 straight cuts or 90 including the Opens. I'm sure it's a bit less that that if you exclude no cut events.

The current leader in consecutive cuts is Jon Rahm with 22 or 17 excluding no cut events.

Any idea on he opposite ? I know Justin Rose missed like his first 17-18 cuts in a row. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

Any idea on he opposite ? I know Justin Rose missed like his first 17-18 cuts in a row. 

That's a really good question and I don't think I have the answer! 

Let's see, for Justin Rose after his T4th in the Open in 1998 he missed the cut in his next 16 starts, OOF!! Those were on the European Tour though, so per PGA Tour Stats he only missed one, the following Open Championship. 

I remember Steven Bowdich missing a bunch of cuts. It was 21 in a row in 2017. 

7 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

I know all about them and Sam was still upset about the 82, he says it was 88.

He has a good case for 88 as well, some of those 6 extra events should hold more weight than his official wins! The debate used to be all about the team format wins, but that kind of disappeared when the PGA Tour brought back the Zurich event. Still there's a bit difference between that one with 80 teams compared to the 4 wins we credit Sam in which had only 8 teams! He also has one with 16 teams which is a bit more reasonable. In all he has 11 official wins with fields or teams of 16 or fewer which is even smaller than Tiger's Hero event in December.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Golfnutgalen said:

That's a really good question and I don't think I have the answer! 

Let's see, for Justin Rose after his T4th in the Open in 1998 he missed the cut in his next 16 starts, OOF!! Those were on the European Tour though, so per PGA Tour Stats he only missed one, the following Open Championship. 

I remember Steven Bowdich missing a bunch of cuts. It was 21 in a row in 2017. 

He has a good case for 88 as well, some of those 6 extra events should hold more weight than his official wins! The debate used to be all about the team format wins, but that kind of disappeared when the PGA Tour brought back the Zurich event. Still there's a bit difference between that one with 80 teams compared to the 4 wins we credit Sam in which had only 8 teams! He also has one with 16 teams which is a bit more reasonable. In all he has 11 official wins with fields or teams of 16 or fewer which is even smaller than Tiger's Hero event in December.

Good stuff G !

Didn't Rose hole out a shot from the fairway on 17 or 18 for that T-4 in 98 ?

Bowditch might be the titleist. Hard to keep your card with a bunch of MC's.

You all can take Tiger’s cut streak; I’ll take his 4 majors in a row without hesitation any day. 

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

6 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

I'm with ya, a sad and fascinating character at the same time.

I wanted to show other people that Moe was a better player than they think based on cuts made; because it’s 99.9% of the time overlooked. The general consensus is that he was a poor player.

Not a lot of players can claim his cuts made % in their first 30 starts. He also made the cut in 100% of his starts as an amateur as well.

But man, this thread backfired and turned into a Tiger/Jack/Snead/Hogan/Byron bullfight.

18 minutes ago, golferdude54 said:

I wanted to show other people that Moe was a better player than they think based on cuts made; because it’s 99.9% of the time overlooked. The general consensus is that he was a poor player.

Not a lot of players can claim his cuts made % in their first 30 starts. He also made the cut in 100% of his starts as an amateur as well.

But man, this thread backfired and turned into a Tiger/Jack/Snead/Hogan/Byron bullfight.

You can blame me for part of that! 

Moe won 55 events in Canada and had 33 course records, he could obviously play golf. Wait, I'm just looking at the tour's stats and it has him missing the cut in 7 events which meant he went 20/27 for cuts made on the PGA Tour. I'll give him the 5 am starts you mentioned as well in which he made the cut which amounts to a very respectable 25/32 made cuts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, golferdude54 said:

Doesn't bringing up great cut streaks by a select few of the greatest players ever help make your point that he had a great accomplishment?

On 1/30/2023 at 5:21 PM, Ghostwedge said:

I know all about them and Sam was still upset about the 82, he says it was 88.

Yet about 30 were against "a minimum of 3 other local pros and other possible ams." Basically if 4 pros showed up and some other locals joined, they could play 36 holes and Snead got the win. 82 is impressive for sure, but in reality, it is probably around the 40-50 mark against a full field of pro golfers.

14 hours ago, hook_or_slice said:

Supposedly he hit the ball straighter than anyone else before or since.

Yeah, heard that. Have yet to understand why I need to be impressed.

And I'm not deliberately trying to be a "Richard" or anything. It's a legitimate point of curiosity for me.

But, perhaps a matter of taste? - which of course can't be arbitrated.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge