2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Arcadia Bluffs Trip

icegator337

I’m in the early stages of planning a trip to Arcadia Bluffs in late May of 2024. 

Current plan is to fly in to Grand Rapids rent a car, play a round at pilgrims run on our way to tullymore resort. Stay two nights there (36 at tullymore the full day we’re there then drive to Arcadia bluffs for a two night stay and 36 each day before heading home

My main question is Tullymore resort a good location for our “other” resort for the trip? And will conditions be good in late May?

We’re coming from Louisiana so I know nothing about the area. Also, we’re trying to keep total trip costs down so I ruled out forest dunes as the other resort

thanks in advance

Edited by icegator337

Tullymore resort is nice. Lodging is very nice and food available on site is really good.  The only other option as a resort on the way from GR to Arcadia would be Manistee National but Tullymore is way better. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

@BG5 should have some good information for you. He was helpful for me on a Forest Dunes trip. 

Im not sure how it all works out with flights and if there’s another decent resort around but I would look into FD  instead of Arcadia. The short course and putting course are a ton of fun on buddies trips. I think resorts that include then have a massive advantage over those that don’t. You will also get 3 courses, counting the loop at 2, instead or 2 like at Arcadia.

Price wise should be very similar. Last I looked Arcadia was a bit more due to lodging. The standard rooms at Arcadia appear nicer than standard at FD but the 4 person suits in the lodge are very comfortable. Also have cottages on site that would be great if you don’t mind not being in walking distance to the clubhouse. 

If you end up at Forest Dunes you could fly through Detroit. I assume that would give you better options  for flights. I don’t know where in LA but if it’s NO I’m sure you could save some time and money by flying direct that way. Should only be 30-45 more minutes from Detroit to FD than GR to Arcadia. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4

Late May conditions should be fine.  With that timing I'd recommend Arcadia over Forest Dunes, the areas along the lakeshore get a bit of a head start on the season.

Tullymore is a fine second resort, though it isn't my favorite highly-rated course.  It is a bit of a drive to Arcadia, so if you're playing 36 then driving you'll get in fairly late.  

You will love Arcadia and late May should be just fine.  Weather will not be perfect but just bring enough warm cloths because the temps are about 10 colder on the lake.

I have never been a huge fan of Tullymore....its a very nice resort and has some nice courses but they just dont do much for me.  I would go to Forest Dunes for a few days as its an amazing place and well worth the money.  The drive from Forest Dunes to Arcadia is a little over 2 hours and I actually played both courses on the same day about 10 years ago....pretty cool to say the least.  Pilgrims Run is a great track as well.

Anyhow...If I was coming all the way from Louisiana then I would play Forest Dunes over Tullymore.  If you are not interested in that then I am sure you will still have fun at Tullymore

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

3 hours ago, BG5 said:

You will love Arcadia and late May should be just fine.  Weather will not be perfect but just bring enough warm cloths because the temps are about 10 colder on the lake.

I have never been a huge fan of Tullymore....its a very nice resort and has some nice courses but they just dont do much for me.  I would go to Forest Dunes for a few days as its an amazing place and well worth the money.  The drive from Forest Dunes to Arcadia is a little over 2 hours and I actually played both courses on the same day about 10 years ago....pretty cool to say the least.  Pilgrims Run is a great track as well.

Anyhow...If I was coming all the way from Louisiana then I would play Forest Dunes over Tullymore.  If you are not interested in that then I am sure you will still have fun at Tullymore

I couldn't agree with this more. If you can swing it cost wise please don't skip over Forest Dunes and the loop for Tullymore.

We got an airbnb and stayed in traverse city. City is great there, awesome restaurants, good scenery, and the city is right in the middle of all the great courses up there. Hour from Arcadia, hour from forest dunes, 45 minutes from Sundance. Gran traverse resort courses are great too if you want to get another 18 after your main round for the day. 

On 1/30/2023 at 7:25 AM, knickerbocker said:

Tullymore resort is nice. Lodging is very nice and food available on site is really good.  The only other option as a resort on the way from GR to Arcadia would be Manistee National but Tullymore is way better. 

Crystal Mountain is on the way up too and a good option.

But Yeah...Forest Dunes is even better than Arcadia imo...so you should really consider that if coming from LA.

• 2 months later...

Anyone play Arcadia and Forest Dunes in October? How were the course conditions ? Don’t mind cooler weather and some Fall foliage would be nice as well. Looking for a trip down the road to do that out of Grand Rapids ( southwest flight on points). More driving I know than Traverse City but the flight will be covered. 

3 hours ago, TexasTitleistUser said:

Anyone play Arcadia and Forest Dunes in October? How were the course conditions ? Don’t mind cooler weather and some Fall foliage would be nice as well. Looking for a trip down the road to do that out of Grand Rapids ( southwest flight on points). More driving I know than Traverse City but the flight will be covered. 

I have not played Forest Dunes, but I understand they close for the season in mid-October.  Weather in October is hit-or-miss, it might snow, it might be 70.

1 hour ago, postfold said:

I have not played Forest Dunes, but I understand they close for the season in mid-October.  Weather in October is hit-or-miss, it might snow, it might be 70.

yes I saw they close mid October. I would play Forest Dunes first then head over to Arcadia Bluffs. Just wanted an idea if anyone has played them and what they were like at that time. 

15 hours ago, TexasTitleistUser said:

yes I saw they close mid October. I would play Forest Dunes first then head over to Arcadia Bluffs. Just wanted an idea if anyone has played them and what they were like at that time. 

They are both generally in great shape, but there is a good chance the high grass could be cut down at arcadia by then. Still a great course, but it looks spectacular when the high grass is up.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I am also looking at this trip for Sept 24. I just can't figure out the best route to take coming from Nashville.

We have the option to fly into Traverse City or Manistee County Blocker, both with a stop at ORD. We go every year from Wed-Sun.

My thoughts:

Fly into Manistee or Traverse City on Wednesday, drive to Arcadia and play 36 on Thursday.

Drive to Forest Dunes on Friday morning, play 18 in the afternoon.

Play what ever we didn't play at Forest Dunes on Saturday.

Fly out of Traverse City or Manistee on Sunday

Anyone have any better ideas?

Edited by Wbarksda

On 8/16/2023 at 12:24 PM, Wbarksda said:

I am also looking at this trip for Sept 24. I just can't figure out the best route to take coming from Nashville.

We have the option to fly into Traverse City or Manistee County Blocker, both with a stop at ORD. We go every year from Wed-Sun.

My thoughts:

Fly into Manistee or Traverse City on Wednesday, drive to Arcadia and play 36 on Thursday.

Drive to Forest Dunes on Friday morning, play 18 in the afternoon.

Play what ever we didn't play at Forest Dunes on Saturday.

Fly out of Traverse City or Manistee on Sunday

Anyone have any better ideas?

Does this look like a good golf trip for Michigan?

13 minutes ago, Wbarksda said:

Does this look like a good golf trip for Michigan?

Looks like a great trip to me. My assumption is you'd play both courses at Arcadia, I've not yet played the South course, but I love Bluffs. I've not played Forest Dunes but it's one of the best public tracks in the area; their Loop course has kind of a love/hate relationship with most. Assuming the weather cooperates it should be a beautiful time of year to be up there.

You likely won't get much input on airports as most that travel to these courses are from the Midwest and drive. I know nothing about either airport, but Traverse City is the biggest city in Northern MI, where Manistee is fairly small, so I'm guessing the TC airport would have more options even though Manistee is closer to Arcadia.

• Like 1