Trouble Choosing: ZX5 vs ZX7

captwilks67

Hello! The MK2s have arrived and I’m feeling confusing as to what I should get. Currently playing New Level 623CBs and love them, just want Srixons. 

im not a low handicap by any means, and am currently looking to break 90 this season, and want an iron that will be easy to swing/with some forgiveness, but also not feel chunky and heavy. 

I have swung both the zx5 and zx7 and love them. They are awesome irons, but when I tested I leaned zx7. I am now just grumbling in my mind on whether I should go complete set of zx7, zx5, or a combo set of the two. 

my most common miss is a thinned or fat shot, hence the avoidance of chunky clubs. Game improvement irons don’t help me, but feel cumbersome and unwieldily. Hence the new levels, which I love. 

anyways, beyond all of the, “go get fitted” comments, I’m looking for general thoughts on the three options here. What are you guys experiencing and what are your thoughts? 

Why not combo set but get the ZX5 in the longer irons where you need more forgiveness like the 4-6i range or whatever you're getting honestly? 

• Like 4

Lefty

Driver: 8° Cobra LTDxLS | Mitsubishi C6 Onyx 60X

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST | Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i-PW Srixon 785 | AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): TP Mills Trad II | Cody James Patriot | NCW Morris | CMD Gauge R | KB-9306 | Kraken Bourne 3.0 | and more. 

WITB Thread

I originally wanted the 7s, but after further pondering I went with the 5s.  I can always use the forgiveness.  I am a single digit handicap and my iron game is a weak spot.  I ordered 5-6 srixon hybrid, which are awesome btw and 7-pw zx5.  I want the game to be easier.  

• Like 2

Ping G425 
Ping G410
XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
Titleist T300 w/MMT 125s
SeeMore Putter
Vokey Wedges

Had the original version of the ZX irons -- combo'd them.. 

4i - ZX utility 

5i, 6i - ZX 5

7i and up - ZX 7 

Freaking love them -- can't really tell the difference in the top line between the 6i and the 7i -- but I like to hit a simple fade with all my irons and have been playing since I was 5 yo.. For someone starting out and that needs the foregiveness, I would echo what others have said in this thread -- go for the foregiveness

• Like 2

I am a lower index, but play a combo ZX7 and Zx5 (4-5 in ZX5 and 6-P in ZX7, i have used this combo since 785/585). I just got my MK 2 set a few weeks abo and I must say this is the first time the 5 series feels as soft and good as the 7's. The 5's have wider soles and will give you extra protection from the fat shot (in my opinion fat thin dual miss usually starts with a fat shot, then the fear of hitting fat leads to a little pull up and thin shots). But 5's are definitely anti fat with their sole design. I say go all 5's, and if you improve this year you can always blend in some zx7's at the top of the set, but they both feel really good.  

• Like 4

Really good to know. My fear was that the sole thickness of the 5s adds weight and changes my swing. Additionally, the sole thickness would have a tendency to get stuck digging into the ground instead of cutting through the turf, as a thinner sole would. 

what I am understanding on the latter part is that I wouldn’t have to worry about the latter issue due to the v sole and the fact that they aren’t much thicker in retrospect. 

I’m an 11 handicap and hit my irons pretty good. I game a combo set of previous version X5/X7 irons. I am super shallow and rarely take a divot so I also don’t like wide soles and chunky clubs. I started with X5s in 5-7 and X7 in 8-PW. I found the X7s to be very forgiving that I actually now game 6 and 7 irons in X7 as well. I preferred the feel, performance and gaping when I replaced the X5 6 and 7 irons. 

So the only X5 I currently game is the 5 iron. I have an X7 5 iron but I feel that’s where my performance drops off between the two combo sets so X7 5 iron is in the closet. I didn’t have to make any loft adjustments with current setup of X5 5 / X7 6-PW. 

• Like 1

In the process of moving over to combo set....so far have the 7 iron in ZX5 and ordered the 9 iron in ZX7.  Planning to hit that and decide what to do with 8 iron. 

Currently, planning on 6-8I in ZX5 and 9I-AW in ZX7.   Seen both in person and as others have stated the topline is identical which is pretty cool

Ping G430 SFT Ventus Blue 6R

Contemplating gap...

Srixon ZX7 MK II 7I-GW SF i110CW 
Mizuno T22 54D, 58D
Mizuno M Craft VI

40 minutes ago, JLo_73 said:

In the process of moving over to combo set....so far have the 7 iron in ZX5 and ordered the 9 iron in ZX7.  Planning to hit that and decide what to do with 8 iron. 

Currently, planning on 6-8I in ZX5 and 9I-AW in ZX7.   Seen both in person and as others have stated the topline is identical which is pretty cool

I will be curious on your thoughts if you don’t mind following up 

• Like 1

I had the same dilemma when deciding on Srixon's previous generation of irons (zx7/zx5/combo) but wanted improved turf interaction as my GI irons at the time tended to get a bit chunky. The zx7's felt terrific in testing but the zx5's offered a bit more distance and forgiveness. As a person who is not a low HC and tries to hit straight iron shots 95% of the time, I know that I made the right choice in going with the zx5. 

For a while I was kicking myself for not going with the zx5/zx7 combo but the OCD in me actually likes having one model of iron in the bag. I have enjoyed my zx5's so much that I eventually purchased a matching 3i and 4i to go along with the set! Best of luck and know that regardless of which route you choose, you will end up with some awesome irons.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Sound advice from @dhen9.  I also think it is best to play clubs that help you shoot your best scores now and keep improving. And if you really want a ZX7, put the 9-PW in the bag. Not going to hurt you. But I do not believe you’re going to “dial in” your ball striking with the 7s any more than the 5. For that kind of work better to buy a used blade 6 or 7 iron to practice with at the range. I find that useful. When you’re out there in the real world hitting shots that count, it doesn’t work that way. You need confidence and consistency.

I have played the 7 series and loved them. Great irons. The 745 is one of the best ever. They’ve all been good. The thing is, the 5 series is the one that has really improved since those days — the ZX5 MKII is so much better than the 545 long iron I once played. I know how the 7 series plays. So I am testing the ZX5 MKII and ZX4 irons right now (against Mizuno 923 Forged and Hot Metal Pros). I have hit the new ZX5 indoors and was very impressed. I wanted to get them outside. The pro let me borrow a 6 and 8 iron and I had them in the bag for 9 holes on Saturday in really wet conditions and they did well.  I hit some towering 6 irons that dead stopped on greens. The 8 iron is as precise as any MB I have played. There’s nothing lacking in the ZX5. 

If you have proper forward shaft lean, the back half of the v-sole hardly touches the ground. Very in and out. It doesn’t play wide. However, if you are doing the opposite and adding loft at impact, or hitting right at or slightly behind the ball, you engage more of the sole and it saves you because it glides instead of digging. 

The ZX7 is forgiving, but in context — it is forgiving for a forged cavity back. Strong ball strikers find it “as forgiving as the 5” because they’re hitting both irons mostly in the middle of the face. They could play any iron. All irons are forgiving on center strikes. But if you’re not practicing a lot, hard to count on that. The ball speed retention across the face of the ZX5 on all mishits is a major differentiator. I would say look at the ZX4 too. It may be the most improved golf iron of 2023.

Given I play the 623CB currently from new level and love them, I had thought the zx7 was the ticket for me. Slightly more forgiving and honestly better feeling. I practice every day weather permitting, thus the reason as to why I was thinking about them. 

given all this though, I think I might benefit from the zx5 for now. 

1 hour ago, captwilks67 said:

Given I play the 623CB currently from new level and love them, I had thought the zx7 was the ticket for me. Slightly more forgiving and honestly better feeling. I practice every day weather permitting, thus the reason as to why I was thinking about them. 

given all this though, I think I might benefit from the zx5 for now. 

623CB is an excellent iron. It is a Tour-level iron like the ZX7. If you are comfortable with the 623 all the way, you can handle the ZX7. No doubt you can play a full set and you won’t do poorly. You are playing that kind of iron now. The ZX7 is going to perform a lot like the 623CB. Maybe the Srixon is slightly more forgiving. Maybe. But you have to decide whether that is the optimal set, which is a different criterion. For me personally, if I see my full set matching a set played by a PGA Tour player, I don’t get excited, I get worried. I wonder if I really should have the same full set as guys who work on their games 10 hours a day!

One check is if you notice the 632 becomes less consistent at 5 or 6 or 7 iron, in the Srixons that is where you may shift to the ZX5. I don’t think sole width will affect you. i really like New Level irons and one thing I have not noticed is the ZX5 sole feeling much different from New Level soles, which are flatter. You likely will be using mostly the front half of the v-sole if you’re striking it well. 

I find clubs such as ZX5 are not necessarily better all the time in the long irons — if you hit the 623CB 5 iron great, it’s great — but they are better at key times, such as giving you a better result on mediocre swings or when you get nervous. They cover up that imperfect strike more. So I don’t see any disadvantages to the ZX5. I know if I hit 20 shots each with the 623 and ZX5 5 irons — on course — I will hit more

good ones with the ZX5. Over time I would bet you’ll benefit from that in the long and mid-irons. You don’t have to hit it as pure to get pretty much the same distance. 

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, dhen9 said:

Aaaaaaand here we go with the "I play better with more demanding irons." 

🍿🍿🍿

Or maybe I just enjoy the feeling of the 623s compared to the p790s I had before. And I like the sound and when you hit them well, it feels like butter. That’s pretty cool. I don’t give a s*** what is what. If I enjoy them, and they feel good, I’ll probably buy them. Hence me buying 5 different sets last year til I settled on the 902PDs and the 623CBs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

623CB is an excellent iron. It is a Tour-level iron like the ZX7. If you are comfortable with the 623 all the way, you can handle the ZX7. No doubt you can play a full set and you won’t do poorly. You are playing that kind of iron now. The ZX7 is going to perform a lot like the 623CB. Maybe the Srixon is slightly more forgiving. Maybe. But you have to decide whether that is the optimal set, which is a different criterion. For me personally, if I see my full set matching a set played by a PGA Tour player, I don’t get excited, I get worried. I wonder if I really should have the same full set as guys who work on their games 10 hours a day!

One check is if you notice the 632 becomes less consistent at 5 or 6 or 7 iron, in the Srixons that is where you may shift to the ZX5. I don’t think sole width will affect you. i really like New Level irons and one thing I have not noticed is the ZX5 sole feeling much different from New Level soles, which are flatter. You likely will be using mostly the front half of the v-sole if you’re striking it well. 

I find clubs such as ZX5 are not necessarily better all the time in the long irons — if you hit the 623CB 5 iron great, it’s great — but they are better at key times, such as giving you a better result on mediocre swings or when you get nervous. They cover up that imperfect strike more. So I don’t see any disadvantages to the ZX5. I know if I hit 20 shots each with the 623 and ZX5 5 irons — on course — I will hit more

good ones with the ZX5. Over time I would bet you’ll benefit from that in the long and mid-irons. You don’t have to hit it as pure to get pretty much the same distance. 

Thank you. I think based off of this, I’ll just go ZX5 throughout and enjoy the heck out of them. Thank you everyone. 

• Like 1

You get the 5's if for no other reason than the 7's AW is an atrocity. Throw in a couple RTX5 as a value pick and viola, ya got yourself a set of irons ya won't regret. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, Golfer, but you'll soon realize here we all game our Endo forged JDM blades that were finished on the same polishing wheel as ancient Samurai swords of 10,000 folds all while reaching 186 ball speed and TX flex sometimes feel too whippy. All while not breaking 90. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Sound advice from @dhen9.  I also think it is best to play clubs that help you shoot your best scores now and keep improving. And if you really want a ZX7, put the 9-PW in the bag. Not going to hurt you. But I do not believe you’re going to “dial in” your ball striking with the 7s any more than the 5. For that kind of work better to buy a used blade 6 or 7 iron to practice with at the range. I find that useful. When you’re out there in the real world hitting shots that count, it doesn’t work that way. You need confidence and consistency.

I have played the 7 series and loved them. Great irons. The 745 is one of the best ever. They’ve all been good. The thing is, the 5 series is the one that has really improved since those days — the ZX5 MKII is so much better than the 545 long iron I once played. I know how the 7 series plays. So I am testing the ZX5 MKII and ZX4 irons right now (against Mizuno 923 Forged and Hot Metal Pros). I have hit the new ZX5 indoors and was very impressed. I wanted to get them outside. The pro let me borrow a 6 and 8 iron and I had them in the bag for 9 holes on Saturday in really wet conditions and they did well.  I hit some towering 6 irons that dead stopped on greens. The 8 iron is as precise as any MB I have played. There’s nothing lacking in the ZX5. 

If you have proper forward shaft lean, the back half of the v-sole hardly touches the ground. Very in and out. It doesn’t play wide. However, if you are doing the opposite and adding loft at impact, or hitting right at or slightly behind the ball, you engage more of the sole and it saves you because it glides instead of digging. 

The ZX7 is forgiving, but in context — it is forgiving for a forged cavity back. Strong ball strikers find it “as forgiving as the 5” because they’re hitting both irons mostly in the middle of the face. They could play any iron. All irons are forgiving on center strikes. But if you’re not practicing a lot, hard to count on that. The ball speed retention across the face of the ZX5 on all mishits is a major differentiator. I would say look at the ZX4 too. It may be the most improved golf iron of 2023.

Excellent post, and spot on about having proper forward shaft lean.

The ZX5'S  are a blast to play.

Worth a look at, if your in the market.

• Thanks 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

28 minutes ago, dhen9 said:

You get the 5's if for no other reason than the 7's AW is an atrocity. Throw in a couple RTX5 as a value pick and viola, ya got yourself a set of irons ya won't regret. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, Golfer, but you'll soon realize here we all game our Endo forged JDM blades that were finished on the same polishing wheel as ancient Samurai swords of 10,000 folds all while reaching 186 ball speed and TX flex sometimes feel too whippy. All while not breaking 90. 😉

I get riled up easy. Yeah I’m probably gonna do exactly what your saying. I do love my edel wedges tho. My g430 driver arrived and so I’m thinking about doing a complete new set and filling it out with 430 4 hybrid, 5 and 7 wood. 50,54,58 zip cores.