The Grove - is it playable?

teeituphigh

So - a colleague and I are travelling from New Zealand to Florida with a day to play golf on April 2nd before flying out. We want to play somewhere awesome as we are travelling all the way across the world.

My question:

Is getting on The Grove possible? Or any other awesome exclusive course around the West Palm Beach area (max 1 hour drive?)

I have trade bait for someone who could possibly host us if they are ever in New Zealand...... www.tearai.com

I could be barking up the wrong tree but though id try find something!

Best bet is to ask your head pro to call or email the pro at some of the private clubs in that area to see if you can get out.  

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

Hate to burst your bubble, but you aren't getting on the Grove without an invite from a member. Pearls makes a good point that if you want to try and play a private club, getting your head pro to contact them is the best place to start. Otherwise, there are plenty of solid public options in the area.

Out of curiosity, what is your "trade bait" for Te Arai? Their website says anyone can play currently as long they stay on-site, and starting in October they'll also accept daily public play.

Edited by Abh159

Im actually a Head Pro myself would you believe. I guess the difference between a lot of courses ive come across (and played) in the past is that emails or messages are answered/returned even if its a 'No sorry' so it is getting very difficult to find a few games whilst in Florida prior to going to Pinehurst. Ive never been to Florida but everything written taints the courses as 'flat and boring' which doesnt sound ideal.

Trade bait was probably the wrong phrase..... I'm a member at Te Arai and would really enjoy returning the favour of hosting someone if they ever made it to New Zealand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, teeituphigh said:

Im actually a Head Pro myself would you believe. I guess the difference between a lot of courses ive come across (and played) in the past is that emails or messages are answered/returned even if its a 'No sorry' so it is getting very difficult to find a few games whilst in Florida prior to going to Pinehurst. Ive never been to Florida but everything written taints the courses as 'flat and boring' which doesnt sound ideal.

Trade bait was probably the wrong phrase..... I'm a member at Te Arai and would really enjoy returning the favour of hosting someone if they ever made it to New Zealand.

Flat and boring like Seminole, Streamsong, Copperhead, Calusa Pines, .....................................

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, teeituphigh said:

Ive never been to Florida but everything written taints the courses as 'flat and boring' which doesnt sound ideal.

Flat... yes. Florida is the flattest state in the US. The highest point is a mere 300 feet.

Boring... depends on your definition of boring I guess. Plenty of really great courses in Florida.

Yeah they look pretty good and interesting to me - different to New Zealand golf thats for sure so I am unsure what to make of an underlying tone of 'a standard Florida golf course' Im excited for it and looking forward to coming stateside thats for sure. 

300ft - thats crazy!

What would be your suggestions of courses within an hour of West Palm Beach?

(Appreciate the helps gents - in no way am I meaning to slight Florida and its golf courses either - I have no reason too as I haven't been!)

On 2/3/2023 at 1:33 PM, teeituphigh said:

Yeah they look pretty good and interesting to me - different to New Zealand golf thats for sure so I am unsure what to make of an underlying tone of 'a standard Florida golf course' Im excited for it and looking forward to coming stateside thats for sure. 

300ft - thats crazy!

What would be your suggestions of courses within an hour of West Palm Beach?

(Appreciate the helps gents - in no way am I meaning to slight Florida and its golf courses either - I have no reason too as I haven't been!)

Some of the top private clubs- Bear's Club, Dye Preserve, Admirals Cove, Old Marsh, Old Palm, Trump West Palm and Trump, Loxahatchee, Medalist, McArthur, etc.  There is High Ridge, Banyan, BallenIsles, and Mirasol.  Another one that you can prob get on no problem that is about 40-45 min from Palm Beach is Tesoro Club- two 18 hole courses- one Arnold Palmer Signature Course and the other is a Tom Watson.  New ownership and spending millions bringing the place back to life.  Clubhouse is very similar to TPC Sawgrass (same designer I believe).  

22 hours ago, pearls24 said:

Some of the top private clubs- Bear's Club, Dye Preserve, Admirals Cove, Old Marsh, Old Palm, Trump West Palm and Trump, Loxahatchee, Medalist, McArthur, etc.  There is High Ridge, Banyan, BallenIsles, and Mirasol.  Another one that you can prob get on no problem that is about 40-45 min from Palm Beach is Tesoro Club- two 18 hole courses- one Arnold Palmer Signature Course and the other is a Tom Watson.  New ownership and spending millions bringing the place back to life.  Clubhouse is very similar to TPC Sawgrass (same designer I believe).  

Seriously, Tesoro is coming back?

• Like 1

Yes, a friend of mine is friends with the new owner's son.  He has spent millions into the place.  Playing it this Friday so I'll report back.  

On 2/5/2023 at 3:48 PM, pearls24 said:

Great info. Thanks for this. I have been in contact with a few of these so will wait to hear back.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 1:54 PM, pearls24 said:

Yes, a friend of mine is friends with the new owner's son.  He has spent millions into the place.  Playing it this Friday so I'll report back.  

Yes let me know how that turns out.  Was a pretty nice course when I played it but it has to be the weirdest experience of my life.  

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 6:34 PM, golfortennis said:

Yes let me know how that turns out.  Was a pretty nice course when I played it but it has to be the weirdest experience of my life.  

So I ended up playing Tesoro twice.  The course is very challenging.  The slope from the Blue/Gold combo is like 139 and from the tips it is 148.  The greens, fairways, tee boxes, and first cut of rough were all in great shape.  Outside the first cut of rough it can be a little hit or miss.  Apparently they will be redoing the entire course soon with new grass so they aren't really doing much to it right now other than the main areas.  There are only around 70 or so members right now so pace of play is awesome.  The par 3's are awesome.  There are a lot of forced carry shots there.  The front 9 is a bit tight and the back 9 opens up a little more.  Def a course worth playing if you can.  

13 hours ago, pearls24 said:

So I ended up playing Tesoro twice.  The course is very challenging.  The slope from the Blue/Gold combo is like 139 and from the tips it is 148.  The greens, fairways, tee boxes, and first cut of rough were all in great shape.  Outside the first cut of rough it can be a little hit or miss.  Apparently they will be redoing the entire course soon with new grass so they aren't really doing much to it right now other than the main areas.  There are only around 70 or so members right now so pace of play is awesome.  The par 3's are awesome.  There are a lot of forced carry shots there.  The front 9 is a bit tight and the back 9 opens up a little more.  Def a course worth playing if you can.  

Did they re-open both courses?  I had played the Palmer course I believe it was(whichever one played the tournament back about 15 years ago when they hosted one).     

On 2/7/2023 at 6:34 PM, golfortennis said:

Right!?!  Totally agree.  I was there when the housing crisis hit.  Place was desolate - yet the courses were in immaculate condition.  Going back about 10 years now.

Nice to hear it is coming back.  Both tracks there were solid.

The Watson course is not open and is being 100% redone.  Believe they are starting on that within a year.  They said it doesn't make sense to have 2 courses right now with only around 70 members.