2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

PXG Golf Ball

scott406

4 minutes ago, LoopySwing13 said:

I don’t really care for his reviews anymore since he can barely break 80. As I have said, and stand by, the ball isn’t that bad and it WILL NOT replace the ProV line. That said, I took out my old Chrome Soft X LS and it performed better. Less green side spin than ideal, which was my main issue, but the ball is ok (PXG). It’s not bad for people who want a 3 layer tour-ish ball but not pay 50+. It’s a poor version of the tour response as best I can put it. Cover needs improvement but it’s fine. A bit expensive for what you get but likely to improve Gen2. 

3 minutes ago, Arec80 said:

What I take from the review is basically what some have previously said. It sounds like a Kirkland at 3x price. 

Kirkland x1.5 but still more expensive 😂 

I can't imagine they really believe this would compete with the high level tour balls (ProV, TP5, and etc.). I hope they are trying to compete or steal away market share from the DTC brands and mid-level ball offerings.

One thing I've noticed is that price seems to keep being brought up here. OMG $20 less that ProV1's that's insane!!!!!! 🤪 (exaggerating a bit obviously). But PXG's model of being online only for 99% of the population that doesn't live near one of their physical locations really does change that selling point. For example... 

1 dozen PXG balls: $39.99 + $7.50 shipping = $47.49

1 dozen ProV1 balls: $55 in store

Sure, if you order 3+ dozen you can get free shipping, but how many people are really doing that? So at the end of the day we're really only talking about a per ball discount of 65¢ compared to a ProV1, and even less for the other top level balls... 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Arec80 said:

I get Kirkland at Costco for 34.99/ two dozen.  PXG is 40 for one. So, actually 2.25x higher. Lol

I meant performance is better then Kirkland (1.5X) but yes, price is 2X.

Again, I’m a unique case where I spin every premium ball 2K off driver so they are all low spin for me, I guess I just find it funny when people say balls “suck” since I see basically the same performance. Again, high spin players STAY AWAY. I am just trying to be brutal honest that it WONT be better than most people’s ball preference, but it’s not THAT bad. My buddy is a +1 high spin player and he watched me hit it and knew it wouldn’t be for him (and he is PXG staffer  playing AVX). 

I probably come off as a homer and I do love the clubs, the ball is meh, plain and simple. I just wish I could find a slightly more spinny greenside ball with good tee performance.

Prov1 is probably as close as I can get but don’t love it off the tee. 

/personal rant

Edited by LoopySwing13

33 minutes ago, Arec80 said:

What I take from the review is basically what some have previously said. It sounds like a Kirkland at 3x price. 

It certainly seems that way. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

2 hours ago, LoopySwing13 said:

I don’t really care for his reviews anymore since he can barely break 80. As I have said, and stand by, the ball isn’t that bad and it WILL NOT replace the ProV line. That said, I took out my old Chrome Soft X LS and it performed better. Less green side spin than ideal, which was my main issue, but the ball is ok (PXG). It’s not bad for people who want a 3 layer tour-ish ball but not pay 50+. It’s a poor version of the tour response as best I can put it. Cover needs improvement but it’s fine. A bit expensive for what you get but likely to improve Gen2. 

in regards to his comments, his two big issues are feel and driver spin/distance. Feel is subjective, I like the slightly firmer feel personally so to each their own. I also found them very spiny greenside, and his short game is eh.. so not sure I can take it with much merit.

Driver wise, I stated earlier I can see it as a slightly higher spin ball. Irons 3ish yards shorter for me but no issue with driver. It comes off lower with slightly less spin.. again for me. 

Take his review for what you will, it’s a $35/dozen ball no matter how you slice it (pun intended). Will be best for low spin players IMO and isn’t awful. It needs adjustments which I expect next go around.. but no, it won’t replace prov if that’s your deal. 

Lol, what an awful opening sentence. Rick has tested an insane amount of products and is just giving his opinion. He didn't like a golf ball and his results were bad. Don't make dumb statements like that.

42 minutes ago, Wanny said:

Lol, what an awful opening sentence. Rick has tested an insane amount of products and is just giving his opinion. He didn't like a golf ball and his results were bad. Don't make dumb statements like that.

So my opinion that his game has tanked so I don’t personally like his reviews isn’t allowed? 

Regardless I am going back to non-PXG balls. Hope version 2 is better. 

Edited by LoopySwing13

4 hours ago, SteelieD said:

Good Gawd. With all the bickering about balls on this site, I would LOVE to see a ball test with unbranded balls (no logos on the balls). I bet 90% of us (myself included) couldn’t find a significant performance difference amongst balls with similar specs. 

Branding/perception are everything. 

Fire away 😂

LOL Soooo true...! What would be even funnier is 90% of the testers would end up finding there is a better ball out there for thier game then what they are playing..!  I would bet many would be shocked it might a be mid-tier ball...! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LoopySwing13 said:

So my opinion that his game has tanked so I don’t personally like his reviews isn’t allowed? 

He shot under par in this video a few weeks back.    Though would agree he is not playing as well as he used too.

Edit: link would not post?

Edited by CDM

12 hours ago, wfrogge1 said:

Ouch

It seemed as though he didn't show any launch monitor data for the pitches and irons.  Also, for driver - I figured since he was outdoors he would show us the landing area but he didn't do that either.

Feel feedback will always be relative to your current ball so that's player dependent.

I hope to see some more comparisons with these.  Probably also throw in the Pro V1x.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LoopySwing13 said:

I don’t think his game has necessarily tanked.  He’s played pretty well recently.  He shot a 78 in pretty terrible conditions in his last video and a 69 I think in the one before that when he played with James and Guy.  

It’s just his opinion he’s played the ProVI for over 20 years and has given glowing reviews to plenty of other balls.  I for one don’t like the Kirkland ball and he gave it a great review.  

Edited by 'Noles2013

13 hours ago, Abh159 said:

I can't imagine they really believe this would compete with the high level tour balls (ProV, TP5, and etc.). I hope they are trying to compete or steal away market share from the DTC brands and mid-level ball offerings.

One thing I've noticed is that price seems to keep being brought up here. OMG $20 less that ProV1's that's insane!!!!!! 🤪 (exaggerating a bit obviously). But PXG's model of being online only for 99% of the population that doesn't live near one of their physical locations really does change that selling point. For example... 

1 dozen PXG balls: $39.99 + $7.50 shipping = $47.49

1 dozen ProV1 balls: $55 in store

Sure, if you order 3+ dozen you can get free shipping, but how many people are really doing that? So at the end of the day we're really only talking about a per ball discount of 65¢ compared to a ProV1, and even less for the other top level balls... 

It’s even worse in the UK as it’s £45 plus shipping for a dozen PXG as it’s direct. I can get the TP5 for £40 a dozen free shipping, the Bridgestone tour balls for £35-40 a dozen free shipping and the pro v1 or chrome soft for £48 a dozen free shipping. Where’s the incentive to pay MORE for a worse ball?

I suspect it’s this price so they can then say it’s “on sale” at a price to compete with the tour response, ad333, etc.

Titleist TSR2 10 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Hzrdus smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Titleist Pro V1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

21 hours ago, LoopySwing13 said:

Just because he can't score as low as he used to doesn't mean that he can't review a product and give an objective opinion. 

33 minutes ago, wfrogge1 said:

Just because he can't score as low as he used to doesn't mean that he can't review a product and give an objective opinion. 

True, but we shouldn't be relying on the likes of Rick Shillings, spy sites and all the other attention starved YouTubers to tell us what equipment is good for you or not. What does or doesn't work for them may have a different result with you or me. If you're interested in something, go test and find out for yourselves. This ball seems to be decent, some will like and others will not, just like every other ball in the market.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

True, but we shouldn't be relying on the likes of Rick Shillings, spy sites and all the other attention starved YouTubers to tell us what equipment is good for you or not. What does or doesn't work for them may have a different result with you or me. If you're interested in something, go test and find out for yourselves. This ball seems to be decent, some will like and others will not, just like every other ball in the market.

So are you a current, experienced editorialist for for a well-known golf publication? Yet you are projecting that your opinion about a reviewers opines here is correct, are you not? That's not a personal snipe in any way whatsoever, but if you are going to hold his opinions to a particular standard, then shouldn't you do the same for your own thoughts? If you don't like his opinion, don't sweat it. Heck, I don't even like my OWN opinions sometimes. spacer.png

As my wife tells me so often... "Just move on!" 

• Confused 2

Guess one guys view isn’t the same as another. Matt Fryer just released a review of the ball and found no issues with it. Even stated it was very good….

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 7:21 AM, SteelieD said:

Good Gawd. With all the bickering about balls on this site, I would LOVE to see a ball test with unbranded balls (no logos on the balls). I bet 90% of us (myself included) couldn’t find a significant performance difference amongst balls with similar specs. 

Branding/perception are everything. 

Fire away 😂

Totally Agree. I'm a 4 hdcp and I've been playing quite a bit after work over the last couple of months and have been using all sorts of brands I've tried over the years and no one ball really stands out.  I've been playing in the Hawaiian trade winds; downwind, into the wind, cross wind, etc, and again, no single ball really stands out.  I've been playing ProV1, Vice Pro, Vice Pro Plus, Bridgestone Tour BX/BXS, Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, and Volvik S3/S4.  Sometimes I'll hit 9 to 12 drives on a single hole; 3 x ProV1, 3 x Volvik, 3 x Vice, etc, all under the same conditions.  For me, the Vice Pro has a slight edge taking everything into consideration, but not much of an edge that's going to give me a competitive advantage.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

When a ball is getting scuffed like crazy on pitch shots, there is a big problem. These help us save money on overpriced products.

9 hours ago, JBW said:

Totally Agree. I'm a 4 hdcp and I've been playing quite a bit after work over the last couple of months and have been using all sorts of brands I've tried over the years and no one ball really stands out.  I've been playing in the Hawaiian trade winds; downwind, into the wind, cross wind, etc, and again, no single ball really stands out.  I've been playing ProV1, Vice Pro, Vice Pro Plus, Bridgestone Tour BX/BXS, Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, and Volvik S3/S4.  Sometimes I'll hit 9 to 12 drives on a single hole; 3 x ProV1, 3 x Volvik, 3 x Vice, etc, all under the same conditions.  For me, the Vice Pro has a slight edge taking everything into consideration, but not much of an edge that's going to give me a competitive advantage.  

When the course is not crowded later in the day, I'll do the same. Really taught me how good the Snell MTBX and Vice Pro plus really are. Funny how many good players playing Titleist see me out drive them and work those balls consistently will say they are going to give those a try too. 

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

It is likely out of the same factory as the Kirklands that are made in Vietnam.  Everyone craps on the KSig because it don't match up to the ProV-1.  How about putting it up against the likes of the Srixon, or other $27-$35 /doz. balls.  Micah Morris did a 4 hole on course side by side with the ProV-1 and the Ksig.  He showed minimal differences and actually really liked the ball.  Doubt he will switch to them but they are fine.  If the PXG would bring their price down $25 for 3/doz they will sell A TON of them.  And they will perform perfectly well for 90% of recreational golfers out there.  

Personally, I game the Maxfli Tour CG, Vice Pro, Snell and I still have 4 doz. 2019 version TP5's.  I buy a double dozen Kirklands every year. I game the Kirklands on certain courses with ALOT of water or ball eating hazards for casual rounds and I score what I normally score if I use any of the other balls.  I really see little differences in performance.  I possibly lose a few yards on driver but I can live with a 233 yd. drive vs. a 240 yd. if it is still in the fairway.  

This is the market that PXG is targeting.  They are DEFINITELY NOT targeting WRX'ers for sure!!  LOL

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 9:09 AM, wfrogge1 said:

I need to see his golf handicap before accepting his review  /s 

He would beat Shiels like a drum. Actually he probably has one of the best short games of any of the YouTube guys. 

Edited by hammergolf

28 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

It is likely out of the same factory as the Kirklands that are made in Vietnam.  Everyone craps on the KSig because it don't match up to the ProV-1.  How about putting it up against the likes of the Srixon, or other $27-$35 /doz. balls.  Micah Morris did a 4 hole on course side by side with the ProV-1 and the Ksig.  He showed minimal differences and actually really liked the ball.  Doubt he will switch to them but they are fine.  If the PXG would bring their price down $25 for 3/doz they will sell A TON of them.  And they will perform perfectly well for 90% of recreational golfers out there.  

Personally, I game the Maxfli Tour CG, Vice Pro, Snell and I still have 4 doz. 2019 version TP5's.  I buy a double dozen Kirklands every year. I game the Kirklands on certain courses with ALOT of water or ball eating hazards for casual rounds and I score what I normally score if I use any of the other balls.  I really see little differences in performance.  I possibly lose a few yards on driver but I can live with a 233 yd. drive vs. a 240 yd. if it is still in the fairway.  

This is the market that PXG is targeting.  They are DEFINITELY NOT targeting WRX'ers for sure!!  LOL

I chuckle when people talk about the factory that made the original Kirkland. That factory also made Taylormade balls before that really well liked.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

I chuckle when people talk about the factory that made the original Kirkland. That factory also made Taylormade balls before that really well liked.

The OG Ksig 4 pc was made by Nassau Golf out of South Korea I believe.  The 3pc are made wither in China or Vietnam

6 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I possibly lose a few yards on driver but I can live with a 233 yd. drive vs. a 240 yd. if it is still in the fairway.  

What???? Blasphemy! NO ONE on Wrx is that short!!!! 

Except me and you I guess. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TS
Titleist 915F 5W and TSi 7W

Srixon ZX5 w/ Recoil 95
Bettinardi - 56 & 60
Piretti Forza
Titleist AVX