PXG Golf Ball

scott406

On 2/20/2023 at 8:25 AM, Arec80 said:

What I take from the review is basically what some have previously said. It sounds like a Kirkland at 3x price. 

That isn't a terrible business model. There seems to be enough fanboy's to support it.  🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 2/23/2023 at 9:08 AM, lefthack said:

That isn't a terrible business model. There seems to be enough fanboy's to support it.  🤣

I suspect we could see another PXG bait and switch here where they drop the price after a season. If the dropped it down to 29.99 or so, I think it would sell like hotcakes and be a very competitive ball at that price point

1 hour ago, Flip4000 said:

I suspect we could see another PXG bait and switch here where they drop the price after a season. If the dropped it down to 29.99 or so, I think it would sell like hotcakes and be a very competitive ball at that price point

My guess is there are plenty of PXG fanboys willing to pay full price that this was well worth it for them. But yeah, maybe an 021 "distance" ball that's $24.99 that's a rebranded Nitro. 🤣

<edit> I actually like Nitros. 

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

10 minutes ago, biglefthander said:

I know nothing about these guys but they seem pretty excited about it

I don’t swing my driver at 107 any more! I’m a lot older now. What does it do at 98?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

PXG vs Pro V1X

• Like 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+ (Bassara W45)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Mizuno T-zoid Fli-Hi 21* (Adams Ultralight 50g Ladies)

Bridgestone J33 Forged 4-PW  (Reax 55 A-Flex)

Cleveland CBX Full Face 64*

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

23 minutes ago, subrew said:

PXG vs Pro V1X

AND vs the PRO V1???

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

35 minutes ago, subrew said:

PXG vs Pro V1X

Awful, no idea who these guys are or think they are...I'm only listening to negative youtubers, spy sites with a history of awful testing, spreading nasty innuendos and click-baiting along with other golf forum users who won't give the ball a chance because of some guy named Bob...

In all seriousness, lots of balls out there, try some different ones and you might be surprised with the results and save money along the way...

Thanks for posting, they're a better source than 99.9% of the others already posted on this thread IMO...

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Awful, no idea who these guys are or think they are...I'm only listening to negative youtubers, spy sites with a history of awful testing, spreading nasty innuendos and click-baiting along with other golf forum users who won't give the ball a chance because of some guy named Bob...

In all seriousness, lots of balls out there, try some different ones and you might be surprised with the results and save money along the way...

Thanks for posting, they're a better source than 99.9% of the others already posted on this thread IMO...

Lol wasn’t sure where you were going with that.. but I do like their stuff. Just present numbers and no bias.

I found much of the same that they did. 

Driver/3W/5W - slightly less spin with PXG versus Prov, launch and carry pretty close. I gotta say.. I have hit absolute bombs with it. My buddy who is on staff with them easily out drives me by 15 yards carry but hits it much higher.. and I hit a few 3 woods past him in total distance (roll obviously helped) but I really like this ball off the tee. 

Irons - I was a touch shorter comparing 7 iron with both balls.. but honestly 2-3 yards with an iron isn’t a deal breaker. I like the control on this a touch better.

Wedges - wasn’t even close for me.. PXG was much better around the green. I hit several 25-60 yard shots that hit and spun back or stopped dead. I am a very low spin player so this is helpful.

Putter - it’s firmer for sure but I actually don’t mind it. Got used to it. 

I swapped back to ProV after the first 2 sleeves and ended up going back to try it again. I’m pretty sold, for what ever reason the second two sleeves didn’t scuff as bad as the first. Not sure that’s anything to speak about. But for off the tee and around the green I absolutely love it. No need for an alignment line is nice too (thicker than the ProV too which is nice). 

I was pretty certain it wasn’t as good as ProV but after seeing more LM numbers and playing another 3-4 rounds, I think I may stick with it. If they can bring it to $35/dzn I think they will be an absolute winner for many people. 

Edited by LoopySwing13
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, LoopySwing13 said:

Lol wasn’t sure where you were going with that.. but I do like their stuff. Just present numbers and no bias.

Driver/3W/5W - slightly less spin with PXG versus Prov, launch and carry pretty close. I gotta say.. I have hit absolute bombs with it. My buddy who is on staff with them easily out drives me by 15 yards carry but hits it much higher.. and I hit a few 3 woods past him in total distance (roll obviously helped) but I really like this ball off the tee. 

Irons - I was a touch shorter comparing 7 iron with both balls.. but honestly 2-3 yards with an iron isn’t a deal breaker. I like the control on this a touch better.

Wedges - wasn’t even close for me.. PXG was much better around the green. I hit several 25-60 yard shots that hit and spun back or stopped dead. I am a very low spin player so this is helpful.

I swapped back to ProV after the first 2 sleeves and ended up going back to try it again. I’m pretty sold, for what ever reason the second two sleeves didn’t scuff as bad as the first. Not sure that’s anything to speak about. But for off the tee and around the green I absolutely love it. No need for an alignment line is nice too (thicker than the ProV too which is nice). 

I was pretty certain it wasn’t as good as ProV but after seeing more LM numbers and playing another 3-4 rounds, I think I may stick with it. If they can bring it to $35/dzn I think they will be an absolute winner for many people. 

Great info, might have to try them myself! Just for clarification when you say "Prov" are you talking about the ProV1, or the ProV1x? I know the TXG review was vs the ProV1x so just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Albatross Dreamer said:

Great info, might have to try them myself! Just for clarification when you say "Prov" are you talking about the ProV1, or the ProV1x? I know the TXG review was vs the ProV1x so just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Mine was ProV1. I did not get to test against the X, but it certainly spins more than the ProV based on visual testing on the course. Again, I’m a very odd fit, so YMMV. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Played a round with the PXG ball yesterday. I picked up a dozen for the $39 price. It’s a quality ball. Seemed very comparable to other balls I have liked. Feel is excellent. Cover held up great for me and trust me, it was subjected to some thin iron hits. Nice spin around the greens and did well off the tee. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 2/28/2023 at 2:15 PM, LoopySwing13 said:

That was my exact experience this well this weekend.  

Was really impressed with the short game spin, but definitely saw a drop off in the short iron distances (I'd say 8 iron through PW for me).  Had a few balls with short irons fly about 1/2 club shorter than I was expecting.  I couldn't peg it to the ball itself or wind, but there was a noticeable drop off.  

I'll give the ball a few more rounds, but was impressed by the tee balls and short game spin, but loss of short iron yardages was a bit of a surprise on a few approach shots yesterday.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

On 3/25/2023 at 12:27 AM, Morry said:

Tried it today

thought it was great off driver
but a rock with irons wedge and putter

not for me

The word rock, makes me not even wanting to give this ball a chance. 

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 months later...

Been playing my batch of PXG'S lately. Great little ball they put together which spins nicely on greens and is just as durable and long as any top end ball on market. For me, it's slightly shorter than the Tour BXS, but not enough not to play it. I'm a ball, shoe & club ho, so these will make the rotation with no worries.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 10:18 AM, snagy2000 said:

Been playing my batch of PXG'S lately. Great little ball they put together which spins nicely on greens and is just as durable and long as any top end ball on market. For me, it's slightly shorter than the Tour BXS, but not enough not to play it. I'm a ball, shoe & club ho, so these will make the rotation with no worries.

The green side spin is what sold me. I am a very low spin player but these have helped me control pitches and chips a lot. Agree the newer batches have better durability. I just hope they come out with yellow. 😂 

• Like 1

I had a driver fitting at the PXG Dallas store on June 1. They obviously used their ball for the fitting. For the baseline testing with my driver, it was exactly what I would expect. It had a nice feel and with the head and shaft I was ultimately fit with, the spin rate off the driver was ideal. I will definitely get a dozen to test on the course eventually, as I want a ball that can add some spin for me around the green. The price for this caliber of ball is reasonable.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 10:27 PM, Morry said:

Tried it today

thought it was great off driver
but a rock with irons wedge and putter

not for me

Obviously everyone has their subjective impressions but I just wanted to say I disagree with this. The ball feels similar to other very firm balls, Z-Star XV, Left Dash etc.. It by no means IMO feels significantly different to them. Granted, if you don't like firm balls, you won't like this one either. 

• Like 2

$10 off Hero price. $30 is still a stretch for me, but I might have to support the effort.

Screenshot_20230720-103846.png

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

On 7/12/2023 at 2:34 AM, m_w said:

Tried it for 36 holes and a session on my GCQ, here are my observations - I usually play a Z-Star Diamond and have played a CSX the past two years.

Driver

• Longest ball of the three, my GCQuad quad says consistently 2mph faster for me
  • Spin is lower than ZSD and about the same as the CSX. GCQuad confirmed this, ZSD spinning about 200rpm more on average on similar strikes
  • Feeling is crisp but not disimilar to the CSX

Irons

• This is a high-spin ball, spins about the same or slighly higher than Srixon ZSD
  • Launch is pretty similar to CSX, slighly lower than ZSD
  • Short game this ball spins a ton, higher than both ZSD and CSX for me. GCQ showed 500 rpms more for me on similar strikes...thats pretty insane.

Putter

• Very firm feel, noticable clack. If you like "soft" this is going to be hard for you to bear
  • Rolls nice, alignment aid is good enough to be used without adjustments for most i think

For $40, this is a really good ball in my opinion if you need spin in your game. If you are a Pro V1, BX, CSLS or ZS-XV user/high spin/high ball hitter, this is going to be a terrible choice.

I'm going to test it a few more rounds to see if i can get used to the putter feel.

Did you notice any difference in cover durability between the 3 balls?

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip