2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

3 Woods Overrated

BlackHammer

Haven't carried a 3 wood in years, but recently tried the Rogue 3HL (more of a 4 wood?) and very happy with it.

Edited by Itsjustagame

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

It really depends on the courses you play. On tour its generally needed. But if you're playing 6600 yard courses the holes are either straight or the dog leg tends to happen early in the hole. For example you might play a 400yd dogleg with a hybrid then mid/long iron. 

G425lst Ventus Blk 6x

AI Smoke TD 15

TM Rescue 16

MP20 HMB 4/3 Modus 120x

MP20 MB 5-P Modus 120x

T22 51S 55D T24 59V s400

Oworks 7s

My 3 wood is there for a yardage in simple terms. It fits the 240 shot for me. Depending on situation, it will come out of the bag maybe 2-4 times a round. Sometimes not at all. We get 14 clubs so I have extra space 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I love my 3 wood. Mainly use it off the tee when driver is too long. Or if the driver is misbehaving, I can really count on my 3w to be a fairway finder. Every now and then it's fun to go for a long par 5 in 2. 

What's In The Bag

TaylorMade Qi10 LS | Tensei Black 65X

Callaway Rogue ST LS | Ventus Blue 7X

Callaway Apex UW | Ventus Blue 8X

Mizuno Pro 225 | DG TI X100

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M | DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

TaylorMade TP5x

You are correct. 

There are circumstances and players who benefit from having a 3w but most players would be better off with a 5w, 7w, extra hybrid, or extra wedge.

I'm a 2, play with many other low handicappers and not a single one of us is more accurate with 3w than driver and most of us play driving irons off shorter holes anyway. 

Do we use it occasionally into par 5s? Once a month? We hit 3w in the 260-275yd range and it takes a pretty big hole (over 560yds) to even need 3w. 

Do we use it occasionally off the tee? Fairly often but it doesn't really provide any advantage because of what was said earlier. 

Why do we carry it? Don't know but it does feel good to flush it.

Not sure the correct adjective, but overrated isn't it.  More like the "club amateurs shouldn't carry".  By definition it is THE hardest club in the bag to hit consistently given it has the longest shaft and lowest loft of any club to hit a ball off of the turf.  Over 30+ yrs of play and being a purist I even know the true definition.  Loft is your friend particularly the longer shaft the club gets and many are better served by a 4 or 5 wood.

Different strokes for different folks.  I'll never not carry a 3w or a 4w due to gapping, if my driver goes to crap during a round the fairway is my safety blanket.  I've been in multiple tournaments where I opt for a 3w of a tee versus a driver due to the driver bringing unneeded danger into the hole versus hitting a 4 iron off the tee and still having a 5/4 iron into the green.  I hit 3W and I'm now hitting a 9 iron in - big difference from a scoring standpoint for me anyway.   I'm not one to critique any one else's game or equipment choices.  I played with some kids in college that you'd look at their bag and you'd think they we're hacks, then go out and shoot 65 without even blinking. 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

As with all things, it depends. Honestly most players above a 5-10 handicap should not be carrying one, a 4 or 5 wood is much more forgiving and playable out of all lies. Obviously there will be exceptions. 

However, for players that have some power, a 3 wood is super useful for holes where the playable area is much wider at 3 wood distance than driver distance but you don't want to drop back to a 2 iron/5 wood etc. and lose a total of 50-60 yards off your driver. 

Also, if you play in significant wind frequently (talking 25 mph+), having a reliable "strong draw" club is awesome for left-to-right winds. A modern driver is too hard to hit a hard sweeping draw with (IMO). 

• Like 2

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

3 hours ago, jholz said:

I'm not going to tell anyone what they should play. It's all up to you.

But, for me, the 3w is, and always has been, one of the most reliable clubs in my bag.

Takes a long time to find one that I like, and some effort to develop a relationship with it, but that effort pays off for me.

Great off the tee for layup holes. Wonderful from the fairway and decent lies in the rough.

Although, if I really need a precision strike - I will defer to a hybrid. I get tighter shot patterns with them.

This all day for me. I am truly surprised that so many dislike it. I use my 3W for my second shot on most par 5's. It tends to be a straight-hitter for me (slight draw is my natural), but I can bend it when needed. My F9 is good for me out of light to moderate rough, but I don't do well with it in heavier stuff. I would abandon my driver before my 3, but I do still get more distance out of my driver, so it stays, too. I actually think aside from my GW, the 3W is my favorite club. 

• Like 1

Could be for some. Nothing better than a striped 3w though. I'll go rounds that i don't use mine on my home course, but on the days that it's working it's a great tool to have in the bag

Lefty

Mavrik - Rogue White 60TX

TS2 15* - Tensei White 75X

ZU85 3UDI - Tensei Blue 85TX

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

I think use of the 3 wood depends upon the player and the course.

My 3 wood sits in the garage in favor of a 5 wood in the bag. But, I can't bring myself to get rid of it. 

It was, or is, a very consistent club (Ping G30) but I don't need it anymore for most of the courses and tees I've been frequenting.  Most of the par 5s are either now too long, even with a 3 wood, to get home in two and for the few short ones, I can get home with the 5 wood.  

Edited by PJE

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

As long as you find one that works, it’s a great tool too have. People say the same about 2 irons, but people love those too. Use what works. I happen to have both a 3W and 2I. 🤷‍♂️ 

3W a great 250+ club that I love into wind or tight hole. Also I tend to miss right with it, so if trouble left, great option. Don’t hit it a lot on par 5s but it can be handy.

2I is a great 220+ club depending on fairways. Love it off the tee and the occasional punch hook from the trees. If woods don’t feel good I immediately switch to this for the round. Don’t use it a ton off the deck but can. 

I play P/52/58 and have no need for more wedges so I rather have options off the deck or tee in that awkward 220-250 range.

Also have a 5W which goes higher and farther carry than 2I (230 carry) but better for Par 3 unless strong winds. 

Edited by LoopySwing13
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, LoopySwing13 said:

3W a great 250+ club that I love into wind or tight hole. Also I tend to miss right with it, so if trouble left, great option. Don’t hit it a lot on par 5s but it can be handy.

This is where my 4w gets used. I mostly cut the driver, so a big miss is to the right. 3 dogleg lefts at my club where right and long right are dead, so I pull the 4w which is going mostly straight or a slight draw. But the holes are long enough where iron off the tee leaves a long club in.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, keith723 said:

Love my 3 wood.  Very reliable.  It's a hot face so I never feel like I have to nuke it, just let the club do the work.  Perfect on par 4's where driver brings trouble into play, e.g. keeping it short of a water hazard.  Most single-digits would not part with their 3 wood, especially if you're a longer hitter - it's a necessity to have something you can take a normal swing with and still get the ball out there a bit, but less than driver.  I'd rather do that than try to take too much off of my driver...once the tempo gets thrown off, that's when bad swings happen for me.  I don't practice shorter swings very often though either, except with the wedges.

I'll say the 3-wood can be one of the harder clubs in the bag to find, but once you find the right head/shaft combo, it's a great weapon.  So to each their own, but I love mine, and it definitely is not a club that costs me strokes very often.

Wouldn't part with mine, but a hard club to find and/or replace. Have never found a reason to kick an old R9 3 wood out of the bag. Great club, shaft that fits me great and reliable contact. Being so old it looks like hell, but you can't argue with good results. I know a number of guys that still play an old 3 wood that they don;t want to replace... even for the more forgiving hotter new options.

Hey! This is WRX!!! We all carry 3ws just in case we want to try to drive the green on that 325yd par 4!?!?!?!? 😎

BT

• Haha 4

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Love my 3 wood. When driver is on the fritz (and it usually is) it keeps me from throwing it in a lake or ditch. Plus it’s fun to have the firepower in the bag to go for it on par 5’s, or get myself back in play after a horrible tee shot to salvage bogey.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Took my new TSR2 3wood w/GD IZ shaft out to my home course yesterday for the first time. Hit it on the #1 green in 2 on dog leg par 5 then drained 20 footer for an eagle for first time ever on that hole!

It’s not going anywhere and gaps 15-20yds with my 5-wood. 

I don’t belong here, I’ll see myself out.

• Like 1

My two gripes with the 3W are:

1. My own skill (which I'm learning with); and

2. Callaway Edge Package set has a 3w. 

Why on earth do beginner packages have a 3 wood in the bag? In fairness, they may be used by people who aren't beginners but still baffling to me. 

2024:

Dr: Mizuno ST-Z 220 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60 S and MCC+4 Midsize

F: Taylormade Stealth 2 w/ Oban Devotion HB 65.05 and MCC+4 Midsize

U: Titleist U505 2i 18° w/ Hazardus Black 6.0 and MCC+4 Midsize 

I: Titleist T100s w/ Project X LZ 6.0 (+0.50") and MCC+4 Midsize (4-P)  

SW: Vokey SM9 54D 12° w/ Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.50") and MCC+4 Midsize    

P: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven (35")

B: Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide or whatever is cheap

13 minutes ago, TreqJosh said:

Why on earth do beginner packages have a 3 wood in the bag? In fairness, they may be used by people who aren't beginners but still baffling to me. 

The set probably sells better that way.

Beginners don’t know they “shouldn’t” have a 3 wood.

• Like 1

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

1 hour ago, Sean124 said:

I lay up to my favorite yardage on par 5s.

My favorite yardage is “close to the green.”

Giving away the best strategy here lol. 

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder Evolution IV 661 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM TP Soto CB

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

It’s 100% shaft fit for your delivery with fairways. I didn’t believe this and have had so many 3w that have been terrible…

Finally got fit, then actually went with a very similar profile in the same weight and flex… and my god.

Tee, deck. Irrelevant. The delivery into the ball is so consistent and it’s now one of the most reliable sticks in the bag. 

Shaft fit I had we discussed my strike pattern and not just numbers, then went messing with head and loft. It’s amazing. 

So yeah, a poorly fit 3w is a recipe for utter failure, ESPECIALLY off the deck. 

But until you have gone thru a detailed fitting… don’t give up if ur any type of reasonable ball striker with other clubs. 

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

On 2/1/2023 at 2:30 PM, BlackHammer said:

Warm take-3 woods are overrated and most players regardless of skill level shouldnt be carrying one.

If you feel comfortable off the tee with it then go for it, or if youre a short hitter that needs it to get to certain holes in regulation then i see it. Or a high handicapper that just hits it solid. Otherwise, youre usually better off with another club imo, am i missing something? 

regardless of skill level... IF a person has the clubhead speed, and comes into the ball at the correct attack angle, the 3W can work. So, you contradict your self with the regardless phrase. If a person has the skill, he or she can use it.

The idea that a 4W or a 5W works better for the average golfers has been around since the early 2000s. And testing backs it up.

The pride factor against playing a 4W which works instead of a 3W is why TM came up with the 3HL - 16.5* or 17* - so people wouldn't have to be seen with a 4W. Tour Edge slipped into that mode recently. Some of its models have three 3Ws: 13*, 15*  and 17*.

I am entering my 13th season with some combo of 4W + 7W (changed models a couple of times). Works for me.

• Thanks 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

28 minutes ago, BagofToast said:

Giving away the best strategy here lol. 

Putting Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Like 3

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

I think like others have said it depends on the usage. If your second longest club in the bag is a tee only club, @Dan Drake is a massive proponent of a second or mini driver.

Lots of non traditional options out there now to building your bag to better your scores.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert