2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Circa 62 real or fake?

Kal L

I'm thinking of getting a circa 62 off of ebay, in fact I even have a low bid on it right now. I just don't know if it's real or fake. All of the writing on the bottom is red and according to the seller the shaft is graphite. Repainted and reshafted maybe? I've hunted through several threads and some other posting and I can't make heads or tails whether this is real or a fake. Any insight is very much welcome...

Screenshot_20230204_183201_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230204_183244_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230204_183209_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230204_183214_eBay.jpg

Just now, kwcsports said:

Looks great to me. I've owned a few of these.

I would love to try one, I've heard good things about them. I'm hoping it has a better feel than my newport 2 and it would work until I can track down a Tad Moore pro 1.  I was concerned because in all my searching for comparison pics I've never seen one with all red writing much less a graphite shaft, which if I get it it's going to be changed out for a steel one.

1 minute ago, Kal L said:

I would love to try one, I've heard good things about them. I'm hoping it has a better feel than my newport 2 and it would work until I can track down a Tad Moore pro 1.  I was concerned because in all my searching for comparison pics I've never seen one with all red writing much less a graphite shaft, which if I get it it's going to be changed out for a steel one.

Someone changed the shaft to graphite and paintfill is easy to change. If you win it, I'd go back to steel shaft. 

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

3 minutes ago, kwcsports said:

Someone changed the shaft to graphite and paintfill is easy to change. If you win it, I'd go back to steel shaft. 

Besides the steel shaft I'd like to blue it. I've gotten a lot of good ideas off this forum, this being one of them.😁  My betti I'm going to try plum brown.....once I can find the right tutorial thread.😆 Thanks kwc, I really appreciate all the help.

• Like 1

No one’s knocking off that model in a lefty… Cameron prob sold 4 of them 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

8 hours ago, zip7111 said:

Probably not a graphite shaft.  I would bet it is a flat black steel shaft.

That thought occurred to me when I first saw it. The only way I can tell is to buy the dang thing. If it's a black steel shaft I would probably would change it out anyway. 

And that's a valid point, I didn't think about the probability of a fake being left handed. Wouldn't make much sense huh. And for the record righty sucks.😁

39 minutes ago, BYK said:

I can't tell much at all from those pix, but I agree, not sure we've seen many if any lefty fakes

Grab it!

I going to try to. It's got about 4 days left on the auction. There is another one for sale if this one falls through but we'll see. I'm hoping it will improve my game.🙄 My round was so bad today I'm willing to try almost anything.😁

25 minutes ago, Kal L said:

I going to try to. It's got about 4 days left on the auction. There is another one for sale if this one falls through but we'll see. I'm hoping it will improve my game.🙄 My round was so bad today I'm willing to try almost anything.😁

Lol it won’t 

but you’re gonna look good doing it

• Like 1

Yadi for President

@Kal L

This is legit. As mentioned no fake lefties. Additionally the tell on fake Circas is that on the real ones the "R" in the cavity, the descender that comes down on the right is attached more towards the right side of the letter and has a slight bend on the way down in a primarily straight down angle. On the fakes that descender begins closer to the left side of the letter and is more straight but on a diagonal path. Basically a difference in fonts, hard to explain but once you see it it's quite clear.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, VNutz said:

@Kal L

This is legit. As mentioned no fake lefties. Additionally the tell on fake Circas is that on the real ones the "R" in the cavity, the descender that comes down on the right is attached more towards the right side of the letter and has a slight bend on the way down in a primarily straight down angle. On the fakes that descender begins closer to the left side of the letter and is more straight but on a diagonal path. Basically a difference in fonts, hard to explain but once you see it it's quite clear.

Thanks! You by chance don't have a picture of the differences do you?

6 minutes ago, Kal L said:

I'm going to guess the top one is the fake? All the letters on it are straight or at least straighter. All the pics of the circa 62's that I've seen the letters are kinda cockeyed.

Sorry, I had titled the top picture as Fake and the bottom as legit, but I guess that didn't come through. Yes the top is the fake.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, VNutz said:

Sorry, I had titled the top picture as Fake and the bottom as legit, but I guess that didn't come through. Yes the top is the fake.

No problem, and thanks, I appreciated it. I would have answered you sooner but I seem to be limited to how many posts I can make in a day.

21 hours ago, Kal L said:

I was checking out another circa 62 since the original one I was looking at was getting up there in price and it's supposed to be platinum coated. Did they make a platinum version? It also had this emblem on the toe. I've never seen it before and I can't find any pics of it on the web.

Screenshot_20230208_184525_eBay.jpg

Likely refinished

when they used to refinish putters, they put the CS stamp on it

this one was likely redone in pro plat

• Thanks 1

Yadi for President

@Kal L To add to what BYK said, back in the day the SC Custom Shop only restored putters back to their original finish. Then they added the option to restore to Pro Platinum if you had a putter made of carbon steel. However, back in the early days Pro Platinum was a prototype or tour only finish for some sticks, so some people took to sending in carbon putters for refinishing in pro platinum and passing them off as Tour putters. So they made it mandatory for Pro Plat refinished putters to get the Custom Shop CS crown stamp on them, as you see in that pic.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, VNutz said:

@Kal L To add to what BYK said, back in the day the SC Custom Shop only restored putters back to their original finish. Then they added the option to restore to Pro Platinum if you had a putter made of carbon steel. However, back in the early days Pro Platinum was a prototype or tour only finish for some sticks, so some people took to sending in carbon putters for refinishing in pro platinum and passing them off as Tour putters. So they made it mandatory for Pro Plat refinished putters to get the Custom Shop CS crown stamp on them, as you see in that pic.

Interesting, I'm not surprised people would want to try and do that though. If there is a way to make a few extra bucks people will try and do it. I've been watching the auction and it's already gone above what a could afford. Maybe it's for the best. I'm not a huge fan of the platinum coating and I would want to change it, and on this one that seems to be rare because it's been in the custom shop it doesn't seem right. It would be like buying a 1984.5 gt350 mustang and completely changing the interior and exterior colors.

On 2/8/2023 at 7:52 PM, Kal L said:

I was checking out another circa 62 since the original one I was looking at was getting up there in price and it's supposed to be platinum coated. Did they make a platinum version? It also had this emblem on the toe. I've never seen it before and I can't find any pics of it on the web.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/610045b6f775786869a4f03bbc6ea866d3e558421809bdcec86344355da3a40c/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/610045b6f775786869a4f03bbc6ea866d3e558421809bdcec86344355da3a40c/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/Screenshot_20230208_184525_eBay.jpg.2825509995eaa3e53b93d5094815ca22.jpg

That’s a nice custom shop addition, I’d jump all over that one. 

7 minutes ago, CHM 12 said:

That’s a nice custom shop addition, I’d jump all over that one. 

I was thinking about it, but as I watched the auction it took a big price spike. If I remember right it ended at $405 plus shipping which is way out of my budget right now. I did pick up a different one and I should be getting it sometime this upcoming week. I'm currently debating on leaving it stock or doing a gun blue finish on it.

57 minutes ago, Kal L said:

I was thinking about it, but as I watched the auction it took a big price spike. If I remember right it ended at $405 plus shipping which is way out of my budget right now. I did pick up a different one and I should be getting it sometime this upcoming week. I'm currently debating on leaving it stock or doing a gun blue finish on it.

Yeah get a cheaper one and if you like it send it to the CS yourself with your own customization. That’s like a $30 stamp that they do, just IMO proves it was real. 

53 minutes ago, CHM 12 said:

Yeah get a cheaper one and if you like it send it to the CS yourself with your own customization. That’s like a $30 stamp that they do, just IMO proves it was real. 

It's hard to find a cheap one nowadays. Heck, it's hard to find any scotty at a good price. There is a couple in there now that are beat to hell complete with chunks out of it going for over $100 with about a day to go. Completely nuts IMO.

3 hours ago, Kal L said:

If you bought one with a plated finish you will not be able to gun blue it unless you have the finish chemically stripped.  Both photos you posted are versions with a plated finish.