Ping i230 vs s55

athomp70

If you don't like the i210 sole, skip the i230, because it's very similar.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

13 hours ago, cg0rd0noo7 said:

they are marginally smaller but having had the i59s and the i210s and the i230s the difference between the i210s and i230s is nil. The i59s definitely have smaller soles. 

Yeah and I think it's really on the 3-4-5 iron end of the bag that the i230's are a little smaller (shorter blade length). Pretty hard to see any difference on the 8-9-W end of the bag. 

Pretty hard to beat the S55's, especially mint ones. I have a set of the i210's I recently ordered just before the 230's came out. I had 210's  previously but sold them for some reason I'm not sure of. I also have the S55's, would love to have a mint set though. Was thinking of ordering 8-pw replacements from Ping before they run out. 

I had hit a i59 demo head at a box store, I didn't get along with it, it felt harsh to me. They had a 2018 Apex MB 7 iron in the demo bag, I hit that extremely well for me, couldn't hit a shot with the 59. Had no problem with Honma TR20V 7 iron , not sure why the 59 was a problem for me. 

Hopefully Ping comes out with a 2023-24 version of the S55, thinking that would be quite popular. 

Edited by Stonewalled

I loved the S55, one of Pings best but I think the i230 is a definite upgrade in forgiveness and feel.  One round in and I am very happy with them.  Soles are definitely more narrow than the 210 when put side by side to my eye, which I love.  I59 are great irons, I just couldn't deal with the drop off in distance on a mis hit.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 1 month later...

Coming from mp20 mb

hit the i230 today. Nice feeling club but to big to my eye. Soles make me nervous if it gets firm.

Played s55 for a couple years and loved them. 

if you like s55 then i230 will be a tough one to get use to 

• Like 2

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2023 at 9:37 AM, Nixhex524 said:

I loved the S55, one of Pings best but I think the i230 is a definite upgrade in forgiveness and feel.  One round in and I am very happy with them.  Soles are definitely more narrow than the 210 when put side by side to my eye, which I love.  I59 are great irons, I just couldn't deal with the drop off in distance on an mis hit.

Can I ask if you still feel the 230s are superior to the s55s? 

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

i played the s55 for two seasons in the past and have started out this season with the i230s.  in terms of forgiveness, there's no question that i230 > s55, especially on toe shots.  while the sole on the i230 is bigger, i havent experienced any issues getting through the turf.  in terms of feel and looks, s55 gets the slight edge, but i would easily sacrifice some in those two areas to gain a lot more in forgiveness.  hope that helps!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Can I ask if you still feel the 230s are superior to the s55s? 

I do... not to say the S55 aren't good, they are.  I also have a set of iBlades that I love, but the 230 to me are really good in so many ways.  I think they do everything well and offer plenty of help for anyone who is scratch to a 15-20 cap.  But it IS a different kind of iron of course.

• Like 2

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 8 months later...

I have the S55's (KBS C-taper 130x).  Last month I went to the PGA SS and messed around with a set of i-230's (S300 AMT) for about an hour.  This morning went to the Golf Galaxy and did the same thing.  I can't get myself to like the i-230's due to the contact feel. The 55's aren't super buttery soft but they feel perfect to me.  The 230's had an "artificial" feel; can't explain other than to say it felt "too" multi-material, click etc.  I saw no difference in numbers/performance.  I went out and played 9 in the afternoon and hit the S55's as good as always.

I have both the i230 and s55's. I love them both. To the point I've sold both on eBay and cancelled the order 2 times lol I think they are very different irons. S55 are pretty small and thin soles. I think they also feel a bit better than the i230. I love the i230 but sometimes during those hot summer days when it's hardpan, I have for sure had issues with soles bouncing off the ground. I could game either of them but I probably would give the slight edge to the s55. But if you want the forgiveness and don't mind a bigger sole, i230 easily. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 8:08 PM, willie991 said:

Question for those of you who are playing or have played the i230's.  I enjoyed the i25's.  What difference would I notice with the i230's??

I have both sets (5-W,U).  I never thought I could part ways with the i25, it's a great profile head and much more forgiving than you would expect for an iron of that size.

However, i230 has faster ball speed, higher peak height and very consistent carry distances, even from light rough or wet conditions. They're roughly 1/2 to 3/4 club longer than i25s (5i-9i are quarter inch longer in shaft length, just saying).

i230 is slightly more right-biased and spins about 200-300 rpms less than the i25s on average for me.

I never played the i210s and I know the longer irons in the i230s are supposed to be a shorter blade length, but this difference does not apply for i25s, at least for the 5i, which is the same blade length as i230.  The i230 7i does seem slightly bigger than the i25 7i.

I still have my i25s in a safe place but they've never come out since i230s arrived in September and I've never looked back.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 9:54 AM, Stonewalled said:

Pretty hard to beat the S55's, especially mint ones.

Hopefully Ping comes out with a 2023-24 version of the S55, thinking that would be quite popular. 

"Ask and ye shall receive . . ."

The Blueprint S is gaining A LOT of (well deserved) traction in satisfying S55'ers. Check 'em out when you get the chance.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

14 hours ago, namcneilly said:

I have both sets (5-W,U).  I never thought I could part ways with the i25, it's a great profile head and much more forgiving than you would expect for an iron of that size.

However, i230 has faster ball speed, higher peak height and very consistent carry distances, even from light rough or wet conditions. They're roughly 1/2 to 3/4 club longer than i25s (5i-9i are quarter inch longer in shaft length, just saying).

i230 is slightly more right-biased and spins about 200-300 rpms less than the i25s on average for me.

I never played the i210s and I know the longer irons in the i230s are supposed to be a shorter blade length, but this difference does not apply for i25s, at least for the 5i, which is the same blade length as i230.  The i230 7i does seem slightly bigger than the i25 7i.

I still have my i25s in a safe place but they've never come out since i230s arrived in September and I've never looked back.

Thanks!  Exactly what  needed.  The i25's lost one of the CTP weights.  Ping sent me a return shipping label and were going to repair under warranty.  Before I could get it sent off, local shop made me a heck of a deal on a pristine set of i230's.  He's a Ping retailer and said he'd handle the CTP weight replacement with Ping.  I enjoyed the i25's and didn't want to have made a mistake moving to the i230's.  You made me feel lots better!!!  The i230's are 5-UW.  

On 1/9/2024 at 2:35 PM, willie991 said:

Thanks!  Exactly what  needed.  The i25's lost one of the CTP weights.  Ping sent me a return shipping label and were going to repair under warranty.  Before I could get it sent off, local shop made me a heck of a deal on a pristine set of i230's.  He's a Ping retailer and said he'd handle the CTP weight replacement with Ping.  I enjoyed the i25's and didn't want to have made a mistake moving to the i230's.  You made me feel lots better!!!  The i230's are 5-UW.  

I have lost the CTP on 3 different i25 irons but Ping has repaired them without charge.  Once repaired they appear rock solid.  It did take them a couple weeks to turn around the repairs though.  The ferrule also started receding and they have addressed the problematic ones but those reoccur.

i230 appears to be a different construction but I can't yet say how it stands up over time.  The steel used for i230 is different than the i25 so I'm curious to see how they hold up.

• Like 1