2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Out of the game for 12 years, need to know what clubs need to change.

jasba

For several reasons, been out of the game for 10-12 years, and I'm starting to get the itch again. Current Driver is a Taylor Made R425 9.5* so I know from some research that technology in drivers has changed a lot in 12 years. Already started shopping and so far the Ping drivers of last couple years really look good to my eye, so may find a decent used one to experiment with. Have a Taylor Made 3 wood and I would assume with newer technology there is probably some gains there in distance as well correct?  That being said, has there been as much advancement in irons or shafts during the same time period? I have Ping i3 blades that I really loved. Need to get everything re-gripped but I would like to continue using them unless there are big gains to be made in either new irons or advancements in shafts.   Currently they have Z65 shafts in them. 

• Like 1

Yeah you'll probably get some distance, but I'd say the biggest advancement in the past 10ish years is the forgiveness across the face of all golf clubs.

Plus with fittings so readily available in most areas, you'd probably see a noticeable uptick in distance and accuracy.

Welcome back!

• Like 2
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I'm assuming that you have been playing with these clubs of late; what sticks out to you as where the gaps are? what club is unforgiving? What courses and yardages do you typically play? Does a utility iron flight suit more than a fairway flight? etc. 

I think I'd play your bag till I know what is missing or what will help you play better but I dare say you're already doing that.

Technology in clubs have come a long way but with Driver, the center of the face is limited in performance and has been for some time. That being said, if you're looking for forgiveness - then there's definitely gains to be had in the last 12 years. Shaft tech and options probably have progressed an awful long way too (Ventus line, but Graphite Design has been making amazing shafts and keeping them in production for a long time - AD DI)

I think Fairways & Hybrids have come a long way; they're getting hotter and hotter (just see the 3 wood is overrated thread and general feedback about 5 wood performances).

One thing I would do (and I should take my own advice in this) is get a putter fitting. At least you'll learn what your current tendencies are and know what to look for. As redundant as it is to say; it's the only club you use each hole. 

Edited by TreqJosh
  • Like 1

2024:

Dr: Mizuno ST-Z 220 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60 S and MCC+4 Midsize

F: Taylormade Stealth 2 w/ Oban Devotion HB 65.05 and MCC+4 Midsize

U: Titleist U505 2i 18° w/ Hazardus Black 6.0 and MCC+4 Midsize 

I: Titleist T100s w/ Project X LZ 6.0 (+0.50") and MCC+4 Midsize (4-P)  

SW: Vokey SM9 54D 12° w/ Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.50") and MCC+4 Midsize    

P: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven (35")

B: Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide or whatever is cheap

Latest Plugged In Golf episode is a good listen 

• Like 2

2024:

Dr: Mizuno ST-Z 220 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60 S and MCC+4 Midsize

F: Taylormade Stealth 2 w/ Oban Devotion HB 65.05 and MCC+4 Midsize

U: Titleist U505 2i 18° w/ Hazardus Black 6.0 and MCC+4 Midsize 

I: Titleist T100s w/ Project X LZ 6.0 (+0.50") and MCC+4 Midsize (4-P)  

SW: Vokey SM9 54D 12° w/ Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.50") and MCC+4 Midsize    

P: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven (35")

B: Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide or whatever is cheap

Assuming this thread builds, I'd note that this is a forum with many people who willingly change virtually all of their clubs annually even though they have been IN the game for the last 10-12 years! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9deg  Ventus TR Blue 6 S

Callaway  Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 7 S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 18 & 24 deg Ventus HB 8 S

Miura KM700 4-P Fujikura Axiom 105S

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52 deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

32.5" LAB Golf DF3 w/BGT Stability One Black | Pistol 2.0 Grip

Custom Vessel Lux Cart Bag

Welcome back! Heads up, the courses are ridiculously crowded (a LOT of people came back to the game) and everything is way more expensive.

Agree that drivers have improved the most.  Everybody makes great stuff, get fit with an open mind and get what you like. Don't feel like you have to get the latest though. Driver changes are incremental.  You can save a lot by getting the cycle that's closing out (Titleist TSi, PING G425, Callaway Rogue) over the new stuff. It'll still likely be much more advanced than what you have.

Fairway wood technology has changed the least. If you have fairways that you love, you'll probably OK. Drivers have gotten so good and 5-woods have gotten so hot, that most people have dropped the old traditional 3-wood.

Irons are tricky. Technology has changed a lot....but there are a lot of classic sets that are just as good as what's out now. 

Edited by mantan
  • Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

3 hours ago, jasba said:

For several reasons, been out of the game for 10-12 years, and I'm starting to get the itch again. Current Driver is a Taylor Made R425 9.5* so I know from some research that technology in drivers has changed a lot in 12 years. Already started shopping and so far the Ping drivers of last couple years really look good to my eye, so may find a decent used one to experiment with. Have a Taylor Made 3 wood and I would assume with newer technology there is probably some gains there in distance as well correct?  That being said, has there been as much advancement in irons or shafts during the same time period? I have Ping i3 blades that I really loved. Need to get everything re-gripped but I would like to continue using them unless there are big gains to be made in either new irons or advancements in shafts.   Currently they have Z65 shafts in them. 

Left the i3 "blades" behind to get into AP2s and a couple versions of those and they were a big improvement for me.  Left those for used Legacy Blacks I used for several seasons and loved them.  Brief fling with Ping i525s last spring, but got fitted into shafts that weren't right for me and I didn't take to them anyway.  Now using Apex irons and I think they give me what I liked about the AP2 range until it went awry and more.  Great irons but shafts were a big key to me, as I discovered last summer with a proper fitting.

Lots of new irons choices out there these days, including Ping - I think you'll be impressed.  I'd sure try some new models out and see what heads/shafts work for you after a dozen years.  

• Like 1

Like others have said get a driver.  Maybe woods and hybrid.  The irons are likely fine so long as back injuries or elbow type injuries aren’t part of what had you on the sidelines for 12 years.  If you have problems like those look into graphite shafts.  There are a lot of really good options that are weighted more similarly to steel.  Personally I would play the irons until you get an idea what you are wanting in an iron and the come back and post.  You will get a bunch of answers and some of them may even be good.  

• Like 2

Would repeat what most people are saying in that driver almost certainly. To me fairways and irons really depend. If you're hitting them well and are getting the distances you want, getting more isn't necessarily as important. 

However, it might be worth considering playing for a month or two (or shorter if you'll be playing pretty frequently) in order to get a better idea of what you need. What you hit best before and after shaking off some of the rust might be slightly different, so wouldn't want to drop a decent amount of cash trying to figure that out. I know it's tempting to get the good stuff right away (heck I'd wanna do it myself), but waiting a short bit might make sure you get the right stuff to keep moving forward. No wrong choice going either route though of course!

I would recommend spending 3-6 months getting back into it and then attend a fitting day. The big difference these days is clubs get fitted to your swing and it makes a huge difference. 

• Like 1

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR
TSR2 15° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 6.0
TSI2 18° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 6.0 

T200 Utility 4 Project X HZRDUS Black 4G  

T150 5 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105

Vokey SM9 48 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Scott Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Tour Midsize Bag

Pro V1

17 hours ago, jasba said:

Pay for a full bag fitting.  Break it up over several days since you are not in golf shape to not get fatigued.  This doesn't have to be anything fancy like going to Club Champion.  Going to your local PGASS or Golf Galaxy will have a fitter that should be capable enough to improve on these.  Ask around with friends, on here, or on local golf forums to see who has been fit where and if they had a good experience.  

I'm just going to throw this out here, the last person I fit coming from I3 blades gained 50 yards, they had a driver from the same era and got 45 yards extra carry on that.  Of course, this is an extreme like 4 standard deviation from the mean fit, but it can happen.  Don't assume that just because it is Ping or TM that 1) it ever fit you, or 2) that the swing you had when you bought them and worked for you back then is still the same swing you have today.  Yes, lofts have gotten stronger and attributed to those gains a little bit, but as others have pointed out the ability the manufacturers have now to make close to the entire face as a sweetspot is what has really changed in the past decade.

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

All of them.

7 times over a year.

And you MUST pick a single club, that you sell off, try others, and buy multiples of the original back. Then you must publicly lament selling the original and state that you just can't recapture the magic in ol' <insert club nickname here> 

It's a wild ride, enjoy.

Edited by Roejye
  • Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

On 2/5/2023 at 4:03 PM, jasba said:

I know the feeling!  I bought a new set of Cobra 3100 i/h irons with DG300S shafts in 2002 when I was 35 and was still playing with a Callaway Big Bertha.  In 2003 my daughter decided she wanted to play travel softball.  From 2003 through 2016 all 4 of my kids went into travel ball, college recruitment and playing college so my time and money went to traveling up and down the entire East Coast from New Hampshire to Florida.  Went from playing 1-2 times per week to 4 times per year.  HCP was somewhere in the 12-14 range.  Fast forward to 2015 when I actually got 15 rounds in found my clubs to be too heavy and too stiff.  My hcp ballooned to a 25 so I concur with @Fuscinator.  From experience I could definitely get a new driver.  One that is a model from 2020 to 2022.  Get a fitting with your irons to see if the shafts even fit you any more.  If you need to get reshafted it may be more economical to buy a set of irons already close to your specs.  You don't have to spend a ton of money for a quality set of DTC or something used for 2019-2021 models.  There are plenty of threads on that on this forum.  Swing Swing Swing.  Work on your swing.  This will make your game more enjoyable in the beginning until you get your swing into shape.

How old are you, and what's your fitness level?  Big difference between stopping at age 25 and picking it back up at 37 versus stopping at 45 and picking it up at 57.

As some others mentioned, I would practice/play for a few months to get back to where you feel like you're swinging reasonably consistently, then go through a fitting.

And don't try to do a whole-bag fitting in one session, you'll get worn out, and you won't be swinging well at the end.  Focus on the driver and FW's first, then take a look at irons on a different day.

Current trends are to go with lighter shafts across the board to increase club speed, and all current clubs will give you faster, straighter ball flights on off-center hits.

On 2/5/2023 at 3:03 PM, jasba said:

For several reasons, been out of the game for 10-12 years, and I'm starting to get the itch again. Current Driver is a Taylor Made R425 9.5* so I know from some research that technology in drivers has changed a lot in 12 years. ...

Something others haven't mentioned: what is your current age?

If your current clubs feel a little heavy, consider going to lighter shafts. And, it's not just near-seniors who consider this. Our 30-something club pro - a bonafide gym rat - went to shafts 15 grams lighter in his irons.

Next, consider long clubs, such as a new driver. If your legacy R425 still works, you can go with it for awhile. But, a new driver could allow you to pick up maybe 20+ yards off the tee, and with better MOI help you find the fairway better.

If the 3W works, keep it awhile. But, most players do better with a 4W (or 5W). The extra loft helps with launch and the shorter shaft helps with control. (Note: if you get a 3HL - TM version of 4W - be aware it often has a 3W length shaft. You might want it trimmed for control).

IF the i3 irons more or less work, regrip and play them through the first season. This will give you idea of what you need for future.

-----------------

Step by Step...

• Consider getting a tune-up lesson. An instructor can point out any residual swing flaws you have, and help you short them up in the early going.
  • After lesson and a few nine-hole trials, get a full-bag fitting. This will show you what you need in terms of head and shaft combinations. Take notes... And, be aware you do not have to buy everything all at once. You can spread out gear change over a season or two.

And, welcome back to golfdom!

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 2/5/2023 at 3:03 PM, jasba said:

That setup is FIRE!

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

I'd go get fitted for a new driver.  However, I would not expect to gain 50 yards unless what you have is extremely poorly fitted.  You'll gain some distance and a ton of forgiveness. 

If you like your irons I'd leave them alone for now.  I have old Ping Zing 2s that I'll swing from time to time and they go basically the same distance as my 2 year old Mizuno's.   

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Check out Callaway's preowned store.  There are a ton of great clubs and deals to be had there. 

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Not sure if it’s been said, but I’d suggest you play a bit with your old stuff before jumping into something else. I was out for about 8-9 years….kids, time, yadda, yadda…and when I got back in decided I needed other stuff. “Assumed” I needed regular flex shafts and picked up a set of Ping i3’s, messed with FW’s etc. Didn’t take long to realize I hadn’t lost as much as I first thought…and right back to stiff i3 blades and woods I went. Yeah, they are old. They are still some of my favorite clubs though. And now I have spare stuff. 

Few kinks needed working out and it wasn’t the clubs. Now take all that with a grain of salt because I’m a cheap a** and only suckers pay retail. 

The center of the club face is still the center. 

Since this is GolfWRX you need to buy an entirely new bag full of stuff and while you're waiting for that to arrive from the manufacturers, go ahead and buy other things from a local golf shop because you don't feel like waiting on the stuff you ordered.  At least a quarter of the clubs you bought should then be sold on the classifieds here with plastic still on them.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

1 hour ago, grochol17 said:

Since this is GolfWRX you need to buy an entirely new bag full of stuff and while you're waiting for that to arrive from the manufacturers, go ahead and buy other things from a local golf shop because you don't feel like waiting on the stuff you ordered.  At least a quarter of the clubs you bought should then be sold on the classifieds here with plastic still on them.

Don’t forget all the crazy attention getting emojis and what not.