How Long Does Justin Rose Stick with His Current Setup

CKaneb

Just thought I'd pose the question because JR continuing to tinker with equipment even though this setup is what got him his first win in 4 years is something that would be really funny but also extremely plausible

Pros of Current Set

- 1st win since 2019

Cons of Current Setup

- not all blades in the irons

- wedges from two different brands

- some ferrule creep on M6 fairway woods

- no C-Tapers in irons for what seems like the first time in his career

Edited by CKaneb
  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 10° (@ 9.25°, B3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5TX (45")

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (D4 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 70 6.5TX (43, tipped 0.5")

3 Iron: TaylorMade P790 18° w/ Graphite Design Tour AD HY 95-X (40")

Irons: TaylorMade P770 (4), TaylorMade P7MC (5 - PW) w/ Fujikura AXIOM 105 X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (50°-12F, 54°-14F, 58°-08M) w/ KBS $-Taper Black PVD 120 S (tipped 3/8")

Putter: Odyssey Ai-ONE Jailbird Cruiser (41")

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize (1 + 1), Odyssey Ai-ONE Cruiser 17"

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

JR, and others like Reed, have traveled the same road as Ricky Fowler; thinking to reach an elite player, making an iron change will take their game to the next level, only it's more than likely down hill from there.  An Iron change can take a greater toll on success, then changing driver/shaft or wedges n putter.

How long does JR stick?  Depends on who's got his ear; my guess, not long.  He appears scattered, much like Ricky, listening to the wrong people or desires.  The pivotal decision seems tied to a player thinking if an OEM is willing to make truly custom clubs for him, thinking that's elite, he's now distracted from the real greater goal. 

When those players trust themselves (the stakeholder) over advisors, that's when they stick with what works instead of venturing off in hopes of greatness.  I suspect they listen too much to people around them, people that don't have anything at stake.  When those people lose a job, they go get another.  JR or RF fail, they lose their card, maybe fall really low, and have to reassess the future.

I don't listen to people that do not have a stake in the game.  If I make bad decisions, company goes BK, I have to reassess, while advisors with bad ideas go get new jobs.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

JR was still one of the top players when Honma approached him with probably a very lucrative deal to play their golf clubs. Since then it has been a slight down hill trend in terms of wins and being competitive. Great move on his part to move on from Honma. Wishing he went Callaway or Titleist but we will see soon enough. Winner of the week is probably Cobra golf. Dumping Bryson and having their irons comes through.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I'm sure Justin is both smart and experienced. He has access to Tour Trucks, Trackman, the finest courses and practise facilities. He tests equipment both on the range and on the course. He'll be looking at what he needs to see, the numbers and the playability and he'll set his bag up accordingly. Could change for next week, lol.

Whatever works.

I doubt he sticks very long.    He’s had a new driver in the bag every single time I’ve looked in the last 2 years.  Including a first  Gen M1.  Same with irons.  That m6 5 wood is the only thing safe. 

but it doesn’t matter.  He’s a tinkerer.  So what ?  He does the same thing with his swing.  Always some form or fashion of rehearsal going on.  Always playing golf swing.  It’s just how he thinks of improvement.  

• Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

He is a free agent, so if something falls out of favour or something better comes along it will be switched out. 

His set is very specific thought, I can't see many changes unless they are forced.  

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Cobra should sign him.  I heard they have an open roster spot.  Unless they shifted all those dollars to Duff and Beef.  

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

Yes Cobra should sign him as maybe he can show Rickie and Dufner how to win again. Congratulations JR and what an Awesome start for Callaway Paradym drivers, 4 out of 5 tournament wins. Someone needs to sign him

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 2/6/2023 at 12:47 PM, CKaneb said:

Just thought I'd pose the question because JR continuing to tinker with equipment even though this setup is what got him his first win in 4 years is something that would be really funny but also extremely plausible

Pros of Current Set

- 1st win since 2019

Cons of Current Setup

- not all blades in the irons

- wedges from two different brands

- some ferrule creep on M6 fairway woods

- no C-Tapers in irons for what seems like the first time in his career

The answer to that might hinge on whether Cobra makes a staff offer to him based on this recent result.  He'd be a pretty solid add for them if they can get him on a bag+club deal.  And some of that might depend on how many clubs they'd try to get him to play.  

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

7 hours ago, the bishop said:

The answer to that might hinge on whether Cobra makes a staff offer to him based on this recent result.  He'd be a pretty solid add for them if they can get him on a bag+club deal.  And some of that might depend on how many clubs they'd try to get him to play.  

If I'm Rose or a guy like Adam Scott, I'm not signing with anybody. They're at the twilight of their careers, they should be focused on playing what works best and trying to capture major #2. Scott's never had health issues and based on strokes gained data, has finally found a workable way to putt effectively. If he gets his driver in line, he's still good enough to compete. Rosie's a little different as he's had back problems. I wouldn't waste a healthy spell playing equipment I don't love. 

If it was about money, both would have jumped ship to LIV with the first batch of defectors. The fact that they haven't tells me that their primary goal is backing up their one major championships. Rose may also be weary of risking a Ryder Cup captaincy but that's besides the point. These two have been pros for 20+ years, money is no longer a concern so play what works. The list of 2x major champions is far more distinguished than the solo crowd. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

Wish my twilight would shape up like Justin’s. 

Not saying we should bury the guy. He just freaking won. Just pointing out that he's much closer to the end of his competitive window than the beginning. The man wasn't on the Masters invite list until Monday afternoon. He only has so many realistic opportunities remaining. I'm cheering for him. I've always liked Rose.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Not saying we should bury the guy. He just freaking won. Just pointing out that he's much closer to the end of his competitive window than the beginning. The man wasn't on the Masters invite list until Monday afternoon. He only has so many realistic opportunities remaining. I'm cheering for him. I've always liked Rose.  

Fully get it and agree. Just letting my cynical, sarcastic side come through. I also like Justin.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

That may be, but the same can be said for any player, every single day.  If you look at Rose's PGAT results from last season and this season so far - 25 events.  He's had 6 MC's and 1 WD.  So 18 events where he's played the weekend.  Out of those fully half are either top 10 (5) or top 25 (4).  Not saying he's had a full career resurgance but these are not bad results at all.

So I could see someone like Cobra making him an offer even after last week.  The Honma deal was always weird.  He did win right out of the gate w/them but it sure seemed to set him back in the end and has taken him a while to find some form.  I mean I think I'd rather have that than Woodland.  I have nothing against Woodland, nice player and nicer guy 

But for Woodland between last season and this he's had 30 starts.  14 MC's and 1 WD.  Fully half of his starts.  6 top 10's, 2 top 25's.  No wins.  Everybody said he was a great signing for Cobra and I don't disagree but Rose's numbers are better IMO even though Woodland is younger.  And Woodland doesn't even rock their bag as he's still locked into that CDW deal.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

18 minutes ago, the bishop said:

That may be, but the same can be said for any player, every single day.  If you look at Rose's PGAT results from last season and this season so far - 25 events.  He's had 6 MC's and 1 WD.  So 18 events where he's played the weekend.  Out of those fully half are either top 10 (5) or top 25 (4).  Not saying he's had a full career resurgance but these are not bad results at all.

So I could see someone like Cobra making him an offer even after last week.  The Honma deal was always weird.  He did win right out of the gate w/them but it sure seemed to set him back in the end and has taken him a while to find some form.  I mean I think I'd rather have that than Woodland.  I have nothing against Woodland, nice player and nicer guy 

But for Woodland between last season and this he's had 30 starts.  14 MC's and 1 WD.  Fully half of his starts.  6 top 10's, 2 top 25's.  No wins.  Everybody said he was a great signing for Cobra and I don't disagree but Rose's numbers are better IMO even though Woodland is younger.  And Woodland doesn't even rock their bag as he's still locked into that CDW deal.

Agree completely. I totally understand why a brand would want Justin Rose. He's still a good player, has name recognition, has shown some form, has always been class, and maybe excluding Honma, has been a great brand ambassador for a number of companies. If I'm Cobra I would 100% want him over Woodland. If I'm Mizuno, I'd want him over Luke Donald. With the exception of Hovland and Finau, I think he'd be a huge upgrade for Ping. 

Really, outside of Titleist, TM, and Callaway, who are all pretty stacked,  I think Rose or Adam Scott would be quite the coup for any brand. They're classy, well spoken, and look the part of the gentlemen golfer. They're also relatable/aspirational for the 40-60 y/o golfer with discretionary income to spend. Golf's target demo. 

I've never questioned why a brand would want Rose. I get that completely. I question whether it's  in Rose's best interest to chase a few extra bucks vs playing his ideal set makeup. If the Frankenstein bag gives you the best chance to perform, do it. You can always cash in as the face of Tour Edge when you join the senior tour.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Rose hasn't played the WM Open since 2010. I think we can safely put him in the bucket of players that don't dig the scene. 

It's an elevated event now, totally different scenario with its 3.6M first prize. If Rose was happy with the bag, he would be in the field, no doubt in my mind

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

It's an elevated event now, totally different scenario with its 3.6M first prize. If Rose was happy with the bag, he would be in the field, no doubt in my mind

Really? You think it's more likely that a guy would skip an event because he's unhappy with a winning bag than skipping because he dislikes the course/event? He hasn't played it for over 12 years! Rahm was literally telling the media yesterday that there are a lot of pros that hate this event. I think skipping an event for over a decade is pretty solid proof what group Rose is in. 

Regarding elevated events, who cares. There are four more in the next 6 weeks. They all get to skip one and still maintain PIP eligibility. Why not skip the one you hate? Besides, Rose has made nearly $60M on the course and probably at least that off it. He's doesn't need to grind to make his mortgage. It's far more likely he just wants to rest his back before a busy schedule leading up to the Masters 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Really? You think it's more likely that a guy would skip an event because he's unhappy with a winning bag than skipping because he dislikes the course/event? He hasn't played it for over 12 years! Rahm was literally telling the media yesterday that there are a lot of pros that hate this event. I think skipping an event for over a decade is pretty solid proof what group Rose is in. 

Regarding elevated events, who cares. There are four more in the next 6 weeks. They all get to skip one and still maintain PIP eligibility. Why not skip the one you hate? Besides, Rose has made nearly $60M on the course and probably at least that off it. He's doesn't need to grind to make his mortgage. It's far more likely he just wants to rest his back before a busy schedule leading up to the Masters 

Bro..this whole thread is satire

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Krt22 said:

Agree. Watching him as I have , I’d bet anything he changes something before he plays again.   Probably irons.  Which isn’t a huge deal when you’ve never been a guy who stick with a set for long. 

• Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock