2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

AJGA Sponsors Exemptions

19 hours ago, leezer99 said:

Where would a person be able to find the criteria. I thought invitationals were simply tournaments for invited kids. If you have an example I’d be interested to see it. 

If you look under rankings on the AJGA website, there is a tab that says priority lists.  It has all the invitationals and their criteria.  I did notice most of the invitationals allowed for sponsor exemptions so I guess that is how some of these players are allowed to play. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jigsaw1011 said:

If you look under rankings on the AJGA website, there is a tab that says priority lists.  It has all the invitationals and their criteria.  I did notice most of the invitationals allowed for sponsor exemptions so I guess that is how some of these players are allowed to play. 

The thing about sponsors the only one that makes sense is when it's course exemption and they let a kid who plays they're in or a community who sponsors a local kid. 

I also don't have a problem with UHY who has their own tournaments you can win their sponships.

What I never like is a random kid who gets it because they built a reputation.   I think some kids have abused this loophole.

It's not just the AJGA but higher tours like the LPGA and Epson tour.   Years ago when epson was Symentra there was ton tournaments you could get a sponsor exemption. Well the short game happened and kids like Alexa Pano got those sponsorships instead of winning a qualifier. It has never really come back and even killed a few tournaments that used to have them. Now all you have to is convince some executive who hardly every player golf why you deserve it.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

The thing about sponsors the only one that makes sense is when it's course exemption and they let a kid who plays they're in or a community who sponsors a local kid. 

I also don't have a problem with UHY who has their own tournaments you can win their sponships.

What I never like is a random kid who gets it because they built a reputation.   I think some kids have abused this loophole.

It's not just the AJGA but higher tours like the LPGA and Epson tour.   Years ago when epson was Symentra there was ton tournaments you could get a sponsor exemption. Well the short game happened and kids like Alexa Pano got those sponsorships instead of winning a qualifier. It has never really come back and even killed a few tournaments that used to have them. Now all you have to is convince some executive who hardly every player golf why you deserve it.

Alexa nearly won some of those events. I’d say she absolutely deserved those invites

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

She may have deserved to be there but I still believe they should made her qualify. Not having qualifiers really hurt other kids.

She’s literally the exact kind of player they are thinking of when they talk about exemptions.  She made national news by playing in the final group as a 14 year old.  It was all over TV and attracted a bunch of attention to an event nobody would have paid attention to otherwise.   How did not having qualifiers “really hurt other kids” exactly? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iteachgolf said:

She’s literally the exact kind of player they are thinking of when they talk about exemptions.  She made national news by playing in the final group as a 14 year old.  It was all over TV and attracted a bunch of attention to an event nobody would have paid attention to otherwise.   How did not having qualifiers “really hurt other kids” exactly? 

I have no problem with her as a player.  What I do have a problem is around the hype and how other players her age were overlooked., 

There was no reason she couldn't have played and won the qualifiers like everyone else.   Why would you like sponsor exemptions over qualifiers? Don't you think your students deserve a crack at the same tournaments.

The only people who don't like qualifiers are ones who can't win.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

I have no problem with her as a player.  What I do have a problem is around the hype and how other players her age were overlooked., 

There was no reason she couldn't have played and won the qualifiers like everyone else.   Why would you like sponsor exemptions over qualifiers? Don't you think your students deserve a crack at the same tournaments.

The only people who don't like qualifiers are ones who can't win.

There are no qualifiers on Symetra.  She literally couldn’t have “qualified like everyone else” because nobody else qualified either.  

You say you have a problem with the hype, but it was obviously deserved.  Who exactly do you believe was overlooked ? As someone who taught the girl ranked in front of her around that time in her class I’m 100% ok with Alexa getting that invite.  She was the most ready to play at that level from that yardage at that age and it showed in the results.  

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 8:23 AM, wegobomber31 said:

JGS Diff for the initial field for the upcoming AJGA Sergio Garcia.  Can you guess which player received a sponsor's exemption?

My question is, what good does this serve anybody involved, especially the kid in question? There is some chance that he will be 100 strokes behind the next closest competitor.

chart (4).png

It's worth noting that the outlier in question actually fared okay and actually beat one other player in the field.  +54 for the 54-hole event and 51 shots back.

10 hours ago, iteachgolf said:

There are no qualifiers on Symetra.  She literally couldn’t have “qualified like everyone else” because nobody else qualified either.  

You say you have a problem with the hype, but it was obviously deserved.  Who exactly do you believe was overlooked ? As someone who taught the girl ranked in front of her around that time in her class I’m 100% ok with Alexa getting that invite.  She was the most ready to play at that level from that yardage at that age and it showed in the results.  

There used to be a few tournaments that offered symentra exemptions. They stopped doing them to give it to Pano instead of doing a qualifer.  It was peggy kirk that offered it in Florida about 4 or 5 years ago. 

There are still tournaments in other states that offer exemptions into epson tour.  The need to offer a junior exemption again like the used to in florida.

It’s odd that an instructor doesn’t think qualifier is good for there kids to play in it.

You didn’t believe in who you taught i thought you taught top level juniors. Did you tell their parents Pano deserved it over them.

Junior need more chances to play pro events. Most sponsorships are joke.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

There used to be a few tournaments that offered symentra exemptions. They stopped doing them to give it to Pano instead of doing a qualifer.  It was peggy kirk that offered it in Florida about 4 or 5 years ago. 

There are still tournaments in other states that offer exemptions into epson tour.  The need to offer a junior exemption again like the used to in florida.

It’s odd that an instructor doesn’t think qualifier is good for there kids to play in it.

You didn’t believe in who you taught i thought you taught top level juniors. Did you tell their parents Pano deserved it over them.

Junior need more chances to play pro events. Most sponsorships are joke.

Most 14 year olds have no business playing in professional events. I have zero issue telling parents this.  Juniors need to learn how to dominate at the junior level and be competitive at the national amateur level before even thinking about playing in professional events. I do teach top level juniors including the reigning Rolex player of the year and unanimous number 1 in the rankings, and she hasn’t played an LPGA or Epson tour event yet (will play first this year after ANWA).  

Again there are no qualifiers for the Epson Tour, they don’t have Monday qualifiers.  So no I’m not entitled enough to think that they “have to add a junior exemption” to the winner of a junior event. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iteachgolf said:

Most 14 year olds have no business playing in professional events. I have zero issue telling parents this.  Juniors need to learn how to dominate at the junior level and be competitive at the national amateur level before even thinking about playing in professional events. I do teach top level juniors including the reigning Rolex player of the year and unanimous number 1 in the rankings, and she hasn’t played an LPGA or Epson tour event yet (will play first this year after ANWA).  

Again there are no qualifiers for the Epson Tour, they don’t have Monday qualifiers.  So no I’m not entitled enough to think that they “have to add a junior exemption” to the winner of a junior event. 

Like I said they used to have them.   It amazing you don’t know about qualifiers and tournaments for the epson tour. There is many ways a junior can qualify out there.

But then again you teach juniors and have no interest in them making money based on your statements.

If my kid was number 1 player and not playing qualifiers and seen your statement I would fire you in an instant.

Coaches are dime a dozen out there and it pretty obvious from your statements you have a lot to learn.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Like I said they used to have them.   It amazing you don’t know about qualifiers and tournaments for the epson tour. There is many ways a junior can qualify out there.

But then again you teach juniors and have no interest in them making money based on your statements.

If my kid was number 1 player and not playing qualifiers and seen your statement I would fire you in an instant.

Coaches are dime a dozen out there and it pretty obvious from your statements you have a lot to learn.

What are you even talking about?  They can’t make money playing events as an amateur so how exactly am I against them “making money”? 

A player can play all the LPGA qualifiers they want.  I’d still tell 99% of 14 year olds they have better ways to develop their talent and aren’t ready for that stage yet.  Again if you can’t excel at the lower levels trying to play in a professional event is a waste. 

Do you think the player I teach that is/was #1 didn’t have opportunities?  She skipped multiple invitationals last year in order to not get burnt out and prioritized certain events over playing 7 events in 8 weeks just because she got into all of them.  And that plan worked out extremely well. 

A tournament winner earning a sponsors invite (like the Sally winner gets) isn’t a qualifier.  The Epson Tour doesn’t have qualifiers.  

I’ll finish by saying thankfully most parents aren’t like you.  You might learn something or two from hers though, both parents were D1 athletes and her dad is very highly regarded D1 coach who’s been around elite golf most of his life.

Edited by iteachgolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, iteachgolf said:

What are you even talking about?  They can’t make money playing events as an amateur so how exactly am I against them “making money”? 

A player can play all the LPGA qualifiers they want.  I’d still tell 99% of 14 year olds they have better ways to develop their talent and aren’t ready for that stage yet.  Again if you can’t excel at the lower levels trying to play in a professional event is a waste. 

Do you think the player I teach that is/was #1 didn’t have opportunities?  She skipped multiple invitationals last year in order to not get burnt out and prioritized certain events over playing 7 events in 8 weeks just because she got into all of them.  And that plan worked out extremely well. 

A tournament winner earning a sponsors invite (like the Sally winner gets) isn’t a qualifier.  The Epson Tour doesn’t have qualifiers.  

I’ll finish by saying thankfully most parents aren’t like you.  You might learn something or two from hers though, both parents were D1 athletes and her dad is very highly regarded D1 coach who’s been around elite golf most of his life.

I have no idea why you go round and round in a fit.

This says a lot about your personality and how you assume things.

Truly shocked you talk like this and try and prove your correct when all I said is there should be a qualifier.

Also talking about your couple of clients is unprofessional reminds me of the coach who posted stuff about a certain junior you seem to defend on social media. Lucky dad didn’t sue him for what he posted.

But maybe you don’t care and just like those coaches we know just like to charge $200 an hour for what amounts to not much advice they couldn’t get for half the price elsewhere.

so your correct you are lucky you can find parents that just fork over money and don’t ask hard questions.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I have no idea why you go round and round in a fit.

This says a lot about your personality and how you assume things.

Truly shocked you talk like this and try and prove your correct when all I said is there should be a qualifier.

Also talking about your couple of clients is unprofessional reminds me of the coach who posted stuff about a certain junior you seem to defend on social media. Lucky dad didn’t sue him for what he posted.

But maybe you don’t care

Again what are you talking about?  You’re the one in the uproar, I’m perfectly calm.  I try to help parents and readers navigate junior golf.  There is a boatload of bad information out there and most can’t tell the difference between good and bad info. 

Now you say there should be a qualifier, last post you implied I was an idiot because I didn’t know about all the qualifiers the Epson Tour host. There are zero Epson Tour qualifiers.  A tournament offering an exemption is between that tournament and the title sponsor.  It’s not a qualifier.   

Do you not realize how ridiculous your statement is that junior golfers need more opportunities to play pro events?  99.99999% are worlds behind the average Epson or Korn Ferry Tour player.  

I have way more than a “couple clients” and I’m not sharing anything I wouldn’t tell any other junior parent.  It’s not secret info and almost all of it is public record.  It’s used to illustrate a point and provide evidence based on actual real world experience 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, iteachgolf said:

Again what are you talking about?  You’re the one in the uproar, I’m perfectly calm.  I try to help parents and readers navigate junior golf.  There is a boatload of bad information out there and most can’t tell the difference between good and bad info. 

Now you say there should be a qualifier, last post you implied I was an idiot because I didn’t know about all the qualifiers the Epson Tour host. There are zero Epson Tour qualifiers.  A tournament offering an exemption is between that tournament and the title sponsor.  It’s not a qualifier.   

Do you not realize how ridiculous your statement is that junior golfers need more opportunities to play pro events?  99.99999% are worlds behind the average Epson or Korn Ferry Tour player.  

I have way more than a “couple clients” and I’m not sharing anything I wouldn’t tell any other junior parent.  It’s not secret info and almost all of it is public record.  It’s used to illustrate a point and provide evidence based on actual real world experience 

There is a reason you don’t teach well known pga players. Hate to break it but a coach who is D1 player most likely didn’t need an instructor.  Not your average kid.

Again your assuming players don’t have skill and that is where I have a problem.

who cares if they have the skill or not. What happens if someone does and they are not well known.

I guess they are suppose to pay you to tell them not to play.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

There is a reason you don’t teach well known pga players. Hate to break it but a coach who is D1 player most likely didn’t need an instructor.  Not your average kid.

Again your assuming players don’t have skill and that is where I have a problem.

who cares if they have the skill or not. What happens if someone does and they are not well known.

I guess they are suppose to pay you to tell them not to play.

Again you keep projecting stuff nobody has ever said.  What does being well known have to do with anything?  If a young girl was good enough to be competitive at the professional level they would be well known.  There isn’t some girl capable of beating top pros who regularly shoots in the mid 60s that nobody has ever heard of.  That player doesn’t exist.  The handful of girls that were that good absolutely became well known.   How am I assuming a player doesn’t have skill?  You either shoot the scores or you can’t.  If you’re good enough to play at that level you’ll have plenty of chances to prove it.  Once again the LPGA Tour has Monday qualifiers almost every week.  

Hate to break it to you but I’ve worked with a decent number of well known PGA Tour players.  Most D1 coaches played college golf, and most have no business being swing instructors and would admit as much.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, iteachgolf said:

Again you keep projecting stuff nobody has ever said.  What does being well known have to do with anything?  If a young girl was good enough to be competitive at the professional level they would be well known.  There isn’t some girl capable of beating top pros who regularly shoots in the mid 60s that nobody has ever heard of.  That player doesn’t exist.  The handful of girls that were that good absolutely became well known.   How am I assuming a player doesn’t have skill?  You either shoot the scores or you can’t.  If you’re good enough to play at that level you’ll have plenty of chances to prove it.  Once again the LPGA Tour has Monday qualifiers almost every week.  

Hate to break it to you but I’ve worked with a decent number of well known PGA Tour players.  Most D1 coaches played college golf, and most have no business being swing instructors and would admit as much.  

I think I can say we just disagree and that is okay.

I really don’t care to go into details but you are not a coach I would hire based on what I seen online.   

Your profile is very public and I didn’t see any names like other coaches have listed.  Most instructors actually post names the ones I seen you have not won much money like others have posted.  

There are a lot guys teaching juniors and I understand this forum is how you like to get business so you like to act the way you do. But like I said many coaches have more resume’s then you have and give very different advice.

Like I said we can just say we disagree and leave it at that.  

• Confused 1

Right now, the 2 juniors getting almost all the sponsor invites, are Anna Davis and Giana Clemente, deservedly. Prior to that, as juniors, Rachel Heck, Rose Zhang, Alexa Pano & Megha Ganne received the majority of invites , deservedly. Sponsors want them there, as they will the next great juniors to come up. It helps make their tournament special.

They were not only invited due to their playing records in amateur events, but other pro tournaments. No one pays attention to AJGA, as the level of play is weak, and most great players gravitate away at 15-16, often only playing some to see friends.

Those players above received multiple invites not only due to play, but maturity, and social skills. Amateurs, and lower level competitors are not allowed into pro ams generally, but guarantee those players above were, and sponsors loved playing with them. I'd also bet the above players turned down  many additional invites due to schedule conflicts.

Qualifiers?? LPGA was very intelligent to remove Symetra/Epson qualifiers, as it allowed 'next in line' ranking wise to get some play. There are hundreds of players in line from Q school. Besides, amateurs could not just 'sign up' as they need invites to any qualifier.

But seriously, any parent wondering why their child hasn't received invites needs to be honest with themselves. Any instructor telling his player not to accept invite, is wrong instructor who never played at higher level or understood the value of it.

1 hour ago, JDee1935 said:

Right now, the 2 juniors getting almost all the sponsor invites, are Anna Davis and Giana Clemente, deservedly. Prior to that, as juniors, Rachel Heck, Rose Zhang, Alexa Pano & Megha Ganne received the majority of invites , deservedly. Sponsors want them there, as they will the next great juniors to come up. It helps make their tournament special.

They were not only invited due to their playing records in amateur events, but other pro tournaments. No one pays attention to AJGA, as the level of play is weak, and most great players gravitate away at 15-16, often only playing some to see friends.

Those players above received multiple invites not only due to play, but maturity, and social skills. Amateurs, and lower level competitors are not allowed into pro ams generally, but guarantee those players above were, and sponsors loved playing with them. I'd also bet the above players turned down  many additional invites due to schedule conflicts.

Qualifiers?? LPGA was very intelligent to remove Symetra/Epson qualifiers, as it allowed 'next in line' ranking wise to get some play. There are hundreds of players in line from Q school. Besides, amateurs could not just 'sign up' as they need invites to any qualifier.

But seriously, any parent wondering why their child hasn't received invites needs to be honest with themselves. Any instructor telling his player not to accept invite, is wrong instructor who never played at higher level or understood the value of it.

Let’s be clear, nobody told a player not to accept an invite.  Being invited to play an LPGA Tour event is an opportunity anyone should take if feasible. Monday qualifiers are totally different. I absolutely would tell almost all teenagers that chasing Monday qualifiers is a waste of time.  The players being invited are the exceptions and would benefit from playing professional events have the games that would be competitive.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, iteachgolf said:

Welcome to the new age where disagreeing on a topic is throwing a fit, "hating on" someone, heck there's probably some racism/sexism/jingoism and other "-isms" in there as well.

I'm not sure whether you should be commended or condemned for continuing to engage.  

Just now, iteachgolf said:

The players being invited are the exceptions and would benefit from playing professional events have the games that would be competitive.  

I was with you until this.  I don't think the ones doing the inviting care if the kid would benefit.  Did Michelle Wie really benefit from playing in PGA Tour events?

6 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

I was with you until this.  I don't think the ones doing the inviting care if the kid would benefit.  Did Michelle Wie really benefit from playing in PGA Tour events?

I wasn’t saying the sponsors care if the kid would benefit.  I’m saying if you’re good enough to be invited there’s a benefit to accepting it.  

I actually believe Michelle did benefit from playing in PGA Tour events. As did Annika.  Michelle struggled with putting and injuries or her career would have been very different 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, iteachgolf said:

Let’s be clear, nobody told a player not to accept an invite.  Being invited to play an LPGA Tour event is an opportunity anyone should take if feasible. Monday qualifiers are totally different. I absolutely would tell almost all teenagers that chasing Monday qualifiers is a waste of time.  The players being invited are the exceptions and would benefit from playing professional events have the games that would be competitive.  

I don't think they are a waste of time.  They probably have as much a chance winning the lottery as they do qualifying.  Even the guys that are mini tour journeyman are better than the male Juniors.  I think there is an experience value there playing in that qualifier with better players just as I do a junior playing the occasional mini tour event.  

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

1 hour ago, iteachgolf said:

At the end of the day when it comes to LPGA invites you either have what it takes or you don't to make the cut.  Getting sponsorships is great if you get them but let's be honest most those kids who get them have no chance to win either.  Also most them will never make the cut and will most likely never make any money as they get older.

If a kid has a little grit and skill playing against people who earn their living with golf will teach more than any instructor can. Those Monday Qualifiers and Mini tour events are how a lot amateurs  who eventually go on to the big leagues learn if they have what it takes.

Just hearing them talk is nerve racking they have to put up a number or they don't eat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 5:37 AM, MahalNeneng said:

was just at AJGA KJ in Dallas and boy from Washington got exemption from KJ 🙂 I would say he would not of made it into the event (14 year old)

I don't think that boy from Washington needed exemption from KJ. He is ranked top 100 AJGA. I'm guessing he is at least top 10 ranked in the field entering the tournament.  

On 3/16/2023 at 9:39 AM, heavy_hitter said:

I emailed asking AJGA for an exemption in our area in exchange for Volunteering every day at the event.  The answer was "No" we don't exchange exemptions for volunteering.  Why would I ever volunteer then?  Much better places to spend my time Volunteering to help people than wasting it at an AJGA event benefitting mostly over privileged kids.

We have a new event coming to area this year.  Shortly after it was put on the calendar, AJGA emailed and called, asking  us if we would not just volunteer but be on the tournament planning committee.  Mind you, they called us. We said we would consider it if he was in the event.  They said something to the effect of 'the exemptions are already taken but your son has done well in qualifiers'. As you said, why would we volunteer for an AJGA event that our kid might not even play in?  

We have no issue playing in qualifiers but even getting in to qualifiers is a wild goose chase at times.  We get different advice from everyone we talk to at AJGA which has included a read between the lines sort of suggestion to play fewer local /regional events to more effectively manage/enhance our kids ranking.  It's not as if he's playing entry level, one day events or every single week.  These are the better and best events in our section.  I just can't buy in to the idea that playing fewer events for the sake of rankings will somehow make him a better player.  Plus, he likes playing tournament golf, regardless of the name on the banner.  He's pretty much shifted his focus away from worrying about AJGA to playing we playing well in our State AM and Open, PGA Section Jr Championship and US Jr Am qualifying.

• Like 4