2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Handicap down to 7, ditch the GI irons?

ThreePuttForPar

1 hour ago, ThreePuttForPar said:

Well that sucks. When doing a custom fitting what’s the best solution then? A big store? Trying to find a small boutique type fitter (sounds expensive)? A demo day if it’s a manufacturer you like (which seems limiting)? 

More and more I’m liking the buy and try and then employ the stores exchange policy  till you get it right method. Which is a drag.

Sorry this is turning into a fitting thread. I’m so curious about this world, and know nothing other than the YouTube people all say “get fit get fit get fit”

The best way to find a good fitter is to find someone who is highly recommended by folks with similar golf budgets as you. I play public courses. The fitter I now use was a result of numerous folks I got paired up with over time talking about getting fit at the same shop and being really happy with their clubs, price, etc. So I gave them a try and it has been great. If you play with random folks, can just chat about buying clubs and fitting and perhaps a name will emerge over time as continuously getting good reviews. If you are a country club guy perhaps members have folks they like if you ask. Finding a good fitter is hard though. 

Having said all that, I do want to say that my putter is from a Club Champion fitting. It was no more expensive than elsewhere ($200). They had a special on putter fittings when I went (free with purchase or something), and I love the putter and it has shaved strokes. SeeMore FGP Mallet. I also got my 3 wood there and love that too, but that one does have an aftermarket shaft so it was pricy as folks say re club champion. But, for that club, which is so hard to find one that I have confidence in from the ground like I do this one, it was worth it. I’ve also heard that when there are problems with club champion equipment they are difficult. But that is not from personal experience. 

Edited by ECgolf
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, dayvei214 said:

Personally I find fittings to be a bit of miss. Sometimes you have fitters that have a good idea of what you should be placed into and some just for distance down your throat ahem PXG... for me I've tested enough over the years to know what I like and don't like, as well as how it fits with my driver setup and ball choice. For example for myself, I currently play pro v1x with my t100s and when I switch over to honma tr20b I switch over to pro v1 to kill that spin just a little. Only trouble is when I switch over my drives tends to hurt a little because I'm not getting enough of spin.  I think if you're looking for something a little more challenging and crave some more feedback in your iron strikes definitely consider moving into something like the zx5 mkii combo set.  When I switched over to blades and blade-ish type irons a couple years ago it opened my eyes up to how poor of an iron striker I was. My index suffered for a little bit but it just made me work a little harder in becoming a better ball striker. What ever you choose, just go in to it without regrets know that you're mishits might hurt a little more and distance may not be as long. In the end however it's up to you on how you want to address that practice more or like some say don't make the game any harder and Stick with the the GI irons. I will say however nothing feels better than a pure long iron shot. Just for the love of God do not go to club champion.

Cheers!

Once at Mid Pines I hit my hickory 2-iron as well as any shot I have hit.  Unfortunately, that was about 1 out of 20.  😄

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

1 hour ago, ECgolf said:

The best way to find a good fitter is to find someone who is highly recommended by folks with similar golf budgets as you. I play public courses. The fitter I now use was a result of numerous folks I got paired up with over time talking about getting fit at the same shop and being really happy with their clubs, price, etc. So I gave them a try and it has been great. If you play with random folks, can just chat about buying clubs and fitting and perhaps a name will emerge over time as continuously getting good reviews. If you are a country club guy perhaps members have folks they like if you ask. Finding a good fitter is hard though. 

Having said all that, I do want to say that my putter is from a Club Champion fitting. It was no more expensive than elsewhere ($200). They had a special on putter fittings when I went (free with purchase or something), and I love the putter and it has shaved strokes. SeeMore FGP Mallet. I also got my 3 wood there and love that too, but that one does have an aftermarket shaft so it was pricy as folks say re club champion. But, for that club, which is so hard to find one that I have confidence in from the ground like I do this one, it was worth it. I’ve also heard that when there are problems with club champion equipment they are difficult. But that is not from personal experience. 

I think that it was Rocky Thompson who had a whole bag of mis-fits.  Nothing matched anything else.  Lately, Bernhard Langer has played a split set of irons of two different manufacturers.

So if you have the funds, try what you want and keep the individual clubs that you like!

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

On 2/28/2023 at 1:27 PM, ThreePuttForPar said:

I have been thinking this would be a good option, I just worry that there is pressure to buy, and having never done a fitting I assumed you don’t do it unless planning to buy. Feel like it would just annoy the fitter.

Tip him $20-$40 for their time.  Helps you say no as well and not feel bad.  I am in sales and I fall in love easy.  Cars, clubs, wait staff.  I hate saying NO!  lol

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

Well, if you go with my thought of just getting a 9-P-G, don't bother with getting a fitting. Just go to a place that can bend your clubs later if you need it.

Thing is, you just say yours are chunky… but you're not saying "I always hit heel first and flip left when I miss". And if you're chunking from 65-100, that's your Vokey SW, right?

Don't get hung up on fitting if you're going to order just a couple. The differences between them will help to fit yourself. All you're going to tell the fitter is "these heads are far too big", and he'll say "OK, here are some smaller ones". Then maybe order them a degree up or down depending on the day.

You need more personal data from yourself. What happens when you botch a wedge? Are you blading it? Duffing it? Toe-ing it? Hell, I think a fitting might be counterproductive without 'knowing thyself' a little better first.

• Thanks 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

I tried to buy a better game with new clubs, that’s just a small part of the equation.  Practice more and buy less!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Titleist TSR2 10* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 16.5* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 18* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 21* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist CNCPT CP-04 5-7 CP-03 8-48 Aerotech Steelfiber i80cw
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* 10 S Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM9 60* T Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Scotty Cameron Pathfinder Mainstay Bag

14 hours ago, RGMan said:

If you want irons just to get new irons than buy them. I'd recommend getting custom fit for length and lie angle if your taller or shorter than average.

If you're thinking the GI irons are the missing link from a 7 to a scratch then I think you're going to regret buying new irons. They're not going to take your GIR numbers up significantly.  If you're looking for lower scores start chipping and putting almost every day and get deadly from 80 yards in. That's where you score as a weekend golfer. It's not "sexy", but it's the truth.

Stupid question…. What’s average height now?

On 2/28/2023 at 9:43 AM, ThreePuttForPar said:

Hi all,

Played a lot of golf when I was in my 20’s. Not so much in my 30’s. Now I’m 40 I got the bug again about 6 mo ago.

When I got the bug again I went through a few sets and settled on Titleist T300. 

Started back shooting high 80’s- mid 90’s, depending on the course, but have got back to breaking 80 once in a while on easier courses. 

I have been loving t300’s forgiveness and distance, especially when first getting back into it. But now that I’m finding the face more often again. I’m really contemplating something more like a Srixon ZX5/7, Miz 225 or Jpx pro, P770/p790, i525…

I’ve also never been custom fit, ever, in 25 years of golf. I’ve always just used the 90 return policy at my local Roger Dunn golf shop to “fit myself” by keep swapping clubs till I get something I like.

Anyone else blow the dust off their game with GI irons and then move back to mid-playerish irons?

Did you see any benefits other than feel?

Do custom  fits really make that big of a difference if you live near a shop where you can just keep trying all the different off the rack sets?

Is this more of an ego issue in an attempt to recapture my youth? 🤣🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Would love to hear experiences or feedback. Thank y’all!

I know many very good players that have GI clubs in their bags so don't let that be a reason to open your wallet.    There are trade-offs going either way with blades or GI irons.

Feel?    My Ping G5's feel just as nice as my T100's when I hit them well.  It is a slightly different feeling considering the differences in shafts, grips, and head construction.... but great.   Both models feel like crap when I put a bad swing on them.  

The T100's win out in workability for me, especially if I'm trying to hit low cut recovery shots. On the other hand my G5 irons are about a club club longer and more forgiving. I do have to exaggerate my swing a bit to work the G5's, but it's doable.

A fitting wouldn't hurt you................ but keep in mind that it's not the "holy grail" that some make it out to be.

• Like 1

Need to get to pages 3 and 4 of the comments usually to get the real stuff. See it on page 4, none of it matters, don't mess with it if it's going well. Someone here will quote what a certain pro does, then leave out the 10 hours of practice per day the pro grinds, every time. Hilarious. Accept where you are and when you have time, work with what you have to get better.

that being said, it is not going well for me right now so I am wandering. Makes me appreciate the days when I should have been ok with predictable consistent strikes (for 15 yards less than whatever clubs I became convinced to buy)....now I'm on set 10 of still finding my way back.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 8:42 PM, karstens_ghost said:

I'll take that one.

Club Champion wants to build you exotics so they can make a margin. Your RD stores and the like don't make money on the builds, so they're going to try to get you to buy the highest quantity of clubs, as they make more money per-club-sale.

Most CC's are going to charge full RRV, and then an assembly fee. It's not bad in itself, but they make more by selling you the most obscure stuff they can get a 40% margin. It's amazing they always fit you in a driver that has a $183,000 shaft in it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I'll add to that... When you buy a set of irons for example from CC they pick up fully assembled sets. Example, you buy some T100s they could possibly order them in PX LZ shafts that are stock and pull the shafts to put in whatever exotic shaft they put in probably something like LA GOLF shaft at the moment. They then keep the existing shaft's and do lord knows what with them, but they charge you for the pull and reshaft. So per club you just went from say 179 to 350 or 400. Problem is that for most golfers they don't need that exotic and the majority of people that get fit there don't play to the level of where they need that shaft.

Met a a couple of guy's recently fit into o mki zx5 4-pw ran them 3600 dollars.

The bad part is that I met them at pgass and when they tried the same heads in modus 105 they were getting the same numbers give or take a few yards. The worst part is they got the irons a week before the mkii came out and CC made no mention to them about it.

So in short. DO NOT GO TO CLUB CHAMPION! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2023 at 11:38 AM, gvogel said:

Once at Mid Pines I hit my hickory 2-iron as well as any shot I have hit.  Unfortunately, that was about 1 out of 20.  😄

So the question then is if that's a gamer in your bag, do you just take it as it is and say I'm only good at striking it well 5% of the time or do you work on it until you can strike it solid 90 percent of the time. 😉

But like I said nothing feels better than puring a long iron 

20 minutes ago, dayvei214 said:

I'll add to that... When you buy a set of irons for example from CC they pick up fully assembled sets. Example, you buy some T100s they could possibly order them in PX LZ shafts that are stock and pull the shafts to put in whatever exotic shaft they put in probably something like LA GOLF shaft at the moment. They then keep the existing shaft's and do lord knows what with them, but they charge you for the pull and reshaft. So per club you just went from say 179 to 350 or 400. Problem is that for most golfers they don't need that exotic and the majority of people that get fit there don't play to the level of where they need that shaft.

Met a a couple of guy's recently fit into o mki zx5 4-pw ran them 3600 dollars.

The bad part is that I met them at pgass and when they tried the same heads in modus 105 they were getting the same numbers give or take a few yards. The worst part is they got the irons a week before the mkii came out and CC made no mention to them about it.

So in short. DO NOT GO TO CLUB CHAMPION! 

$3600! Ouch. Especially with no performance benefit. This is a good reminder for me to never hit a stock shaft Rogue ST Max 3 wood anywhere. I’m super happy with mine that I got at Club Champion with an aftermarket shaft and do not want to know whether a stock shaft would have been just as good at this point. I currently believe the aftermarket shaft I paid for is better for me. Nothing good comes from bursting that bubble. Ignorance is bliss sometimes. 

Edited by ECgolf
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dayvei214 said:

So the question then is if that's a gamer in your bag, do you just take it as it is and say I'm only good at striking it well 5% of the time or do you work on it until you can strike it solid 90 percent of the time. 😉

I like the feel of a perfectly struck nippy pitch that one hops and stops at the hole slightly better, but I hit that shot well far less frequently than even the pure long iron. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 3:05 AM, karstens_ghost said:

As you've seen, no one is going to have the "right" answer on a forum when what you need is some data, or some known thing that needs fixing.

Based on your listed set-up, I'd march down to the shop and order 9i-PW-GW in the T-100S. Get the 9 & P bent 1º strong. (39/43/48)

Then, experiment with things. 3 clubs won't break the bank. Those three will also suit you for most of your 100-150 yard shots, assuming you're not too far out of norms. You might like it, you might hate it, you might find a reason to be seasonal with which ones you bag on a particular day. Either way, what'll happen is you'll find whether or not you're hitting more greens with those three, or you're not. If you're not, they can still be good range swappers. If you do start getting more accurate, you'll then have to decide where you go up the bag. Maybe you get the 7 & 8. Maybe you get T200s in 6, 7, 8… maybe you stay as you are.

The one thing I don't think you'll find fruitful is a straight swap all the way up the irons. I could be wrong, but if you wanted to hit a T100 in a 5-iron, you probably aren't asking *us* what we think.

Good luck.

This seems like good advice. 

The only thing I'd add is to make sure that the shaft is the same as your other irons. Otherwise you're adding a new variable to the testing and may see different results based on the shaft being different, not the head. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

3 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

This seems like good advice. 

The only thing I'd add is to make sure that the shaft is the same as your other irons. Otherwise you're adding a new variable to the testing and may see different results based on the shaft being different, not the head. 

If I didn't say that before, yes. Make them the same shaft, and grip, and that's why I suggested the bend to get them closer to a match. Good call out.

• Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

On 2/28/2023 at 1:32 PM, ThreePuttForPar said:

This is one of my fears, wasting money switching, and then wanting to go back. Ugh. Zx4 mkii is looking nice…

This is why I like mixed sets, especially when someone has something that is working and wants to experiment with "more players" profile irons. You can add a t100 or t200 in a few short irons and see if they work out, instead of going the full $1200 for a set, 2-3 irons (8-PW) will run sub $500ish. 

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

On 3/4/2023 at 12:34 PM, dayvei214 said:

Well, as it is a hickory club, I only practiced with it a bit before playing hickory tournaments, which I gave up because as heavy as they are, I could only play 1 or 2 days in a row with them before I couldn't stand up straight.

But back in 1978-79 I had a Lynx Liberty Bell 3-iron which was maybe my best club in the bag!

On 3/3/2023 at 5:57 PM, ThreePuttForPar said:

Played yesterday, shot 81 at a challenging course, pretty typical for me there. I had this thread fresh in my mind as I worked my way around the course. After chunking a wedge from 65-100 yds in 3 times, only hitting one of the par 3’s in reg, and missing a handful of putts inside 10ft, it’s obvious I need some smaller irons.  🤦‍♂️

One of the best things I ever did was to get the same regular shaft in my sand wedge as in my irons.  At 62 or so, I was ready for regular shafts.  It made a difference in my wedge.  Fitter at Manchester Lane recommended that, and I am forever grateful.

• Thanks 2