USGA and R&A announce proposal to limit golf ball performance for elite level competition

elwhippy

27 minutes ago, SirFuego said:

This is a naive equipment question, and I'm not about to go through the 300+ pages to see if this has been discussed, but assuming that the rollback is changing the swing speed at which balls are tested, the two solutions to me seem that they will need to make the balls spinnier and/or softer (or whatever the proper term would be to reduce the ball speed).

I know that the COR is currently limited in drivers, but if the balls are spinnier do they still have more room in the current head/shaft designs to further lower the spin?  That would seem like a way that manufactures can let folks regain distance -- by buying a new expensive driver...

You're looking at the problem the wrong way.

The current distance test does not limit the golf ball speed or spin. It defines the impact conditions and launch parameters (there is a small range for spin and launch angle) and based on the measured numbers after impact it is an aerodynamic calculation.

Based on what was proposed for the MLR, it is almost certain that the new procedure will be the same, but with different numbers for CHS at impact, launch angle, and spin. Again, there has been no discussion so far of limiting the initial ball velocity (i.e. making the ball softer)

So, in the end, it will be almost certainly a decision to increase the aerodynamic drag. If I'm wrong, I promise to eat a large steak with some wine as penance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

59 minutes ago, riddyl said:

Interesting conversation on here with Lou Stagner, Sasho MacKenzie and Mark Crossfield.

https://www.hackitoutgolf.com/

It's interesting to me that they claim to argue from a position of honesty and then he brings up running shoes, which by the way have been regulated. Though they are correct that it wouldn't apply to all runners, which is why there should be bifurcation, almost all sports at the highest level have more stringent or different rules. I would be interested to hear their thoughts on banning a certain type of swim suit for competition. 

https://lhsepic.com/7263/sports/world-athletics-sets-new-regulations-on-running-shoes/

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/full-body-swimsuit-now-banned-professional-swimmers/story?id=9437780

The main criticism would be that the USGA/R&A should have acted long ago. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

4 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

It's interesting to me that they claim to argue from a position of honesty and then he brings up running shoes, which by the way have been regulated. Though they are correct that it wouldn't apply to all runners, which is why there should be bifurcation, almost all sports at the highest level have more stringent or different rules. I would be interested to hear their thoughts on banning a certain type of swim suit for competition. 

https://lhsepic.com/7263/sports/world-athletics-sets-new-regulations-on-running-shoes/

Yup. Another example - Aluminum bats in college vs wood only for the pros. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/full-body-swimsuit-now-banned-professional-swimmers/story?id=9437780

The main criticism would be that the USGA/R&A should have acted long ago. 

The running shoe regulation pretty much does apply to all runners as a result of manufacturers complying with the limits on their top tier shoes. You aren't going to go out and find two different pair of Alpha Flys on the shelves, one with a legal stack height and one without. Not to mention, the regulation on the shoes was levied at the time the shoes first started hitting the market. It's not like they've been out for 20 years and suddenly USATF and all other governing bodies said, "Woah, hold up. We need to go back and change what shoes are actually legal and roll all this advancement back." 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, st1800e said:

Agree wholeheartedly with all that,  except the last 2 sentences.  As you pointed out the game is more difficult,  IOW, scores are higher from further away. That also applies if you’re 40 yards away vs 20 yards away.  

Correct.  But, my point was, if you're 3rd or 4th shot is hoping to get close enough for a par chance and your GIR percentage is super low, it would probably have less impact on your average score than having your GIR going from 50% to like 25%.  

So, I guess, what I am trying to say, a 40 yard pitch shot is harder than a 20 yarder. But, it's significantly harder to hit the green from 200 vs 180 in comparison. And, if you're not hitting the green anyway, having to take a little extra club to get it to a similar missed green area it is easier than hitting the target from greater distance.  

Edited by radiman
  • Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

2 hours ago, GoGoErky said:

Because bifurcation is bad for the game as a whole. Nobody wants bifurcation except regular golfers think pros hit the ball too far and want to see 1980s golf from the modern player 

Could you explain to me why bifurcation is bad for golf?

You have another poster commenting an amateur may not lose any distance. I can't see how that is going to be true. If it is true isn't that bifurcation. The pros hitting a ball that doesn't go as far and an amateur playing a ball that goes the same distance as before.

I personally hit the Supersoft 10 yds farther than a ProV. Do you want me to believe that the ProV is going to be rolled back 15 yds? while I can play my rolled back Supersoft and maintain my same distance as before. I'm sure when the word gets out that you can play a ball at half the price and maintain distance Titleist isn't going to be happy about that. I always say it's about the money when something doesn't make sense to me. Look at how many people play the ProV because the pros do when there might be a better ball for them at a cheaper price. It's kind of hard to sell a bifurcated ball to the average Joe. The ProV the longest rolled back ball on tour but not as long as an amateur ball. The only thing that makes sense is to roll back every ball so that the big boys can still make their money. Follow the money.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SirFuego said:

This is a naive equipment question, and I'm not about to go through the 300+ pages to see if this has been discussed, but assuming that the rollback is changing the swing speed at which balls are tested, the two solutions to me seem that they will need to make the balls spinnier and/or softer (or whatever the proper term would be to reduce the ball speed).

I know that the COR is currently limited in drivers, but if the balls are spinnier do they still have more room in the current head/shaft designs to further lower the spin?  That would seem like a way that manufactures can let folks regain distance -- by buying a new expensive driver...

it seems that with the modern hollow irons that manufacturers have a lot more control over CG and they could probably use it to improve ball speed.  From my experience with single length irons, that concept certainly seems to work -- design the long irons with a hotter face and lower CG to account for the shorter shaft.  It seems to me that they could manipulate the parameters on the irons as well to boost ball speed off the face and perhaps tweak spin/launch angle for the new ball characteristics.  That would seem like a way manufactures can let folks regain distance -- by buying a new expensive set of irons...

How far off base is this or is my tin foil hat on too tightly?

You are off base.  The ball manufacturers simply have to make balls that do not exceed 317 yards when hit by a driver at 125 mph, given certain launch and spin parameters.  The manufacturers are free to produce balls with different spin characteristics, so long as they meet the overall distance standard.

• Like 2
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

4 minutes ago, hackeraz said:

The running shoe regulation pretty much does apply to all runners as a result of manufacturers complying with the limits on their top tier shoes. You aren't going to go out and find two different pair of Alpha Flys on the shelves, one with a legal stack height and one without. Not to mention, the regulation on the shoes was levied at the time the shoes first started hitting the market. It's not like they've been out for 20 years and suddenly USATF and all other governing bodies said, "Woah, hold up. We need to go back and change what shoes are actually legal and roll all this advancement back." 

Thanks for the clarification as I'm not well-versed, I just don't like lazily employed metaphors to other sports especially when they don't actually support the point you think you're making. As I said, letting it go on this long is a very fair criticism. I just don't agree with the view that that means they can't do anything now. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

12 minutes ago, gvogel said:

You are off base.  The ball manufacturers simply have to make balls that do not exceed 317 yards when hit by a driver at 125 mph, given certain launch and spin parameters.  The manufacturers are free to produce balls with different spin characteristics, so long as they meet the overall distance standard.

Yep.  And golf ball manufacturers already produce a huge range of balls that have to meet current rules.  There is a huge difference between a Supersoft and a Chromesoft X LS.  But Callaway makes both, they both pass the USGA tests.  Different cores, layers, dimples, spin characteristics etc.  Yet for various technical reasons, a 120+mph driver swing speed player likely isn't choosing a supersoft, and most slow swing players aren't hitting a Chromesoft X LS.  

The manufacturers already have to have all of their balls tested and pass the current regs.  Changing the regs doesn't mean everyone will be playing only one ball.  There will still be soft, firm, 4 piece, 2 piece, 318 dimple, 382 dimple etc.   

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

5 minutes ago, radiman said:

Correct.  But, my point was, if you're 3rd or 4th shot is hoping to get close enough for a par chance and your GIR percentage is super low, it would probably have less impact on your average score than having your GIR going from 50% to like 25%.  

So, I guess, what I am trying to say, a 40 yard pitch shot is harder than a 20 yarder. But, it's significantly harder to hit the green from 200 vs 180 in comparison. And, if you're not hitting the green anyway, having to take a little extra club to get it to a similar missed green area it is easier than hitting the target from greater distance.  

How do you know how hard the GAME should BE?  Don't we all determine how difficult something is by comparing our results to the results of others?

So, it is going to become harder to reach a green in two shots, or get on the green from 180 yards.  But the difficulty will be for everyone, some more, some less depending upon proficiency. 

You can make the game less difficult for yourself by playing from shorter tees.  But comparing your efforts to those of your peers is more rational.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

21 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

When discussing "playing the tips" everyone should try and quantify that a bit.  Playing the tips at par 72 6500 yards isn't the same as playing the tips par 72 7200 yards. Likewise playing par 70 6900 yard tips at sea level is stout whereas playing par 72 7500 yards tips at 5000 feet not so much.

For what it's worth, I see groups going off the tips, at the local muni I now play, reasonably often.  Usually some of the college kids or other younger, better players.  Occasionally see folks back there that have no business playing them, but... . Tips here are 6783 yards par 72. Similar at most courses in the area (6700 yards to 6900 yards). We are more or less at sea level.

Playing a 6700yd difficult rated course from tips in many respects is just as difficult, if not more so, as a much longer 7200yd course where distance is the predominate factor in its rating.  

I see something similar here at sea-level in SOCA at one of my favorite courses.  It's only 6700+ yards but par 71, 72.4/135 and very penal to wayward shots.  I usually play the combo tees at 6400+ but have played the tips with idiots that shouldn't even be on the blue tees.  Last time, two guys must have lost a dozen balls and if they counted, were over 100 ea.  I had to tell them more than once, drop a ball, you can't keep looking for lost balls.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

25 minutes ago, jvincent said:

So, in the end, it will be almost certainly a decision to increase the aerodynamic drag.

Think you nailed or at least hope you did. Increase in drag would be the correct adjustment because it elevates the element of wind back to what it once was in balata days and yet recreational balls can still be sold and used for masses.

10 minutes ago, Greenie said:

Could you explain to me why bifurcation is bad for golf?

You have another poster commenting an amateur may not lose any distance. I can't see how that is going to be true. If it is true isn't that bifurcation. The pros hitting a ball that doesn't go as far and an amateur playing a ball that goes the same distance as before.

Because what drives sales? It’s the playing the same equipment as the pros play including the ball for one. It’s also the allure that we get to play the same

game the same way the pros play. If bifiucation was good the pro tours would have done it long ago. Even the D&A stayed in their latest release that bifurcation isn’t a good option and it’s better to reduce the ball for everyone.

That poster has no data to backup that an amateur won’t lose any distance and that’s been pointed out everytime that poster says it. We now have reports from Michael Breed and at least one oem that everyone will lose distance, which refutes the claim an amateur won’t lose distance.

14 minutes ago, Greenie said:

I personally hit the Supersoft 10 yds farther than a ProV. Do you want me to believe that the ProV is going to be rolled back 15 yds? while I can play my rolled back Supersoft and maintain my same distance as before

There isn’t a current ball that will competing with the proposed rollback and it was reported that the old titlest ball won’t pass the new requirements so there will have to be new balls made. The chances that there will be a set of “tour” level balls and the rest like

the supersoft once the new rolback takes effect and we will only have whatever the “tour” level ball is.

As we know from the previous ball studies some golfers have better results with a slower ball than a tour level, but yes the new prov will be rollbacked whatever distance it is under the design. We see from initial prototype testing that the rollback is larger than 15 yards with the Srixon testing and Keegan losing 30-40 yards

19 minutes ago, Greenie said:

Look at how many people play the ProV because the pros do when there might be a better ball for them at a cheaper price. It's kind of hard to sell a bifurcated ball to the average Joe. The ProV the longest rolled back ball on tour but not as long as an amateur ball. The only thing that makes sense is to roll back every ball so that the big boys can still make their money. Follow the money.

The ball tests show that all speeds can use the prov1 iirc. There won’t be any other balls, it makes no sense to make a short ball under the regulations being proposed then another ball that’s softer and slower than that like we have today.

The bolder part is what’s going to happen and the follow the money is not from the oems(they don’t want change nor does the pro tours nor does the oga of America) it’s the guys with the money that want to build courses to be used on the pro tours 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dpavs said:

For my part, I think the time to merely complain (if someone really feels the need to) about the change most certainly should be after the change occurs so it can be better understood. (if it actually happens)

That said, while I understand that there is a fine line between griping and expressing concerns,  the time to express player concerns about the upcoming change is before it happens. To do so after the fact is pointless.

I really don't think waiting until the new rule goes into place is the time to make an issue of this. There will be no coming back at that point. As stated to the heavens and back, the RBs are not in the least a proactive body, and there is no way they will give any kind of fair & balanced assessment once the horse is out of the barn and the game is visibly changed by the rollback.

Not that it seems to matter overall, as the negative feedback they've already received has been ignored. They clearly intend to do whatever they want regardless of what the Tours or the majority of golfers & viewers say. 

15 minutes ago, gvogel said:

How do you know how hard the GAME should BE?  Don't we all determine how difficult something is by comparing our results to the results of others?

So, it is going to become harder to reach a green in two shots, or get on the green from 180 yards.  But the difficulty will be for everyone, some more, some less depending upon proficiency. 

You can make the game less difficult for yourself by playing from shorter tees.  But comparing your efforts to those of your peers is more rational.

And what do the golfers who already play the forward tees do? How do they shorten the course and still play by the rules.

and you have some concerns about the distance issue and the game

being harder as you have flipped from it won’t affect the slow swingers to we need to press the greens keeper to keep the tees at the front of the tee box to we shall see what the impact is

Edited by GoGoErky

3 minutes ago, gvogel said:

Wut...

John Travolta Meme GIF - John Travolta Meme Looking Around - Discover &  Share GIFs

I am saying, that I can see losing 10-15 yards being less of an issue for someone who isn't hitting the green very often as it currently stands.  Did I say ANYTHING about how hard the game is supposed to be for them?  I am confused how you got to where you're at in this post based on what I said. 

I am not on the USGA board, I have not been bestowed the almighty decision making powers to say how the game should be for everyone.  Just been playing the game as it currently is for 20+ years. Are you telling me that it's easier to hit the green from 180 yards than 20 or 40?  Lol.  I am so confused by this post. Am I playing against this person now in your response or something?  Or, I am moving up tees now because I want to compare my game to theirs?  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

38 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Yup. Another example - Aluminum bats in college vs wood only for the pros. 

But essentially nobody plays baseball beyond childhood.  Lots of people golf.  And of course,  non golfers ( just like non baseball players) have not a care in the world what ball, club, or bat anyone is using.  It's only the opinions of interested parties (participants) that matter.

And it was a cost saving move as far as I can tell.  Pros didn't switch to wood to make it harder, they always used them.  So did college until was getting too expensive to keep replacing them.  And you can use wood, some players do apparently, I learned.

In tennis on the other hand,  tennis is tennis, right? Like golf,  it's a participation sport and there is an interest in a uniform set of rules.

Same with running,  swimming,  you line up and in running you can even directly compete against professionals.  For whatever reason,  people,  me included, value the uniformity.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gvogel said:

The Old Course was not designed.  It evolved.  There are some good books on how it played in Allan Robertson's time, and then how it was enlarged and altered under Old Tom Morris.  And how it was once a 22 hole course, and then ultimately became an 18 hole course.

Is it not also evolution then for Augusta and other courses to lengthen the courses under their own volition at various points throughout their own histories? Augusta lengthened significantly between it's original design and the 1970's. That evolution is ok, but later evolution is bad? Just seems like you're drawing a completely arbitrary line in the sand. 

• Like 4

The solution should be to further limit the COR for pro events. Keep everything else the same. If you want to play in a pro event, play the pro driver (which you'll get for free anyway).

If someone wants to play the pro driver as an am, let them, who cares. 

Edited by RCGA
  • Like 4

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

13 minutes ago, RCGA said:

The solution should be to further limit the COR for pro events. Keep everything else the same. If you want to play in a pro event, play the pro driver (which you'll get for free anyway).

If someone wants to play the pro driver as an am, let them, who cares. 

Well the ruling bodies don’t want bifurcation if equipment per Mr slumbers so that type of solution is off the table.

13 minutes ago, golferdude54 said:

317 / 120 = 2.641666…

317 / 125 = 2.536

2.536 / 2.641666… = 0.96 x 100 = 96%

So 4% distance loss meaning 200 yards with today’s ball will go 192 yards after 2028.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

2 hours ago, clevited said:

Honestly, that podcast really summed up many of the positions myself and others have posted time and time again.  The points they brought up alone absolutely blitz the ruling bodies.  They just made it extremely apparent how out of touch, narrow minded, and irrational the ruling bodies are.  They also showed how much of this is driven by ego and that all other talking points like sustainability are absolute lies.

It should have summed up your position, they start from the same base that you do - nothing is wrong with the current game.  Of course they are highly invested from the current game, since that is their livelihood.

And they make the same basic assumption that you do: after the change, golfers will figure out a way to swing faster in order to maintain the same distance.  But no one can say that for certain.  Maybe a few players are leaving enough in the tank that they can throttle up and overcome the new ball limitation.  But that is a hypothesis, not a fact.  I suspect that very few players will be able to increase their swing speed accordingly.  But Sasho has to maintain that because he is in the business of trying to maximize golfer's swing speeds.  Let's have this discussion in 2029.

• Like 2

I’ve asked this a couple times as im genuinely curious and it appears we have some physicist and golf ball engineers in this thread.

Reduction in flight isn’t always linear.  My example is reduced flight range balls (that already exist and most of us have hit). They achieve the reduced flight be aerodynamics, ball weight, and compression.   The yardage distance loss across the bag is not linear (woods loss more distance than wedges) and high swing speed/ball speed players lose a greater percentage of distance than the slower swing speed/ball speed players.  Why can’t/wont  ball manufacturers do something similar with this new ball?

7 minutes ago, gvogel said:

It should have summed up your position, they start from the same base that you do - nothing is wrong with the current game.  Of course they are highly invested from the current game, since that is their livelihood.

And they make the same basic assumption that you do: after the change, golfers will figure out a way to swing faster in order to maintain the same distance.  But no one can say that for certain.  Maybe a few players are leaving enough in the tank that they can throttle up and overcome the new ball limitation.  But that is a hypothesis, not a fact.  I suspect that very few players will be able to increase their swing speed accordingly.  But Sasho has to maintain that because he is in the business of trying to maximize golfer's swing speeds.  Let's have this discussion in 2029.

Sasho's judgement I trust far more than yours.  He has data to back it up and at the end, if you listened. he proclaims he is completely against a roll back even though he would absolutely benefit monetarily from a roll back.  People like you were mentioned in that discussion.  People that try to discredit opinions because of financial bias.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Swing hard in case you hit it!

4 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I’ve asked this a couple times as im genuinely curious and it appears we have some physicist and golf ball engineers in this thread.

Reduction in flight isn’t always linear.  My example is reduced flight range balls (that already exist and most of us have hit). They achieve the reduced flight be aerodynamics, ball weight, and compression.   The yardage distance loss across the bag is not linear (woods loss more distance than wedges) and high swing speed/ball speed players lose a greater percentage of distance than the slower swing speed/ball speed players.  Why can’t/wont  ball manufacturers do something similar with this new ball?

This has already been answered.  It would be incredibly unfair to punish disproportionately the long players.  You want to see some rage, watch what happens if the USGA does exactly that.

• Like 1

Swing hard in case you hit it!