Driver depreciation seems crazy.

lefthack

On a whim I bought a TaylorMade Sim 2 from Global Golf for $150 and that seemed like a crazy cheap price. But now I'm seeing Stealth HD's selling for $150 and they are barely a year old. 

Am I crazy? Wasn't the Stealth HD $600 just last year? Or did I miss a memo or something? I'm not complaining, I'm hoping to score a head for $80 🤣 But I would be kinda pissed if I dropped over $500 for new when like new is $150.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

3 hours ago, lefthack said:

On a whim I bought a TaylorMade Sim 2 from Global Golf for $150 and that seemed like a crazy cheap price. But now I'm seeing Stealth HD's selling for $150 and they are barely a year old. 

Am I crazy? Wasn't the Stealth HD $600 just last year? Or did I miss a memo or something? I'm not complaining, I'm hoping to score a head for $80 🤣 But I would be kinda pissed if I dropped over $500 for new when like new is $150.

Where do you see Stealth HD's selling for $150? You mean Head only or with shaft? I don't see any selling for under $200, even used on eBay.

But yeah, there's just an over saturation of clubs on the market. Especially drivers. It's great for those of us who don't mind buying lightly used/1-2 year old stuff. 

Edited by straightshot7

4 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

Where do you see Stealth HD's selling for $150? You mean Head only or with shaft? I don't see any selling for under $200, even used on eBay.

But yeah, there's just an over saturation of clubs on the market. Especially drivers. It's great for those of us who don't mind buying lightly used/1-2 year old stuff. 

Maybe for once the lefties are cheaper. I just started looking and was surprised to see the sub $200 price. 

If I can score a head for $100, I would love to try it. My Haywood woods get here next month, but I have the perfect shaft for a TaylorMade. 🤣

• Haha 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

21 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

Per TM. Does not motivate me to upgrade -

95EC6493-4A6B-4F35-90E9-E8630F7AC561.png.e56cf2a5f547f909525ed72aa1921a86.png

Yeah, I checked Global Golf before I bid. It sold for $125, too rich for my blood.🤣 

There have been more than a couple for less than $100, so I'll keep looking because I have issues.

Screenshot_20230318-194925.png

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

48 minutes ago, Jeri6gt said:

Anyone else notice shaft resale is pretty bad too?

Unless you are trying to resale a Ventus that is.

Always kinda been like this - besides the covid free money years. $300 upcharge shafts are generally always around ~$150 on ebay.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

1 minute ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Always kinda been like this - besides the covid free money years. $300 upcharge shafts are generally always around ~$150 on ebay.

50% I totally get, but to go from $600 to $200 just wasn't what I expected. Granted, my new driver is the most I've spent on a driver by 200%, but it feels worth it and I doubt it will have a ton of resell value, but that's not why I bought it. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

17 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

It is definitely difficult for some that pay 300-350 to let go of said item for 150 after barely using it.

EDIT:  Now only if I can get a Ventus for 1/2 off.  😅

Edited by Jeri6gt
  • Like 1

TSR1 10 B1 Diamana ZF 60 R

TSI1 18 C3 Tensei Blue 65 R

TSI1 20 A4 HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0

2021 T200 4-6 PXi 5.0

AP2 714 7-PW Flighted PX 5.5

SM9 50/54/58 PX 6.0

Scotty CC Newport+ 

26 minutes ago, JAM01 said:

Wonder if the Covid craze is winding down and stuff from 2020 to 2022 is now ending up for sale? 

That very well could be, that's what's happening in the bike industry. Everything was backordered, a ton of stuff came in and folks quit buying. Now everything is on sale, especially last year's stuff.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

On 3/19/2023 at 9:53 AM, stealthrt91 said:

Yea not going to lie, I haven't bought much off WRX in probably the last 2-3 years because so many second hand websites sell for cheaper and if you get lucky can use a discount code.  

I disagree with this statement, at least in my experience. What sites are you using? Most of the prices (and quality of product) from WRX are much better than the second hand places I see. WRX sellers usually are negotiable as well. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Willrobs1 said:

I disagree with this statement, at least in my experience. What sites are you using? Most of the prices (and quality of product) from WRX are much better than the second hand places I see. WRX sellers usually are negotiable as well. 

I'd say my used golf clubs the last 2-3 years are 75% eBay and 20% 2nd Swing/Mike's Golf Outlet (in person) and 5% WRX.  2nd Swing is usually above WRX but the random promo codes make it on par if not cheaper sometimes - their 'exotic' club prices make zero sense (e.g. black models or Ti models) but I've snagged a handful of clubs where the shaft alone was worth more than the price paid.  Mike's Outlet in Hartford will work with most anyone in person on pricing, both on trade and purchase to get you competitive with WRX.  And eBay is what it is... you put in the work and/or get lucky and you'll beat standard WRX pricing. 

I agree with your comments though regarding quality and negotiable.  Most all ads are much more detailed than the places I mentioned above.  I got a steal on set of AP3s from 2nd Swing and went on a limb because it didn't show any pics of the faces.  Sure enough, set showed up completely unclean and caked in dirt/grass but 10 mins with some soapy water and they were immaculate.  I recently asked someone if they do 15% off because it was missing something and they just ignored me (assuming I deeply offended the person?), sure enough the item is still up unsold and with no traction... definitely have your random stubborns on here that make me appreciate the other sites.  

Edited by stealthrt91
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, stealthrt91 said:

I'd say my used golf clubs the last 2-3 years are 75% eBay and 20% 2nd Swing/Mike's Golf Outlet (in person) and 5% WRX.  2nd Swing is usually above WRX but the random promo codes make it on par if not cheaper sometimes - their 'exotic' club prices make zero sense (e.g. black models or Ti models) but I've snagged a handful of clubs where the shaft alone was worth more than the price paid.  Mike's Outlet in Hartford will work with most anyone in person on pricing, both on trade and purchase to get you competitive with WRX.  And eBay is what it is... you put in the work and/or get lucky and you'll beat standard WRX pricing. 

I agree with your comments though regarding quality and negotiable.  Most all ads are much more detailed than the places I mentioned above.  I got a steal on set of AP3s from 2nd Swing and went on a limb because it didn't show any pics of the faces.  Sure enough, set showed up completely unclean and caked in dirt/grass but 10 mins with some soapy water and they were immaculate.  I recently asked someone if they do 15% off because it was missing something and they just ignored me (assuming I deeply offended the person?), sure enough the item is still up unsold and with no traction... definitely have your random stubborns on here that make me appreciate the other sites.  

Nice! I agree with alot of what you said there. Mostly, when people get on here and try to sell 2nd hand clubs for near face value 🤦🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, Willrobs1 said:

Nice! I agree with alot of what you said there. Mostly, when people get on here and try to sell 2nd hand clubs for near face value 🤦🏼‍♂️

I tell you man... I'm pushing 40 years old and getting a deal on eBay makes me feel like a damn kid stealing from a candy store sometimes haha!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2023 at 9:27 PM, stealthrt91 said:

I’m revisiting this post because I have been proven wrong. You are right, golf WRX prices are for the most part trash and not different than anything else - I.e. eBay, 2nd swing etc 

3 hours ago, Willrobs1 said:

I’m revisiting this post because I have been proven wrong. You are right, golf WRX prices are for the most part trash and not different than anything else - I.e. eBay, 2nd swing etc 

Lol in the last month I've bought three items on ebay in nicer condition for cheaper than listed on here.  I've also listed a set of clubs that got ridiculously low balled on here and when I posted them to eBay sold for way beyond my original WRX asking price on here.  It's hit or miss man. I stand by my thought that I love WRX but in the last 10 years, as I've gotten older and WRX turned into what it is today, I'd rather not deal with the human factor and just go through 2nd hand retail... On both sides of the transaction.

Edited by stealthrt91
  • Like 2

When I sell on WRX I typically price about 20% above “Trade Value” to cover shipping & such  If not sold in 24-36 hours, I take trade value and pull the listing.  In the past items would sell pretty quickly at this pricing level.  My last two listings did not sell within 36 hours, so I traded them in.   Anecdotally,  this tells me the marketplace is softening and trade values are pretty decent relative to market conditions.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 9:47 PM, Willrobs1 said:

I’m in the boat that I’ve shifted away from buying here as well. I’d guess 8 of my last 10 purchases were CPO, 2 were here. If watching CPO and catch the deals right, I can buy without any hassle. Also know I have the safety of their return policy as well as trade ins. Mainly just easier. 

11 hours ago, philsRHman said:

I’m in the boat that I’ve shifted away from buying here as well. I’d guess 8 of my last 10 purchases were CPO, 2 were here. If watching CPO and catch the deals right, I can buy without any hassle. Also know I have the safety of their return policy as well as trade ins. Mainly just easier. 

What is CPO?

2 minutes ago, Willrobs1 said:

What is CPO?

Callaway Pre Owned?

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

1 hour ago, philsRHman said:

Yes

I've only bought one thing from there and it was an M3 3 wood that was listed as "fair" condition and it was mint. I swear that club had never been hit before me. It was a crazy good price, too.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW