Titleist or bridgestone

scottb15

Debating on Titleist prov1 or the Bridgestone tour b xs. I love the Titleist performance but the feel has be iffy. The Bridgestone I feel more confident around the greens with and I like the feel off the putter but the drawback is center and mishits feel similar I like getting feedback.  Both have plus and minus just wondering if anyone else had had this issue? My biggest thing is do I have the feedback or the feel.

B XS feels a lot softer than the ProV1 and spins more for me.  If you need the extra spin, the B XS would be the obvious choice plus you get the added benefit of softer feel.  If you want a tweener that still feels soft, I suggest testing the Z-Star diamond. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I played both of these balls exclusively last season but gravitated towards the BXS because of the marginal edge in green-side spin. The Pro V1 flew a little lower (by design) which was advantageous on windy days. FWIW, the new Pro V1 feels a little softer than its predecessor. I'd play either ball without reservation.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Off the putter the bxs had ruined me. Made a pro v feel like a clicky distance ball 

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 3/22/2023 at 11:34 PM, Phabs said:

Off the putter the bxs had ruined me. Made a pro v feel like a clicky distance ball 

This was me until this year, I went with the deal on the buy 3 get 4 to make sure I stick to a ball this year and have only letting myself putt indoors with the new prov1. It's not the same feel, but its much closer than the prior model was and the prov1 fits my game better all around so its a good decision. I just need to get the couple stray bxs out of the practice bucket so I'm not tempted lol.

I played Bridgestone balls for several years (BX, BXS, RXS) and loved the performance. Last year, I has some weird results with several well struck shots, and began to wonder about the Bridgestone ball. Then MGS issued a low rating for Bridgestone balls due to manufacturing inconsistencies. Hmmm...then I noticed two of my BXS had logos that were printed out of position. Once I started noticing this stuff, I couldn't feel confident playing B-stone.

I don't play Pro Vs, but if the choice was between B-Stone and Pro Vs, I'd play Pro Vs every time. YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, seanjk123 said:

Ironically, the bxs spun too much for me on short game shots. I found myself leaving everything too short because of all the grip.

You might be the only person on the planet to  feel a ball spins too much for them around the greens. There isn’t such a thing as too much greenside spin.  If that ball works for you in all the other major areas but has TOO MUCH greenside spin, you play that ball forever and simply adjust loft and/or how hard you hit your chip and pitch shots. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

1 hour ago, Rosco1216 said:

You might be the only person on the planet to  feel a ball spins too much for them around the greens. There isn’t such a thing as too much greenside spin.  If that ball works for you in all the other major areas but has TOO MUCH greenside spin, you play that ball forever and simply adjust loft and/or how hard you hit your chip and pitch shots. 

Yea, sounds crazy, but I found it harder to anticipate how the wind was going to affect it. I found my Zx was more consistent chip after chip, while the bxs had way more variation between strikes. Now a better player than me may have been able to use to their advantage….. but I’m already a high spin player and almost nobody on tour uses a super spinny ball like the bxs (can’t name Anyone other than the cat)…

12 hours ago, Rosco1216 said:

Have you ever played a round with a Kirkland? Holy crap… talk about too much spin….

20 hours ago, seanjk123 said:

Yea, sounds crazy, but I found it harder to anticipate how the wind was going to affect it. I found my Zx was more consistent chip after chip, while the bxs had way more variation between strikes. Now a better player than me may have been able to use to their advantage….. but I’m already a high spin player and almost nobody on tour uses a super spinny ball like the bxs (can’t name Anyone other than the cat)…

Nobody on tour uses a super spiny ball because it spins too much either off the tee or approach shots. But strictly around the green, say within 30 yards, they want as much spin as possible. 

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I love the BXS, it's been my ball of choice for a few years now. My only beef with it is how it's super sensitive to headwinds. It just rises up against it, and drops down dead. On a hole I normally play a 9 iron, I've been able to hit a 5 iron and held the green in sufficient headwind.

Granted I could probably hit a knock-down shot and get away with a ~7 iron.. but I'm not super confident with partial shots, or being able to hold the green with those.

• Like 1
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2023 at 4:54 AM, Rocky Ball-boa said:

I love the BXS, it's been my ball of choice for a few years now. My only beef with it is how it's super sensitive to headwinds. It just rises up against it, and drops down dead. On a hole I normally play a 9 iron, I've been able to hit a 5 iron and held the green in sufficient headwind.

Granted I could probably hit a knock-down shot and get away with a ~7 iron.. but I'm not super confident with partial shots, or being able to hold the green with those.

I feel the same, Normal Days always play the XS.  Windy days I will play a TP5x 2019.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

Went head to head Tour B XS and Pro V1 again as I do every model release. Lots of improvement in the most recent Pro V1 making it a contender again.  Until the latest Titleist release, they had too much driver spin.  But I'm sticking with the Tour B XS. These are the best combo of long off the tee and spin around the greens. 

• Like 1

[color=#0000ff]Titleist TSR3 8*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 15*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Srixon ZX Utility 23[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone 221CB 6-PW[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Miura 50, 54, 58C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]

• 8 months later...

I have used the Bridgestone balls since I began golfing 6 yrs ago, started with the E6, E12 and then the Tour B XS. I have dropped below 105 MPH in swing speed so I now use the Tour B RXS, swing speed now 104 MPH. I love these balls, the feel specifically off the tee. I have tried the Pro V1 and the Pro V1x, both feel like hitting a rock off the driver vs the Bridgestone. I am concerned about the poor evaluation reports that MGS data reports regarding the Bridgestone. I do not remember ever finding a defective ball. 

I just received a sleeve of the new Pro V1 balls which I will again try a round with to see if the feel has changed. According to the ball rep, the new ball is supposed to have a softer feel.

Current handicap 7

Ping G410 driver

Ping I500 Irons

Vokey SM9 54 and 58

SC putter

• Like 2

Stupid question time as I don’t know enough about Bridgestone. Is the bxs the match to the pro v1 or is it the bx? The pro v1 was meant to be the lower launching and spinning ball so I’d have assumed the bx was the match, interesting to see people here using the bxs.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Just now, philly2kuk said:

Stupid question time as I don’t know enough about Bridgestone. Is the bxs the match to the pro v1 or is it the bx? The pro v1 was meant to be the lower launching and spinning ball so I’d have assumed the bx was the match, interesting to see people here using the bxs.

Last two generations of ProV1 play more like the B X, IMO.  Slightly lower launch and lower spin compared to their counterparts.

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

8 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I agree with you but I was told on another forum

ProV1 softer less spin

ProV1X soft more spin

BXS softer more spin

BX soft less spin

So they really don’t go head to head with each other per se but they are all different in their own way. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WilliamTucker said:

I have used the Bridgestone balls since I began golfing 6 yrs ago, started with the E6, E12 and then the Tour B XS. I have dropped below 105 MPH in swing speed so I now use the Tour B RXS, swing speed now 104 MPH. I love these balls, the feel specifically off the tee. I have tried the Pro V1 and the Pro V1x, both feel like hitting a rock off the driver vs the Bridgestone. I am concerned about the poor evaluation reports that MGS data reports regarding the Bridgestone. I do not remember ever finding a defective ball. 

I just received a sleeve of the new Pro V1 balls which I will again try a round with to see if the feel has changed. According to the ball rep, the new ball is supposed to have a softer feel.

Current handicap 7

Ping G410 driver

Ping I500 Irons

Vokey SM9 54 and 58

SC putter

Great first post and welcome to WRX. 🍻

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

On 2/15/2024 at 7:32 AM, Highlander 24 said:

ProV1 softer less spin

They have very similar spin profiles, so yes, thats the best comp.  Pro V will fly a little lower and be a little softer.  BX has always had a "click" to go with a relative softness.

On 2/15/2024 at 7:32 AM, Highlander 24 said:

BX soft less spin

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

On 2/15/2024 at 5:32 AM, Highlander 24 said:

I agree with you but I was told on another forum

ProV1 softer less spin

ProV1X soft more spin

BXS softer more spin

BX soft less spin

So they really don’t go head to head with each other per se but they are all different in their own way. 

I think the BX aerodynamics are a little straighter than ProV1. According to Ping, the BX has the best flier prevention when it is wet as well… so if you play in the dewey mornings or in the rain, it’s something to consider. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar