2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Shotscope X5

25 minutes ago, dodgyman said:

I've just completed 2 rounds with the X5. It will be great, but agreed lot's of things need tweaking. I updated the firmware, the new swipe to unlock is actually pretty sweet, I hated the initial lock but now it's great.

What version is the latest firmware? I can’t find this info anywhere. My watch is running 2.0.82. I don’t get options to update firmware so I assume this is the latest. 

I was just going through the setting on my X5 and I noticed under the Lock settings, there is an option for Clock Lock and for Golf Lock. I don’t remember seeing both these options before. 

3AD0E2AE-6BB5-446F-9715-A72365A9BC46.jpeg.b4f2ac590030d3a689d2e31c5511b566.jpeg

hopefully disabling both will completely turn off the Lock feature. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sp4RX said:

What version is the latest firmware? I can’t find this info anywhere. My watch is running 2.0.82. I don’t get options to update firmware so I assume this is the latest. 

I was just going through the setting on my X5 and I noticed under the Lock settings, there is an option for Clock Lock and for Golf Lock. I don’t remember seeing both these options before. 

3AD0E2AE-6BB5-446F-9715-A72365A9BC46.jpeg.b4f2ac590030d3a689d2e31c5511b566.jpeg

hopefully disabling both will completely turn off the Lock feature. 

I'm running 2.0.82, they sent me an email about it.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2

On 4/16/2023 at 9:07 PM, chris1967 said:

Well, first hole of the second round, and complete system failure. Tag tracking stopped altogether, the "multifunction crown" stopped working, touchscreen got really slow to register swipes or taps, and when I went to shut the unit down at the end of the round, I couldn't -- it gave me 30 seconds or so of uninterrupted "haptic feedback" buzz, then defaulted to the previous menu. I'm waiting for the battery to die to see if that will effectively hard reset the thing, but I'm not optimistic.

On the bright side, I downloaded my round to the app and it said I shot a 55 with several drives of more than 400 yards. So I've got that going for me ... which is nice.

Pretty clear this "upgrade" was released WAY too early. Now waiting for a response from Shot Scope customer service. They've been helpful, if slow, in the past.

Had the exact same issue, it did reset eventually. Upgraded to the latest firmware, hoping for the best that the issue is resolved.

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2023 at 8:05 AM, Retrop1 said:

Follow up. I have received mine and I have had some trouble with it working properly. When it is working, LOVE IT. However I have not had a full round where the watched worked the whole time. Shot Scope customer service has been great to work with and they are trying to update firmware to get bugs out. I will update when I can get back out to see if it resolved the problem. 

Ok, so I wanted to circle back and update on mine. I have had to update firmware 4 or 5 times, but the watch is finally working like it is supposed to and I am happy enough not to return. I have to give a huge shout out to their support team that helped me through the whole ordeal. 

The only issue I am still having that I would like to see resolved is the editing of the round in the app is not good. I can easily edit on my computer so I am not too worried about that. It is fine for rounds at or near home, but if I am on a trip somewhere and don't have my laptop it would be difficult to get the data set accurate.  The support team is aware of this issue and it was inferred that they are working on this too. 

• Like 3

3.9 HCP and falling (hopefully)

PIng G430 10.5 AltaCB 55 stiff, flat setting

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, Tensei Blue 65 stiff, C1 setting

Titleist TSR3 21*, HZRDUS Black 6.0, D1 setting

Titleist TSR3 24* HZRDUS Black 6.0, C1 setting

Titleist T150 5-9, PX LZ 6.0

Vokey 46F, 50F, 54D, 58T
TM Spider Tour for now.......

Ball ProV1x

On 4/16/2023 at 7:38 PM, Sp4RX said:

I played my first round with X5 today. I have been using V3 for more than a year. After my first round with X5, I am tempted to go back to V3. 

The twiddle knob, on the side of the watch, seems backwards. Every time I tried scrolling the menus, I had to turn the knob opposite of what was intuitive for me. Maybe that’s just me, idk. I’m sure I will get used to it over time but it was really annoying for my first day out with it. 

The locked screen is super annoying. I always kept my V3 completely unlocked during a round. I set the X5 to also be left unlocked but it’s not. When I wanted to go into the round menu, I had to unlock it. To unlock you have to swipe up until the lock icon turns green but you must be very precise with it. It took me a good 3 minutes to unlock it the first time. The times after were only slightly easier. There needs to be a way to completely turn off the lock feature. 

To use Move Pin feature you have to scroll through about 4 pages of menus. Then you can select that you want to move pin, then finally you can move the pin. I don’t think I will use this feature, ever, because it’s buried too deep in the menus and it’s too time consuming. I initially thought this was a way to tell the app where the pin is for post-round edit but it seems the app still determines pin location the same as V3, with the Pin Collect. The Move Pin feature seems only for the middle GPS distance that you would use for approach shots. 

The course I played today is a 27 hole course. The X5 handled this course the same as the V3 did. Once you select Play Golf, it asked me which 9 I was playing first, then tracked me for that nine, then it asked if I was playing another 9 and which 9 I was playing for the back. After the back 9, I was given the option to End Round, which I did. When I synced the X5 to the app, only the first 9 showed. It completely lost the back 9. 

It seemed to track most of my shots but I did not do my normal editing because I relied on the watch to track my score and I entered a few putts wrong. I tried using Auto Putt but I am used to Manual Putt on the V3. With that and the back 9 not being tracked, I just deleted the round. 

I am going to give the X5 another try. I think I was trying to use all the new features in X5 which made for a frustrating round. I am just going to try using it the same way I used my V3 and see how it goes.  

The biggest things are the scroll direction of the knob and the Lock feature. Super annoying!

I played 9 holes today with the X5. I just used the watch the same as I would with the V3 and it was a pretty good experience. 

Before I played the round today I got an email about updating the firmware to 2.0.84. The email said the update improves battery life and other bugs. I updated before playing. 

After the update I made sure to set the ‘Clock Face Lock’ and ‘Golf Lock’ to DISABLED. I am very happy to report that the the watch stayed unlocked the entire round! I never had to mess with the lock feature, which was one of my biggest gripes. 

I edited my round and it tracked almost all my shots. It really only missed two shots. One shot I was directly behind a tree and chipped out less than 10 yards and it missed my approach shot, the other was a green side bunker with a 15 yard carry where I came up short and had another bunker shot, it didn’t track the second bunker shot. It did add an extra shot when I was just off the fringe and I was debating between wedge and putter and taking feel swings with each. I elected to putt but the watch tracked a shot for the wedge and putter from that spot but I only used putter. 

Overall I would say the shot tracking was not much different than I would get from the V3 but they say that the X5 has AI learning so if this is the starting point, then I am happy with this. 

At this point I’m feeling the X5 is at least equal to the V3, as far as function. Once I get more comfortable with the menus and options I’m sure it will put the V3 to shame. After this update I am much happier with X5!

8 hours ago, Ex Blade User said:

Anyone have issues with the dashboard crashing when editing a round? It’s happened like 8 times in a row trying to edit a couple rounds. It’s frustrating because everything is lost. Never happened before today 

Yes, when editing in the app. After every hole when saved

My X5 has been a bit of a disaster (Firmware version: 2.0.84)

• It's got white flashing lines which run across the screen - clearly a software fault as it only appears on certain screens
  • Connectivity to mobile via bluetooth is poor - 50% success rate (was much worse before Firmware version: 2.0.82).. appreciate it could be a problem on the mobile side, but handset only 1 year old and connected to 6 other BT devices with no issues
  • Loading GPS pre-round can take anything upto 10 mins (average 2-3 mins) - my previous GolfPad tags/app took 5-10 seconds
  • No response from suport desk despite multiple emails and I read you have to pay return costs yourself
  • Battery life

Cannot recommend

After two flawless wounds with the X5 (as far as shot detection), the experience today with the latest firmware (.84) was frustrating. It reverted to the watch face on the 5th hole. I was quickly able to start a new round from that point, but now the round was split in two. Several driver shots were missed (not all), and several shots with different irons were also missed. I still find the watch slow to respond to swipes, if at all, on the course. Much more responsive when not in golf mode.

11 hours ago, Emmitsburg said:

How are you attaching the putter tag? I cannot screw it into the grip due to the putter grip.

You must have a back-weighted putter. In that case, cut the threads off the tag and glue it to the top of the putter. I personally have used "glue dots", then cross-crossed with electrical tape.

After 2 full rounds and 2 9 hole rounds, I am starting to really like the X5, but it does take some getting used to and the firmware updates. I still cannot edit rounds in the app at all, but on the PC it is fine and pretty simple. I think this is a good tool but it does take time and effort to be able to utilize it to the full potential. 

• Like 1

Vokey 46F, 50F, 54D, 58T

Ball ProV1x

32 minutes ago, bs840 said:

After updating to the .84 firmware, my X5 can’t get past the loading GPS screen. Submitted a support request two days ago - no response yet. I did try a hard reset and didn’t help. Anyone else have this issue?

Did you check for any course updates? 

I love my V3 and really have no desire to change which is odd for me. The V3 does everything I want it to do.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

First round and the experience was poor. Missed 7 holes on the front 9, data for the 2 holes it collected was all over the place.

Back 9 was a little better but the screen defaulted to 2 putts on the pin collect screen. Nothing that can't be amended in the dashboard but very disappointing.

Watch using the latest software.

Anyone else?

On 4/17/2023 at 12:38 AM, Sp4RX said:

I played my first round with X5 today. I have been using V3 for more than a year. After my first round with X5, I am tempted to go back to V3. 

The twiddle knob, on the side of the watch, seems backwards. Every time I tried scrolling the menus, I had to turn the knob opposite of what was intuitive for me. Maybe that’s just me, idk. I’m sure I will get used to it over time but it was really annoying for my first day out with it. 

The locked screen is super annoying. I always kept my V3 completely unlocked during a round. I set the X5 to also be left unlocked but it’s not. When I wanted to go into the round menu, I had to unlock it. To unlock you have to swipe up until the lock icon turns green but you must be very precise with it. It took me a good 3 minutes to unlock it the first time. The times after were only slightly easier. There needs to be a way to completely turn off the lock feature. 

To use Move Pin feature you have to scroll through about 4 pages of menus. Then you can select that you want to move pin, then finally you can move the pin. I don’t think I will use this feature, ever, because it’s buried too deep in the menus and it’s too time consuming. I initially thought this was a way to tell the app where the pin is for post-round edit but it seems the app still determines pin location the same as V3, with the Pin Collect. The Move Pin feature seems only for the middle GPS distance that you would use for approach shots. 

The course I played today is a 27 hole course. The X5 handled this course the same as the V3 did. Once you select Play Golf, it asked me which 9 I was playing first, then tracked me for that nine, then it asked if I was playing another 9 and which 9 I was playing for the back. After the back 9, I was given the option to End Round, which I did. When I synced the X5 to the app, only the first 9 showed. It completely lost the back 9. 

It seemed to track most of my shots but I did not do my normal editing because I relied on the watch to track my score and I entered a few putts wrong. I tried using Auto Putt but I am used to Manual Putt on the V3. With that and the back 9 not being tracked, I just deleted the round. 

I am going to give the X5 another try. I think I was trying to use all the new features in X5 which made for a frustrating round. I am just going to try using it the same way I used my V3 and see how it goes.  

The biggest things are the scroll direction of the knob and the Lock feature. Super annoying!

Mine did that on the 9 holes turning into 18. Captured the front 9, completely missed all on the back 9. Frustrating.

4 hours ago, Teebs said:

the screen defaulted to 2 putts on the pin collect screen. Nothing that can't be amended in the dashboard but very disappointing.

There is a + and - sign you use to change the number of times you used the putter, then hit the check mark at the bottom of the screen to confirm your choice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phil75070 said:

There is a + and - sign you use to change the number of times you used the putter, then hit the check mark at the bottom of the screen to confirm your choice.

That worked on the front 9, not on the back 9. I think it defaulted to GPS only for the back 9 as it didn't record any shots - just gave yardages..

• Like 1

This is all starting to feel like a bad joke, to be honest. After the battery died, I was able to reset the watch, and it seemed to be working as intended -- recognizing tags when "read tags" was selected -- and the crown was working, as well. Went out to play this morning, though, and despite an hour of trying, it was never able to get a GPS signal. Back to customer support. 👎

I really want to like this gps watch but it's not off to a good start. My very first time using it today and the top button just fell off on the putting green while warming up. Fortunately I noticed it and was able to pick it up and not lose it. It looks to be held in place by two rubber o-rings on the post of the button, which doesn't seem like a very robust solution. I won't be surprised to see more reports of this button coming off when worn.

With the latest firmware (.84), it spontaneously quit tracking shots mid round and went into watch mode. Had to restart the tracking but that split the results into two partial rounds in the dashboard.

Edited by KBAZ
minor correction

Heard back from Customer Support after reporting on the latest glitch -- failure to acquire GPS signal after more than an hour of trying. They suggest waiting for the next firmware update, later this week or early next, which "has some GPS enhancements in it that will help get the GPS signal much quicker."

Seems pretty open-ended. For me, getting the signal "much quicker" would be just about anytime before my round is complete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've had some back and forth with their customer services to make some course amends. Pretty quick and concise responses to get some of our 9 holes made into combined 18 holes (we have 3 x 9 holes that they combine for comps).

No response yet on the Pin Collect screen that was defaulting to 2 putts per green, but pretty sure it's aligned to being only on GPS rather than GPS & Track.

On 4/18/2023 at 8:34 AM, Retrop1 said:

Ok, so I wanted to circle back and update on mine. I have had to update firmware 4 or 5 times, but the watch is finally working like it is supposed to and I am happy enough not to return. I have to give a huge shout out to their support team that helped me through the whole ordeal. 

The only issue I am still having that I would like to see resolved is the editing of the round in the app is not good. I can easily edit on my computer so I am not too worried about that. It is fine for rounds at or near home, but if I am on a trip somewhere and don't have my laptop it would be difficult to get the data set accurate.  The support team is aware of this issue and it was inferred that they are working on this too. 

I guess this is a double circle back? Anyway, 

I am thinking of retracting this statement as my X5 is currently not even picking up sattelite connection. The last 2 rounds it has “timed out” after looking for the connection for up to 10 minutes. I live on a totally different golf course and tried it in my yard as well and nothing. I have done the whole power down, power up drill. It is fully charged when trying, and the firmware is up to date. Shotscope support hopefully can give me a fix, but very frustrated with it.

It is a real shame because I think (when it works), the system is great. The online portal gives me an easy look at my stats how I want to see them, and I have gotten used to editing rounds pretty quickly.

Vokey 46F, 50F, 54D, 58T

Ball ProV1x

On 4/23/2023 at 12:57 PM, chris1967 said:

This is all starting to feel like a bad joke, to be honest. After the battery died, I was able to reset the watch, and it seemed to be working as intended -- recognizing tags when "read tags" was selected -- and the crown was working, as well. Went out to play this morning, though, and despite an hour of trying, it was never able to get a GPS signal. Back to customer support. 👎

With all the problems being relayed, you have to wonder what kind of QC was performed on this model?

First round with mine, coming from the previous gen.  I also had the laser before but sent that back as it was crap.  

Build quality issues;

Screen has a "hot spot".  Not in the way, but annoying and suggests poor QC.  (Top left of the S in Saturday in the photo).

Glue is peeling out between the case and bezel.

Issues in use;

The screen is very unresponsive when using pin collect and the score function.  Had to press the button 5 or 6 times to collect the pin or change/accept the score.  Frustrating when that's the bit you want to do quickly.  

Otherwise it picked up all shots without issue.  Although I'm in the habit of touching the tag to the strap due to issues I had with the old model.  

I think QC and build quality is definitely lacking with shot scope as a company.  Anything is better than Arccos though!

PXL_20230501_091950873.jpg

PXL_20230429_150157290.jpg

Edited by Jamie_Tee

Driver - SIM2 Max

5W / 4H / 5H - G410

3i - SIM

Irons - ZX5/ZX7 

Wedges - MD5

Bettinardi QB8/Stability Shaft/P2 grip

I've played a few rounds with the X5 now and actually am quite impressed.  I like the ease of use, does a decent job of shot tracking without me having to do much of anything. It has missed a few shots around the green, but I really don't care, it's good enough for analyzing your round in the app. Unless you're relying on the watch completely for keeping your score 100% accurate it's fine, I'll always write it down on the card anyways. 

Yardage numbers are matching up with my rangefinder so that's good. Having yardages clearly and quickly available to both hazards and doglegs is a great feature. The pin collect screen is easy and intuitive. No build quality issues.

I did have to restart the watch last time out before the round because it wasn't finding the GPS, but it found it quickly after the restart. Just upgraded to the latest .90 firmware so maybe that'll help that, first time out it found the GPS quickly the first time with no issues. 

After uploading the round at end, viewing all the data in the app is very cool! Texting a screenshot from a nice shot in your round to a buddy is easy and a nice touch.

All things considered,  I gotta say this watch does a lot of things very well without a lot of fuss, which has always been my gripe with golf watches, they get in the way and distract me from golf -this one stays out of the way.

So far I'm liking it a lot. My previous watch was the X3.

Edited by Dave2golf2
  • Like 1

I've tapped out and asked for a working replacement (which I'm not sure Shot Scope can provide) or a refund. We'll see what happens.

Today, after updating to firmware v. 2.0.9.0, I went out for a 9 hole league match. Very similar results to my second round -- the watch worked as intended for four holes, then stopped displaying the club selection, although the GPS kept displaying yardages. I was able to download the round data afterwards, and it was bizarre -- either skipping shots completely or recording clubs I never used.

For instance, on the last par 5, I played driver/3wd/PW, and it recorded driver/8i/3hybrid. WTF? The 8 iron and 3 hybrid never even came out of the bag.

The crown (again) stopped working, and (again) when I tried to power it off after the round, I couldn't -- I got the haptic "buzz" for 20 sec. or so, then it reverted to the menu -- so I guess I just have to wait for the battery to die before I can restart it.

I'm out of patience.