USGA Changes Qualifying Rules - Is the USGA Drunk?

dmecca2

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2023/03/modifications-made-to-qualifying-for-usga-amateur-events.html

USGA moving to 18 hole local and sectional qualifying instead of the current 36 hole qualifier. Also giving out exemptions into sectionals based off state events, usga events, and wagr rankings.

Edited by SheriffBooth
  • Like 1

Side question: Are the lower WAGR rankings ready for exemptions like this? I'm not sure how these rankings work for people not playing in high level events. For example, I played and finished decently in a WAGR event, but my name isnt listed on the WAGR site for that event, even though there are people listed that finished worse than me.

• Like 1

You forgot while expanding the number of players exempt from local qualifying.  Top 600 in WAGR don't need to local qualify.

There are more ways to be exempted deeper into the process but if you are not exempt you would need to get through two levels of 18 hole qualifying split between two sites as opposed to 36 at one site.

The good news is if you weren't good enough to be exempt and don't make it out of that first 18 hole qualifying you don't have to worry about the second day (or hotel rooms, practice rounds, etc.) and you can get yourself back to work sooner.

• Like 1

Just now, MattM97 said:

"How much extra will we make on fees? That much? Wow ok good job everyone" - USGA 

Yep, figured it was something like that. Withdrawing from the US open local qualifier later today. There are other things to waste my money on and the USGA isn't getting my donation (entry fee). That'll show 'em. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Amateur events are structured as preparation leading to possible mini, PGA Tour career.  The people following that road by now have hooked up with private sponsor(s) that fund cost of play and travel.  If they have a job, like a few of my + buddies, their jobs allow the time.  I've been around and played in regional qualifying events over the years.  They are not designed for general working stiffs with hopes that maybe some day...but dedicated players looking to build golf credentials and a career.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Just now, AmateurAmateur said:

Yep, figured it was something like that. Withdrawing from the US open local qualifier later today. There are other things to waste my money on and the USGA isn't getting my donation (entry fee). That'll show 'em. 

Don't worry this is every sport governing body, they talk about growing the game, improving play/events for the athletes, yada, yada, yada. Basically higher ups get more pay and free travel to events and what not. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Remember too that the USGA clings to the "gentleman golfer" amateur romance.  Ie., those that were rich who didn't need to work and had leisure time to become proficient at golf.

And while I am rarely in favor of anything the USGA does, were they seeing entries skyrocket?  These organizations are finding it difficult to find courses to host these qualifiers(members don't want to give up their course).  Maybe they needed to bring the entries down(although they will never say that, they will say it's an "enhancement.")

• Like 1

I think they want a player to be able to play 2 solid rounds on different dates as opposed to someone having a great day or being at their home course. If it doesn't work after a few years they can tweak it. But someone having a -5 first 10 holes and then shooting +1 for 26 holes can happen. A player shooting well at 2 courses on 2 days is less likely for a marginal player.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chunkitgood said:

Yeah, it’s hell to be the adult in the room and deal with reality and with a bunch of children who won’t.

The amateur champion isn’t going to be a guy taking a couple of days off from selling insurance…and may not even be a Golf WRXer.

As to the distance thing, there’s a problem.  The fact that some people can’t or won’t understand why it’s a problem doesn’t change the reality of it being a problem, so they manned up and did something despite the inevitable invective it was bound to elicit.

USGA deserves an adult beverage or two.

Mike Whan what are you doing here!?

The change seems fine to me, but only having 45 local qualifying sites seems small?  That's less than 1 per state, so people are going to be traveling a long way to get to locals.  I assume they'll just host something in the 45 biggest cities?  If I were in charge, I'd increase the number of local sites to have more widespread geographic coverage for the opening qualifiers.  

I'm guessing most people that actually qualify for the US open are not working folk...but that being said I do see the argument.

I also don't really thinks the USGA competition committee cares one iota about true amateurs or common working folk though. These are people that they use old 9 irons to shoo away from their Mercedes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Actually…it would be interesting if they kicked the college players out.  After all they already have their own NCAA championship.  

Have the college kids invaded the state amateur championships?  The last time I knew who the champion of my state was he was a guy in real estate I used to play with sometimes.  It was a while ago but there were probably college kids even then who could have taken him.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AmateurAmateur said:

By now we have all seen the news on rolling back the ball. For the most part it has not been well received, and those who tend to think it is a good idea fail to give reasons why that aren't easily disputed. 

However most recently the USGA made changes to the Qualifying criteria for it's Amateur Championships- which have also not been well received and with good reason. By eliminating the 36 hole qualifier and making it an 18 hole qualifier with a second stage 18 hole qualifier, the USGA is essentially making it impossible for the common am to play this event. Potential hopeful qualifiers are now forced to travel twice. Meaning the costs double. Two trips, two hotel rooms, two practice round fees.... you name it. For those of us that work, that's an extra 2 or three days off work to try and qualify. 

How does the USGA possibly sit in a room, have a discussion, and come to the conclusion this is a good idea. Absolute dumpster fire of an organisation these last two months. I hope they listen to the feedback they've been getting/will get and realise that they don't determine what is best for the game of golf- those of us who play it do.

Maybe you missed this less “edgy”take because of your hangover. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, seanjk123 said:

Curious on the rationale here. Unless they felt they were consistently missing out on top players, why do this?

competitive golf is enough of a time commitment as it is for working folk….. why force another day? If they can point to top guys not qualifying, change exemption criteria….

Maybe trying to reduce numbers?  I don’t know.  For the Open yes, two stages makes sense.  For an amateur event they’re crazy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, So_Cal said:

I get it but they should play better.  One day is plenty.  It’s an amateur tournament and people have lives. 

Agreed on all accounts. The nice thing about the way it’s currently set up is that anyone who meets the handicap criteria can keep the dream alive of playing for a national championship; all it takes is one day of being “on.” Stretch this to 54 holes across multiple days before getting to the actual national event and the mathematical odds of someone with a 1 handicap making it are astronomically impossible. But like others have said, maybe that’s what they’re trying to accomplish. 

• Like 1

• SheriffBooth changed the title to USGA Changes Qualifying Rules - Is the USGA Drunk?