2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Will Zalatoris needs to go see Bob Rotella immediately. It’s all in his head.

Frankensteins Monster

Zalatoris might have putted well for a brief period, but his seasonal rankings are still pretty crappy. To be honest though with his stroke I'm surprised he's even ranked as high as he has been. 

2021: 122nd

2022: 103rd

2023: 137th

For comparison Vijay Singh won 9 times in 2004 with similar stats. 129th in SGP that season.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Golfnutgalen said:

Zalatoris might have putted well for a brief period, but his seasonal rankings are still pretty crappy. To be honest though with his stroke I'm surprised he's even ranked as high as he has been. 

2021: 122nd

2022: 103rd

2023: 137th

For comparison Vijay Singh won 9 times in 2004 with similar stats. 129th in SGP that season.

Putting is read, speed, and starting line. Zalatoris seems to be OK at the first two but his stroke lets him down for sure on the third. I'm sure there are guys who are relatively crappy at all three out there.

Besides that, SG:Putting is based on performance from similar ranges but doesn't tell you anything about how many times you get in that range, right? A guy can be dead last in make percentage inside 10 feet and therefore worst in SG:Putting but if he's hitting it close twice as often as average, he's still making more birdies. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, otto6457 said:

It's so hard to watch him putt anything inside of five feet.  My stomach starts to churn just knowing what's about to happen.  I can't imagine what it's like inside of his head'

I know exactly what it's like. Not on tour, but Club Championships, State Am's, etc still make us feel all nervy and stuff. I used to HATE hitting it inside 5' or lagging to 2-3'. I knew it had no chance of going in and if it did it was dumb luck. It's a terrible feeling when you legit wanted to be 8' from the hole rather than 3'. Broomstick (not anchored) solved it for me. It brought other challenges though (speed control was very difficult) but I gained a boatload of confidence inside 5'. Then I went back to conventional (with left hand low) and the claw inside 10' and haven't looked back since. Been about 2 years that way. 

On the one hand I'm surprised at how persistent some of the tour pros are and how unwilling to change or try new things they can be. Spieth comes to mind. On the other hand I get that they want to stick with something that has given them so much success at a former time. There are just so many different shapes, weights, colors, styles of putter heads and putter grips that when combined with the different types of putting methods gives you an almost infinite array of ways to try and get the stupid little ball into its stupid little hole. 

I get the feeling if Will putted with his wedge inside 5' he'd see better results right now.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

Yes, the heavier the putter gets the more it resembles that for sure. 

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

20 hours ago, b.mattay said:

His putting stroke is not a big deal. I get the exact same loopies inside 4-5 feet when I use a heavy putter. Doesn't affect much. 

He's 137th in SG putting this year. Last year he was 103rd. It's not good. He'd be at dominant as Rahm otherwise.

6 hours ago, ac6 said:

Besides that, SG:Putting is based on performance from similar ranges but doesn't tell you anything about how many times you get in that range, right? A guy can be dead last in make percentage inside 10 feet and therefore worst in SG:Putting but if he's hitting it close twice as often as average, he's still making more birdies. 

Exactly the point, it's an objective measure of hit putting ability vs the field.  Imagine how many birds he'd make if he were top 20 or even top 50 on tour. His putting his holding him back big time.

4 hours ago, b.mattay said:

Yes, the heavier the putter gets the more it resembles that for sure. 

His putter isn’t even especially heavy

i use a 460+ gram odyssey 7 and don’t have any “loopies” like that.

he’s sucking the putter directly toward his body for no apparent reason and I’m sure he doesn’t want to do that.

that’s called the yips

it would probably be even more pronounced if he had a blade putter 

• Like 1

I had no idea about the Scott Fawcett drama. I follow his IG once in awhile, he has some good strategy content. I didn't realize he's such an a******.

Also I feel dirty after watching the 2 clips of Wil putting. I wonder if he has tried side saddle or putting 1 handed. I would have to imagine he has tried everything. 

On 3/23/2023 at 3:42 PM, kmbean said:

I still think it’s cool Beavis made it to the pro tour.

B6C2C0F6-1062-434E-8841-140C88482BB4.webp

Who plays the part of Butthead?

• Haha 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 3/24/2023 at 11:12 AM, gunmetal said:

I know exactly what it's like. Not on tour, but Club Championships, State Am's, etc still make us feel all nervy and stuff. I used to HATE hitting it inside 5' or lagging to 2-3'. I knew it had no chance of going in and if it did it was dumb luck. It's a terrible feeling when you legit wanted to be 8' from the hole rather than 3'. Broomstick (not anchored) solved it for me. It brought other challenges though (speed control was very difficult) but I gained a boatload of confidence inside 5'. Then I went back to conventional (with left hand low) and the claw inside 10' and haven't looked back since. Been about 2 years that way. 

On the one hand I'm surprised at how persistent some of the tour pros are and how unwilling to change or try new things they can be. Spieth comes to mind. On the other hand I get that they want to stick with something that has given them so much success at a former time. There are just so many different shapes, weights, colors, styles of putter heads and putter grips that when combined with the different types of putting methods gives you an almost infinite array of ways to try and get the stupid little ball into its stupid little hole. 

I get the feeling if Will putted with his wedge inside 5' he'd see better results right now.

I'm with you.  I played at a D2 college and a few club championships back in my hey day and nerves are very real.  The worst is standing over any putt where you know the outcome could determine the winner/winning team.  There's been a few times where my stomach would churn to the point where I almost threw up.  As for Willy Z, he's one of the best ball strikers on tour and hits the ball a mile and that alone will keep him relative for years to come baring any more serious injuries.  Herniated discs is no joke as I have three in my back.  If he ever gets that putting stroke cleaned up, watch out, he's going to start winning on the regular.  Another guy who's long and an excellent ball striker but is mediocre in putting is Luke List.  He only has one win but could've had many more.  Difference between these two is that List is on the back end of his prime while Willy Z has yet to hit his IMO. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

23 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I'm with you.  I played at a D2 college and a few club championships back in my hey day and nerves are very real.  The worst is standing over any putt where you know the outcome could determine the winner/winning team.  There's been a few times where my stomach would churn to the point where I almost threw up.  As for Willy Z, he's one of the best ball strikers on tour and hits the ball a mile and that alone will keep him relative for years to come baring any more serious injuries.  Herniated discs is no joke as I have three in my back.  If he ever gets that putting stroke cleaned up, watch out, he's going to start winning on the regular.  Another guy who's long and an excellent ball striker but is mediocre in putting is Luke List.  He only has one win but could've had many more.  Difference between these two is that List is on the back end of his prime while Willy Z has yet to hit his IMO. 

Willy Z in 30 years.

Best Rico Steak GIFs | Gfycat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He is the one that I'd love to just see get a side saddle putter.  While I don't have the stabbies with a short putter like he does, my stroke with a short putter was pretty bad, and like everyone else has said, it was literally just one of those hit and hope inside 5ft.  Side saddle putting and getting my hands apart and focusing on a straight back/straight through path made it so much easier than putting on an arc.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

On 3/24/2023 at 1:02 AM, straightshot7 said:

He's lucky he made contact there.  He's going to have a swing and a miss on a short putt one day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find that for me, anything inside of 5 feet I just need to do it quickly. Take one look, trust my first read, one practice and hit. I make a much higher percentage of them doing that than taking a long time trying to overread it. Guys I play with just shake their heads because I make a lot of them...I'm like, f it, Just hit it. Outside of 5 feet, I take a little more time. He's too in his own head....I recognize it, because that's how I am on a tee box. I'm a pretty good putter......I can hit anything within 270 yards off the tee EXCEPT the fairway....LOL

M

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

I was watching a lot of the footage where his short stroke gets really loopy and he hits it so far out of the toe of the putter it's scary. Love watching him play so I feel for him.

Ping G425 Max 10.5° @ 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 65 X
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3w 15° Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70 X

Srixon ZX Mk II Utility 4 23° @ 22° Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 5 - P Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 50.08F, 54.10S & 58.08M
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

He’s got the yips and fighting them. 

just look at what Bernhard Langer’s stroke look like as a young player

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

On 3/26/2023 at 4:03 AM, phizzy30 said:

Yep.  I feel for Will Z.  I was a pretty good ball striker in my younger years.  I remember playing in the NorCal high school individual championship as a senior.  I had 18 GIRs and ended up shooting 78.  I three putted the first 6 holes to play my way out of contention from the start, none of the birdie putts outside of 25' or so.  I wish I could say it has improved over the years, but I had men's club tournament rounds with 42 and 43 putts respectively within the past two years.  Lol.