2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2023 ANWA

19 minutes ago, iBanesto said:

You never fail when you wear a bucket hat...

That rhymes right?

😅

@iBanesto In honor of Anna Davis' bucket hat ...

I asked ChatGPT (and Bard) to "write me a poem about bucket hats and golf, in iambic pentameter":

..I think ChatGPT's output here = more compelling!

From ChatGPT:

"Of bucket hats and golf, let's sing a tune, A pairing that might seem quite out of place, But on the greens, they form a perfect boon, And lend a sense of style and classic grace.

The bucket hat, with brim so wide and round, Is not just made for fishermen at sea, It shades the eyes and keeps the head quite sound, When golfers aim their shots so carefully.

The golf course can be hot and bright as well, But with this hat, the sun is kept at bay, The golfer can then swing and smoothly dwell, Without a worry or a thought to stray.

In iambic pentameter we speak, The rhythm of the game and hat in tune, For every stroke, a hat atop the peak, A perfect match, both day and afternoon.

So, let us praise the bucket hat and golf, A classic pair that's stood the test of time, And let us hope that future games will solve, With hats and clubs, we'll play the game sublime."

From "Bard.google.com"

"Oh, bucket hat, you keep me cool, And shield my face from the sun, While I swing my club and play my round, With you, my friend, beside me.

You're made of fabric light and airy, And your brim is wide and round, It shades my eyes and keeps the glare From blinding me as I play.

I love the way you look on me, And how you make me feel, Like I can conquer any course, With you, my bucket hat, by my side."

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

I know little about her besides her achievements......but

She's chosen to represent Malaysia not Oz, which is fine if that's the country with whom you identify.

Went to a high school about 500 yards from where I lived with my parents for awhile and then to one of Melbourne's best and most expensive private girl's schools (St. Catherine's).

Is a member at Metropolitan GC, one of Oz's great courses and a wonderful Melbourne sand belt course.

21 minutes ago, Tom Kelly said:

What struck me about the coverage was how confident, eloquent and self-assured these young lady amateurs were when interviewed. They don't just coach them at golf, it seems, highly polished.

@Tom Kelly "+1" i.e. Agreed... many of them have had the benefit of the best private schools and privileged backgrounds (e.g. per @Rapidcat's insights yesterday, w.r.t. Jeneath Wong)

... albeit isn't always a 'given' that those born with a silver spoon = turn out to be hardworking, accomplished, eloquent young adults either!

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Tom Kelly "+1" i.e. Agreed... many of them have had the benefit of the best private schools and privileged backgrounds (e.g. per @Rapidcat's insights yesterday, w.r.t. Jeneath Wong)

... albeit isn't always a 'given' that those born with a silver spoon = turn out to be hardworking, accomplished, eloquent young adults either!

and @Tom Kelly, I had the same thoughts, impressive.

Got to say though that they are being educated at decent universities that have an academic component and it would be a blight on any such institution if their student-athletes get part/full way through their curriculum and can't conduct a formal conversation in public. They must do plenty of presentations through their studies.

• Like 3

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

18 hours ago, BrianMcG said:

They are reporting Anna may have to card a 9 for the first hole instead of a 5. She took a preferred lie in the first cut. They are playing preferred lies in the fairway due to all the rain. 

When we are playing preferred lies, lift clean place or there are washed out bunkers we get a print out of the rule changes when we check in.  

3 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Hopefully it’ll stay on streaming when GC has to cut away for PGA. 

@Seamus_MacDuff Please share the Streaming Link? I can't find it!

And there doesn't seem to be a streaming Link on the ANWA website for me ... wondering if you're streaming via elsewhere e.g. Golf Channel?

13 hours ago, Tom Kelly said:

What struck me about the coverage was how confident, eloquent and self-assured these young lady amateurs were when interviewed. They don't just coach them at golf, it seems, highly polished.

This is very true.  Just saw a post-round interview with GIanna Clemente, incredibly poised for 15.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@iBanesto As a/the Lorena Ochoa aficionado around here

... do you agree with Beth Ann Nichols' observation w.r.t. Zhang = has a Ochoa vibe?

There are similarities between Ochoa and Zhang in terms of their dominance of amateur golf.

That steely confidence.

633826.jpg

1648828280131.jpeg

• Like 1

Why do some of the players (Castle, Tamburlini) have their skirts tucked into their knickers?

Honestly, just perplexed and admit my ignorance on this subject.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

9 minutes ago, MilkyButterCuts said:

Call it what you want, but the question has to be asked - is Zhang possibly the Tiger of the LPGA? Watching her play, its almost alarming how in control she is... 

'Tiger of the LPGA'?

She's not even a pro 

Bizarre comment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MilkyButterCuts said:

Call it what you want, but the question has to be asked - is Zhang possibly the Tiger of the LPGA? Watching her play, its almost alarming how in control she is... 

She is just approaching Kos world number 1 armature ranking length I believe. Ko already had a LPGA win and title defense as an am as well, and Ko was what 4 years younger. Zhang could be the next tiger, but shes got massive shoes to fill on the LPGA.

Edited by Tasals
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MilkyButterCuts said:

Tiger won 3 straight US Junior Amateurs followed by 3 straight US Amateurs.

Zhang has 1 US Girl's Jr and 1 US Women's Am. She's really good, but she isn't even the Tiger of women's amateur golf.

Maybe slow your roll there a little bit buddy 😉

• Haha 1

I don't think it's an unreasonable question, but no, she's not Tiger of the LPGA, present or future.

Rose is a highly successful amateur, but there are others both present and in the recent past with similar accomplishments.

Tiger was an unprecedented winner, both as an amateur and as a young pro.  Totally different scale.

It's enough if Rose is on the Lydia Ko track.  If she turns out to be Lorena or Annika or Nancy Lopez, great.  But we don't know yet.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MilkyButterCuts said:

As great as Zhang's amateur career is going, it is not close to Tiger's amateur achievements.

BTW the dominance of Zhang is absolutely amazing and she deserves all the credit she is getting at the moment.

Amateur wins (21)

Amateur wins

• 2016 AJGA - CJGT Junior at Yorba Linda
  • 2017 Junior PGA Championship, Junior America's Cup
  • 2018 ANA Junior Inspiration, Swinging Skirts AJGA Invitational, The PING Invitational
  • 2019 Toyota Junior World Cup, Swinging Skirts AJGA Invitational, Rolex Tournament of Champions
  • 2020 U.S. Women's Amateur, Rolex Girls Junior Championship, The PING Invitational, Rolex Tournament of Champions
  • 2021 U.S. Girls' Junior, Molly Collegiate Invitational, Windy City Collegiate Classic, Stanford Intercollegiate, Spirit International Amateur Championship (individual)
  • 2022 NCAA Championship[14]
Edited by iBanesto