Shot my best round ever. Or did I?

ShowMe

Last week, I was 13 holes into my best round of golf ever, and then it started to rain...and thunder...and lightning.

I will preface the story by saying that my previous best 18 hole score was a 68...4 under par.  I've shot that at least 10 times, but could never break the barrier and go lower.  And the most I had ever been under par at any one time was 5 under par.

Starting out I knew it was going to rain and possibly storm.  It was just a matter of could I finish before the storms started.  I was one of the few on the course and I resolved to play very quickly, given the forecast.  And by quickly, I mean no thinking, no practice swings, no reading the greens.  Just stepping up to ball and hitting it.  

I started with birdies on 3 of the first 4 holes, with 1 bogey in between.  So 2 under after 4...not too bad of a start, but nothing overly special either.  Then after a par, I birdie the next 4 holes in a row.  Suddenly, I'm 6 under after 9!...two better than my previous best 9 hole score.  So 7 birdies after 9 holes, three more than my previous best.  With 11 putts.  I literally could not miss a putt.  Three of them were from 25+ feet.  It was like I was having the best golf dream of my life, but it was real.  Front 9 finished in 1 hour, 5 minutes.

Then I birdie the 10th hole, sinking a 15 footer to go 7 under.  This is un-freaking-believable.  Like I've won the golf lottery.  I'm beside myself.  But I can see the clouds gathering in the distance.  Gotta keep moving fast.

Bogey the 11th hole...a careless drive trying to rush.  Back to 6 under.  The clouds grow closer.  Par the 12th hole.  Still at 6 under.  It starts to lightly rain and I can hear thunder in the distance.

The 13th hole is a Par 5.  I hit driver, 3 wood and am on in two...about 25 feet from the hole.  Make the putt for an eagle.  8 UNDER PAR after 13!!!  I'm just floating on air at this point.  It was surreal.  Everything is clicking.  I can do no wrong.  But here comes the storm.  I step onto the 14th tee box and the sky opens up.  Rain.  Thunder.  Lightning.  High winds.

I seek some shelter hoping the storm will pass quickly so I can finish my best round ever while I'm still hot.  An hour later, I'm still under the shelter and the marshalls are telling me the course is closing early.  Still storming.  Casual water all over the course and the greens.  

One word - DEVASTATING.  I get a rain check and finish the round the next day.  Shot even par over the last 5 holes.  All the magic from the previous day was gone.  So it was still my best score ever...an 8 under par, 64.  Or was it?

So long story, short - Can I count this as my best round ever or does the rain-out negate the whole round?  Anybody know?

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

I believe that you need to play with someone to verify your score for official handicap posting purposes. And others may know for sure but I think if that first criteria was met you’d only be able to count the first 9, then go back and finish another 9 for a complete 18 hole score.

But in your own personal record book do whatever you’d like!

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I’d think there’s two different questions here.

First for a score for handicap purposes, you can’t post it if you played alone.  

Secondly as often happens on tour, weather, darkness etc. requires finishing the round the next day, and absolutely those scores count.  

For claiming your best round ever, take some joy in your 64, but I wouldn’t be telling everyone, they’re likely going to ask, “Who were you playing with? “ 

Edited by st1800e
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DoughBack18 said:

I believe that you need to play with someone to verify your score for official handicap posting purposes. And others may know for sure but I think if that first criteria was met you’d only be able to count the first 9, then go back and finish another 9 for a complete 18 hole score.

But in your own personal record book do whatever you’d like!

Understood.  I never post solo rounds for handicap purposes.

OP  .......

OP.webp

Edited by kmay__
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I think the classic.  “if you have to ask, you already know”. Is in play here.

• Like 2

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

3 hours ago, weavej1 said:

I think the classic.  “if you have to ask, you already know”. Is in play here.

Re-reading this thread,,,,,,, I believe we've been punked. :classic_laugh:

Good job OP. 👍

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 3/29/2023 at 6:29 PM, ShowMe said:

Last week, I was 13 holes into my best round of golf ever, and then it started to rain...and thunder...and lightning.

I will preface the story by saying that my previous best 18 hole score was a 68...4 under par.  I've shot that at least 10 times, but could never break the barrier and go lower.  And the most I had ever been under par at any one time was 5 under par.

Starting out I knew it was going to rain and possibly storm.  It was just a matter of could I finish before the storms started.  I was one of the few on the course and I resolved to play very quickly, given the forecast.  And by quickly, I mean no thinking, no practice swings, no reading the greens.  Just stepping up to ball and hitting it.  

I started with birdies on 3 of the first 4 holes, with 1 bogey in between.  So 2 under after 4...not too bad of a start, but nothing overly special either.  Then after a par, I birdie the next 4 holes in a row.  Suddenly, I'm 6 under after 9!...two better than my previous best 9 hole score.  So 7 birdies after 9 holes, three more than my previous best.  With 11 putts.  I literally could not miss a putt.  Three of them were from 25+ feet.  It was like I was having the best golf dream of my life, but it was real.  Front 9 finished in 1 hour, 5 minutes.

Then I birdie the 10th hole, sinking a 15 footer to go 7 under.  This is un-freaking-believable.  Like I've won the golf lottery.  I'm beside myself.  But I can see the clouds gathering in the distance.  Gotta keep moving fast.

Bogey the 11th hole...a careless drive trying to rush.  Back to 6 under.  The clouds grow closer.  Par the 12th hole.  Still at 6 under.  It starts to lightly rain and I can hear thunder in the distance.

The 13th hole is a Par 5.  I hit driver, 3 wood and am on in two...about 25 feet from the hole.  Make the putt for an eagle.  8 UNDER PAR after 13!!!  I'm just floating on air at this point.  It was surreal.  Everything is clicking.  I can do no wrong.  But here comes the storm.  I step onto the 14th tee box and the sky opens up.  Rain.  Thunder.  Lightning.  High winds.

I seek some shelter hoping the storm will pass quickly so I can finish my best round ever while I'm still hot.  An hour later, I'm still under the shelter and the marshalls are telling me the course is closing early.  Still storming.  Casual water all over the course and the greens.  

One word - DEVASTATING.  I get a rain check and finish the round the next day.  Shot even par over the last 5 holes.  All the magic from the previous day was gone.  So it was still my best score ever...an 8 under par, 64.  Or was it?

So long story, short - Can I count this as my best round ever or does the rain-out negate the whole round?  Anybody know?

Im curious... 79 is my best score.. as a player who has shot 68 a bunch... what do you put a premium on in your game? Sounds like you hit a straight drive an iron maybe? Im sure not to much managment if you mostly fairway and green.

1 hour ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Im curious... 79 is my best score.. as a player who has shot 68 a bunch... what do you put a premium on in your game? Sounds like you hit a straight drive an iron maybe? Im sure not to much managment if you mostly fairway and green.

I want to answer this question but don't want to hijack the thread...

OP, when you went back out the next day, did you start on 14 or 10?  If you started on 14, congrats on the best round ever!  In any tournament with a rain delay, you pick back up where you left off, and the round definitely counts.  If you started on 10, I'm afraid you've played a few practice holes in the middle of your best round.  

to iNeedMoreGolf, I've aways felt the milestones were like this

1. Breaking 100 - full swing.  Groove a decent swing where you can move the ball toward the hole on all of your shots.  It doesn't take a great short game to get mostly bogeys and doubles, and an occasional par to offset an extra double or triple.  
  2. Breaking 90 - short game.  You've got the swing to get the ball near the green in regulation.  Now you need to turn some of those bogeys into pars and turn some of the 3-putts into 2-putts.  Your short game can start to save you from your few OB and water balls.
  3. Breaking 80 - full swing.  Now that your short game can minimize the doubles and 3-putts, you need to start hitting more greens in regulation.  That means keeping your tee shots in play and getting those iron shots on the green with some birdie putts.  
  4. Breaking 70 - short game, short game and short game.  You need to be able to hit your chips and pitches close enough for a legitimate look at making the putt and also convert on some birdie opportunities.  I'm similar to the OP - six 69s, never lower.  I've found if I take more than 30 putts, no chance I'm under par.
Edited by jacob7071
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I don't try to hit it straight.  That's too difficult for me to consistently do.  My natural tendency is to draw the ball, so I play for the draw and take the right side out of play.  And while it doesn't mean that I hit every fairway and every green, it does mean that my ball is playable more often than not.  That said, I will from time to time get stuck and push one out to the right, which is why I'm not hitting every fairway.  lol

Also, I learned what swing works best for me thru trial and error.  Never had a lesson, but did learn on my own about a lot of different swing patterns and experimented until I found the one that works best for me.  I also stopped trying to have the perfect swing (a la Adam Scott) and created an ugly looking one that works for me.  Mind you it doesn't feel ugly when I'm doing it.  But it sure does look ugly when my buddies film it.  Lol.

So my focus is on fairways and greens and taking the right side out of play.  I don't spend much time practicing pitching and chipping, though, which holds me back from shooting low scores more often.  I'd rather spend my time playing than practicing.  And my putting stroke is pretty solid.  I can consistently hit it where I want to, it's more a matter of reading the break correctly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacob7071 said:

OP, when you went back out the next day, did you start on 14 or 10?  If you started on 14, congrats on the best round ever!  In any tournament with a rain delay, you pick back up where you left off, and the round definitely counts.  If you started on 10, I'm afraid you've played a few practice holes in the middle of your best round.  

1. Breaking 100 - full swing.  Groove a decent swing where you can move the ball toward the hole on all of your shots.  It doesn't take a great short game to get mostly bogeys and doubles, and an occasional par to offset an extra double or triple.  
  2. Breaking 90 - short game.  You've got the swing to get the ball near the green in regulation.  Now you need to turn some of those bogeys into pars and turn some of the 3-putts into 2-putts.  Your short game can start to save you from your few OB and water balls.
  3. Breaking 80 - full swing.  Now that your short game can minimize the doubles and 3-putts, you need to start hitting more greens in regulation.  That means keeping your tee shots in play and getting those iron shots on the green with some birdie putts.  
  4. Breaking 70 - short game, short game and short game.  You need to be able to hit your chips and pitches close enough for a legitimate look at making the putt and also convert on some birdie opportunities.  I'm similar to the OP - six 69s, never lower.  I've found if I take more than 30 putts, no chance I'm under par.

I started on 14.  I was playing solo, so it couldn't count it for handicap purposes, but I do count my solo rounds as personal bests if I happen to make one.  Just like a bowler would count a perfect game (a 300), for example, as their personal best if they were bowling solo.

I agree with you on the short game being key once you have a repeatable swing, but I hit 17 greens when I shot that 64, so the short game didn't come into play that much.  🙂

But honestly, the key to that round was the putting.  I literally could not miss for the first 13 holes.  3 feet.  12 feet.  25 feet.  35 feet.  I was making everything.  It was like the hole was a magnet and my ball was made out of steel.  And I was rushing to beat the storm, so I didn't read the break or anything.  Just stepped up to the putt and hit it.  Maybe I was in the infamous "Zone" or something.  Not sure but it felt great.  

3 hours ago, jacob7071 said:

Thats a great explanation and view of some of the keys to shooting lower. Ive shot 79 one time and was close a bunch of times to break into 70s. My 79 should have and could have been lower but i flubbed the last 2 holes a bit. Almost didnt shoot the 79 had to make a wierd 3 footer lol. Its pretty apperent to me you have to be playing a prtty clean striking game to go low.

Pros get to come back the next day and finish rounds that are suspended.  You could try and use that somehow. 

Otherwise IMO no different than having a hot 9 in the evening and “finishing” the round the next day, or a week later, by playing the other 9 and claiming a personal best - I say congrats on your best 13. 

8 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I'm an old fart who spent a big part of his life chaseing breaking 80 and had a couple putts at doing it, that I didn't make.

My son has quickly got a lot better than me.  As he goes through breaking those milestones, I've noticed the most important thing to track him is his bad rounds and not focus on the PB type rounds.    He was getting the odd 75 or 77 last year, but also phis share posting his share of high 80s/90s or just giving up.    

A year later most of his good rounds are still in the mid-high 70s but his bad rounds are 82-84.     Every aspect of his game is more solid than last year, and today just shot his pb of 73 on a par 72/6500 course.   I don't think there is an easy answer except to be on the course every day working on every aspect of the game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TroyB123 said:

I'm an old fart who spent a big part of his life chaseing breaking 80 and had a couple putts at doing it, that I didn't make.

My son has quickly got a lot better than me.  As he goes through breaking those milestones, I've noticed the most important thing to track him is his bad rounds and not focus on the PB type rounds.    He was getting the odd 75 or 77 last year, but also phis share posting his share of high 80s/90s or just giving up.    

A year later most of his good rounds are still in the mid-high 70s but his bad rounds are 82-84.     Every aspect of his game is more solid than last year, and today just shot his pb of 73 on a par 72/6500 course.   I don't think there is an easy answer except to be on the course every day working on every aspect of the game.

Its crazy it truly takes every part of your game to be solid which is hard.

10 hours ago, ShowMe said:

I don't try to hit it straight.  That's too difficult for me to consistently do.  My natural tendency is to draw the ball, so I play for the draw and take the right side out of play.  And while it doesn't mean that I hit every fairway and every green, it does mean that my ball is playable more often than not.  That said, I will from time to time get stuck and push one out to the right, which is why I'm not hitting every fairway.  lol

Also, I learned what swing works best for me thru trial and error.  Never had a lesson, but did learn on my own about a lot of different swing patterns and experimented until I found the one that works best for me.  I also stopped trying to have the perfect swing (a la Adam Scott) and created an ugly looking one that works for me.  Mind you it doesn't feel ugly when I'm doing it.  But it sure does look ugly when my buddies film it.  Lol.

So my focus is on fairways and greens and taking the right side out of play.  I don't spend much time practicing pitching and chipping, though, which holds me back from shooting low scores more often.  I'd rather spend my time playing than practicing.  And my putting stroke is pretty solid.  I can consistently hit it where I want to, it's more a matter of reading the break correctly.

Yeah i dont get to practice either and would rather use my time to just play. Kinda figuring it out on the go alot of the times. My putting is usually very solid. Driving could have a good day or bad day and same with irons. If im on its a good day with both and chipping is usually decent. Ive noticed really good days are actually boring. Its just good drive, good second shot, either a chip or not, and a 1 or 2 putt with only maybe 1 or 2 bad holes. Good days feel like a breeze. First game i played this year 92.. ground was soft... couldnt chip.. drives were good.. irons were off. Putting was lights out.

This game is hilarious. I could go out in a few days and shoot low 80s if ground is ok and irons are on. Im not a good soft ground player if anybody cant tell.

Absolutely. Rain Delays happen all the time. And I’d tell anyone I’d want, people are always gonna believe or not believe you. I’ve heard numerous times “So and so shot 67 playing with so and so. But they are buddies so who knows if it’s true.” Who cares? Enjoy the game you know the truth. Congrats on 64 that is astounding play especially being aware of it as you go.

• Like 2

Just imagine you were on tv. It started to rain, and you played a bit. Then it rained harder and you went to the shelter.

(Insert shot of some USGA guy sounding an air-horn)

You're waiting in the shelter, the broadcast goes to the studio show before throwing on a rerun of Cheers. A little box in the corner says "2023 US Open: Play Suspended"

The marshal comes to tell you the course is closing = The broadcast cuts to a press conference explaining play is suspended for the day and they will finish the rounds tomorrow hoping to avoid a Monday finish

You come back the next day, (I forget if the USGA blows a restart horn typically) and you play out your round for 64. Simple enough for me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 6:29 PM, ShowMe said:

A round played alone with nothing on the line is meaningless.

27 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

To say the least. I’m a 17 HC, so pars feel like birdies. Had 10 pars in my last round and still shot +14. 

Thats the crazy part lol im guessing you shot around 84 to 86. My best round ever a 79 on a par 71 course. Ten pars no birdies eight bogeys. And i barely made it lol. I played the same course the other day and shot 87 after some bad aproaches mainly. This game is wayy harder to shoot low then i though. And shooting anywhere in the 80s is actually a wayy better accomplishment then it seems. If you shoot 70s by any you had a great day. I dont practice never had a lesson and play about once a week. So 70s is allways the goal for having a lights out day. But mid low 80s has to be givin respect. This game is hard.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dokex said:

I've had some of my best and most meaningful rounds playing alone - "meaningful" can be anything to anyone.  Same with "on the line" - what does that mean?  Money, lol? Threat of execution? 

My lowest 18 was in a tournament, until . . . it was also on a wonderful, course empty, drizzly Saturday morning playing alone.  The round played alone was infinitely more satisfying for a lot of different reasons and "meant" a lot more than the other to me, still does.

We all have different ways of evaluating our enjoyment on the golf course.  

• Like 3

On 4/23/2023 at 12:18 AM, dokex said:

My wife tells me that golf in and of itself is meaningless.  Wait.  That you, honey?

• Haha 1