How different would golf look today in the USA if carts had never been invented?

Something I have been thinking about recently: the first golf boom (post-war) was pre golf cart era and many clubs were started then. Many more people picked up the sport in the 70s and 80s, and then again during the Tiger boom, and now, COVID and beyond. 

If carts had never been invented, how would the industry be different today? Would the clientele change or be a different size? Speaking with older golfers that I know, they got into the sport for very different reasons than many golfers today. You can see some clientele groups that probably wouldn't exist w/o the modern cart (get drunk bro golfers for one). Maybe fewer older golfers, but then again, maybe not: if walking is the norm, and you play regularly, then you will be by default in good enough shape to walk (my brother's HS coach played/walked all rounds until a stroke in his mid 80's meant too much lost coordination to swing). Course design would be different: tighter and w/o long distances between tees.

I don't really know enough about golf history to speculate too much, but I am wondering what all of you think? Especially those that also played before carts were prevalent. 

• Like 1

We only have 4 buggies at our club. Most are used by visitors or those with medical exemptions. The game is more sociable. you get more exercise and you can take shorter routes. However, our summers rarely get above 80 degrees. Wouldn't fancy walking a course is hotter climes, especially if it was undulating. 

• Like 1

Sure, there would be less bro dudes out there (which would be nice), but you would also eliminate people who have not choice but to ride (due to age, heath, disability, or etc.).

There would definitely be far, far fewer courses than there are now which would probably correlate to higher prices for golf access in general. More courses would have caddy programs which sounds cool until you realize that adds $50+ in tips to every round you play.

You'd also lose the abilityto play all year long in a lot of the SW and SE. No matter how good of shape you're in, it's tough to walk when it's 100+ degrees out...

FWIW I'm all for walking when playing. I usually only ride in club events where it's required or when it's unbearably hot outside. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Sure, there would be less bro dudes out there (which would be nice), but you would also eliminate people who have not choice but to ride (due to age, heath, disability, or etc.).

There would definitely be far, far fewer courses than there are now which would probably correlate to higher prices for golf access in general. More courses would have caddy programs which sounds cool until you realize that adds $50+ in tips to every round you play.

You'd also lose the abilityto play all year long in a lot of the SW and SE. No matter how good of shape you're in, it's tough to walk when it's 100+ degrees out...

FWIW I'm all for walking when playing. I usually only ride in club events where it's required or when it's unbearably hot outside. 

I wonder if the seasons for golf would change. Lots more people here play when it is 95 out than 55 out, probably as they can use a cart. 55 is great if you are walking and generating heat: it can feel really cold in a cart, which is why not many people play in the winter. I will play any time of year but I consider Nov-April to be prime time for me, whereas courses book far more rounds in the summer, even accounting for longer days. 

Or maybe people just wouldn't golf? 

There would be less people playing. I’m thankful for them since I have health issues that can making walking difficult. 

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

In the US carts are a huge money maker and courses would not survive without them. The industry would not be what it is without them.  I'd bet you would lose 75% of all golfers in the US of you couldn't use one.  That said 

Walking is part of the game as far as I'm concerned.  It does make a difference after you've walked 15 holes and still have 3 to go. It's part of the game, you are supposed to get tired, it's a sport. My course is about 8 to 9 miles to walk 18.  Most people can't walk that far yet alone swing a club 80 times in between. 

Edited by 596
  • Like 1

To answer the original question, pretty much what previous posters have said. You would lose a lot of clientele because not everyone plays golf for the same reasons. Some just like the 4-5 hour escape from home life, go out and have a few brews with the boys and do some silly gambling. Others take the game more seriously. Pounding beers, smoking cigars, etc are more easily done in a riding cart. 

I'm someone who tries to walk most of the time, when I can. But I do it with a MotoCaddy because if I carried my bag it would destroy my back, and you'd have to airlift me off hole 8. And last year I had hernia repair surgery, and started to notice I get sore from walking too much. There were several times I had to take a cart just so I could play, even when the rest of the guys in my foursome were walking. I'm 5'7" tall, ~160 lbs, I'm not pro athlete level of fitness, but I'm not out of shape either. However, if I didn't have the cart available as an option last year I wouldn't have been able to play as much. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Golf in the South would be impossible for 6-7 months out of the year. There is a reason why the FL and TX swings are earlier on the PGA Tour. Temp gets to 90-100 around Mid May most years here in TX. You gotta be real brave to play after 12pm June/July/August/September(ish).

Prime example today down in San Antonio its 70 in the morning and by 5pm it will be 93

SIM 10.5

Ai Smoke TD 18 | Apex UW 21

T100 4-50 | 54.S 58.T

NP2 GSS

SrixonXV Divide

2 hours ago, texcellence86 said:

Golf in the South would be impossible for 6-7 months out of the year. There is a reason why the FL and TX swings are earlier on the PGA Tour. Temp gets to 90-100 around Mid May most years here in TX. You gotta be real brave to play after 12pm June/July/August/September(ish).

Prime example today down in San Antonio its 70 in the morning and by 5pm it will be 93

Agree with this. It's barely safe to play in the middle of the summer in carts. If there were no carts courses would make no money in the summer.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

Another thing to think about ... there'd probably be a lot fewer courses. So many modern courses are heavily funded by property sales - which means they wind up super spread out so as to provide as much residential property as possible.

There's a Nicklaus track about an hour-ish outside of Vegas; Coyote Springs. I'm sure more than a few of you have played it! The area - which is in the middle of damn nowhere - was initially supposed to be a master planned community but as I understand it; the housing crash of 2008 (which hit Vegas especially hard) as well as some legal fights over water rights basically killed development. All that was ever built was the golf course. There's seriously nothing else out there. 

Those who've played it surely quickly recognized ... it'd be nearly impossible to walk. Everything is crazy far apart. And if you didn't know any of the aforementioned you'd be like "Why the hell would anyone do this on purpose?"

A quick look at the satellite view will answer that question:

790254370_Screenshot2023-03-30at11_24_37PM.png.73918aeec31246cc498d304612c96c43.png

You can see exactly where the first phase of housing development was supposed to go and a bit of where the next phase would be.

That said - great course. Recommended. NOT easy. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

A perspective from a guy in his fifth decade of golf:

I started playing golf in the 60s. Made good summer money in the 60s and 70s as a caddy at a local private club (as a teenager). Also helped me learn the game (course closed on Mondays for maintenance, but caddies were allowed to play Mondays for free - very common at the time). 

IMO as an old guy? Golf would be very different without carts. They had a significant impact (sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse) on the evolution and growth of the game. 

My perception of changes (+ & -):

Carts killed the idea of caddies. They are now almost non-existent on US courses (though this is not necessarily global). This (IMO) is kind of a negative.

Carts do allow for a lot of people to play that wouldn't otherwise be able to. They helped to greatly expand the game. There's probably a lot more golfers and a lot more courses because of them. There were about 11 million US golfers in 1970 - there are now around 25 million. Carts alone didn't do that, but were certainly a significant contributing factor. Consider this (sad) fact. Close to half the US is overweight. Close to 1/3 is technically obese (those are real stats, and they really disturb me). To walk the average 18 is to walk 6 - 6.5 miles. Probably half of our nation of couch potatoes right now couldn't even walk a mile on a nice temperate day - let alone walk it carrying or pushing a set of clubs. 

So I'm kind of torn. Carts have had a huge impact on the growth of the game - opened the sport to many that wouldn't otherwise play it. But I'm also a hard core old-school traditionalist. To me one of the core components of the game is the walking. I'm now 65, and still walk unless a course absolutely requires me to ride (which many now do - for purely revenue purposes). So, kinda weird, carts simultaneously helped the game and destroyed what the original game was. 

Then again, I know I'm becoming an old curmudgeon - whose viewpoint will soon be history. But golf, to me, will always be what it was for three centuries until the middle 20th century - hitting a ball, walking to where it landed, and hitting it again. 

Mike drop. 🤣

Great question OP.

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Fewer people would play for sure, older folks too not just the those on the portly side. 

I know some older dudes that still love to play but can't walk the course. I also know some on the side of generous proportions that also can't walk a course. 

In the US where something like 70% of the population is overweight and 40% is obese if i recall.....that's a pretty big hit to your numbers

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The impact of the invention of the golf cart varies depending on where you live. In Europe, use is minimal and likely most of it for people with medical reasons. The other extreme is in the US, where mandatory cart usage is frequent in many places. There is definitely a cultural difference.

In most parts of Canada that I have played, there are relatively few courses requiring mandatory carts. Courses built on the residential model like in the US are fortunately rare. Cart usage is not as broad as in the US but lots of people use them. I prefer to walk and with few exceptions, that is possible at most of the courses I play.

I much prefer to walk. My cart usage is limited to very hot days mostly. 

If carts were not invented, the golf landscape would be different, not necessarily a bad thing. 

One more point, I am 69 and have a bad knee. Walking is good for it.

Edited by Hickory4ever
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

RM, there's problem here. A certain level of non-golf conditioning is needed for this to be true.

By the 1990s, USA workers were performing a lot more sedentary jobs than in earlier decades. A majority of the people with enough $$ to play golf often sat in pods  by a computer most of the day. These seated jobs led to strong thigh muscles, but poor lower back flexibility and lower cardio-endurance. This also made carts more attractive.

Yeah, I do think this is a big change in our society. You can't walk a golf course every Sunday or every other Sunday and maintain the fitness level to walk a golf course, if that's all you do. If you're the type of player who can get out to the links 4 times a week, on the other hand, you likely can maintain "golf walking" fitness with nothing else. 

There are a lot more people in the former category than the latter. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

On 3/30/2023 at 12:33 PM, Abh159 said:

Without carts, I could see a lot of the courses around Phoenix just closing completely from around late May until fall overseed is completed, with just the muni courses (which are all pretty flat and easy to walk) remaining open all year. And many courses would never have been built in the first place as they aren't realistically walkable even in cool weather.

Edited by Bonneville85308

A large amount of people wouldn't be playing the game.  Nice to dream.  There are reasons why America is known for obesity. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

On 3/30/2023 at 2:12 PM, RoyalMustang said:

Something I have been thinking about recently: the first golf boom (post-war) was pre golf cart era and many clubs were started then. Many more people picked up the sport in the 70s and 80s, and then again during the Tiger boom, and now, COVID and beyond. 

If carts had never been invented, how would the industry be different today? Would the clientele change or be a different size? Speaking with older golfers that I know, they got into the sport for very different reasons than many golfers today. You can see some clientele groups that probably wouldn't exist w/o the modern cart (get drunk bro golfers for one). Maybe fewer older golfers, but then again, maybe not: if walking is the norm, and you play regularly, then you will be by default in good enough shape to walk (my brother's HS coach played/walked all rounds until a stroke in his mid 80's meant too much lost coordination to swing). Course design would be different: tighter and w/o long distances between tees.

I don't really know enough about golf history to speculate too much, but I am wondering what all of you think? Especially those that also played before carts were prevalent. 

Cart MEN instead of cart girls?   No thank you.